Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Drink drivers kill a lot of people, outside america its probably more people than killed by guns in most countries.
And pot-smoker and other drug users are more prone to violent crime.

But then the average meat-eater kills something every day.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
such a heady brew of moral philosophy in this thread! incredible. such subtle minds!

a meat-eater 'kills' the meat she/he consumes!

an animal life is the same as a human life!

here are three unrelated studies, which i am linking together in a chain of causation through sheer willpower alone!

a brick can kill a person, we should ban all building as well as guns!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Even in my right leaning days, I don't know if I've ever been fully swayed by the "cars and knives kill people, so should we ban those too" side of things. The phrase "common sense gun law" is catchy, but I can't say for sure what all they should entail to be implemented and optimally with a minimum of fuss. Banning just assault style weapons wouldn't make sense to me as the nuclear option considering the other weapons used in mass shootings.
uziq
+492|3450
i worry about the conceptual and reasoning ability of people who can’t discern between something which belongs in the category of ‘weapon’, whose very essence is weapon-ness, if you want to be aristotlean about it, with, say, a ‘vehicle’ or a ‘building material’. guns exist to kill things. they shoot projectiles. in their logic this is either a defense to pre-empt others with weapons, or an offence. a gun cannot be used to put up a shelf, like, say, a ball pein hammer. a gun cannot be used to commute to work.

this stuff really isn’t complicated. all these bad analogies and obfuscations have a name in logic: sophistry.

laws and regulations deal with categories and classifications. none of these frivolous logical arguments would withstand any legal scrutiny. which i suppose is why gun people hinge their legal objections and defenses on a piece of parchment which they elevate to Scripture.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-04 03:22:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Growing up, my household had one of those "gran'pa jack" booklets that I think was picked up at the gun store on a lark. A pro-gun propaganda comic aimed towards children. Quite the rabbit hole if you can find a pdf online.

https://i.imgur.com/gTCdwzn.gif
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i worry about the conceptual and reasoning ability of people who can’t discern between something which belongs in the category of ‘weapon’, whose very essence is weapon-ness, if you want to be aristotlean about it, with, say, a ‘vehicle’ or a ‘building material’. guns exist to kill things. they shoot projectiles. in their logic this is either a defense to pre-empt others with weapons, or an offence. a gun cannot be used to put up a shelf, like, say, a ball pein hammer. a gun cannot be used to commute to work.

this stuff really isn’t complicated. all these bad analogies and obfuscations have a name in logic: sophistry.

laws and regulations deal with categories and classifications. none of these frivolous logical arguments would withstand any legal scrutiny. which i suppose is why gun people hinge their legal objections and defenses on a piece of parchment which they elevate to Scripture.
Pochsy's argument was 'killing things is bad' OK, stop eating meat then.
uziq
+492|3450
good, yes, things, yes. now let's think about two logical predicates of 'thing', a 'human' thing and an 'animal' thing. might we think about these differently?

please answer in no more than 500 words. homework due next tuesday.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats the answer egotists always come up with, 'I can kill things because I'm better than them'.

I bet thats what the spree-shooter says to himself as he fills his mags and puts on his tactical gear.
uziq
+492|3450
whilst dusting down his BA(Hons) framed certificate, of course.

i'm not really in the mood to go into the ethics of why an animal life might be considered 'lesser' than a human life. i don't think many argue for killing animals gratuitously or to satisfy the ego -- lots of people are against hunting, you know. we have killed animals out of necessity for meat and materials for most of the history of human civilization. if there's a bright tomorrow on the horizon when we can do without those sources, i'm all for it. but the ethics of killing animals for food or clothing are quite well-established. your characterization of it as psychopathic is in-itself completely defective.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-04 04:39:11)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't agree, we really don't need to eat meat, protein is completely overrated - we do because we enjoy it.

The average horse is bigger, stronger, fitter, faster, smarter and better conversation than you and yet hasn't consumed a single speck of meat in its life.

makes u think

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-04 06:43:08)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
About how dumb you sound?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3450
lmao comparing humans to herbivores. cows don't eat meat and they grow really fast ... make u think ... we also have four stomachs ... and our mouths are full of molars ...

in a long litany of fatuous and retarded arguments put forth by vegans, 'look at how horses are doing without steak' has to be way up there.

meat is not only consumed for protein, by the way. i don't even have a science master-race degree and i know this as basic common knowledge. it is also a great source for vitamins and minerals like heme iron, which are not always available and have certainly not been available to human populations globally throughout history in its non-heme form.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-04 07:33:36)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
The man shot dead by police after stabbing a young tourist in Brisbane’s CBD this morning was on a counter terror watch list, police have revealed.

The 25-year-old was born in Afghanistan but had been living in Australia and was known to police, but detectives say at this stage they are not treating his actions as a terror attack.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, was shot by police after he stabbed an overseas tourist with a knife on Mary Street around 10am today.
Incidents like this is why gun control will never be fully accepted in some places. People need ways to defend themselves.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5541|Toronto
I notice he only managed to kill one person before the police euthanized him. I wonder what the story would be if he had an AR15?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
The victim would have lived if they had an AR-15.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The victim would have lived if they had an AR-15.
Or maybe not. Ever seen the video of that one knife guy stabbing rifle-armed cops?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Why don't you want people to be able to defend themselves?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

That's not it though. I'm just questioning whether having an AR-15 slung behind your back would save you from being stabbed as a matter of fact.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
It would have scared away attackers.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
I used to shake my head every time I commuted into Penn Station and I'd see a gaggle of NYPD in their tacticool anti-terror stuff, MP-9 hung from every shoulder sling, etc. and think to myself "you idiots could be taken out with a single hand grenade".
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3450
i agree. tanks should be deployed on the streets to keep the peace. that or there's no point at all.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

It would have scared away attackers.
Are you sure about that? You can go to liveleak or google and probably find any number of stabbed cops.
Larssen
+99|1885
I'm more bothered by the fact regular US police feel a need to dress up as though they're military. It makes no sense and only estranges them from the public they serve.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Larssen wrote:

I'm more bothered by the fact regular US police feel a need to dress up as though they're military. It makes no sense and only estranges them from the public they serve.
They wouldn't have to if we didn't have Muslim terrorist.
Larssen
+99|1885
Leave me you cretin

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard