Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
I'm glad we've established you're fine with killing things for your pleasure while I'm not.

Here's what I found through google.
Moore et al 23 reported a meta-analysis of six major longitudinal studies of the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis. They found an increased risk (odds ratio, OR=1.4; 95% confidence interval, CI: 1.20, 1.65) of psychotic disorder if someone ever used cannabis.

Regular cannabis use predicts an increased risk of schizophrenia, and the relationship persists after controlling for confounding variables.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2424288/

Continued use of cannabis over the lifetime of the study was the strongest predictor of violent convictions, even when the other factors that contribute to violent behavior were considered in the statistical analysis. 
In conclusion, the results show that continued cannabis use is associated with a 7-fold greater odds for subsequent commission of violent crimes.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog … t-behavior

Anecdotally tokers who haven't had a joint for a few days seem a whole lot angrier than people who have gone without a beer.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3444
so you dismiss a study on alcohol because the argument conflates 'gun murder' with 'mass gun murder'.

but then link a study that establishes a link between weed smoking and 'violent convictions' in support of your argument about 'mass sprees'.

O K

s c i e n c e

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 04:39:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This is what you asked for

uziq wrote:

pretty easy to prove the case that weed has pushed many thousands of people into psychosis and murder
Not mass sprees specifically, and your article made no link between alcohol and mass shootings.

Cannabis use clearly pushes people into psychosis and violence, its not the harmless hobby you like to portray it as.
uziq
+492|3444
violent convictions are not murder, again. how is it that you dismiss the statistic that alcohol is involved in up to 30% of homicides (a startingly high number), because those are not 'mass murders', but then again your stat about violent convictions (which could be a battery or even a common assault, involving no physical application of force) is justification for a statement like 'it's easily proven that weed pushes people into murder'?

like stringing together two disparate and unrelated studies, it's not the basis for a causal or logical link at all. the fact that marijuana increases the risk of psychosis does not then follow that psychotic people are going to commit murder, with weed as the cause. that's a huge logical leap, and a bad syllogism.

i'm sorry, bad faith, bad statistics, bad science. you can do better and you know it.

Last edited by uziq (2020-05-03 05:43:18)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Uzi, I see that. Nothing's 'ruined' in my world. I phrase it that way because that's the understanding of the pro-gun folks, who I do sympathize with to an extent. I'm not against biathlons or target shooting, but I think those hobbies can't be placed above public safety and you just don't absolutely need an AR15 to still enjoy them. So I see that we're taking away a 'nice to have' for some, but I also think it's justified. It's not 'nice to have' for me because I don't care for those hobbies.
But you're not having much of an effect on public safety by banning AR-15s, either.  About 300 people get killed by rifle fire in the US every year.  That's all rifles, not just the dreaded AR.

But let's take your "need" reasoning to other things.  Alcohol-related fatalities annually are 2-3 times the number of deaths caused by firearm.  I think we all can agree that no one "needs" fully automatic military-style assault liquor.  So we should ban it, right?  It kills thousands, despite millions using it responsibly, so you should absolutely be on at least as much of a crusade to ban it as you are to ban a rifle that kills a fraction of 300 people per year.  Tobacco's another good example.  What's the number these days - 400,000 dead every year?  If it's lives you're worried about, why aren't you making a fuss about banning smokes and booze?
My, and my countrymen's, opinion of how many deaths is too many is directly linked in the events in Nova Scotia last week. That is, our tolerance is at an all time low. And I'm fine with that.

I know you mean the alcohol thing to be an obtuse example (and, if I'm being honest, I'm getting tired of this debating ploy from the pro-gun members on the forum), but Canada does ban "fully automatic military-style assault liquor", which I think would be most closely approximated by Clear Springs or Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol? We don't just bang on the dusty constitution and say "LOOK, IT'S ALL RIGHT HERE, FREEEEDOOOMM". I am so so thankful that my country considers the collective good in its decision making process, which does, at times, come at the cost of individual freedom.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Oh man, everclear... I had a fun night involving everclear and a drill sergeant...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I really don't want to hear any more of this story.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

violent convictions are not murder, again. how is it that you dismiss the statistic that alcohol is involved in up to 30% of homicides (a startingly high number), because those are not 'mass murders', but then again your stat about violent convictions (which could be a battery or even a common assault, involving no physical application of force) is justification for a statement like 'it's easily proven that weed pushes people into murder'?

like stringing together two disparate and unrelated studies, it's not the basis for a causal or logical link at all. the fact that marijuana increases the risk of psychosis does not then follow that psychotic people are going to commit murder, with weed as the cause. that's a huge logical leap, and a bad syllogism.

i'm sorry, bad faith, bad statistics, bad science. you can do better and you know it.
Breathing is involved in 100% of murders. Whether its the victim's breathing or the perpetrator's is going to need more research.

The majority of people drink, no kidding that sometimes people who drink murder people.

Cannabis smokers are seven times more likely to be commit violent crime than non users.
That should be enough to ban it, not legalise it.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Oh man, everclear... I had a fun night involving everclear and a drill sergeant...
Dil is wrong. We all definitely care to hear it.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3444

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Breathing is involved in 100% of murders. Whether its the victim's breathing or the perpetrator's is going to need more research.

The majority of people drink, no kidding that sometimes people who drink murder people.

Cannabis smokers are seven times more likely to be commit violent crime than non users.
That should be enough to ban it, not legalise it.
again, bad reasoning and bad science. alcohol directly affects impulse control and human behaviour. you know, like in taking a gun during a heated argument and murdering someone.

it's not some accidental detail. you really need to get better at this stuff.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dil is wrong. We all definitely care to hear it.
We were in AIT (job training school) and we hadn't earned our leaving base privileges yet, and we were also underage. We had our one of-age friend go to the liquor store for us and buy booze. Me being the efficient person I am, requested everclear. More booze per ounce! We had a bunch of soda bottles that we filled with a few ounces of liquor each, and then we went to the bowling alley. Fast forward a few hours and it's time to go back before curfew. My buddy grabs my bottle bottle of Dr. Pepper mixed with about 4 oz of everclear, chugs it, and we head out. About halfway back on our two mile walk he starts stumbling. We start carry/dragging him. Get him upright just in time to walk in the front door of the barracks and somehow get past the on duty drill sergeant. Get him into bed and we go back to our rooms. About five minutes later there's a huge commotion. Lots of yelling and swearing. Get to his room and he had leaned over from his top bunk and puked on the guy below. Drill sergeant comes running in, stands up my friend and begins berating him. My friend then projectile vomits into drill sergeants mouth. He spent the next 45 days on extra duty and the drill sergeant refused to make eye contact with any of us ever again.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
I feel like he got off easy with just 45 days of extra duty. I don't know what an appropriate punishment in the military is, but if I was the DI I'd be PT'ing that kid until he fucking died.

My one experience with 190 proof grain alcohol was with Clear Springs I bought for $20 at the height of the recession in 2008 while coming back from NY. Very similar to your approach, we'd mix a few ounces with soda and use it as a cheap pre-drink to save money at the clubs. We had zero idea what we were doing or how powerful that stuff is, so we'd mix 4oz into about 500ml of soda. At first we thought we needed to drink more because we weren't feeling it. I stand up to take a piss before round two, and it hit me so suddenly and hard that I near passed out from the head rush, falling into the mirror in my dorm room and shattering it. Not as wild as puking into a DI's mouth, but the point is that shit is no joke.
uziq
+492|3444
sounds like a wild way to get brain damage.

over here about as wild as it gets is buckfast, which is a tonic caffeinated wine made by monks. the combination of wine-strength alcohol and bucketloads of caffeine sends people loopy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If you really want a liquor that sneaks up on you, try soju
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
that's a good recommendation. i've drunk a hella lot of soju. it's an amazing drink to have with korean food. like a sweet and less eye-wincing vodka or saki. its slightly sweet flavour really compliments the heat of most korean cuisine. they serve it in quite shallow little cups, more like saucers, really.

and yes, it gets you very drunk very fast.

in south korea i'm pretty sure you can get a medium-sized bottle, a little smaller than a standard wine bottle, for pennies. cheaper than beer.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

sounds like a wild way to get brain damage.

over here about as wild as it gets is buckfast, which is a tonic caffeinated wine made by monks. the combination of wine-strength alcohol and bucketloads of caffeine sends people loopy.
We're classier here. We mix our caffeine with malt liquor.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
buckfast is definitely homeless-tier alcohol, maybe appropriated by partiers on nights-out in a semi-ironic way, who can benefit from the caffeine boost if they're not on some other chemical 'encouragement' to dance all night. vile stuff.

is malt liquor like root beer? that stuff tastes like dentist's cupboards.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
Colt 45 is the nastiest shit ever. Degenerates used to do 'Edward 40 hands' with it:

https://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2118221/82802376.jpg

The problem with the whole thing is you can't drink that much liquid without needing to piss, so inevitably, if you buddies were nice, they'd get your dick out for you. If not, you're pissing yourself at some point in the night.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

buckfast is definitely homeless-tier alcohol, maybe appropriated by partiers on nights-out in a semi-ironic way, who can benefit from the caffeine boost if they're not on some other chemical 'encouragement' to dance all night. vile stuff.

is malt liquor like root beer? that stuff tastes like dentist's cupboards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olde_Engl … prov=sfla1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Loko?wprov=sfla1

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-03 07:36:32)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
wasn't four loko banned in like the early 2000s? i thought it was your version of 'vodka and red bull' like we have over here in mixers, and which have similarly been banned for sale in student bars and the like.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They just took the caffeine out of it. Foulest tasting crap anyway
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I like 4 Loko.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
4 Loko is fanastic. Half a can is enough to get pretty drunk. Mix that with pot and you will get pretty fucked up. I never had it with caffeine and feel robbed of the experience. I will say though that the college kids who drank two or three of those a night are pretty dumb.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
HollisHurlbut
+51|5989

Pochsy wrote:

My, and my countrymen's, opinion of how many deaths is too many is directly linked in the events in Nova Scotia last week. That is, our tolerance is at an all time low. And I'm fine with that.

I know you mean the alcohol thing to be an obtuse example (and, if I'm being honest, I'm getting tired of this debating ploy from the pro-gun members on the forum), but Canada does ban "fully automatic military-style assault liquor", which I think would be most closely approximated by Clear Springs or Everclear 190 proof grain alcohol? We don't just bang on the dusty constitution and say "LOOK, IT'S ALL RIGHT HERE, FREEEEDOOOMM". I am so so thankful that my country considers the collective good in its decision making process, which does, at times, come at the cost of individual freedom.
I didn't mean the alcohol to be an "obtuse" example.  It, and the tobacco example, are both specific and salient.  I would like an answer.  Why aren't you bleating full-throated support for an absolute ban on alcohol and tobacco?  In order to be consistent, you certainly should be in favor of such a measure.  So should your government.  Unless, of course, the real concern isn't actually saving lives but is instead... something else.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I didn't mean the alcohol to be an "obtuse" example.  It, and the tobacco example, are both specific and salient.  I would like an answer.  Why aren't you bleating full-throated support for an absolute ban on alcohol and tobacco?  In order to be consistent, you certainly should be in favor of such a measure.  So should your government.  Unless, of course, the real concern isn't actually saving lives but is instead... something else.
I'm interested in saving innocent lives. Alcohol generally doesn't kill the people not consenting to its consumption. Smoking is a little bit different because of the issue of second-hand smoke. I don't know about America, but in Canada our smoke free laws are extensive for this very reason. Innocent people not consenting to the action don't deserve to be killed by the dangerous decisions made by others.

That work?

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-03 18:38:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard