SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3872

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Nah, I was always behind banning them because they're dangerous. My point regarding the administrative hurdle is that the current registration list doesn't work as well as it needs to in order to mitigate the risk sufficiently. It's unfortunate, but we tried it. So knowing they're excessively dangerous, and knowing registration doesn't appear to work well as a solution, I can support the few ruining it for the many in this case.
So the govt has, possibly deliberately, failed to put in  place an efficient registration system - still not an argument for banning things.
But he personally has no use for one, and so it will cause him no personal distress to ban the thing he does not like.
I have no need for owning a gun. Needing to concealed carry is coward shit. Reminds me of my white friends thinking they were seconds away from getting jumped and robbed when picking up weed in the hood once.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2020-05-02 17:28:41)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5511|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

So the govt has, possibly deliberately, failed to put in  place an efficient registration system - still not an argument for banning things.
But he personally has no use for one, and so it will cause him no personal distress to ban the thing he does not like.
I have no need for owning a gun. Needing to concealed carry is coward shit. Reminds me of my white friends thinking they were seconds away from getting jumped and robbed when picking up weed in the hood once.
Then why do you dream of being a cop?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3872

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

Then why do you dream of being a cop?
Cops make more money, have less adminstrative oversight, and women love the badge.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX

Pochsy wrote:

Uzi, I see that. Nothing's 'ruined' in my world. I phrase it that way because that's the understanding of the pro-gun folks, who I do sympathize with to an extent. I'm not against biathlons or target shooting, but I think those hobbies can't be placed above public safety and you just don't absolutely need an AR15 to still enjoy them. So I see that we're taking away a 'nice to have' for some, but I also think it's justified. It's not 'nice to have' for me because I don't care for those hobbies.
Pick something you don't need but do like, then see how you'd like to have it banned 'for the greater good'.

I don't know, weed, first-person shooter video games for example.

I don't take drugs so I'd be fine with them all being banned, think of the children.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-02 17:33:04)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Uzi, I see that. Nothing's 'ruined' in my world. I phrase it that way because that's the understanding of the pro-gun folks, who I do sympathize with to an extent. I'm not against biathlons or target shooting, but I think those hobbies can't be placed above public safety and you just don't absolutely need an AR15 to still enjoy them. So I see that we're taking away a 'nice to have' for some, but I also think it's justified. It's not 'nice to have' for me because I don't care for those hobbies.
Pick something you don't need but do like, then see how you'd like to have it banned 'for the greater good'.

I won't be providing a list of the illegal things I like to engage in if that's what you're after.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3605
the analogies don't work because none of those objects have the primary purpose of killing stuff. and they haven't, indeed, been used to commit mass shootings and atrocities.

lots of things are banned from the pubic by the state, for the greater good. including lots of things you don't miss but someone else might. like tanks, for example. or rocket launchers. or high-explosives. or hard drugs. you don't argue with circuitous logic about their right to be enjoyed responsibly, do you?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I won't be providing a list of the illegal things I like to engage in if that's what you're after.
He's not asking for the illegal things, he's asking for the list of questionable but legal things you do enjoy.

Politics is a two edged sword. Once you go down the path of banning things belonging to one group, don't be surprised when they retaliate and take away your toys.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The analogies work fine, no-one needs to ride a motorbike or take drugs, they both kill people.

The primary purpose of killing stuff is something people need to do and need to train to do, whether its for hunting, self-defence or in the army, so guns are more useful than drugs, motorbikes or the various legal or illegal leisure activities you don't want to admit to.

First person shooter games serve literally no purpose whatsoever, some people don't like them, lets ban them.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-02 17:38:55)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Jay wrote:

He's not asking for the illegal things, he's asking for the list of questionable but legal things you do enjoy.

Politics is a two edged sword. Once you go down the path of banning things belonging to one group, don't be surprised when they retaliate and take away your toys.
Oh, I see. That seems a good argument. I guess I enjoy juggling, so maybe if I reached the zenith of my hobby we might have to ban chainsaws?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pochsy wrote:

Oh, I see. That seems a good argument. I guess I enjoy juggling, so maybe if I reached the zenith of my hobby we might have to ban chainsaws?
No, lets nip this thing in the bud now and ban juggling, and chainsaws.

Chainsaw registration is too difficult, its too complicated and the govt can't get things like that right, if police see a chainsaw they should be able to just seize it without having to go through the labour of spending 30 seconds checking a database which wouldn't work anyway.

I mean sure chainsaws are fun but really people can cut down a tree with a handsaw, they don't need a chainsaw.

See how easy it is, no-one needs a power saw.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-02 17:43:43)

uziq
+492|3605
if hundreds or thousands of people a year start ending up dead in juggling atrocities, i'd be up for the discussion.

same with all your above examples, too. aren't you being a little bit obtuse here? things are banned because they are used in ways that are against the public interest.

playing FPS games or juggling do not disrupt society or pose a danger to life.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

is something people need to do and need to train to do, whether its for hunting, self-defence or in the army, so guns are more useful [...]
Now we're getting somewhere. Hunting isn't banned. You can still get out the bolt action and practice bagging deer all you want. The army trains their own people, and not matter how much home-schooling you do on the art of war, they'll still need to train you. Guns for self defense is a bit of a case where we need guns because we have guns, and one that I really don't fully understand.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3872
Violent video games and media normalize violence. Proof? I am normalized to violence.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

is something people need to do and need to train to do, whether its for hunting, self-defence or in the army, so guns are more useful [...]
Now we're getting somewhere. Hunting isn't banned. You can still get out the bolt action and practice bagging deer all you want. The army trains their own people, and not matter how much home-schooling you do on the art of war, they'll still need to train you. Guns for self defense is a bit of a case where we need guns because we have guns, and one that I really don't fully understand.
Did you ban all semi-automatic rifles or just the AR-15?
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3872
They banned like 1500 rifle variations.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

We banned a whole list of shit, including TOW missiles, anti-tank guns, and guns produced in such low numbers that the only 3 remaining on the planet are in museums.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

No, lets nip this thing in the bud now and ban juggling, and chainsaws.

Chainsaw registration is too difficult, its too complicated and the govt can't get things like that right, if police see a chainsaw they should be able to just seize it without having to go through the labour of spending 30 seconds checking a database which wouldn't work anyway.

I mean sure chainsaws are fun but really people can cut down a tree with a handsaw, they don't need a chainsaw.

See how easy it is, no-one needs a power saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6boMcIsFnuM
I know you mean this to be obtuse, but I'd actually support banning them if people were getting massacred in chainsaw rampages.

EDIT - Just saw Uzi's post above. Similar thought here.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-02 17:49:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The point is owning guns to kill things is a perfectly valid reason to own guns.
The argument "guns are designed to kill things, so people shouldn't own them" is a stupid one.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

We banned a whole list of shit, including TOW missiles, anti-tank guns, and guns produced in such low numbers that the only 3 remaining on the planet are in museums.
Seems effective
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5696|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The point is owning guns to kill things is a perfectly valid reason to own guns.
The argument "guns are designed to kill things, so people shouldn't own them" is a stupid one.
Oh, I agree completely. They have uses. And thankfully we can retain that utility by not banning all guns outright, which was never my opinion?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6838|United States of America

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

This. Dropping the ball on reasonable gun control directly led to the militarization of police because of the arms race and high profile North Hollywood shootout situations. Very few people are worried about 30 people shot in as many seconds by some dude with a bolt-action rifle or a revolver.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

This. Dropping the ball on reasonable gun control directly led to the militarization of police because of the arms race and high profile North Hollywood shootout situations. Very few people are worried about 30 people shot in as many seconds by some dude with a bolt-action rifle or a revolver.
It really is amazing how good the media is at whipping up frenzies of fear about extremely rare events.
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6838|United States of America

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

It really is amazing how good the media is at whipping up frenzies of fear about extremely rare events.
I'm not worried at all about being witness to a mass shooting. It's very unlikely. However, the incidence of them in general is greatly increased by readily providing the means with which to do them. Less bullets less frequently flying at people in general is a useful goal for our society.
uziq
+492|3605
mass shootings in america are ridiculously common. they have affected, interrupted, and influenced so many aspects of your everyday life. how many schools have armed guards now? reduced playground time? stringent security measures and gates? your public spaces are effectively on near-perpetual high-alert. imagine going about your day-to-day life in such a siege mentality, or with such anxieties. mass shootings are more common in america than anywhere else in the world.

i know that most of them aren't committed with military-style rifles. but those guns do make mass shootings much easier, and much worse when they're used. the reasoning seems pretty sound to me.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pochsy wrote:

I know you mean this to be obtuse, but I'd actually support banning them if people were getting massacred in chainsaw rampages
If there were a chainsaw rampage would you be OK with banning all chainsaws? I'm sure plenty of people have been murdered or dismembered with chainsaws.

I'm sure it would be pretty easy to prove the case that weed has pushed many thousands of people into psychosis and murder - so lets ban everyone from using it.

I agree that military weapons should only be accessible through a militia system, letting mentally ill teenagers and obsessed adults possess them isn't sensible.
But the arguments made for banning them in totality are weak and unreasonable. The same people making them wouldn't like them if they were turned on their hobbies - suddenly they would be irrational unfair over-reactions.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard