Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
So the debating strategy moved to ad hominem attacks and is now arrived at a red herring? I'm having trouble keeping up. Please walk through this a little slower for me.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

So the debating strategy moved to ad hominem attacks and is now arrived at a red herring? I'm having trouble keeping up. Please walk through this a little slower for me.
Who do you expect to carry out your confiscations? Surely you're not naive as to think that voluntary turn-ins will account for even a fraction of the guns, do you?

Dilbert, how many millions of illegal guns are currently buried in Australian backyards?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Who do you expect to carry out your confiscations? Surely you're not naive as to think that voluntary turn-ins will account for even a fraction of the guns, do you?

Dilbert, how many millions of illegal guns are currently buried in Australian backyards?
I expect the police to uphold the law and seize them when a reasonable opportunity arises. As an example, perhaps there is a domestic dispute and the police are called to go investigate. Perhaps the police notice a gun safe, or the concerned partner notes that the aggravated partner has a gun. Maybe the police take an interest in that and ask about the gun. Maybe they find out it's an AR15.

I really don't know why this is some grand thing about SWAT teams and helicopters in your mind. It's a law. Enforced like any other law. I think you're really confusing American behaviour with that of Canadians--who are generally not looking to make their last stand in their living room because the police found their AR15.

EDIT - I should also add that this isn't a lightswitch. Like all community safety laws, it will take years, decades even, for it to really bear fruit. And I'm ok with that because the world is complex and change takes time.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-01 18:10:15)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Gun control in Canada will go as well as gun control in Mexico does. Sure people aren't going to get killed like in Mexico but buying illegal guns from Americans will be a business. Latin America has strict gun control and very high murder rates. Where do the guns all come from? The United States. We regionally export illegal guns.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3453
canada doesn't have the levels of corruption and political instability that mexico has. nor, uh, a massive narco trade.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
You're totally right, Mac. This isn't going to stop illegal guns completely. But if it results in even a few less fatalities, I'm cool with it. I don't think, as Americans, you both realize how big an impact the shooting in Nova Scotia had on Canadians. We're not the kind of people that shrug it off and move on. Even if the action is somewhat muted in its efficacy, I, and we, are willing to give it a go.
uziq
+492|3453
wasn't new zealand the same situ?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
The Christchurch shooter moved to New Zealand because Aussie gun laws prevented him from assembling an AR-15 from individual parts.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

So every time the police hear a bang from the woods they're going to say "I wonder if that was an unregistered AR15, lets get the helicopters in and have a look"
Or maybe every time they enter a home and come across an AR15 they say "hmm that's not quite right..."
I'm sure that happens a lot.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I expect the police to uphold the law and seize them when a reasonable opportunity arises. As an example, perhaps there is a domestic dispute and the police are called to go investigate. Perhaps the police notice a gun safe, or the concerned partner notes that the aggravated partner has a gun. Maybe the police take an interest in that and ask about the gun. Maybe they find out it's an AR15.

I really don't know why this is some grand thing about SWAT teams and helicopters in your mind. It's a law. Enforced like any other law. I think you're really confusing American behaviour with that of Canadians--who are generally not looking to make their last stand in their living room because the police found their AR15.

EDIT - I should also add that this isn't a lightswitch. Like all community safety laws, it will take years, decades even, for it to really bear fruit. And I'm ok with that because the world is complex and change takes time.
I'm sure anyone with an unregistered AR15 is going to hang it over the fireplace where the police can spot it when they walk in, or in the safe with their registered guns.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Christchurch shooter moved to New Zealand because Aussie gun laws prevented him from assembling an AR-15 from individual parts.
He just bought an AR from a gun store, up to that point people could buy full auto for shooting possums.

Meanwhile New Zealanders objected to the derisory compensation - less than the wholesale price - and haven't handed their guns in.
Well done cheaping out on that.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-01 18:29:46)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

So every time the police hear a bang from the woods they're going to say "I wonder if that was an unregistered AR15, lets get the helicopters in and have a look"
Or maybe every time they enter a home and come across an AR15 they say "hmm that's not quite right..."
I'm sure that happens a lot.
You mean the police don't seize illegal firearms they happen to come across?

Here's another example - a traffic stop where Toronto police found 60 illegal handguns

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/0 … orida.html

Doesn't happen though. Nope.

EDIT - Count this one as a response to your straw man about guns over fireplaces, too

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-01 18:33:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Of course it happens, making illegal guns illegal doesn't really change anything.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
Except it makes more guns eligible to be seized when they're come across?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

And people will be less likely to call the police and/or allow them to search their home if they know they have an illegal weapon on the premises, yes? You don't think people will defend their guns? Some nut will, guaranteed. Then a cop will die, or the owner will die.

It's going to be a scofflaw that cops will be unwilling to enforce because it will put their own safety at risk. Congrats.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

I'm glad it makes you feel better. I belt you felt good when you banned plastic bags too.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
I doubt many people in the process of breaking the law are calling the cops on themselves, Jay. Usually it's the neighbours, or the wife getting beaten?

In Canada I've literally never heard of someone making their last stand because the cops found an illegal gun. I don't think Canadians are as much like Americans as you think in that respect.

Cops in Canada tend to do their jobs, even with the inherent dangers. I don't think I've ever heard of a case where they are unwilling to uphold the law, so long as it is lawful to do so.
uziq
+492|3453
goddamn libcucks crying over fake climate science!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I'm glad it makes you feel better. I belt you felt good when you banned plastic bags too.
Hey Jay, this is going to blow your mind, I think: I vote conservative. Imagine that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Hey Jay, this is going to blow your mind, I think: I vote conservative. Imagine that.
Self own of the week
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Self own of the week
I don't follow?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Canadian conservative is like what? Clinton democrats vs Bernie democrats?
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5544|Toronto
Ok, this is now about how right leaning America is versus Canada? Our countries are different. I've said this in half a dozen posts now. The political context is different. The cultural values are different. Canadians can handle a small personal sacrifice for the collective good.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Ok, this is now about how right leaning America is versus Canada? Our countries are different. I've said this in half a dozen posts now. The political context is different. The cultural values are different. Canadians can handle a small personal sacrifice for the collective good.
I'll give you this, your government seems to be much more efficiently run than mine is. You had debt issues and tackled them head on. But your average Canadian isn't all that different from Americans. You have plenty of rednecks too. The only discernible difference, in my experience, is that Canadians are much more outwardly polite and less willing to cause offense. Our rednecks have stopped caring about being polite.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Pochsy wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Self own of the week
I don't follow?
Why would you vote conservative?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard