Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Police can take unregistered guns when they find them already can't they?
Does this new law make unregistered guns more unregistered?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
Regs haven't been written yet, where "Military Grade" and "Assault Rifle" would be defined. What is hilarious is that the list of 1,500 guns includes guns like anti-tank rifles and even a fucking wire-guided TOW missile. I think they were padding the numbers a little when the interns handed over their research...
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3452
amnesties are usually a thing when something that was legal becomes illegal. the bad guys aren't always the most compliant.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

Police can take unregistered guns when they find them already can't they?
Does this new law make unregistered guns more unregistered?
It makes it easier to not have to run checks on every gun they come across doesn't it? which was my original point?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why would that even be an issue?

Apparently ARs already owned are going to be grandfathered so the police are still going to have to run checks on every gun they come across.
So your theory is moot.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sure the people with unregistered guns will be the first to hand them in.
Who said they'd hand them in? The police will take them as they find them? Like all crime? They don't pass a law and the criminals all say 'oh fuck, I guess I'd better turn myself in if I run afoul of that one???
What police officer is going to execute your search warrants?

You strike me as someone that has never held a gun and has no interest in them. That's fine. But what gives you the right to dictate to others how they should live their life, Karen?

Other people have the right to defend themselves. Not everyone lives in a city with a cop 30 seconds away. AR-15s happen to be popular because they are even simpler than a handgun to use. They're not very powerful compared to other rifles, but they are accurate and easy to operate.

Among the left they have been demonized, but they account for minimal crime overall. Congrats on your victory though. You sure showed everyone how tough you are with your unenforceable criminalization.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto
That's news to me. I haven't heard anything about apparently grandfathering anything. As I understand it, there will be a period during which they can be turned in and paid for by the government. Do you have a source for that?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Globe and Mail reported that leaked documents show the buy-back programme would be voluntary, and licensed owners would have their guns grandfathered. Mr Trudeau had previously promised the programme would be mandatory.

On Friday, Mr Trudeau would not confirm whether buy-backs would be voluntary, but reiterated the buy-back programme would have to be supported by other parties, and be fair to everyone.

"The next steps need to be ironed out," he said.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52505765
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic … eapons-in/

I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-05-01 17:22:44)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Trudeau is gonna get absolutely poleaxed next election. I'd rather have moron Trump.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm sure the people with unregistered guns will be the first to hand them in.
Who said they'd hand them in? The police will take them as they find them? Like all crime? They don't pass a law and the criminals all say 'oh fuck, I guess I'd better turn myself in if I run afoul of that one???

You strike me as someone that has never held a gun and has no interest in them. That's fine. But what gives you the right to dictate to others how they should live their life, Karen?

Other people have the right to defend themselves. Not everyone lives in a city with a cop 30 seconds away. AR-15s happen to be popular because they are even simpler than a handgun to use. They're not very powerful compared to other rifles, but they are accurate and easy to operate.

Among the left they have been demonized, but they account for minimal crime overall. Congrats on your victory though. You sure showed everyone how tough you are with your unenforceable criminalization.
I'm not doing this Jay. I don't have the patience. Suffice to say I'm interested because I live in a country where we read the writing on the wall after a mass shooting.

http://angusreid.org/assault-weapons-ban/

75% of my country appears to agree.

EDIT - my bad, make that 80%

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-05-01 17:27:30)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Pro-gun people need to find a better solution to AR-15 mass murder than thoughts and prayers. People aren't going to accept that they have to live in a state where that is a fact of life.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

I'm not doing this Jay. I don't have the patience. Suffice to say I'm interested because I live in a country where we read the writing on the wall after a mass shooting.

Good. You overreacted to a single event. Seems like a pattern, doesn't it?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pro-gun people need to find a better solution to AR-15 mass murder than thoughts and prayers. People aren't going to accept that they have to live in a state where that is a fact of life.
I agree, the US NRA is blind to public opinion turning against them.
They'll be blindsided when the second amendment is amended.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

How would you rate your country's reaction to the last dozen mass shootings over the last 20 years? Measured reaction?
uziq
+492|3452
be prepared to have jay's latest reading of the right-wing blogosphere recycled here as sage wisdom.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

How would you rate your country's reaction to the last dozen mass shootings over the last 20 years? Measured reaction?
A wearied shrug. You want to execute a search warrant for 300 million guns? Good luck. Canada has just as many, if not more, guns per capita, and your crimes occur much less often. You want to criminalize most of your neighbors because of a single incident.

What I've noticed about Canadian liberals is that they very much want to fit in internationally even when it defies logic. Most Ontarians use electricity to heat their homes and their homes leak like sieves? We want Canadians to buy into the climate change bit and do their part! Let's jack up electricity rates from our zero-carbon hydro plant and force them to invest in weatherization! Wait, why is everyone buying propane and fuel oil boilers now? Why are our carbon emissions skyrocketing!?

Last edited by Jay (2020-05-01 17:36:32)

-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

You want to execute a search warrant for 300 million guns? Good luck.
Nope, I recall having said I'd expect the police to deal with them as they come across them. But ok.

Jay wrote:

canada has just as many, if not more, guns per capita, and your crimes occur much less often.
Go verify this yourself. Hint: you're wrong.

Jay wrote:

You want to criminalize most of your neighbors because of a single incident.
Most of my neighbours don't own guns. This is Canada. For greater clarity: this is not America.

Jay wrote:

What I've noticed about Canadian liberals is that they very much want to fit in internationally even when it defies logic. Most Ontarians use electricity to heat their homes and their homes leak like sieves? We want Canadians to buy into the climate change bit and do their part! Let's jack up electricity rates from our zero-carbon hydro plant and force them to invest in weatherization! Wait, why is everyone buying propane and fuel oil boilers now? Why are our carbon emissions skyrocketing!?
Ok, weird rant. Cool that you have opinions though. Keep it up!
uziq
+492|3452
you have to remember, the elites/liberals/park avenue jews are leading society astray in jay's eyes. coronavirus was caused by 'global elites' jetsetting around. canadian liberals 'want to fit in internationally'. it's all a bit vague. the international Liberal Club. it's like a yacht club but they're much better on recycling and correct pronouns.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I agree, the US NRA is blind to public opinion turning against them.
They'll be blindsided when the second amendment is amended.
American political science would tell you that the 2nd Amendment will never get repealed. I would never say never though. We did pass an amendment banning liquor once which was a lot more popular than guns are today. I am 30 so might have 50 more years. Think of all of the changes to American culture since 1970.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

You want to execute a search warrant for 300 million guns? Good luck.
Nope, I recall having said I'd expect the police to deal with them as they come across them. But ok.

Jay wrote:

canada has just as many, if not more, guns per capita, and your crimes occur much less often.
Go verify this yourself. Hint: you're wrong.

Jay wrote:

You want to criminalize most of your neighbors because of a single incident.
Most of my neighbours don't own guns. This is Canada. For greater clarity: this is not America.

Jay wrote:

Ok, weird rant. Cool that you have opinions though. Keep it up!
Just an example of how little thought you and people like you put into policy you desire. You never think things through. After the immediate emotional struggle is 'won' you wave it off for someone else to figure out how to execute it.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3452
we conservatives have LoGiC and rEaSoN. you're too emotionallllll
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Just an example of how little thought you and people like you put into policy you desire. You never think things through. After the immediate emotional struggle is 'won' you wave it off for someone else to figure out how to execute it.
What are the qualities of me, and people like me? I'm not sure I understand. I also don't recall devolving into ad hominem attacks at any point, so I'm a little surprised by this.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So every time the police hear a bang from the woods they're going to say "I wonder if that was an unregistered AR15, lets get the helicopters in and have a look"
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Dilbert_X wrote:

So every time the police hear a bang from the woods they're going to say "I wonder if that was an unregistered AR15, lets get the helicopters in and have a look"
Or maybe every time they enter a home and come across an AR15 they say "hmm that's not quite right..."
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Or more likely the SWAT team. Let's go get either the jumpy cops or the searchee killed!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard