Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Bird Killer wrote:

personally, my value system, i wouldn't take a young kid hunting or give him a gun to shoot. but i respect other people may want to introduce their children to hunting (i have a little more trouble with the idea of someone wanting to get their kid into shooting/target shooting, but whatever). sure lots of rural people do it. i spent many an afternoon out in the woods trying to shoot small birds with a friend at age 14. and it wasn't just proper guns, either - air rifles and BB guns were also fascinating as a kid. but this is the thing: in the UK, getting a lethal weapon is extremely difficult, even in rural-farming areas. youthful fascination with guns isn't allowed to stray beyond toys/playing around. in america, the boundary between toy-guns and real guns is pre-tty scarily blurred.
Whats wrong with target shooting? In most evolved democracies skill-at-arms has been a laudable ambition for centuries, the British NRA is one of the few sporting organisations to have a Royal charter, all target shooting clubs by default have charitable status, and I could drone on about the German and Swiss cultures too for a while, not forgetting Scandinavia..
i don't have a problem with target shooting. i just don't really know why you'd take a kid target shooting. in hunting, the gun isn't really the focus, it's just a tool. you can teach a kid some valuable lessons about life, some sort of parent ritual, in shooting. it's a tradition and it instils a certain sort of ethics, if you are so inclined. the gun is kind of ancillary. target shooting is all about guns and shooting. it puts a focus on the gun as an object, and makes a literal sport out of just shooting the thing. personally, just for me, it's not really the sort of hobby/interest i'd want to get my kid into. as a teen/adult who is a little more responsible about approaching guns, sure. a kid? i'll take piano lessons, ta.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX
Nope, in target shooting the focus is not on the gun, its also just a tool.

Except at the redneck end, where firing a cannon with carbon fibre accessories is whats important and where the bullet goes less so if at all.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-06 05:28:59)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

But if you want to shoot at things that aren't alive, I don't see what's so wrong about target shooting.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407

Dilbert_X wrote:

Except at the redneck end, where firing a cannon with carbon fibre accessories is whats important and where the bullet goes less so if at all.
the point is, in target shooting, the focus is on the activity of SHOOTING. in hunting, it's about HUNTING. you know, these activities... verbs-as-nouns and so on, cute little gerunds, are kind of self-explanatory. i wouldn't want to encourage my child to be into shooting as a hobby. hunting, well not my thing either, but i can see how someone from the rural shires would want to educate their child in natural things like that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

But hunting with firearms incorporates shooting. The difference between a, for example, father-son outing to a rifle range or to the woods with the intention of killing something is that at the end of the day, something is a lot more likely to die. I don't see how you consider target shooting to be the greater evil. It's just another aspect of gun culture.

e: I have a more respect for someone who's satisfied with honing his marksmanship against paper targets than an asshole who slaughters animals for sheer "fun" of it.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6376|Escea

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

You couldn't get me to fire those printed guns anywhere near my face.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
old news. it's  not the whole gun, either.

and newbie they've actually got quite good with the designs now. they still do break a lot though under continued stress/large firing loads. doesn't blow up in your face though. just jams.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6869

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

old news. it's  not the whole gun, either.

and newbie they've actually got quite good with the designs now. they still do break a lot though under continued stress/large firing loads. doesn't blow up in your face though. just jams.
no that one is the whole gun is made of plastic, not just the lower receiver.

yeah they fuck up after like 50-100 shots or something. but you can just print a million of those things.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
cody wilson is a pretty smart guy and doesn't afraid of anything
13/f/taiwan
+940|5852
i dislike cody wilson.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
he's done his reading. i don't agree with his politics but he has a very well-reasoned position. can't really fault that.
13rin
+977|6632
I've wanted a 3d printer for a while now, but dunno if they're worth it.  In researching them and seeing all the various print plans, I did come to the conclusion that I have zero fucking imagination.

It would be far cheaper and easier to construct a zip gun (which is also a no-no).  But hey, every 20 years or so it's time to reinvent the wheel soooo.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6843|Tampa Bay Florida
NPR said 3d printers are the reason a lot of jobs are coming back to the US from places like China.  Companies no longer have to buy machine parts shipped half-way across the world, they can literally just make them whereever they are.  Imagine 50 years in the future, we'll be able to print cars and shit right in our own garages.  Fuckin crazy world we live in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5511|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

NPR said 3d printers are the reason a lot of jobs are coming back to the US from places like China.  Companies no longer have to buy machine parts shipped half-way across the world, they can literally just make them whereever they are.  Imagine 50 years in the future, we'll be able to print cars and shit right in our own garages.  Fuckin crazy world we live in.
NPR is a bunch of clueless monkeys. Machine parts are fabricated by C&C machines, not 3D printers. Why would you use an expensive 3D printer when you can injection mold plastics for pennies a part?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Besides, C&C technology has been around for a long time. The reason manufacturing jobs are drifting back is because Chinese wages are rising rapidly, fuel prices have soared, and most of the worlds shipping fleets converted over to diesel plants which burn much more expensive fuel (albeit more efficiently) than old, sulfurus Bunker C steam plants which makes shipping rates more expensive.

I really wish people would stop getting their 'news' from former journalism majors that know nothing about anything.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6843|Tampa Bay Florida
I dunno man, they were on the radio and I was just listening in.  Sheesh.  They were interviewing some company in Seattle who apparently stopped outsourcing because of the advances in 3d printing technology.  It was a story about 3d printing, not about the economy.  Maybe I misrepresented it. 

Anyway. I cant find the article on the internet cause I listened to it like 3 weeks ago.  But its literally the only news on the radio, besides right wing conservative preachers and Bubba the love sponge.  So get off your high horse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

the point is, in target shooting, the focus is on the activity of SHOOTING. in hunting, it's about HUNTING. you know, these activities... verbs-as-nouns and so on, cute little gerunds, are kind of self-explanatory. i wouldn't want to encourage my child to be into shooting as a hobby. hunting, well not my thing either, but i can see how someone from the rural shires would want to educate their child in natural things like that.
The focus in target shooting is achieving a score on the target by hitting it, the focus in hunting shooting is achieving a kill by hitting the target - the animal.

Honestly, many people get the wrong impression of target shooting and what its about.

For many its about buying a gun which looks cool, going to the range or the woods to let it off, enjoying the bang and the kick and not worrying about too much else.
We snobby target shooters call that plinking, its uncompetitive and unchallenging, but people see it and assume thats all it adds up to.

Competitive shooting is as dumb and challenging as trying to get a ball into a hole in the ground, but at the top level it is highly skilled, requires effort, perseverance and psychological toughness and isn't for everyone.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6775|Little Bentcock
I think uzi is referring to getting in touch with nature with daddy, learning about life and death and survival craft and whatnot.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

NPR is a bunch of clueless monkeys. Machine parts are fabricated by C&C machines, not 3D printers. Why would you use an expensive 3D printer when you can injection mold plastics for pennies a part?

Besides, C&C technology has been around for a long time. The reason manufacturing jobs are drifting back is because Chinese wages are rising rapidly, fuel prices have soared, and most of the worlds shipping fleets converted over to diesel plants which burn much more expensive fuel (albeit more efficiently) than old, sulfurus Bunker C steam plants which makes shipping rates more expensive.

I really wish people would stop getting their 'news' from former journalism majors that know nothing about anything.
I guess you mean CNC.

Why would you use 3D printing instead of CNC or injection moulding? Because you can have parts instantly, at zero tooling cost, and make otherwise impossible shapes.
I can draw up a part in Solidworks in the morning and have a fully heat-treated and tempered stainless steel, aluminium or titanium function-ready part on my desk in the afternoon. If I want 100 I can have them in a week, price competitive with CNC and a lot quicker and less trouble.
Plastic parts are even easier.

For volume then other processes are preferable, mostly, but you're limited by the technology.

Shipping costs nothing. If I want a pallet delivered from Perth to Sydney its cheaper to send it via China than direct by train. Unloading and delivering 50 miles by land usually costs more than delivery from China to the US or Australia.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-07 03:11:57)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yes, but you're using it for one off applications and modeling. You're not going to mass produce machine parts on a 3D printer. The technology is not bringing back a single manufacturing job on its own. It's just giving machinists more tools to play around with.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People are mass-producing parts using RP methods, its ideal for titanium and medical parts for example, but no it won't be moving many manufacturing jobs anywhere - except for rapid turnaround low-volume parts.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407

FreeDumb

americans may like to remind themselves of the video i posted of how someone claiming to be 'pissed off' is dealt with in europe.

communists.

FYI in the UK

According to an October 2005 article in The Independent, in the preceding 12 years, 30 people had been shot dead by police.
and the last time a person got shot by the police, the public rioted and burned london for 4 days.

Free
Dumb

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-07 11:14:01)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

Yet another episode that will probably never see the light of day on a police propaganda TV program. And how does the chief defend this? "Oh, well, uh, as far as I know, uh, he had a history."

What happened to all the less lethal stuff in their arsenal? Did they leave it at the office? Bloodthirsty clowns signing onto the force so they can "impose their will on others" afaik. What a fucking execution.

Didn't even offer him a cigarette and a blindfold. Philistines.

e: The could have just thrown a fishing net over the guy and winched him into the back of a police van if they didn't want to get close. lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard