Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5372|London, England
A young student in Maryland was suspended from grade school because he chewed his pop-tart into the shape of a handgun and 'threatened' other students with it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6699|United States of America
Wellp, the assault weapons ban is no more. Now we can safely determine the shootings in Connecticut are out of our collective memory and the public can be good and shocked when the next one happens, so we can demand something be done about it to no avail.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6728|US

DesertFox- wrote:

Wellp, the assault weapons ban is no more. Now we can safely determine the shootings in Connecticut are out of our collective memory and the public can be good and shocked when the next one happens, so we can demand something be done about it to no avail.
You seem to assume that making another layer of "assault weapons ban" would have made a difference.  CT already had one.  Bans on guns with cosmetic features are pretty pointless, so sometimes demanding "something" is just as stupid as ignoring problems.
DesertFox-
Do background checks even exist at all? I was under the impression there were checks and waiting periods and whatnot, but I found out my dad was able to buy his gun today by walking in with cash and walking out with a brand new pistol. o.O Inb4 state to state variation; it was rhetorical
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6511

https://i.imgur.com/M2wBHKb.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6120|eXtreme to the maX
^ The French gave yout that.

I would hardly call detachable high-capacity magazines 'cosmetic features'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6728|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

^ The French gave yout that.

I would hardly call detachable high-capacity magazines 'cosmetic features'.
True, that would be a functional feature.  However, the AWB legislation usually goes something like "Semi-auto, capable of accepting detachable magazines, AND has 2 or more of the following: (insert list of things like bayonet lugs, barrel shrouds, adjustable stocks, flash suppressor, ye olde school grenade attachment, foregrip, etc)"
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6728|US

DesertFox- wrote:

Do background checks even exist at all? I was under the impression there were checks and waiting periods and whatnot, but I found out my dad was able to buy his gun today by walking in with cash and walking out with a brand new pistol. o.O Inb4 state to state variation; it was rhetorical
Transfers going through an FFL (dealers) must go through the National Instant Check System, which is a database of "prohibited persons."  If your name gets flagged, they can't make the transfer.  Some states require pretty much all sales to go through FFLs, while others allow non-dealers to do their own transfers.  Non-dealers don't have access to the NICS.

For example, if a guy wanted to sell a pistol to his neighbor in Wyoming, he could.  If I wanted to sell a pistol to a guy in Wyoming, I would have to send it through a Wyoming FFL, since I can't sell handguns to residents of other states (federal law).  If  a resident of Colorado wants to sell a firearm, they will have to go through an FFL to get a check done, per CO's new laws.

A lot of people, including myself, don't like "universal background checks" because it forces people to pay an FFL for the transfer.  My grandfather knew I wasn't a violent felon when he gave me his old gun, and fortunately the law didn't require me to go pay $40 dollars in fees from an FFL to do the paperwork for a gun worth less than $100.

My other grandfather wanted to get rid of an old gun he had, but he was a resident of a different state, and I wasn't about to pay an FFL's transfer fee for an old revolver that might not even lock-up correctly!

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2013-03-22 07:56:15)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6237|Escea

Wouldn't it be easier to just ban or at the very least severely restrict the sale of rifle ammunition?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6730

M.O.A.B wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just ban or at the very least severely restrict the sale of rifle ammunition?
good luck with that.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RAIMIUS wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Transfers going through an FFL (dealers) must go through the National Instant Check System, which is a database of "prohibited persons."  If your name gets flagged, they can't make the transfer.  Some states require pretty much all sales to go through FFLs, while others allow non-dealers to do their own transfers.  Non-dealers don't have access to the NICS.

For example, if a guy wanted to sell a pistol to his neighbor in Wyoming, he could.  If I wanted to sell a pistol to a guy in Wyoming, I would have to send it through a Wyoming FFL, since I can't sell handguns to residents of other states (federal law).  If  a resident of Colorado wants to sell a firearm, they will have to go through an FFL to get a check done, per CO's new laws.

A lot of people, including myself, don't like "universal background checks" because it forces people to pay an FFL for the transfer.  My grandfather knew I wasn't a violent felon when he gave me his old gun, and fortunately the law didn't require me to go pay $40 dollars in fees from an FFL to do the paperwork for a gun worth less than $100.

My other grandfather wanted to get rid of an old gun he had, but he was a resident of a different state, and I wasn't about to pay an FFL's transfer fee for an old revolver that might not even lock-up correctly!
But people griping about paying an FFL fee means straw purchasers are free to sell guns and ammo to violent felons.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6794|Great Brown North

M.O.A.B wrote:

no
DesertFox-
I'm awestruck that from the wording of the 2nd Amendment, people get the message "use your guns so the gov't doesn't overstep its power" from "A well-regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state". The Founders originally thought the militia would suffice for national defense instead of a standing army, so the message is less "fight the government" and more "fight FOR the government".
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6730

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm awestruck that from the wording of the 2nd Amendment, people get the message "use your guns so the gov't doesn't overstep its power" from "A well-regulated militia, being necessary for the security of a free state". The Founders originally thought the militia would suffice for national defense instead of a standing army, so the message is less "fight the government" and more "fight FOR the government".
well regulated militia = standing army.

every male US citizen 18-45 is part of the "unorganized" militia. The message is essentially "fight the government," which was confirmed by Thomas Jefferson after shay's rebellion, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5599

All of those people who think they are defending liberty with their .22s are shit talkers. Our government does tyrannical things to its citizens everyday through the drug war. None of those patriots ever say or do a thing about that.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6730

Macbeth wrote:

All of those people who think they are defending liberty with their .22s are shit talkers. Our government does tyrannical things to its citizens everyday through the drug war. None of those patriots ever say or do a thing about that.
RIP Waco
DesertFox-

Cybargs wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

every male US citizen 18-45 is part of the "unorganized" militia. The message is essentially "fight the government," which was confirmed by Thomas Jefferson after shay's rebellion, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
The militia isn't a professional, standing army though. For a new, poor country, having militia provide their own weapons just helps helped keep costs lower, not to mention there wasn't a great deal of variation between a top-grade military weapon and a hunting rifle.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6730

DesertFox- wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

The militia isn't a professional, standing army though. For a new, poor country, having militia provide their own weapons just helps helped keep costs lower, not to mention there wasn't a great deal of variation between a top-grade military weapon and a hunting rifle.
the well regulated militia part meant a standing army, it's just the wording of the top.
DesertFox-
I imagine if they meant that, they would've said it. They knew the difference between a militia and an army.

Wikipedia wrote:

After the war, though, the Continental Army was quickly given land certificates and disbanded in a reflection of the republican distrust of standing armies. State militias became the new nation's sole ground army, with the exception of a regiment to guard the Western Frontier and one battery of artillery guarding West Point's arsenal. However, because of continuing conflict with Native Americans, it was soon realized that it was necessary to field a trained standing army. The first of these, the Legion of the United States, was established in 1791 and disbanded in 1796.
So that's when the standing army was created, whereas the Bill of Rights was worked on from 1789-1791.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So the CT shooter did own his own guns.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21969906

And there's debate on the stigma for the mentally ill the gun laws will create, and might be counterproductive to boot.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21890032

I don't see an easy answer, discouraging people from seeking help for mental health issues by stigmatising them forever will just mean marginal people with guns will be untreated and more dangerous.
Obviously dangerous nuts shouldn't have guns though, I don't know what the answer is.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6730
https://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66662000/jpg/_66662673_163417525.jpg

gun buyback in jersey lol. look how effective it is!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5599

Gabby Gifford's husband is a tool. I hope is getting some non disabled pussy on the side for humiliating himself.
DesertFox-
Man, it scares me how many people with guns REALLY want to shoot an intruder. It's like, their number one daydream is to kill another human being under quasi-legal circumstances.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa … -1.1208337

Smith told investigators he was fearful after several break-ins at his remote home about 10 miles south of Little Falls, a central Minnesota town of 8,000 people. The sheriff's office had only one report of a break-in, on Oct. 27. Smith reported losing thousands of dollars in cash, gold coins, two guns, photo equipment and jewelry.

Wetzel said that while the shootings happened on Thursday, Smith waited until Friday to report the deaths, explaining that "he didn't want to trouble us on a holiday."

In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Schaeffel came into view from the waist down.

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

Smith said he dragged Schaeffel's body into his basement workshop, then sat down on his chair. After a few minutes, Kifer began coming down the stairs and he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, he said.

After shooting her with both the Mini 14 and the .22-caliber revolver, he dragged her next to Schaeffel. With her still gasping for air, he fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium," the complaint says.

"Smith described it as `a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the complaint.
There's a hell of a lot of lowings and sh1ftys praying for an intruder.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6636|Little Bentcock
That guy is a psycho.

give him a gun.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard