SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Took a sick day from work. I felt sick last night but could have powered through it. It's largely a mental health day if anything. Using it to finish up paperwork and stuff I need to get done.

I always feel guilty when taking a sick day. Do you guys feel the same way?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Yeah I feel like sick days are a cop-out. Even when I can barely get out of bed. Not sure why, I've always felt that way and I know many people my age don't feel guilty at all about taking them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Never. Feeling guilty for taking a sick day when you are sick is toxic Americana. Our horrendous work/life balance kills. "Mental health day," lol this country.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-02-08 13:30:07)

uziq
+492|3450
didn't feel bad when i was salaried as i worked for a not-for-profit with a generally awesome workplace culture and plenty of room given for worker welfare.

now i'm freelance i definitely don't care. bitch, i'll take 3 weeks off to go drink cocktails from a coconut shell on a beach with a beautiful woman. eat me.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Even though I feel guilty, it's never been towards the company it's always been towards my teammates who need to pick up my slack. I've also considered myself lucky enough to always work in positions where I have a great w/l balance and am encouraged to take time of whenever I feel like it. But I still feel guilty.
I also felt guilty for missing school when I was sick growing up.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Are you or were you ever Catholic?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
Atheist/Agnostic from birth
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
No guilt just annoyance that I have to use a day that could have been vacation.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

My current job is extremely high stress so sick days are pretty much required. I've taken I think 6 or 7 days off since mid October, and am going on vacation again in 2 weeks. I don't feel bad one bit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I'm done with stressful work, most of which is dealing with other people's shit and poor planning, its not worth it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
that’s one way to say ‘unemployed’.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
OK great.

I know a millionaire who destroyed his digestive system with stress.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
is it great?

i’d rather be the millionaire with an actual life tbh.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Went out of my way to prevent a depressed teen from having a panic attack. Got her her jacket with the bus pass back. Could have sent her away but didn't.

I don't think I deserve a medal but it would be nice to have this small kindness on record with the big guy in the sky.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

It has been added to your permanent record. I'm looking at my notes and unfortunately the 318 snuff videos you watched this week have a considerable negative impact on your overall score.

You're gonna need a lot of reps on the rosary just to come out positive this week. How many students ya got?
uziq
+492|3450
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FLOF7GXXsAIRNtU?format=jpg&name=large

jesus. a fixed term - meaning no job security, few if any benefits, no representation, no pension, etc - job at the one of the most prestigious postings in the world … for 2/3rd the average UK salary.

academia in the anglophone world is currently a sump. massively overweening administrative apparatuses, fat cat chancellors and a managerial caste are bleeding it dry. the financialization of higher-ed is a total calamity.

imagine being one of the most qualified academic experts in the world, at the top of your game intellectually, and having to apply for massively oversubscribed jobs that pay less than a coffee shop wage.

it’s even worse in the US. post-docs from the top5-10 institutions in the world in their respective disciplines are competing with 100s of applications for every vacancy in places like the rural college of lower boise, idaho.

shit pisses me off because a PhD should be such an attractive and stimulating proposition.

e: this is perhaps a strictly ‘first world problem’ on the face of it, but it’s pretty amusing that the blue-collar type who spend all their time moaning about their ‘precariousness’ could easily make 3x an academic’s pay in a trade.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-10 08:43:34)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
What makes blue collar work particularly precarious is that they are one injury away from being destitute. I can hobble around the building with one foot. If I worked on cars still...I am not making it to work with one foot.

I said in another thread that I would sooner cut my wrist than work on cars again. I mean it. I would literally commit suicide if it came to it.
uziq
+492|3450
point taken that it's harder work, but it's only vastly better remunerated. and it's not like the current wage differential between 'skilled manual' labour and 'skilled intellectual' labour is even close. if you want to work in academia or pure research, you have to basically accept the wage of summer kitchen staff or a barista.

it really doesn't have to be this way. these higher-ed institutions have some of the biggest endowments of any institution on the planet. an average international student at a place like oxford is paying 3x the domestic fees, i.e. £25-30k, per year. so the lecturers they are employing and entrusting to teach the undergrads ... are being paid less per year ... than one fee-paying student's contributions.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I think it is an almost reasonable trade off. Educators and academics have jobs that are fairly cushy compared to most other service and blue collar jobs. There are also a lot of perks to being an academic or teacher that are intangible. Few people proudly put "mechanic" on their dating profile.

That said of course we could live in a world where everyone is compensated fairly and no one feels bad about their job. But we aren't there yet.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
The truck drivers must be destroyed by the way
uziq
+492|3450
i should say that i don't really think there's much profit in pitting blue-collar against white-collar in any case. in all respects they are both working peoples and not part of the capitalist order that owns things and runs the show. lower-middle class blue collar types have more in common with bougie academics (and homeless drug-addicts, criminals, and racial minorities, for that matter) than they do with the ruling-class elites they so often (mis)identify with.

in that sense i just meant it as a point of comparison, nothing more. there is absolutely zero convincing reason why the world's richest countries cannot pay all their workers equitably and still have plenty left to spare. if countries like the netherlands can even afford to pay their PhD students a decent living wage - let alone making education free, considered as a right/service rather than a commodity - then i'm sure fucking superpowers or world-leading institutions can carry it off too.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-10 10:10:14)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Blue collar people definitely carry a chip on their shoulder. I only see blue collar types taking shit on Facebook. Meanwhile white collar people are like.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/002/284/781/8e9.gif
That said of course white collar people may punch down and be dismissive to blue collar people but that sort of stuff doesn't have a whole political culture promoting it.

Also I would say service workers and blue collar people are two different groups. Aside from demographically, there is no cultural/political project around making service workers feel good. Service workers are also not really the ones talking shit on white collar people. Frankly, it is white blue collar people doing professional culture war. Their resentment is doubled toward non-white professionals.

But yeah there is enough money here for everyone to live comfortably. It is a matter of political and cultural decisions that lead to inequality.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Blue collar people punch down on services all the time. Usually it's because they "make less money," so they must be an inferior breed. "Not everyone can do what we do!" Bruh, you're like on your 30th smoke break this hour, you would collapse in retail or burger flipping.

This is really no mystery. There has been a toxic waft against "unskilled labor" from right wing media for a long time, just as against "educated elites" (the ExPeRtS). Blue collars watch a lot of Fox and (listened) to a lot of Rush.

Everyone here's seen Office Space, yeah? That movie vibed with a lot of blue collar. "Get out of your BS white collar job and go into construction, the objectively best non-BS job!" It's really weird to me too that the film's been talked to me about in that light. It's as white collar as it is blue collar. People even in grunt-level construction and contracting have to deal with a lot of their own BS, multiple bosses, sometimes clunky printers. "Did you take the before and after pictures, text them over!" At the upper levels of the biz, on the phone all the time. Drama between cities and properties, inspectors asking for the mathematically impossible. "Can you find and resend me an email you sent at sometime between 2011 and 2014?"

For people in it on their own, crippling taxations and requirements to meet administrative overhead. Grow or die.

I guess it's nice that they got a movie that made them feel happy about their jobs though.

there is absolutely zero convincing reason why the world's richest countries cannot pay all their workers equitably and still have plenty left to spare.
uziq
+492|3450
i'm still totally flabbergasted at the sheer audacity of that oxford jobs posting. £19k a year for a PhD university lecturing job at the very top echelon.

i made more than that in my first corporate bottom-rung job straight out of uni. a stop-gap summer job. 10 years ago.

Last edited by uziq (2022-02-10 13:29:09)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

You could probably afford to rent a pretty nice park bench with that money though. Don't be greedy!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard