Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
Nailed that one I think. Would be cool to get a 20k raise for getting laid off.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Make sure to put the extra money toward's Tyler's college fund. Don't want him to have to earn his accounting degree driving an APC around Mumbai.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Already set up
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

make sure you say 'how do you do' instead of 'nice to meet you' so they know you weren't raised by poor people.
I hve a recruiter with a posh London accent doing my intros. All set
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Like my loafers, former gophers*

I really like the vest!
made of real gorilla chest!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

hard drugs to me is stuff that involves physical addiction and thus big changes to lifestyle. heroin, crystal meth, crack cocaine, alcohol too (people will get funny about admitting that).
Then you're using a definition no-one else uses.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Development_of_a_rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_of_potential_misuse_%28physical_harm_and_dependence%2C_NA_free_means%29.svg/380px-Development_of_a_rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_of_potential_misuse_%28physical_harm_and_dependence%2C_NA_free_means%29.svg.png

Even the laid-back dutch class cocaine as a hard drug.
https://www.government.nl/topics/drugs/ … soft-drugs
doing coke at house parties when your mate offers is hardly being involved in a criminal lifestyle with hard drugs.
It was a bit more than that IIRC.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
I don't trust that chart. How is LSD given a dependency ranking?
uziq
+492|3453
cocaine is addictive. alcohol is addictive. both ruin lives. not that controversial. you saying i do 'hard drugs' as if drugs have had some huge health effect or lifestyle change on my life is not true. i partied as an undergraduate, got into some trouble in my second year, went through my first big breakup and got very teenage and emotional, but then passed top of my class, and lead a completely normal life. my social life is undoubtedly better than yours. people get in trouble when they're young. i've never been in a fight in a bar or got pulled over for drink driving. young people make errors of judgement and mine was throwing too many parties and taking things too far. i also made a mistake in living with an ex-girlfriend who had major psychological problems, which trapped me in an ugly atmosphere and made everything seem very dramatic at the time. we were 19 and stupid. nothing bad ever came of that situation. if you recall i pretty much flipped into a different living situation and a better relationship after that and continued partying just as before. i posted everything here so it's hardly something i consider shameful.

but to say that i do 'hard drugs' and 'associate with criminals' is funny. in that case i guess most people in my sort of pleasant and respectable, educated middle-class lifestyle are hard drug users and criminal associates. there's nothing unusual about the sort of life i choose to lead in my mid-20s.

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-24 00:48:13)

uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

sure dilbert, i'm using a definition 'no-one' else uses.

https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/20101106_WOC504_0.gif

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/file … l-harm.png

i just found two charts/studies in 20 seconds using that research tool, google images, that also make a distinction between cocaine and crack cocaine.

it's almost as if it's well-studied that they have very different highs and create very different types of addicts.

derp derp derp derp

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-24 00:50:33)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Superior Mind wrote:

Ask Ken
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but to say that i do 'hard drugs' and 'associate with criminals' is funny. in that case i guess most people in my sort of pleasant and respectable, educated middle-class lifestyle are hard drug users and criminal associates. there's nothing unusual about the sort of life i choose to lead in my mid-20s.
'Most people'  in 'educated middle-class lifestyles' do cocaine or other hard drugs? I find that hard to believe.
In the UK its about 4%
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 98273.html

That's a long way from 'most people'. You're simply trying to rationalise your aberrant personal choices. You're still aberrant.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-02-24 03:41:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

sure dilbert, i'm using a definition 'no-one' else uses.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/file … l-harm.png

i just found two charts/studies in 20 seconds using that research tool, google images, that also make a distinction between cocaine and crack cocaine.

it's almost as if it's well-studied that they have very different highs and create very different types of addicts.

derp derp derp derp
So you're saying its a good thing that cocaine is mid-way between amphetamine and crystal meth?
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.
uziq
+492|3453

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

'Most people'  in 'educated middle-class lifestyles' do cocaine or other hard drugs? I find that hard to believe.
In the UK its about 4%
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho … 98273.html

That's a long way from 'most people'. You're simply trying to rationalise your aberrant personal choices. You're still aberrant.
4% of the entire population who would admit to it.

i would say that cocaine use is very prevalent in my industry. just like it is in banking or finance. it greased social occasions and business deals. people often slip off to the toilets in pairs or trios at work dos. aberrant? powder coke at a party gives a mild buzz. i'd say aberrant behaviour is vomiting in the street and spending all day in bed hungover. but nevermind. me and my 'hard drugs' lifestyle.

this report states one in ten people have tried it. hardly a rare thing. you couldn't find one in ten who have tried trout fishing. for comparison, 16% of people described themselves as 'smokers' in 2015 in the UK. 55% of men and 65% of women said they had consumed alcohol in the last year. there's a vast range of lifestyles and choices that we make and i wouldn't say people taking cocaine are living some extreme, fringe, 'hard drug' lifestyle. in the metropolitan and cultural centres it is very prevalent.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 … 001-report

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-24 04:06:07)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I got to get a hold of some of this khat stuff. Where can I buy this?
uziq
+492|3453
khat is rubbish. just go to your local somali or ethiopian community. they all sit around on steps chewing the stuff.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I rather not have to deal with Somalis. I hope Trump takes care of that.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Ask Ken
LSD is a must try in my opinion!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
And that chart uzi posted says mushrooms cause some harm to the user. If feeling tired the next day is harm then ok.
uziq
+492|3453
uuuuum they're the least harmful drug on all the charts. what are you quibbling with there? and the harm is technically classed as 'drug-specific impairment of mental functioning'. mushrooms are beautiful and profound but i don't think anyone should operate a lathe or drive a car on them. i think it's safe to say there is a slim margin of harm.
uziq
+492|3453
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

this report states one in ten people have tried it. hardly a rare thing. you couldn't find one in ten who have tried trout fishing. for comparison, 16% of people described themselves as 'smokers' in 2015 in the UK. 55% of men and 65% of women said they had consumed alcohol in the last year. there's a vast range of lifestyles and choices that we make and i wouldn't say people taking cocaine are living some extreme, fringe, 'hard drug' lifestyle. in the metropolitan and cultural centres it is very prevalent.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 … 001-report
From 1/10 have tried cocaine to saying most people use it regularly, its very prevalent etc is a very loooooooong stretch.

By all definitions its a hard drug, that more damaging drugs have come along later doesn't push it down the scale, that some of your associates also use it doesn't make it normal.
uziq
+492|3453
for one in ten people to have taken a drug in the last year is pretty common enough i think. one in ten sounds fractional but, so far as lifestyle choices go, there's such a huge range that it's really not that surprising. how many people have been on a bike ride in the last 12 months? the fact that alcohol use in the uk, which is taken as pretty much ubiquitous and a default thing that everyone does, sits at around 60%, shows that cocaine use (like weed smoking) are hardly the fringe and extreme activities they once were.

so what is 'normal' if alcohol consumption is a 50/50 split down the nation, taken as a whole? i think you'd struggle to find any 'normal' activity by the sorts of definition you're looking for. 'normal' depends on social context and clique; it depends on the culture, too. if you live in london as a young person, i can guarantee you that you won't bat an eyelid at someone taking cocaine at a party, or be alarmed by the conspicuous queues to bar and club toilets as part of the nightlife scene. it is everywhere. the fact that 10% of people have taken it in the last 12 months says enough – 10% is actually a pretty high number (do you think one in ten people, taken on average, have consumed whiskey in the last 12 months? would you consider consuming whiskey abnormal or strange behaviour?). the fact that 16% of people SMOKED in the last year, when you can purchase cigarettes at every corner shop and petrol station in the country, should put that in perspective. cocaine is a class A drug with an illicit, black-market supply route, and yet only 6% fewer people have taken it than who have bought a packet of cigarettes (if you want to put much faith in these various surveys, of course). so please don't tell me it's some abnormal lifestyle choice. cocaine use is very casualised among young people and especially those working in london.

i live here and mix in these milieus: you view all drug use as a grumbling old man who reads alarmist tabloids views drug use. you keep banging on about 'hard drugs' whilst ignoring the fact that all the charts put alcohol and tobacco right up there among them. as if 'hard drugs' is some nastier category. i made a distinction between crack and regular cocaine – as most drugs studies do – because they create very different types of behaviour and have vastly different addiction potentials. when you try to smear my lifestyle as a 'hard drugs' user you're basically trying to paint me as a cokefiend or a person keeled over in a bedsit with a needle in his arm; that's the image associated with 'hard drugs' (and that's the sense i'm taking when i talk about them, as drugs that hijack your life). you can't process the fact that lots of ordinary working professionals and well-to-do bohos sneak off to the toilets for a few lines on a night out. to you it has to be this murdoch-inspired, evil, shameful activity. this is why it's easy to caricature you as a neckbeard. go to any night-time area in sydney or melbourne and take a look around. this shit is not rare or deviant behaviour.

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-25 04:33:41)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
you can't process the fact that lots of ordinary working professionals and well-to-do bohos sneak off to the toilets for a few lines on a night out.
Because I don't believe that its 'normal', because I don't think it is and the figures support me.
Its not 1/10 have taken it in the past year, its 1/25, not the same thing at all.
Cocaine is a hard drug and has been for a while, that crack and crystal meth are slightly harder doesn't diminish it one bit.
That 4% of people have casualised it doesn't make it normal, and yes I've been out and about in cities all over the world, never seen people using, never seen these long queues you talk about.
I think you're trying to normalise the world around your own behaviour, that is all.
uziq
+492|3453
you've never been in an environment with people who have taken cocaine? i think you are either naive or sheltered.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
3 more interviews this week, two I would consider dream positions in construction management for big firms. Fingers crossed!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard