SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Ty wrote:

Fuck no.

Also technically I never left. Still have all my stuff. Kind of speaks to just how organised the NZDF is.
What is wrong with the military? It is not like they are sending you to Iraq anytime soon.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
The one recruiter that sort of stayed in touch with me had me interview for a crummy $12/hr receptionist job at an actual sciencey place instead of actually using my degree. Most of the other ones who emailed me were "excited to share this opportunity" with me to fucking sell insurance.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
I only apply for specific jobs, if they can't stuff you into a job they have to stuff someone into then they're not interested in you.

Having said that I have applied for specific jobs and not got them and then they've had another job bob up and I've got it, twice now.
Also I've been headhunted a couple of times on linkedin. Both times turned it down.

But otherwise don't expect them to materialise in six months because 'you're on their books' because you aren't, just keep applying for jobs as they appear.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I have a couple for jobs to apply for, it would be really nice to give my CEO the finger.

Also I spotted a job for an associate - car mechanic with a race team - and he's into the final round of interviews. He's a funny guy, he's pissed off with his job, he and his wife work at the same place and he managed to wangle it so he took her maternity leave instead of her.
He used to have his own race car so its kind of his dream, I hope he gets it.

Thirdly, in the next few months my company is likely to have six women off work for maternity leave simultaneously.
I and a colleague have had to suck up some of the resulting slack, some of which has been due to one of the women not doing her job before she left - which has left us deep in the shit and fairly pissed off.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Got laid off on Friday. Wonderful timing with a 4 week old.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
sorry to hear that.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It happens. My boss retired last year and I got moved to a new group. Company had a bad year and I was in the low man position. I dont think I'll be out of work for long, my industry is almost always at full employment. Just horrendous timing. Oh well.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Guess you weren't hard enough of a worker.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3371
Sorry to hear that, Jay. As a libertarian, is it against your morals to accept employment insurance payments (maybe called unemployment insurance in the states)?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Jay's political beliefs have never stopped him from taking every handout he qualified for.

I bet you he filed for unemployment and medicaid while he was on the train back home.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Jay. As a libertarian, is it against your morals to accept employment insurance payments (maybe called unemployment insurance in the states)?
Unemployment wouldn't even cover my diaper bill. And no, it wouldn't be because it's insurance. My ex-employer has to pay unemployment insurance to cover it. Consider it deferred salary.

Anyway, no, no unemployment for me. They gave me a severance so I should be ok for a few months if it takes longer than I think, but I get headhunted a few times a week so it should be quick.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
i have never been unemployed or fired. so much for my precarious humanities education.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

uziq wrote:

i have never been unemployed or fired. so much for my precarious humanities education.
You're also you, though. I guarantee I'd still be unemployed if I majored in English or Literature or Philosophy.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
He's also been working for all of five minutes, so whatever.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
i'm 27 and unlike someone i didn't need the government to keep me in a job through my aimless and misspent twenties. also didn't contribute to death, misery and rapine in a far-flung destination just to stop myself from joining the welfare queue at home.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Didn't you nearly spend your twenties in jail?
uziq
+492|3453
i'm sorry you didn't have a social life at university dilbert. i had a fucking blast and still ended up in a highly respected career. i definitely made mistakes and took some things too far, but i'm not ashamed of them. young men do foolish things at age 19/20. this may shock a wallflower like you. definitely not as morally questionable as going to war for a free ride through college. i made my own individual mistakes and assumed my own responsibility. that's called growing up. didn't need to suckle on the teet of the state, either.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i'm sorry you didn't have a social life at university dilbert. i had a fucking blast and still ended up in a highly respected career. i definitely made mistakes and took some things too far, but i'm not ashamed of them. young men do foolish things at age 19/20. this may shock a wallflower like you. definitely not as morally questionable as going to war for a free ride through college. i made my own individual mistakes and assumed my own responsibility. that's called growing up. didn't need to suckle on the teet of the state, either.
I didn't have a rich uncle to pay for school for me.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
no one paid for my school. i even posted my scholarship letter here all those years ago. i know it hurts you. you still see those brown people you contributed towards killing just so you could sit in a technical college in the bronx.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Finished my resume around lunch and I already have two interviews. What a confidence boost
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453
make sure you say 'how do you do' instead of 'nice to meet you' so they know you weren't raised by poor people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Blow off the interviews. Shave your head. Throw away all of your belongings and join a Buddhist temple.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Gots ta pay da bills, yo!
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

This might blow your mind, but, I did have a social life, one that didn't involve hard drugs or associating with criminals.
uziq
+492|3453
wouldn't say i did hard drugs or associated with criminals. i think you're a little sheltered. it's not unusual for students to do a little blow or take mdma and go to nightclubs. i'm sure the board games society at imperial was a blast.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard