KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

i always thought those sort of questions were really weird.  I've been called twice about former subordinates and I've said only positive things. In fact, one of them was a former boss who ended up working under me by the time he left.

What kind of fucked up person would impede someone's opportunity to land a job by slandering them?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
Some people are just honest.

If you hired somebody who you fired after a month and always showed up late and was a terrible worker then got a call from their potential new employer asking about them, would you lie and say they were a good worker?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

no but i would hope a person wouldn't list someone who fired them as a reference.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3371
I've had 2 managers now who will happily throw anyone under the bus if it helps them. If they need someone to stay, they'll make it happen any way they can, including submarining reference checks. 1 I heard the phone call on, the other let it slip at an after work event.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

well if Canadian government works in the same capacity as American government, that does not surprise me.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

no but i would hope a person wouldn't list someone who fired them as a reference.
Therein lies the entire reason for references: names on a paper.

I bet 90% of references could be fake names with fake numbers, hiring managers just want to see that there are people who you trust enough to write down as 'potential' references. Anybody who gets fired at every job they have won't have references.
The fact that anybody has stayed at their current job should be proof enough they're qualified enough for an interview.

What do references tell you? They're good at their job? They're a qualified candidate? The resume, interview, and acknowledgement they haven't been fired should be enough.

References should be exclusively for young professionals/high-schoolers who have no prior experience therefor no way of proving their work ethic or character.

/rant
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
well interview is setup for friday morning.

I'm not sold on the job already, but interview practice never hurts, and hey you can always turn down a job if they offer it.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
back from the interview.

as far as interviews go I did alright. as far as the job goes, I feel even less interested.

will keep everyone updated.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
q-q-q-quad post!

was offered the job. will turn it down. the extra money + better title isn't worth it imo. It's not outrageously more money.

will no longer keep everyone updated.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3371
Welp, it looks like the ship is sinking in my unit. The senior staff have already jumped ship and put in notice. Mid-level staff all have contracts terminate in about 3 months. No job competitions started. No transfer of knowledge. Looks like I'm about to be on the market.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
You need to prove your disaster management unit is still important. Start a forest fire.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3371
Oh, the unit's work isn't going anywhere. It's the staffing that's the problem. We have so much work and so few resources that people feel way too stressed out to stay, management doesn't have time to run job competitions, and decisions are forced to be made relatively quickly which results in sub-optimal precedent being set.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.

pirana6 wrote:

was offered the job. will turn it down. the extra money + better title isn't worth it imo. It's not outrageously more money.
fuck now I'm regretting this. I didn't take the (slightly) higher paying job with a better title and more independence because I guessed it wouldn't be as enjoyable?

I'm an idiot. Well I guess it's a good learning opportunity.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Sometimes its better to stretch yourself. A move and a promotion can look good.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.

pirana6 wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

fuck now I'm regretting this. I didn't take the (slightly) higher paying job with a better title and more independence because I guessed it wouldn't be as enjoyable?

I'm an idiot. Well I guess it's a good learning opportunity.
Well I went back on this.

I emailed the person back and said I acted to hastily, regret my decision, acknowledge my reasons were unfounded, etc. etc. I tried to be as humble as possible and told her if the position opened up again down the line I would be interested - secretly hoping it would still be open now and she'd reconsider me (I emailed her back less than 24 hours after initially declining).

Here's where the story gets interesting... I was expecting her to say something like, "Sorry we've already filled the position. Good luck in your search" or something like that. Instead she said, "We just hired the person that position will report to. I'll let him know your situation as well as the hiring situation on the whole and he'll be in touch."
Huh? You could offer me the position before he was there but a day later you have to wait for his approval? Odd.
He called me the coming monday and asked me to come down and talk with him about the position. I did and it was essentially another interview... fair enough, but he added at the end that it was basically down to me or they re-open the search and start-over. I figured since I had be approved from the people that already work there I would be in. Unfortunately he called yesterday and said he was going to re-open it. He gave me some spiel about it not being about me, that he would like me to re-apply, etc. Of course when it's you vs nobody and you lose... you have no intention of trying again. For all intents I came in last in a race of 1.

After ALL this, my boss put in to give me a raise/promotion. Nothing life changing - a grand a year or so - so I came out up - not necessarily ahead, but up.

tldr: Applied for job, was interviewed, was offered position, declined position, reneged on declination, was re-interviewed, was declined offer.

What a clusterfuck
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
You are handling your career like a 14 year old.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
I agree this was a mess on my part

but what did you decide you wanted to do with your life again? Now that you've been turned down for everything and are in your late 20s.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3960|SL,UT

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You are handling your career like a 14 year old.
you are handling your career like blademaster's bitch.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

pirana6 wrote:

I agree this was a mess on my part

but what did you decide you wanted to do with your life again? Now that you've been turned down for everything and are in your late 20s.
I haven't decided on anything. I don't want children or to be a home owner so I am not trying too hard to do anything new or building towards something. A big part of me just wants to run off and drop out of American society. Joining a militia or fighting in a conflict sounds more appealing than getting a career going because I don't see a fulfilling endgame to it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I might be resigning on Monday, time to do something else, wish me luck!
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6175|Sydney | ♥

Has the recent election given you some motivation to move into politics?
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3371

Dilbert_X wrote:

Monday has passed. Where you at?
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3960|SL,UT

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

he's panhandling at Ayer's Rock giving the abo's tips on how to pose for facebook. When he's not in his mum's basement clogging the toilet mind you . . .
uziq
+492|3452

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Oh, the unit's work isn't going anywhere. It's the staffing that's the problem. We have so much work and so few resources that people feel way too stressed out to stay, management doesn't have time to run job competitions, and decisions are forced to be made relatively quickly which results in sub-optimal precedent being set.
sounds like you work in publishing. that sort of mid-level staff exodus can sink a whole publishing house. especially if it's editors who leave, I.e. the core team who commission the book list and maintain quality. my publishing house is losing 2/3rds of its senior editors in one quarter. i think next year it might not exist anymore. doesn't bother me, of course.

also, weren't you an English major? stop abusing the language and brutalising your culture with nonsense cunt phrases like "sub-optimal precedents".

Last edited by uziq (2016-07-21 00:21:03)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Still waiting for a meeting with my manager.

If there is one thing which really puts my back up its being taken for granted.
The company is changing direction, my role is expected to change radically, its been assumed that I'm OK with it - which I'm not and I made it clear a year ago. Best not to announce publically Dilbert is going to be doing something when Dilbert has said privately he absolutely is not.

The CEO is a cunt who expects everyone to submit to his whims and piss-poor strategy.
This is what the share price has done over the past five years so who is the prick?
https://i.imgur.com/eCLB2Xpl.png
If he'd listened to me at the last planning meeting we'd have some neat features on our products, not just a set of 'me-too' junk.
The funny part is the sales manager jumped ship to a competitor and took my best ideas with him - which are now on their released products.
If there is another planning meeting and I'm there this is going to be pointed out very crudely.

My direct manager is OK, he's caught up in the crap too, but I'm not going to submit out of pity.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-07-21 02:20:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard