Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6624|Little Bentcock
Im sitting on bf2s at work.

I feel bad for not trying to be busy
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
So, I have two standing offers right now, and I've pretty much made up my decision, but was curious what you guys think.

Company A is located in Manhattan and my commute would be a half hour door to door via train every day. They have a more formal work environment where I'd be wearing a shirt and tie every day and everyone is grouped into teams. They are a more traditionally structured corporate firm where there is a hierarchy and opportunities to advance. The owner of this company worked his way up from an internship position all the way up into becoming the majority shareholder.

Company B is located on Long Island and I would have to commute by car on Long Island roads, which means my commute could range anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes given the weather conditions and the number of asshole New Jersey commuters there are on the road causing accidents. They're offering me more money and the work environment is super informal. I'd be wearing a button down shirt and jeans to work every day. I would have to buy a car. The company structure is much more informal with people working all over the place and no set hierarchy aside from the boss and his parents that own the company (it's a family company and the boss was given the job out of college). There is the opportunity here to make more money, possibly, based on my performance and how well the guy likes me.

So what say you bf2s? My mind is pretty made up already, but I'm curious what you think.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-23 10:07:36)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Um NYers can't drive. You guys stop in the ez pass tolls for God's sake. You also don't understand that you are supposed to do over 65 in the passing lane.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
First option. Commuting into long island is the worst thing ever.

Also I start a new job next week.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2013-03-23 10:06:53)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
We stop at ez pass tolls because we have gates on our toll booths. Habit. When I drive in Jersey I just use those awesome bypasses you guys have in the left lane and wave at all the saps paying cash.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

First option. Commuting into long island is the worst thing ever.

Also I start a new job next week.
Congratulations!
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Thanks Jay. You would probably think it's really hipster.

My brother commutes from Staten Island to Long Island everyday for work and he sits in JFK traffic every single day.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
If I took the job with company A, I would walk four blocks to the LIRR station, jump on the train and be in Manhattan in twenty minutes, followed by a five minute walk to the office. Really doesn't get better than that.
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
Seems like a no brainer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

So, I have two standing offers right now, and I've pretty much made up my decision, but was curious what you guys think.

Company A is located in Manhattan and my commute would be a half hour door to door via train every day. They have a more formal work environment where I'd be wearing a shirt and tie every day and everyone is grouped into teams. They are a more traditionally structured corporate firm where there is a hierarchy and opportunities to advance. The owner of this company worked his way up from an internship position all the way up into becoming the majority shareholder.

Company B is located on Long Island and I would have to commute by car on Long Island roads, which means my commute could range anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes given the weather conditions and the number of asshole New Jersey commuters there are on the road causing accidents. They're offering me more money and the work environment is super informal. I'd be wearing a button down shirt and jeans to work every day. I would have to buy a car. The company structure is much more informal with people working all over the place and no set hierarchy aside from the boss and his parents that own the company (it's a family company and the boss was given the job out of college). There is the opportunity here to make more money, possibly, based on my performance and how well the guy likes me.

So what say you bf2s? My mind is pretty made up already, but I'm curious what you think.
Company A. Better quality of life, a hierarchical structure allows you to build your CV and progress, assuming you progress, formal clothes should help disguise your size.
Having a carrot dangled based on how someone likes you is not something I like, but then its kind of working for me now.

But then I've made some poor career choices so I dunno.
I've found the best way is to rate jobs on how much you will learn and how it will help you get the next job.
When I don't follow this rule is when things go wrong, and I've seen a lot of people work their bums off trying to please their boss only to suddenly realise they have no transferable skills and are unemployable.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-23 21:11:54)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
jsnipy
+3,276|6524|...

sucks for you guys who don't wfh
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Looks like I have a new job.

Official title: Wine Advisor.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6781|Great Brown North
quit my job before i burned the fucking place down

current status: looking
fucks given: none
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

Jaekus wrote:

Looks like I have a new job.

Official title: Wine Advisor.
i believe the term is sommelier, you uncouth antipodean barbarian
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
Sommeliers typically work in restaurants. It's not a hospitality based role, nor do I have the qualifications to be a sommelier.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-03-26 05:58:08)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
you advise people on wine but you're not in hospitality? what are they using it for? investments?

and most sommeliers i've met work on/for vineyards, not in restaurants

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-26 05:59:17)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you advise people on wine but you're not in hospitality? what are they using it for? investments?

and most sommeliers i've met work on/for vineyards, not in restaurants
he probably works at the bottle shop
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
lol. liquor store cash machine attendant. middle-class neighbourhood --> 'wine advisor'.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
I'll be selling wine via the phone, base with commissions and a lot of perks. Their top earners are on around $90 p/h

I get to choose my own hours and all calls are warm, with existing clients having market researched before handed to the outbound calling department.

They also offer internationally accredited training for free. They give a mixed case of wine to each employee every month as 'wine education', along with on the job wine tastings. The workplace culture is relaxed and lots of other musos and actors work there.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-03-26 06:13:58)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
sounds pretty decent, but you're basically telesales. 'wine advisor' is the sort of job title you tell people down the phone, to try and seem credible.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
Their words, not mine. They said I will be advising customers on wines to select according to their current tastes and food preferences. There's a lot of ongoing learning involved. It's not about ringing people up and telling them the specials, it's having conversations about wine, what they did/did not like, how people's palettes evolve, educating the customer on different wine regions/grapes/climates/vintages. Basically developing not only my own palette, knowledge and experience but learning how to convey that and make informed recommendations to the customer.

I'm pretty excited. Mental health was good for what it was but to be honest ever since I moved to Sydney I feel like I wanted a complete life change, and this seems to fit the bill nicely. A mate has worked there a couple years and says it's a great place to work.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
saying that, actually, i had a friend who moved to australia after graduating, and she found some work in the drinks industry. must be booming.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
https://drinks.seriouseats.com/images/2012/02/20120228-yellow-tail-reds.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
They said they turn over about $30 million a year and all their sales are direct, ie. there are no physical stores, hence the fact it's all over the phone. Must be booming indeed. I'm not sure if the international accreditation is to become a sommelier as they used a different term, and I'm sure they would have said sommelier if that's what they meant. Still, the training is delivered in-house by a couple of the few Masters of Wine that reside in Australia, which in itself is exciting to consider just how much knowledge those guys must have.

I can ramble on about it some more, but I'll leave it there. I'm very eager to get started; training begins in two weeks.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Jay wrote:

terrible terrible wine.

btw jaekus you wouldnt happen to work for red bottle would you?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard