unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

an opaque filter between bro's hobby headspace and professional life is probably called for.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,812|6239|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I briefly looked up the author from Alice in Wonderland...yikes. Yeah, I will in fact cancel that author.

The teacher mentioned he got in trouble for giving a student an inappropriate book last year. This year he got pulled into a meeting because a parent didn't like the furry manga he was using in class. "The anime is suggestive so I didn't use it. I just used the manga instead."

He also put up a poster for a female Star Wars character and this weird poster of a child sitting on a giant mushroom.

All very weird in hindsight. 🧐
Just a few red flag there.
Русский Π²ΠΎΠ΅Π½Π½Ρ‹ΠΉ ΠΊΠΎΡ€Π°Π±Π»ΡŒ, ΠΈΠ΄ΠΈ Π½Π° Ρ…ΡƒΠΉ!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,976|6765|949

RTHKI wrote:

We're leaving our doc control system after 6 months. Going back to old system until the new new one is ready.

Having quality be the only ones involved in the initial search went as well as expected lmao
Only QMS or engineering document repository too?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire
Quality/operations only. Maintenance/engineering kinda does their own thing, I think mainly just hosted in the corporate server

Last edited by RTHKI (2023-10-07 12:42:53)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I briefly looked up the author from Alice in Wonderland...yikes. Yeah, I will in fact cancel that author.

The teacher mentioned he got in trouble for giving a student an inappropriate book last year. This year he got pulled into a meeting because a parent didn't like the furry manga he was using in class. "The anime is suggestive so I didn't use it. I just used the manga instead."

He also put up a poster for a female Star Wars character and this weird poster of a child sitting on a giant mushroom.

All very weird in hindsight. 🧐
This teacher is walking into a buzzsaw. He found out which kid's parent complained.

He said he is now keeping track of the work the kid isn't doing, and said he will notify the parent that the kid isn't doing work or performing well. I told him "why don't you just pass him." My logic is: if the parent has time and energy to complain about you over this silly shit, they will complain if you fail the kid. You should do everything in your power to never have anyone complain about you, and try to avoid the creation of paperwork and documentation. He said he is still going to do it.

I looked up the kid's info. The teacher above would probably be the kid's only failure this marking period which is a bad look. You don't want to be the odd one out. Doubly so if the parent already thinks you are a weirdo.

I now have an interesting dilemma. Should I advise the other teacher to just pass the kid or should I just let it go because it is none of my business. How much responsibility do I have here?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

If you're at the point where you're pulling shitty grudges on students, even to the point of going out of your way for it, it's time to train for a different job. Like, get a grip. It costs nothing to be nice to people, and you have a room full of children or teenagers to give the benefit of the doubt.

This stuff sometimes turns into a boy who cried wolf situation, in the teachers' disfavor. Parents will roll their eyes and take the kids out for a burrito or something.

Some kids don't even get to go through a week without being written up for the dumbest, fake crap by people who will especially make sure the next school is aware of the "problem" so it follows the kids throughout their academic career like a foul miasma. People get tired of hearing about that bullshit, and it creates an adversarial relationship between parents and staff. Schools shouldn't have that kind of atmosphere.

Your colleague is setting himself up for failure. Creepy classroom atmosphere and harassment. RIP career.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A teacher victimising a student is one of the biggest red flags.

The teacher hasn't grown up.

At my job some fat oaf seems to have it in for me, criticising for things which are none of his business.
Couldn't care less, I'm mostly going to work to get out of the house, but its mildly annoying.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It costs nothing to be nice to people, and you have a room full of children or teenagers to give the benefit of the doubt
That is the part that I don't get. I saw a teacher go into a instructional meeting and ask her union rep and email her boss and all this other nonsense because a parent wanted a 99 as a final grade instead of a 97. The teacher brought a poster the kid made to the meeting to show where the student lost points that resulted in their final grade being off by two points from where the parent wanted it.

Beyond stupid battle for the teacher to fight.

I also think the above is why it is important to surround yourself with the right people at work. Complainers and people into constant nonsense will talk you into the same mindset eventually. I think the teacher above was talked into the fighting the parent by the teacher who complained he was short and the lady who told me "people will like you for who you are."

A good piece of advice I give out now whenever I hear someone fighting a parent about something is: How will fighting this parent materially benefit you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

sounds like a lose/lose to me.

teacher resists, then the meetings, phone spam, email spam, parents going over their head and trying to wreck their career. not good for the teacher, won't get left alone.

teacher folds, then a bad precedent is set, toxic parental influence reinforced, and the student doesn't learn to Just Do Better. every markdown subject to scrutiny and demands of revision henceforth. not good for the teacher, won't get left alone.

so who has a higher stake?

the easiest path is probably for the teacher to just get over it and fold. parents might see them as a pushover, but they'll be avoiding a Big Stupid Fight over an A+ grade vs an A+ grade. i mean, wow. who cares about 97 vs. 99. if they keep getting 97s and better they will graduate with a 4.0. and even then, it's not like grades always reflect good performance in a professional setting.

from a cynical point of view, it might be a good lesson for the private sector where unfairness and nepotistic advantage abound. "yes mark, joe got a higher score than you because his daddy demanded it."

parents should only intervene by necessity, as vague as that is. lodging complaint when bullying ignored by staff, or students are harassed by staff. sitting in on stuff for support or backup, but letting their kids take the lead with their own lives so they can develop a sense of independence. "timmy wants all the STEM he can get this year, don't you timmy? *meaningful look*" "uh sure." lol.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
The teacher wasn't fighting over a marking period grade. They were fighting over a final end of year grade. The kid wasn't going to be their problem anymore if they just gave the 99. They would never have had to ever hear from the parent again. Otherwise good points.

I think by high school the students should be developing independence. I think most parents actually feel this way and go hands off at 14. The kids by that age certainly feel that way. Which is why the parents going nuts about high school library books are extra strange. Significant portion of those parents are pedophiles too I suspect.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

ah, i didn't notice the final grade part. still, an A+ is an A+, right? who raises an issue about that? it's not even their own grade. it's their kid's grade. a successful grade. the kid is already being successful, so like back off, you psychopath?

if i wanted to be cute about it i'd say let the kid make a presentation about why they should get a 99 and i'd add that to their score, then at least it would be on their own merit. with the warning that college professors and that classroom environment can be far more petty and bs on stuff, or even worse: disengaged and all like "it's your dollar, whatever."

i realize this is all very backseat parenting of me, but who does this stuff? sheesh.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-10-18 00:40:52)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
According to my manager there is a global shortage of Dilberts.

People aren't going into Dilbertry these days and Dilberts are retiring faster than they're graduating.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

By your repeated admission you're pretty much doing what you're doing as a hobby, supported mainly by your stocks and your parents' house. So yeah, I don't think a lot of people are graduating from college with that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
Our new social worker is blind. Like she has a dog blind. I am in a zoom meeting with her. It is very creepy how she keeps swaying back and forth. I really don't want to see it.
https://previews.123rf.com/images/auremar/auremar1210/auremar121002994/15807533-black-man-covering-his-eyes.jpg
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6756|Little Bentcock
Have you ever taken a blind girl to bed? Now's your chance.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
I think one of my coworkers really doesn't like me. It is the guy who complained women don't like short guys. I think it has something to do with the that lady teacher that I tried to hook up with 2 summers ago.
https://img.freepik.com/free-photo/skillful-creative-ambitious-european-woman-trendy-t-shirt-standing-profile-white-wall-turning-with-satisfied-happy-self-assured-smile-holding-hand-chin_176420-22923.jpg?size=626&ext=jpg&ga=GA1.1.1880011253.1699574400&semt=ais

The teacher that doesn't like me looks like Bill Gates when he was younger.
https://media.gq.com/photos/563159ff43e3e6756cb30bea/16:9/w_2560%2Cc_limit/*GettyImages-551915847.jpg
During the summer school I got to know the girl, she had planned to go to lunch with during our breaks with him. I am not sure whose idea it was to go out for lunch. He wasn't working with us during that time. He didn't sign up to work summer school. He was just home. Both times they went out to lunch, she invited me and I went. I think he hasn't liked me ever since because I was a third wheel or something during those lunch hangouts.
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/B07DH3/two-men-and-a-woman-having-a-dinner-B07DH3.jpg
At the end of each lunch hangout, she would go back to summer school with me while he went home.
https://as2.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/01/85/10/15/1000_F_185101595_62Nr1fohTW3motK4ErsQkSmqKcpH9In5.jpg
At the end of summer school, she came back to my place, smoked a few joints and hanged out before ghosting me. Nothing happened and I didn't even try on her.
https://as2.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/03/72/09/41/1000_F_372094178_OyC8lIz6iwOaLckxdndlDl6KNjy3Zabo.jpg

Last time I spoke to her she was inviting me to hangout at her place next. The thing is that when we were hanging out together in summer school, the girl and me were openly flirty in front of the other teachers. We would leave to hangout at times while at work and also go for long lunch breaks. The girl has a boyfriend she lives with and even if she were single, going to my place to get high is pretty inappropriate.

I wonder if the lunch third wheel stuff plus any rumors about us hanging out got back to him. She mentioned he once told her "I was jealous of you when we first met because I thought you took (the job I wanted) but I think you are really cool now." So he is jealous, doesn't fuck, and I don't think he would ask her if anything happened if he heard from anyone about us hanging out and anything else. And I don't think she would offer up the story because going back to my place to get high while the boyfriend watches the dog isn't a good look.

So the guy is really cold to me which is unusual since I am friendly with everyone. I don't think I am misunderstanding our interactions since I can at least talk a girl into sleeping with me. But it bothers me how little nicety I get back from him.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

not my job, but implosion at escapist (under "gamurs," facepalm). video team mass-quit, including croshaw. they really lost the zero punctuation guy over awful corporate shenanigans. flagship series churned out since the aughts. self-own.

they still own zp, but i dunno what they think they're going to do with it.

i didn't find this on my own. linked in one of my circles.

e: mac's coworker

this is the same guy who hangs manga posters, right?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-11-15 12:56:28)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
No. The poster guy is cool with me. I help him a lot and look out. I got him a key chain from San Francisco with his on it like this.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bLQAAOSwcSlhkGwl/s-l1600.jpg
I bought like $100 worth of keychains to give away. So I gave one to the principal, the secretary, and three work friends. I am generous with my coworkers with gifts and supplies. Little things like that go a long way to winning people over.

So the fact that this one guy apparently dislikes me so much is bizarre since my MO is to be very nice and friendly. The kind of guy to bring you back a gift from his vacation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
Zero Punctuation! What a throwback. Remember Total Biscuit? He died in '18. The time between 2016 and 2020 feels like a lifetime ago. It feels hazy like a dream.

Also regarding Total Biscuit...this is why I do not suggest people "get cancer and die." TB got cancer and while the guy was on his death bed one YouTuber brought up his post telling people to get cancer.

This is also why I don't tell people "kill yourself." There may come a point where suicide is the way. I almost committed suicide by steak if you think about it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire

SuperJail Warden wrote:

No. The poster guy is cool with me. I help him a lot and look out. I got him a key chain from San Francisco with his on it like this.
[img]some bridge[/img]
I bought like $100 worth of keychains to give away. So I gave one to the principal, the secretary, and three work friends. I am generous with my coworkers with gifts and supplies. Little things like that go a long way to winning people over.

So the fact that this one guy apparently dislikes me so much is bizarre since my MO is to be very nice and friendly. The kind of guy to bring you back a gift from his vacation.
You sound like Dwight from The Office

Last edited by RTHKI (2023-11-15 14:35:43)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+640|3853
Yeah and you better watch out because someday I will be principal Dwight.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,737|6870|Oxferd Ohire
Assistant to the Regional Superintendent Mac
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Zero Punctuation! What a throwback. Remember Total Biscuit? He died in '18. The time between 2016 and 2020 feels like a lifetime ago. It feels hazy like a dream.
That was pretty sad.

Also regarding Total Biscuit...this is why I do not suggest people "get cancer and die." TB got cancer and while the guy was on his death bed one YouTuber brought up his post telling people to get cancer.

This is also why I don't tell people "kill yourself." There may come a point where suicide is the way. I almost committed suicide by steak if you think about it.
Mostly agree on not using any of those proto-culture trolls from the 2000s. Very teen angst, cod-typical stuff outside of way too specific interactions and circles. Telling someone to "kys, get cancer, die in a fire you autist," while it should obviously lack real teeth, can be throwing some very real lead around at people out of the loop. Text-only communication doesn't help much with context without a group of chortling nerds on voip. Probably part of what kept uzi on a watchlist here lol.

Apart from karmic retribution, telling someone to "get cancer" even in jest or throwback risks a very mean reminder of tragedy that'll only become more common in those age groups. "kys," makes things super-awkward when it strikes someone too close to home.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-11-15 22:01:26)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6905|PNW

The nice guy who dates office people in parallel, lol.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As someone who directly knew 3 people who killed themselves and at least  the same again indirectly I'm not going to give people shit - unless they really deserve it - some people actually do.

I get hassled at work for not giving my suppliers a hard time. I don't care, project deadlines are all artificial and if marketing and planning didn't do such a shit job engineering and manufacturing - and by extension contract manufacturers wouldn't be under endless pressure to 'make things happen'.

Its like crying wolf, its all fine until someone steps off a building or in front of a truck, only put people under pressure when something really has to be done, not relentlessly to deliver that monthly profit statement.

And if someone fucks up they fucked up, its usually not really the end of the world and 99% of the time its easily recoverable.
So some suit who does nothing only got 90% of his bonus. I don't care.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard