KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

By your logic christians are jesus sycophants.

Musk is the messiah and will save us all.
If someone has posters of and quotes by a person in their cubicle and complains about "stealerships" then yeah, I feel comfortable calling them a sycophant.

At least my sports heroes I mindlessly worship aren't actively making the world a shittier place.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

... and mm/dd/yyyy is a bad habit people shouldn't've been taught.
Fuck people for writing the date how people speak it, amirite?
"What was the date on that document you sent earlier this year?"
"One-slash-three."
Nobody speaks it like that. January 3, or 1st of March. If you're going to write it down, make sure there's no mistaking it so that people can read it, you know? It's beyond age. Interns in their 20s gripe about that stuff.
I sometimes refer to "3" as quarter dozen. I mean 3 to 4 whenever I say it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

By your logic christians are jesus sycophants.

Musk is the messiah and will save us all.
If someone has posters of and quotes by a person in their cubicle and complains about "stealerships" then yeah, I feel comfortable calling them a sycophant.

At least my sports heroes I mindlessly worship aren't actively making the world a shittier place.
That reminds me of something I saw from the 100 years ago subreddit.
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https% … k5mpb1.jpg

The guy talking about Edison sounds like how people talk about Elon today.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

... and mm/dd/yyyy is a bad habit people shouldn't've been taught.
Fuck people for writing the date how people speak it, amirite?
"What was the date on that document you sent earlier this year?"
"One-slash-three."
Nobody speaks it like that. January 3, or 1st of March. If you're going to write it down, make sure there's no mistaking it so that people can read it, you know? It's beyond age. Interns in their 20s gripe about that stuff.
The fuck are you talking about? No one says three-slash-one, either. People actually say 9/11, at least, on the other side. Sending dated documents internationally, I've always used unambiguous dating systems, but mm/dd/yyyy is a perfectly reasonable system, especially wholly within the US.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

What do you mean what am I talking about? I could count on one hand the number of times I've heard a date spoken that way. Usually people speak the name of the month, not the number. It solves itself. Post-WTC 9/11 is a bit of an outlier since the date is its own name. Professionally at least, I would avoid invoking it unless writing a newspaper headline or something.

When you write out a pair of numbers each 12 or below, there's ambiguity except in some cases where you have immediate context. They can be as little as about a month apart depending on how you read them. Extra aggravation during 2001-2012 from people who used yy. Mostly it resulted in emails for clarification, usually one email too many.

In most cases it's not like risking 300 million dollar spacecraft to a conversion error, but still: be clear. The order not only changes across international borders, but within the US, from person to person, and inconsistently message to message.

Autofill preset: dddd, mmmm d, yyyy
Filename prefix: yyyy mm dd
Food can cipher: 983621738212389614 in ink closely matching the background, that will only reveal itself after turning the product over a few times
Meanwhile, emails sorting like: eArLiEr ThiS YeAr
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
Take it to dst
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

That's for things like the upcoming Year 38 Problem and maybe what happened to dilbert's stocks as a result. This is junk drawer and the three threads in it that are basically one thread at this point.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America
No one says twenty-nine/nine or nine/twenty-nine. But people do say September 29, hence mm/dd.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2023-09-29 04:42:23)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Normal people say 29th of September.

I'm going to be away for a while, should be able to pick this up around 10:00 on 10/11
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Autofill preset: dddd, mmmm d, yyyy
Filename prefix: yyyy mm dd
Food can cipher: 983621738212389614 in ink closely matching the background, that will only reveal itself after turning the product over a few times
Meanwhile, emails sorting like: eArLiEr ThiS YeAr
No company I've worked for has thought to sort it out. Everyone does their own thing

Filename YYYYMMDD
YYYYMMDD Filename
YY_MM_DD Filename Edited by Bob
Filename_DD.MM.YY
Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS
Filename DD-MMM-YY

I am glad to be out of the 2000s and 2010s, if we can just make it through to the 2030s that will make everything a lot easier with YY having to start with a 3, but not perfect as it could still mean the 30th or 31st of the month
Except for historians - but fuck them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Butt fuck them?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

No one says twenty-nine/nine or nine/twenty-nine. But people do say September 29, hence mm/dd.
Bad habit imo. Some things that are fine in speech don't transcribe well to text, in this case when changed from a name to a number no matter the dialectal standard. It wouldn't be so bad if Americans consistently followed the rule of month-before-day in writing and it would be just another of the country's cute little (predictable) quirks, but it's a complete free-for-all even before international communication.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS
and the less-than-spectacular sequels:
Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS - Copy
1Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS - Copy (2)
Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS(2) - Copy (2) revised (use this version)
Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS(2) - Copy (2) revised (use this version) - Copy (2)
Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS(2) - Copy (2) revised (use this version) - Copy (2) fixed
and the most recent timestamp on file, created from 1: Filename YY THIS IS THE LATEST IGNORE THE OTHERS - Copy (2) - latest

pending a completely new write-up from scratch, covering the same ground twice because nobody can figure out what's what.

"fw:fw:re:fw:fw ignore the version i sent five minutes ago, that was an edit of the older file because the way jim wrote it i thought it was apr 3's but it was revised mar 4."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My secret workaround.

Keep one file, if you think you're about to fuck it up save a copy to an archive folder Filename YYYYMMDD

If you don't fuck it up delete the archive file, or dump it on your HD.

If someone fucks with your file delete all their versions just leaving your file.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well actually they are.

The amount of concrete poured to make mindless stadia is immense and immensely damaging.
Just the land taken up for the stadium and the parking to be used once a month for a few hours is ridiculous.

The amount of travel which goes on for sportsball fans to see their game is pretty insane.

The net benefit is zero, in every game one team wins one team loses - half the fans go away happy, the other sad - net gain zero.

https://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/4257571.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

dilbs wrote:

sportsball
Isn't that a dead word right now? I thought its last acceptable use was like in 2015.

Dilbert_X wrote:

My secret workaround.

Keep one file, if you think you're about to fuck it up save a copy to an archive folder Filename YYYYMMDD

If you don't fuck it up delete the archive file, or dump it on your HD.

If someone fucks with your file delete all their versions just leaving your file.
Every file I get over email gets its own dated prefix and some of the usual "metadata" in its suffix, then gets tossed into the most relevant folder I can think of, under a parent folder of the current year, NOT located in my documents to preempt possible attacks on that folder. At the end of the year, folders (and task subfolders) for important clients and contacts get moved to their own parent folders and renamed to that year. Everything else stays in the parent folder for that year, and a new parent folder is made for the next.

It's admittedly a bit Windows 95, but just storing all my files on the desktop is for olds and youngs. If you want to mess with someone, call folders "directories." It'll get the late-bloomer boomers and zoomers.

Remember TabWorks? Humanized GUI for Windows 3.x. Xerox, too. Legendary.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What really drive me nuts is when people fuck up filenames to add versions when the file is intended to use metadata for versioning.

eg CAD files, total retardation.

The moron who took over my last job decided to rename every single Solidworks file developed by two engineers over ~5 years.
Literally no conceivable point, not only did it fuck up all the file linkages the filenames were referenced in SAP, work instructions and other places so either they no longer made sense or they would have to be redone.
Complete moron.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well actually they are.

The amount of concrete poured to make mindless stadia is immense and immensely damaging.
Just the land taken up for the stadium and the parking to be used once a month for a few hours is ridiculous.

The amount of travel which goes on for sportsball fans to see their game is pretty insane.

The net benefit is zero, in every game one team wins one team loses - half the fans go away happy, the other sad - net gain zero.

https://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/4257571.jpg
What if the winning team has more fans than the losing team? Then it's a net emotional gain, right?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

What really drive me nuts is when people fuck up filenames to add versions when the file is intended to use metadata for versioning.

eg CAD files, total retardation.

The moron who took over my last job decided to rename every single Solidworks file developed by two engineers over ~5 years.
Literally no conceivable point, not only did it fuck up all the file linkages the filenames were referenced in SAP, work instructions and other places so either they no longer made sense or they would have to be redone.
Complete moron.
Yeah, don't mess around with filenames of network-shared files or on other PCs for that reason. Fair game though when it's on my computer as a discrete entry; it's mine to bring back to sanity before it goes out again.

Bold to assume a lot of people have a clue about integrated metadata systems though. Imagine being passed a file last edited by someone's internet handle and having to puzzle out who.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

What if the winning team has more fans than the losing team? Then it's a net emotional gain, right?
Hollywood has taught me it's always best when the underdogs win.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I am in my classroom for 5 periods. The other 3 periods the room is occupied by this friendly 2nd year teacher who has poor judgement. He got written up once last year. They pulled him into a meeting this year about some of the materials he uses in class that I agree with admin isn't appropriate. I don't think he is going to get renewed.

He asked me today if he can put an Alice in Wonderland poster outside of (my) classroom. I had to tell him "I want the room entrance to be discreet." It had this text a little modified and looked like something I would see in a dorm room.
https://static.displate.com/857x1200/displate/2023-05-06/6d5f5dae727d5d2ae1b781277a3857c8_29ec9b8881c2f5cf08e4b7535eb30c97.jpg

I don't want an admin to walk past my room and see that shit. I am the best people. I am not crazy.

And I wrong for not wanting that outside my room?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Every day there's something.

Need to render down a 500mb video to stick it on a server, should take two minutes.

"Video Editor has been removed, please upgrade to ClipChamp"
"Click here to download"
"ClipChamp download blocked by IT security policy"
"Please create a ticket and we'll help you download some third party app you've never heard of, it'll be safer than the default MS one"
"Renders slower after you've picked from 200+ video formats"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I have to return some video tapes

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2023-10-06 09:24:46)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
We're leaving our doc control system after 6 months. Going back to old system until the new new one is ready.

Having quality be the only ones involved in the initial search went as well as expected lmao
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

He asked me today if he can put an Alice in Wonderland poster outside of (my) classroom.
Would it be gauche to point out Carroll's possibly questionable attractions?

Not that I think it should extend to canceling literary works (things done with context and footnotes; we'd never be done combing through every author's personal characters and haggling over ban lists otherwise), but maybe an Alice poster would be weird put up by a classroom. Would the surviving branches of the Liddell family be comfortable with a Carroll poster outside their children's classroom? What about the Dodgsons?

(Not that people should let that distract them from the Living Threat of gym coaches and school resource officers. One was arrested in Arkansas, I think it was. One of the victims was his ward, who went to the school he worked at.)

Seems like an unrelated decoration for a history classroom, anyway. But then, there's lots of weirdness in history.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I briefly looked up the author from Alice in Wonderland...yikes. Yeah, I will in fact cancel that author.

The teacher mentioned he got in trouble for giving a student an inappropriate book last year. This year he got pulled into a meeting because a parent didn't like the furry manga he was using in class. "The anime is suggestive so I didn't use it. I just used the manga instead."

He also put up a poster for a female Star Wars character and this weird poster of a child sitting on a giant mushroom.

All very weird in hindsight. 🧐

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard