eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
funnier, baby boomers are THE entitlement generation.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Ilocano wrote:

Funny.  I read the article as entitlement youth expecting something now from long term retirement plans.
What? The guy that wrote the article writes fairly often on the subject and his solution is to institute means testing before benefits are paid out. Old people have much more in assets than the younger people they currently draw tax dollars from, and therefor it is effectively generational theft.

Before AussieReaper comes in here and starts ranting about me wanting old people to starve in the streets or something, no one is advocating the complete destruction of Medicare and Social Security, just to scale them back so that they cover people who actually need the help rather than everyone with a pulse over the age of 65.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Personally, I hate this line of thought from Hillary Clinton:
“Were it not for Social Security, many of us would be supporting our parents. We would take them in; we would do what we needed to do to try to provide the resources they required to stay above poverty, to live as comfortably as we could afford. And that would cause a lot of difficult decisions in our lives, wouldn’t it?”

I think we've lost something by dumping our parents in retirement homes. Instead of reverence for elders as sources of wisdom and knowledge, we treat them as yucky things to be tolerated on holidays

Last edited by Jay (2012-07-23 13:45:12)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

No.  You pay into it.  You should get back the expected returns of what you paid into it.  Income level when taking out benefits is irrelevant. 

Like, if you are a millionaire at retirement, should you still get your 401K?

As for your second post, nah, that's your culture.  Have you visited any Asian retirement homes?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

No.  You pay into it.  You should get back the expected returns of what you paid into it.  Income level when taking out benefits is irrelevant. 

As for your second post, nah, that's your culture.  Have you visited any Asian retirement homes?
You pay into Medicaid, are you clamoring for coverage by that system? There's plenty of things you pay into that you receive no tangible benefit from.
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

So, are you going to decline your 401k?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
That's completely separate and irrelevant and you know it.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom

Ilocano wrote:

how have you not been pegged a racist with all your "azians r superior" comments.
Tu Stultus Es
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Ilocano wrote:

Check the article. Older people have paid into it and are getting upwards of 10 times the amount back. Younger people are paying into it and only getting 80% back, and the rate is decreasing quickly.

Old folks want the checks to keep coming, whether they need it or not. Young folks just want to get what they paid for. And somehow it's the youngsters that are entitled?

Last edited by mtb0minime (2012-07-23 13:54:24)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
its not like ilocano is a babyboomer unless hes about to hit 50
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

mtb0minime wrote:

Check the article. Older people have paid into it and are getting upwards of 10 times the amount back.
When you don't adjust for inflation.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

eleven bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

how have you not been pegged a racist with all your "azians r superior" comments.
Jay started the lumping.

"I think we've lost something by dumping our parents in retirement homes. Instead of reverence for elders as sources of wisdom and knowledge, we treat them as yucky things to be tolerated on holidays."
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

Macbeth wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Check the article. Older people have paid into it and are getting upwards of 10 times the amount back.
This.  How long have the younger generation been putting money into the system?  I damn well should expect more after putting into the bucket for 40+ years, versus someone just starting in the workplace.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Jay started the lumping.

"I think we've lost something by dumping our parents in retirement homes. Instead of reverence for elders as sources of wisdom and knowledge, we treat them as yucky things to be tolerated on holidays."
And it had what to do with asians exactly? Did I call out any specific race?
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Jay started the lumping.

And it had what to do with asians exactly? Did I call out any specific race?
keiro.org
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

This.  How long have the younger generation been putting money into the system?  I damn well should expect more after putting into the bucket for 40+ years, versus someone just starting in the workplace.
Inflation doesn't have anything to do with it. Older people are expected to make more money. They've had more time to climb up the corporate ladder. That wasn't the point of the article. The point was that there are a ton of people about to collect, and already collecting, social security and medicare benefits that they don't actually need. Does the prospect of an extra $1200 a month make you salivate or something? That wouldn't even pay my rent for my current apartment. "It's mine, I earned it" doesn't fly since most people take out of the system more than they ever put into it. It should be a program for those who actually need it to survive, not people with multi-million dollar investment portfolios living off of the interest.
-Frederick Bastiat
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

It's not "old person puts $500000 in and gets $500000 back, meanwhile young person puts $50000 in and gets $50000 back".

It's "old person puts $50000 in and gets $500000 back, meanwhile young person puts in $50000 and gets $40000 back".
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

mtb0minime wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

It's not "old person puts $500000 in and gets $500000 back, meanwhile young person puts $50000 in and gets $50000 back".

It's "old person puts $50000 in and gets $500000 back, meanwhile young person puts in $50000 and gets $40000 back".
No.  Old person puts in $50K, gets $500K (out of the hat number) compounded.  Young person after five years at $5K, gets $40K.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

Ilocano wrote:

No.  You pay into it.  You should get back the expected returns of what you paid into it.
Its always been a ponzi/insurance scheme - boomers demanding back what they paid in are scammers - most of them are in fact demanding lifelong benefits they haven't paid in enough to fund if it were a hypothecated scheme.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Was looking at the voter demographics for the 2016 election. Found something funny.

https://i.imgur.com/1IYtcTr.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St … mographics

The young overwhelmingly voted Clinton, and Boomers Trump. It is just like Brexit.

Baby boomers are from Washington to Wales seem determined to fuck up as much as they can before they die. They really are the worst generation.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Was looking at the voter demographics for the 2016 election. Found something funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St … mographics

The young overwhelmingly voted Clinton, and Boomers Trump. It is just like Brexit.

Baby boomers are from Washington to Wales seem determined to fuck up as much as they can before they die. They really are the worst generation.
Older people always vote for the conservative candidate. News at 11!
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
It is still interesting that there is a broad rejection of Trumpism among the largest demographic in the U.S. Older Trump supporters often talk about "securing their grandchildren's future" yet their grandchildren really don't want the sort of changes that the GOP and Trump promise.

Republicans are the strongest they have been since 1928 but unless they manage to do spectacular work the next few years, I don't think it will be sustainable.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

was born in '65. just missed being a boomer, demographically.
My thought is "Get off my lawn" if the topic is Make me hate baby boomers, and we did have help with different generations fucking this country over.

need proof? election after election the cry is 'throw the bums out!' yet prarie league pissants vote their incumbents in, pigs wallow at the trough and nothing changes for the better.

Why? WHY!? people want you to throw your bum out but are content to vote for their own, God forbid you vote against THE party, here let me vote a straight ticket (pun intended) and let's bitch and moan about the same ol' same ol'.

there hasn't been an honest election in this country since the Articles of Confederation were adopted, and we wouldn't even have those if Britain wasn't losing trade routes across the globe in the eighteenth century, needed to apply their hegemony elsewhere.

At least be honest with your click bait D&ST topics, for fucks sake
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Look at the numbers though. 56/35. 45/53.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Look at the numbers though. 56/35. 45/53.
These numbers are even crazier
https://i.imgur.com/YIatSaW.png

Evangelicals continue to be obnoxious and stupid. No wonder the coast remained blue. The Catholics didn't go full retard.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard