unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Jay wrote:

There's no inquisition anymore, you're free to believe what you want.
There is in the scientific community. Feel free to be drummed out of it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
so i heard mitt romney lost
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

Obama is nothing without his teleprompter.

And I'm not calling facts into dispute. Yes, the Creationist timeline is wildly wrong. I'm not disagreeing. Ignoring facts does make you stupid, yes. Gravity is fact. Evolution is fact. But the reason those systems are in place is not fact, but opinion. Calling people stupid because they have a different interpretation is what I take issue with. That's all I meant to say.
And I'm sure Lincoln had a piece of paper in his hands when he made the Gettysburg address.

I really don't understand the semantic games you're trying to play here. If something is fact, then how can you take different interpretations of the base fact? What sort of interpretations turn "the Earth is 4.5gya" to "the Earth was created in 4004BC"?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Does it really make any difference if he believes the earth is 10,000 or 100,000,000,000 years old? Does it make him better or worse at his job? No. They're his beliefs, and he's not hurting anyone else by holding them.
Yes it does, it goes to evidence of his judgement.

If someone looks at the available evidence on an issue, and picks the least plausible explanation, then I don't want them in office making judgements and policy on issues which might affect the real world, especially me.

This is why I wouldn't want a creationist, mormon or any any other kind of one-eyed fruitcake in govt. If their objectivity and judgement is poor on things which are important to them what is it going to be like on subjects which aren't?
Do we really have any proof that the planet is millions of years old? No, no humans were around to record events. We take it on faith that the theories we arrived at to explain Earth's origins are true. By the same token, a creationist takes it on faith that a deity formed the Earth, planted dinosaur bones, put oil in the ground etc. I find the former to be infinitely more plausible, but I recognize that to a certain extent I had to take a leap of faith to believe that.
No leaps of faith are involved at all, there's evidence and argument - religion is faith only, no evidence and you're not allowed to argue.
Or you can go down the 'magnetism - you can't explain it - therefore I have an invisible alien worm in my head' track, take your pick.

"But one person's 'faith' is as valid as anyone elses"
Nope. Go argue with a vapour trail conspiracy theorist if you need convincing.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-11-21 02:57:13)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

Spark wrote:

Jay wrote:

Obama is nothing without his teleprompter.

And I'm not calling facts into dispute. Yes, the Creationist timeline is wildly wrong. I'm not disagreeing. Ignoring facts does make you stupid, yes. Gravity is fact. Evolution is fact. But the reason those systems are in place is not fact, but opinion. Calling people stupid because they have a different interpretation is what I take issue with. That's all I meant to say.
And I'm sure Lincoln had a piece of paper in his hands when he made the Gettysburg address.

I really don't understand the semantic games you're trying to play here. If something is fact, then how can you take different interpretations of the base fact? What sort of interpretations turn "the Earth is 4.5gya" to "the Earth was created in 4004BC"?
Obama is boring and formulaic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Jay wrote:

Obama is boring and formulaic.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

Cybargs wrote:

so i heard mitt romney lost
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

This is why I wouldn't want a creationist, mormon or any any other kind of one-eyed fruitcake in govt. If their objectivity and judgement is poor on things which are important to them what is it going to be like on subjects which aren't?
I bet Lincoln was a creationist. Really fucked up his world view, didn't it? Made horrible decisions.

Your linkage of the two things is not even tenuous. There are far too many examples of it not being true to make it even worth considering. You just don't like people who have strong faith and/or views that differ from yours. THOSE are the ones you don't want in government. And that's OK--just don't try to explain it away by saying they have "poor judgment" because of their religious beliefs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Comparing Lincoln to today's modern Republicans?

Ha.

Republicans sure are the party of "Free the slaves."

Just ask the evil Muslim Kenyan Obama.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6410|'Murka

Where did I compare Lincoln to today's Republicans?

Oh that's right...I didn't.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

FEOS wrote:

Where did I compare Lincoln to today's Republicans?

Oh that's right...I didn't.
" Ibet Lincoln was a creationist. Really fucked up his world view, didn't it? Made horrible decisions."
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

we should close the thread now, amirite? even the mods don't remember what they're posting . . .
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida

13urnzz wrote:

we should close the thread now, amirite? even the mods don't remember what they're posting . . .
lol

THIS THREAD WILL NEVER DIE
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Who reopened this?!
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

Macbeth wrote:

Who reopened this?!
someone with a worse case of Alzhiemers than me.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6658|BC, Canada
hacks!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Communist Party bosses had seen the June 7-8 Sunnylands summit as a golden opportunity to deploy Peng Liyuan’s much-vaunted charms on the world stage in a bid to spin a more favourable image of China’s leaders.

But on Tuesday Mrs Obama’s office told the New York Times the first lady would remain in Washington with her daughters who are coming to the end of their academic year.

Mrs Obama’s absence is likely to limit her Chinese counterpart’s role at the two-day California meeting, which begins on Friday, and may be interpreted as a snub, analysts said.

Zhang Ming, a political scientist from China’s Renmin University, predicted Mrs Obama’s absence would “not go down very well” in Beijing.

“First lady diplomacy is also very important and the US side has failed to cooperate,” he said. “According to normal diplomatic etiquette this is very strange. It shouldn’t be like this.”
Maybe Romney should have won so we wouldn't have this uppity bitch in the white house
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
romney's wife was too interested in building fancy car-lifts for their ferraris and renovating beach-front properties.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
obama has hurt the feelings of 1.3 billion chinese people. she must apologize.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
why would she need to be there for the end of school?
why is school still going for them?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida

RTHKI wrote:

I might be wrong but I think a lot of the prep schools might get out in June and start in September.  I learned that from Harry Potter.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
you learned that from harry potter because all british schools get out in june and go back in september.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

RTHKI wrote:

When did your school end? School doesn't let out in New York until the end of June.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
end last week or this week

Last edited by RTHKI (2013-06-06 16:06:07)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5698
rthki goes to college jay.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard