FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Taken out of context this looks pretty bad too

He didn't say that, either.

FFS, can you people not bother to actually read the transcripts of what was actually said?

Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking in the federal budget, what we should cut — we should ask ourselves the opposite question. What should we keep? We should take all of what we’re doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we’re doing that we don’t have to do? And those things we’ve got to stop doing, because we’re borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we’re taking in. We cannot…

KING: Including disaster relief, though?

ROMNEY: We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.
-----------------------
Gov. Romney believes that states should be in charge of emergency management in responding to storms and other natural disasters in their jurisdictions. As the first responders, states are in the best position to aid affected individuals and communities, and to direct resources and assistance to where they are needed most. This includes help from the federal government and FEMA.
He clearly said it should be something the states should do, not the federal government. He never said it shouldn't be done. He didn't even say "we can't afford disaster relief." He was talking about spending money we don't have, regardless of the reason--a bigger picture issue, not specific to disaster relief.

Context.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6743|St. Andrews / Oslo

FEOS wrote:

Ty wrote:

FEOS wrote:

He was talking about election strategy and where he and his team needed to focus their efforts. The 47% were the ones he was never going to sway in the election...which is exactly what he said. He never said he was "writing them off" from a governance perspective. But that didn't stop knuckleheads from running with that "context" which was not the context of the statement. Hence "out of context."

He said he was wrong because that was the only thing that was going to get the hounds off his back. He explained clearly what the true context was, and that was ignored, because it was more fun to keep pushing the "he doesn't care about po' people" line, and that particular spin put it right in that vein.

But let's not try to be objective and apply the same rules to both sides. That would just expose too much hypocrisy.

Mitt Romney wrote:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
I like doing this. I don't have to argue anything, Mitt speaks for himself.
The polls were showing 47% "definitely" for Obama at the time. That is what he was referring to. He never said he wouldn't work for them if elected, which is what all you knuckleheads here have been saying he said. He never said that. Anywhere. Anytime.

So yes...it DOES speak for itself. It totally eliminates the argument that "Romney doesn't care about 47% of America."

If you would, please point out where he says that. Please point out where my argument is invalid.

Oh that's right. You can't.

Let me know when you guys are ready for your next lesson.
"there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it (...)  I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

If, as you say, these 47% he refers to are the people who would definitely vote for Obama, then he's essentially saying that anyone voting for Obama does not and will not "take personal responsibility and care for their lives", that everyone who said they'd "definitely vote for Obama" "pay no income tax", are "dependent upon government" and "believe they are victims". Yeah, okay.

Seriously, I cannot see how this as anything but Romney trying to convince donors to back him by using their anger against 'government scroungers'...

Last edited by Jenspm (2012-10-30 11:30:19)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Taken out of context this looks pretty bad too

He didn't say that, either.

FFS, can you people not bother to actually read the transcripts of what was actually said?

Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better. Instead of thinking in the federal budget, what we should cut — we should ask ourselves the opposite question. What should we keep? We should take all of what we’re doing at the federal level and say, what are the things we’re doing that we don’t have to do? And those things we’ve got to stop doing, because we’re borrowing $1.6 trillion more this year than we’re taking in. We cannot…

KING: Including disaster relief, though?

ROMNEY: We cannot — we cannot afford to do those things without jeopardizing the future for our kids. It is simply immoral, in my view, for us to continue to rack up larger and larger debts and pass them on to our kids, knowing full well that we’ll all be dead and gone before it’s paid off. It makes no sense at all.
-----------------------
Gov. Romney believes that states should be in charge of emergency management in responding to storms and other natural disasters in their jurisdictions. As the first responders, states are in the best position to aid affected individuals and communities, and to direct resources and assistance to where they are needed most. This includes help from the federal government and FEMA.
He clearly said it should be something the states should do, not the federal government. He never said it shouldn't be done. He didn't even say "we can't afford disaster relief." He was talking about spending money we don't have, regardless of the reason--a bigger picture issue, not specific to disaster relief.

Context.
Yes - as I said, when taken out of context it looks pretty bad.

But what an idiot to suggest disaster relief shouldn't be handled at a national level also. Especially when a disaster hits multiple states.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5189|Sydney
Most people don't feel the need to apologise for something they said that is later taken out of context. Indeed, they defend the statement with further clarfication. Which is not what Romney did.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6785|Noizyland

FEOS wrote:

Ty wrote:

FEOS wrote:

He was talking about election strategy and where he and his team needed to focus their efforts. The 47% were the ones he was never going to sway in the election...which is exactly what he said. He never said he was "writing them off" from a governance perspective. But that didn't stop knuckleheads from running with that "context" which was not the context of the statement. Hence "out of context."

He said he was wrong because that was the only thing that was going to get the hounds off his back. He explained clearly what the true context was, and that was ignored, because it was more fun to keep pushing the "he doesn't care about po' people" line, and that particular spin put it right in that vein.

But let's not try to be objective and apply the same rules to both sides. That would just expose too much hypocrisy.

Mitt Romney wrote:

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."
The polls were showing 47% "definitely" for Obama at the time. That is what he was referring to. He never said he wouldn't work for them if elected, which is what all you knuckleheads here have been saying he said. He never said that. Anywhere. Anytime.

So yes...it DOES speak for itself. It totally eliminates the argument that "Romney doesn't care about 47% of America."

If you would, please point out where he says that. Please point out where my argument is invalid.

No doubt Romney is talking about campaign strategy here and highlighting the political realities of America - there is a large section on both sides who will vote one way no matter what. I don't dispute that. But Romney didn't just say that. He called this 47% - the entire 47% - government-dependent useless scrounging victims who accept no responsibility and pay no income tax.

I don't know what you've been reading but speaking as one of the knuckleheads I know that I have never said these comments meant he would not govern for this 47% if elected. Of course he would, he'd have no choice. But that isn't the point. The point is that here he is sharing his opinion. He gets that a large proportion will never vote for him, that much is true. The issue here is why Romney thinks they will never vote for him. And according to Romney it wasn't because of differing political ideologies or Hell, the belief that Obama would do a better job than him, it was because they're human garbage. That's not being taken out of context, that is context.

Your argument is "Here's what he meant to say". What I'm saying is "Here's what he said." And what Romney's saying is "Hey, I was wrong to say this." So I'm honestly not sure why you're even bothering trying to justify this.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

Prediction: Romney will win the election. He will win the popular vote too. Due to the storm people will theorize that Obama would have won the popular vote but have lost the election just like 2000.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX
MITT Romney's wife pushed him to run for the US presidency after his first attempt in 2008, according to a newly released audio tape.
The Republican contender confirmed to wealthy private donors in California that his wife, Ann, insisted he enter the race a second time because a "grown-up" was needed in the White House.

Mr Romney's comments come from a secretly taped audio recording in March released yesterday by Mother Jones. The left-leaning US magazine was also behind the release of a secret video recording last month that damaged Mr Romney's campaign when he was seen telling wealthy donors in May that 47 per cent of Americans were government dependents who paid no tax.

Ann Romney was previously reported to have told her husband she did not want him to run again after he lost the Republican presidential nomination to John McCain in 2008, but in the audio tape, Mr Romney is heard telling his California fundraiser host a different story: "David, you mentioned Ann, and the fact that she insisted that I get in this race. That is the truth.

"I wanted to talk it over with her. And every time I'd say, 'Let's talk about the pros and cons', she'd say, 'Talk to the hand, talk to the hand. We're just doing this. We've got to do it.' And so she absolutely insisted that I get in this because she was convinced that I was the only one that had the capacity to beat President Obama."

Mrs Romney, who attended the campaign event, then pans Mr Obama's presidency.

"The ship's going over the waterfall, it's almost there. And we look what's happening in Greece, and we look what's happening around the world, we look what's happening internationally. This is a frightening world, and we need a grown-up, and we need someone that understands the economy."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo … 6506962859

Thank you Mrs Rmoney.....

Business-people don't necessarily understand the economy, just the fraction which interests them.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-10-31 05:38:22)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6233|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

MITT Romney's wife pushed him to run for the US presidency after his first attempt in 2008, according to a newly released audio tape.
The Republican contender confirmed to wealthy private donors in California that his wife, Ann, insisted he enter the race a second time because a "grown-up" was needed in the White House.

Mr Romney's comments come from a secretly taped audio recording in March released yesterday by Mother Jones. The left-leaning US magazine was also behind the release of a secret video recording last month that damaged Mr Romney's campaign when he was seen telling wealthy donors in May that 47 per cent of Americans were government dependents who paid no tax.

Ann Romney was previously reported to have told her husband she did not want him to run again after he lost the Republican presidential nomination to John McCain in 2008, but in the audio tape, Mr Romney is heard telling his California fundraiser host a different story: "David, you mentioned Ann, and the fact that she insisted that I get in this race. That is the truth.

"I wanted to talk it over with her. And every time I'd say, 'Let's talk about the pros and cons', she'd say, 'Talk to the hand, talk to the hand. We're just doing this. We've got to do it.' And so she absolutely insisted that I get in this because she was convinced that I was the only one that had the capacity to beat President Obama."

Mrs Romney, who attended the campaign event, then pans Mr Obama's presidency.

"The ship's going over the waterfall, it's almost there. And we look what's happening in Greece, and we look what's happening around the world, we look what's happening internationally. This is a frightening world, and we need a grown-up, and we need someone that understands the economy."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo … 6506962859

Thank you Mrs Rmoney.....

Business-people don't necessarily understand the economy, just the fraction which interests them.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/28748/manchurian.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Ty wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ty wrote:

No doubt Romney is talking about campaign strategy here and highlighting the political realities of America - there is a large section on both sides who will vote one way no matter what. I don't dispute that. But Romney didn't just say that. He called this 47% - the entire 47% - government-dependent useless scrounging victims who accept no responsibility and pay no income tax.

I don't know what you've been reading but speaking as one of the knuckleheads I know that I have never said these comments meant he would not govern for this 47% if elected. Of course he would, he'd have no choice. But that isn't the point. The point is that here he is sharing his opinion. He gets that a large proportion will never vote for him, that much is true. The issue here is why Romney thinks they will never vote for him. And according to Romney it wasn't because of differing political ideologies or Hell, the belief that Obama would do a better job than him, it was because they're human garbage. That's not being taken out of context, that is context.

Your argument is "Here's what he meant to say". What I'm saying is "Here's what he said." And what Romney's saying is "Hey, I was wrong to say this." So I'm honestly not sure why you're even bothering trying to justify this.
I'm not justifying the entirety of his comments. On the whole, they were wrong, and he was 100% correct to apologize for them.

What I was referring to was the fact that, here in the States, the focus has been on the 47% figure and the spin from the Obama campaign (and surrogates like MSNBC and others) is that "Romney said he's writing off 47% of the country / Romney said he doesn't care about 47% of the country / etc." That's what I was talking about when I said the "47%" was taken out of context and spun to mean something Romney never said. And people here and in the US are buying it, lock, stock, and barrel...even though it's crystal clear that's not what he said--or even meant.

And you're spinning it just as hard. See the highlighted part...followed by your assertion that that isn't "being taken out of context, that is context" --when it's not; it simply isn't. He never said or implied those people were lesser beings (or even "human garbage" and "useless scrounging victims" as you assert). I repeat: He did not say that, nor did he characterize those people in that way. He incorrectly described why those 47% don't pay taxes. And he apologized for that. Which apparently isn't good enough. But simply apologizing or laughing off gaffs by the Obama administration is perfectly OK. That's called "hypocrisy."
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6785|Noizyland

Romney called these people dependent, he called them self-designated victims, he said they refuse to take responsibility, he said they were self-entitled - to such trivialities as food and a roof over their heads - and on top of that they don't pay income tax. While 'human garbage' is my words not his, please tell me that's not painting this 47% as a group of useless scrounging victims. Romney said the words, it's not hypocrisy to point out that it reflects a very poor opinion towards this 47%, regardless if it means as the Obama side is saying "Romney's writing off 47% of the country" or if it's just "Romney doesn't regard Democrat voters very highly."

See we agree that Romney was wrong and he was right to apologise. Believe me, I am taking this on face value. I'm clarifying what he said, not analysing it to determine what it means.

But look, this is probably the most disconnected man who has ever run for president. That's all I think the 47% comments reflect, not anything to do with policy, just another example of Mitt's strange two-dimensional outlook on society. Earlier on in his campaign he joked around with people who are actually unemployed, struggling to find work and struggling to make ends met and he cracked "I'm also unemployed." Yeah Mitt, you really know what it's like brother. He referred to the middle class as "those who earn between $200,000 to $250,000 a year", (ahh, no,) later qualifying this by saying he meant total household income, (still no - try about a quarter of that.) He was at some Republican back-slapping function as some garish rich person's house and commented "A Democrat would say no-one should live like this, a Republican would say everyone should live like this". Please Mitt, tell us how you're going to run the US so a teacher can afford a mansion with its own golf course. His rhetoric doesn't acknowledge that most people aren't ruthless businessmen or entrepreneurs, they just have jobs. They don't want mansions, they want financial security and independence. The 47% thing is not anything vitriolic from Mitt. I think he's a nice guy who really believes that his ideology is what will benefit the most people. But no amount of appearances in his tie-less casual-shirt-and-jeans combo is going to change the fact that he doesn't know very much about regular life in America.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6678

Ty wrote:

Yeah Mitt, you really know what it's like brother. He referred to the middle class as "those who earn between $200,000 to $250,000 a year", (ahh, no,) later qualifying this by saying he meant total household income, (still no - try about a quarter of that.)
In places like Tennessee, yeah, that is living the high life in a mansion on acreages of land.  But in places like Cali and New York, that is middle class.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5368|London, England
Yeah, really. I pay $18k a year in rent alone. If I bought a rather small house I would be paying twice that. Can't live on $50-60k a year here.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5554|Toronto
Population of all of California: 37,691,912
Population of all of New York State: 19,465,197
Population of United States: 311,591,917

So, Mitt was actually speaking of the situation for roughly 18% of the American population? And that's if we're generous and assume that absolutely all of New York and California require $200,000+ to qualify for middle class status (highly, highly doubtful).

Even if this is the case, what does speaking about 18% of the population's conception of the middle class in states which usually don't clinch elections actually achieve? He must be 10 steps ahead of everyone else. A genius for the future to decipher.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

So, Mitt was actually speaking of the situation for roughly 18% of the American population? And that's if we're generous and assume that absolutely all of New York and California require $200,000+ to qualify for middle class status (highly, highly doubtful).

Even if this is the case, what does speaking about 18% of the population's conception of the middle class in states which usually don't clinch elections actually achieve? He must be 10 steps ahead of everyone else. A genius for the future to decipher.
Not just California and New York. Add in New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Washington State, Maryland, Northern Virginia, Washington DC, and Illinois.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Federal income tax rates should be adjusted for cost of living.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

Um if you're taking home $200k in cali you're doing well, even if you're living in Marin. I think middle class would be starting at a combined income of ~$100k, but like you said it obviously varies by region.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5554|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Not just California and New York. Add in New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Washington State, Maryland, Northern Virginia, Washington DC, and Illinois.
Yeah, I guess I can take back the generous allowances in my calculations to account for a few more cities where this might be the case, but I'm certainly not going to believe the number is above 20% of the American population.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

Jay wrote:

Why? Salaries usually already are adjusted.don't like it? Move!  That's usually your libertarian states rights argument. At the least you should be consistent or recognize the fallacy of that argument.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Yeah, I guess I can take back the generous allowances in my calculations to account for a few more cities where this might be the case, but I'm certainly not going to believe the number is above 20% of the American population.
NYC metropolitan area is 22.2M
Greater Los Angeles is 12.9M
DC metro area is 8.6M
Chicago metro is 9.8M
SF metro is 7.2M
Seattle metro is 3.5M
Greater Boston is 4.5M

Just those alone equal out to 68.7M or 22%...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why? Salaries usually already are adjusted.don't like it? Move!  That's usually your libertarian states rights argument. At the least you should be consistent or recognize the fallacy of that argument.
How is it a states rights argument when it's a federal problem? Yes, our salaries are adjusted for the cost of living, but we pay a higher percentage of our income to the feds than people in lower cost of living places do. If I lived in Florida and made an equivalent income adjusted for cost of living I would pay 3% less to the feds.
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5554|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

DC metro area is 8.6M
Chicago metro is 9.8M
SF metro is 7.2M
Seattle metro is 3.5M
Greater Boston is 4.5M

Yeah, not buying. If NYC was set as the highest (and it is by a massive margin), I'm not about to accept that many of those cities fall into the ridiculous requirements for middle class status offered here.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

How is it a states rights argument when it's a federal problem? Yes, our salaries are adjusted for the cost of living, but we pay a higher percentage of our income to the feds than people in lower cost of living places do. If I lived in Florida and made an equivalent income adjusted for cost of living I would pay 3% less to the feds.
then move to florida. Ill gladly pay whatever extra tax by being in a higher bracket so I don't have to live in kentucky. You are in control of where you work.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

then move to florida.
I can't. Engineering licenses don't reciprocate.

Why you're ok with paying a higher federal income tax rate is beyond me.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

DC metro area is 8.6M
Chicago metro is 9.8M
SF metro is 7.2M
Seattle metro is 3.5M
Greater Boston is 4.5M

Yeah, not buying. If NYC was set as the highest (and it is by a massive margin), I'm not about to accept that many of those cities fall into the ridiculous requirements for middle class status offered here.
Ok. 40% of my paycheck goes towards social security, medicare, income taxes. I pay federal income tax, state income tax, and city income tax. On top of that I pay 8.875% in sales tax every time I buy something. I pay property taxes via my rent. So let's say I make a combined income with my wife of exactly $200k a year, 80k of that goes out automatically towards direct taxation. That leaves me with $120k. If I bought a house tomorrow my mortgage payment would be $3000/mo or $36,000 a year. Now I'm down to $84k. I pay $200/mo for cell phone service, $200/mo for cable/internet, $200/mo for utilities, $400/mo for the car payment, $200/mo for insurance, $400/mo for my train ticket, $500/mo for food. So there's another $25,200, now I'm down to $58.8k. Add in clothes, the cost of kids, a decent vacation, medical bills etc and that remainder goes quickly. You're not struggling when you're making $200k a year, but you're not rich by any stretch of the imagination.

FYI, that $3k mortgage payment is on a modest $500k home here. You're looking at a middling school district and maybe a 'ranch' home with three bedrooms.

Last edited by Jay (2012-10-31 17:24:29)

-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

Like I said, combined earnings of $100K is middle class in the majority of the US should be good. Certainly $200K/year is above the bare minimum for middle class, but not necessarily in the top 1%

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard