KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Jay wrote:

I'm saying that we're subsidizing Canadian health care by doing the research for them.
and we (the US government) are subsidizing the pharma companies for their research.  So we should be getting something back from them for our monetary support.  Say, decreased prescription costs to help lower our medical insurance?

seems like you're saying we are subsidizing Canadian health care (and it shows by their decreased costs), but in our system, we don't see those same savings (because our insurance is far more expensive).
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
if you knew how much money is wasted by these biomed companies you would delete all your posts saying the private sector is better in this regard.  the same job title i have right now will have a salary of about 30-40K a year working for the government.  right now the job title i have now on average probably clears about 50K to 60K a year in most private companies.
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

What is your job?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
not to mention the unbelieveable amount of money some of these companies are willing to throw around.  like paying for 1st class tickets and 5 star hotels when that shit is really not necessary.
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
in his industry he's known as a "fluffer", and he makes some good points

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-07-10 09:38:40)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

Macbeth wrote:

What is your job?
clinical research assistant/associate working part time for my mom who is a senior CRA.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
and she also owns her consultancy firm so I know what the fuck im talking about
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England
I just don't understand why people think expanding the governments role in any business sector is a good solution. We all hate taxes, we all hate politicians, we all hate bureaucrats, we hate standing in line, and yet people think the government will swoop in and save the day. Are the military, the TSA, the VA or any of the thousand other bureaucracies efficient or cheaper than their private equivalents? Any time taxpayer money is involved there will be massive corruption and overbilling. It's a given. It's not the bureaucrats money so they have no incentive to keep costs down. It's no different from public sector unions bankrolling the political campaigns of the guy that's supposed to fight them over their next contract. It doesn't work. What we'll get is hospitals and doctors unions and pharma companies continuously going to Congress and asking for increases in their payment rates (this happens now already with Medicaid and Medicare). Are those politicians going to say no? Of course not.

I'm not opposed to paying taxes on some philosophical level, I understand that roads need to be built and schools need to be maintained etc. But I despise government expansion because it means that more people get to fuck around with money that isn't theirs. Look at the difference between a small company operating on a shoestring budget and a giant conglomerate corporation. That small company is going to watch every penny that goes in and out because it has to stretch its budget. That large corporation pays someone $80 an hour to sit on their ass reading emails.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

not to mention the unbelieveable amount of money some of these companies are willing to throw around.  like paying for 1st class tickets and 5 star hotels when that shit is really not necessary.
Most of that has to do with being an ultra-regulated industry. You understand this right? The barriers to entry are so high for the pharmaceutical industry that there's what? 5 major companies controlling the entire market? Of course they have a ton of money to throw around, they have a government subsidized monopoly. Every heavily regulated industry is the same. Regulations are supposedly about protecting the consumer but they're all written to entrench monopolies instead (because competition is bad, it leads to instability).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
no, have the time that small company is going to try and nickle and dime their employees because they dont have the money to back up the contract.  ive seen the extreme on the other end where the contracting company didnt pay what was owed for nearly a year which required my employer to not work for them any more which means all the work done towards whatever clinical trial, perhaps a few years of research will have to be redone because of the shitty company that got the contract for the cheap couldnt afford to play their employees
Tu Stultus Es
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

i don't think the government will swoop in and save the day.  I care about people.  I want everyone to be able to have health insurance to pay for medical procedures without going bankrupt.  So far the private sector has not come up with a plan that would do that.

I have no grand delusion that the government will do anything more efficient than the private sector.  But what's the alternative?  I'm not ok with telling people, "sorry, go fuck yourself for your bad financial moves" like you are.

And now here comes Jay with the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" talk.  We get it.  Companies within a system with a stated goal of maximizing profit are altruistic, ethical and think about long term longevity and stability within the market.  They should be allowed to regulate themselves because that historically has proven to work without outside pressure.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom

Jay wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Most of that has to do with being an ultra-regulated industry. You understand this right? The barriers to entry are so high for the pharmaceutical industry that there's what? 5 major companies controlling the entire market? Of course they have a ton of money to throw around, they have a government subsidized monopoly. Every heavily regulated industry is the same. Regulations are supposedly about protecting the consumer but they're all written to entrench monopolies instead (because competition is bad, it leads to instability).
a japanese bio tech company paying 10 thousand dollar expenses for a 5 day business trip has nothing to do with regulation.  that same business trip would have cost about 1500 if it was done on a budget.  no, regulation has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the amount of money wastes in this industry.  please I dont make any attempt to speak on engineering because i lack a thorough knowledge of that industry.  before you make assumptions why dont you just ask.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i don't think the government will swoop in and save the day.  I care about people.  I want everyone to be able to have health insurance to pay for medical procedures without going bankrupt.  So far the private sector has not come up with a plan that would do that.

I have no grand delusion that the government will do anything more efficient than the private sector.  But what's the alternative?  I'm not ok with telling people, "sorry, go fuck yourself for your bad financial moves" like you are.

And now here comes Jay with the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" talk.  We get it.  Companies within a system with a stated goal of maximizing profit are altruistic, ethical and think about long term longevity and stability within the market.  They should be allowed to regulate themselves because that historically has proven to work without outside pressure.
If Merck put out a drug that was killing people you don't think people would stop buying Merck products? Isn't the media supposed to watchdog this stuff and inform the public?

If you opened up the markets at the state level and allowed for more competition, prices would go down, and people lower on the income scale wouldn't struggle as much to afford healthcare.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Jay wrote:

If Merck put out a drug that was killing people you don't think people would stop buying Merck products?
Stop and think about what you just said for a little while.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5260|foggy bottom
ive worked indirectly for merck
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
they've already put out drugs that are dangerous despite going through trials and regulations
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm well aware.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

If Merck put out a drug that was killing people you don't think people would stop buying Merck products?
Stop and think about what you just said for a little while.
i don't like the whole "put out a drug that was killing people" deal.  That's not a company or industry regulating itself.

Jay wrote:

I'm well aware.
Then what is your point?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Because it's rare. If a drug was killing people wholesale it wouldn't make it to market.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

but the fact remains - in regards to new drugs, the companies don't regulate themselves, the industry doesn't regulate itself and in some cases, government regulation isn't comprehensive enough. So why do you think the company would regulate itself (as opposed to your original argument in favor, which was that the consumers would regulate the industry, not the industry, company or government).

you're doing a poor job arguing your case.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I'm not doing a poor job at all. The market in general is self regulating. When Toyota had that sensationalized story about accelerators sticking they were forced to do a recall because of all the bad publicity. New car sales plunged and their reputation took a hit. If a maker of motherboards is known to be shit quality it will soon go out of business because no one will buy their products.

People are not stupid, that's the entire basis for my argument. They're not going to willfully put themselves in danger by taking a drug that is deemed unsafe. Yes, some will, just like some people do heroin, and some people buy homes on the sides of cliffs in Malibu, but that's not an indictment of all people.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

Jay wrote:

People are not stupid,

Jay wrote:

Yes, some will,
i think you have a syntax problem.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

markets self correct, true sometimes.  People start dying from bad drugs, the pharma market corrects itself.  Industry partakes in bad economic practices which result in crushing the economy, market corrects itself.  Never mind that lives are lost and people are ruined.  The market will eventually correct itself.

The economic cycle.  Booms and busts. I don't want booms and busts.  I want stability.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Government regulations don't change any of that. In the case of the '08 bubble and crash, government interference magnified the damage. You can't legislate away all danger from your life. Drunk driving laws don't stop people from getting killed by drunk drivers.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

in what ways did government interference magnify the damage?  Was that government interference the same as regulation? Regulation isn't the same as legislation. 

Checks and balances.  Someone to look over your work.  Assuming everyone is doing something wrong until you verify it is correct.  Not trusting any entity has your best interest in mind.  Auditing to ensure companies/industries/institutions are adhering to predefined rules.  All these are good concepts to implement into an enlightened society.

Industries use government to further their own self interests - that is a key problem with government-mandated anything.  They are supposed to be for the people.  The definition of people now includes corporations.  The people need to take back control of the government.  Bar forming small collectives, the government is the only tool we have.  I'll never trust any industry or company with a stated goal of maximizing profits to have my best interest in mind.  Sometimes those two goals (maximizing a company's profits and my best interest) intertwine, but they are not connected to each other.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard