Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
Religious organizations in the US are exempt from taxes. I don't wanna pay taxes. How does one get a religion officially recognized by the government so that it becomes tax exempt? Who would be willing to join me in this quest?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6461

Online religion tax evasion.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
start saving up for lawyer fees.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

The Mongol law system called the Yassa had tax exemptions for religious institutions. Even they saw the benefit of leaving religious institutions alone. You will cause way more problems trying to get money from them than you would benefit from the taxes.

Once religious institutions start to get involved in politics is where things start to get complicated..

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-02-28 10:27:40)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
a church contributes nothing tangible and pays no property taxes. a factory provides goods and jobs and pays property taxes. ?????????

but that's beside the point. i wanna know how a religious organization is considered "official" by the government.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-02-28 10:41:21)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
grease the wheels
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
dont forget the koolaid!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

The Mongol law system called the Yassa had tax exemptions for religious institutions. Even they saw the benefit of leaving religious institutions alone. You will cause way more problems trying to get money from them than you would benefit from the taxes.

Once religious institutions start to get involved in politics is where things start to get complicated..
They already do though.  Why not just make religions do the same thing everyone else does? -- file as a nonprofit.

There's no need for an exemption for religion when any institution (religious or otherwise) can file for basically all the same tax relief.

So, to answer your question, Hurricane, you don't need to start a religion -- start a nonprofit organization.

Last edited by Turquoise (2012-02-28 11:25:27)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Religious organizations in the US are exempt from taxes. I don't wanna pay taxes. How does one get a religion officially recognized by the government so that it becomes tax exempt? Who would be willing to join me in this quest?
L Ron Hubbard already beat you to it.  Just follow the blueprint he laid down.
13rin
+977|6471
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Its much like the 'looking up in the air' troll.
Find public area, look up in the air or at top of building, wait for crowd to form and look up in the air, leave, return later to see who is still there.

Or watch 'The Life of Brian'.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

How many religious holidays can I claim? And do I still get to celebrate Easter with chocolate and xmas with presents? What perks does the religion offer in terms of holidays?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Hang on, back up. Does being the head of a religious organisation make you, personally tax exempt? Because otherwise starting one for the hell of it sounds like a colossal waste of time to me.

Unless you intend to turn it into a giant money-spinning machine a la Mr Hubbard.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

no, it doesn't make YOU tax exempt.  But what could happen (here at least) is that the leaders pay themselves exorbitant amounts of money from the coffers of the religious organizations with little to no accountability.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
The donations received by the church are tax exempt. The logic here is that the donations were already taxed as income by the government (but so is everything that gets hit with sales tax ). I'm fairly certain that clergy pay income taxes on the salary they draw from the church, so the entire topic is stupid.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

The donations received by the church are tax exempt. The logic here is that the donations were already taxed as income by the government (but so is everything that gets hit with sales tax ). I'm fairly certain that clergy pay income taxes on the salary they draw from the church, so the entire topic is stupid.
Yeah that's what I thought, which is why this topic seems so imperturbable to me.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard