SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Silly superstitious Chinese
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
People look a bottle of wine and think "OMG $600 for something you'll drink in an hour or two" whereas they look at a graphics card and think "yeah, I'll get a couple years out of that at least" and don't care.

The Chinese wine market is huge. Just a shame they don't know nearly as much about it as they are spending.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711

Jaekus wrote:

People look a bottle of wine and think "OMG $600 for something you'll drink in an hour or two" whereas they look at a graphics card and think "yeah, I'll get a couple years out of that at least" and don't care.
It is the same way when it comes to video games. People will complain about $5 DLC but will buy a $5 big Mac and not think twice about it.
Or spend $30 on a night of light drinking but second guess whether they should buy a cool game now at $29.99 or wait 6 months to save 33% on a steam sale.

Weird how our brains work.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
your brain works? really?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Not like a normal person's. I am deeply ill.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6701|England. Stoke

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Not like a normal person's. I am deeply ill.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
It's all to do with the sense of value that each person has.

I've had people at work buying two cases of wine and ask if it's free freight, to which I tell them that it's free freight if they grab a third case (which is true). They'll happily spend a further $200 on an extra case of wine to waive a $7 freight charge for the total order. Weird.
uziq
+492|3444
sorry i didn't mean to start some huge debate on money and what constitutes 'expensive' to each person.

i still think in terms of a hobby that anything below $1k is fair-game, i mean it can easily be recuperated in one paycheque or so... that's what hobbies or special interests are for, right? offloading disposable income? the fact that it's 'just' a bottle of wine and wine is consumable shouldn't matter at all. i regularly see people spend $100-200 on a single vinyl record. same idea. the actual use-value of the item or the cost of its materials is not the point.
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
So I finished WSET (Wine & Spirit Education Trust) Level 2 last week, just waiting on the exam results to come back but I'm sure I aced it.

Starting WSET Level 3 soon, keen!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
So when you walk into a liquor store to buy wine, how do you pick what to buy? There are at least 30 brands at my local liquor store and I don't know what to buy if I just go there for something to split with a guest.

I settled on a bottle of yellow tail for just myself last Thursday.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Ask the people behind the counter. Yellow Tail is never the correct answer
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
I sincerely doubt the nice Hindu owners know or give a shit about the particulars of wine.

The yellow tail was good enough for watching TV on.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Figure out what type of wine you like (pinot noir, shiraz, chardonnay etc.) and then try different brands within the $12-15 range. Some are dry, some are sweet, some have a lot of tannins. You can only figure out what you like by trying it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

Do what 90% of the population does - choose it based on the label
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Decent wine stores usually put cards under the bottles with ratings from wine enthusiast or some other publication. Same with beer distributors and beeradvocate
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
But it's all about personal preference. How many medals a wine my get or how well rated, what you like is personal to you. There's thousands of blind taste tests where some people just prefer the cheap shit over award winning wines. Hell just look at chocolate, millions of people like hershey.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6315|Graz, Austria
I can only barely tolerate dry white wine. Anything sweet or red wine gives me nasty hang overs and migraines.
Nowadays I only drink Cuban and Jamaican rum, where I can drink half a bottle without any problems on the next day.

One day I'll switch to ultra pure grade ethanol on the rocks (made from double distilled water).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

globefish23 wrote:

I can only barely tolerate dry white wine. Anything sweet or red wine gives me nasty hang overs and migraines.
Nowadays I only drink Cuban and Jamaican rum, where I can drink half a bottle without any problems on the next day.

One day I'll switch to ultra pure grade ethanol on the rocks (made from double distilled water).
I'm completely opposite! White wine (especially sparkling/champagne) gives me massive headaches.  I can drink red wine all day all night with no repercussions
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
There are many factors that influence the flavour of wines of the same variety. Some are:

Region
Vintage
Winemaking techniques
Quality of fruit
Bottle age
Time of harvest
Vine yield
Storage
Method of serving (ie. decanting, with or without food - that in itself is another area)

A rough guide is to find a couple varieties you like (eg. Cabernet Sauvignon) and then just try a few different wines from the same region. Many winemakers have a certain style to their winemaking that can be seen across several varieties and even regions. For example, here in Australia in the Barossa there is a winery called Teusner (Kym Teusner is the owner and winemaker, used to work for Torbreck) and he makes all his Shiraz using French Oak, instead of the much more common American Oak. Because of the tighter grain with French Oak it makes for finer, smoother tannins, so his wines are more plush and softer as a result.

I could write a whole essay about this but it really comes down to understanding a bit about the wines you know you like and branching out from there.

PS: Yellowtail is an SEA wine (South Eastern Australia), which is a term used for any cheap, bulk production wine that comes from hotter regions such as Riverina, Riverland and Swan Hill, with the emphasis is on producing volume of fruit, not quality.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
i preferred failed rock star you
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney
I talk about this stuff all day, every day
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

you forgot soil composition and weather.
uziq
+492|3444
lagavulin is my new jam. it has replaced wine. i am sorry. 2-3 years of drinking red on the regular has got me bored. i do fuck with a good châteauneuf-du-pape though.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
fruitlexia is my new thing. makes you sexia.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5170|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you forgot soil composition and weather.
I didn't say it was a comprehensive list.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard