KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Jay, if you agree that the president is largely a figurehead, why do you think the election of Ron Paul would change anything?

I can't believe you are championing the ruling on that citizens united case. Do you understand the impact?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay, if you agree that the president is largely a figurehead, why do you think the election of Ron Paul would change anything?

I can't believe you are championing the ruling on that citizens united case. Do you understand the impact?
Yes, it narrows the viewpoint of the parties because they can pay attention to less people and still get the money they need to fund a campaign. That's what I assume people are afraid of. Except it doesn't really change anything because it was already the state of things. If anything, it opens up a future where there are a lot of little parties representing narrower and narrower interest bands. Isn't that basically what everybody wants anyway? Coalition governments and the like.

Individual voices, unless they were billionaires, were safely ignored pre-Citizens United. This hasn't changed. The only people really negatively affected are the small lobbyist groups with no money that were only heard because there was a spending cap which made them equal to everyone else. Can't say I care much.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

It broadens the definition of citizen to include corporations, which means corporations are allowed the same protections as people. It's a bit ominous in my opinion.

You didn't address my question about Ron Paul.

You're essentially mimicking sheeple Obama supporters- he represents something new, anti-establishment, he can change the system. But then you acknowledge the president is largely a figurehead, which means he can't really change much because he lacks the total power to do so. So at the end of the day, you support Ron Paul because he offers a different look- the same reason a lot of people latched on to Barack
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

It broadens the definition of citizen to include corporations, which means corporations are allowed the same protections as people. It's a bit ominous in my opinion.

You didn't address my question about Ron Paul.
I think electing Paul would simply send a message that the status quo is not acceptable. I don't agree with him on a lot of things: I don't want a gold standard, but I do want a balanced budget amendment with teeth. I do want our military to demobilize into an almost pure defensive posture. I do agree that more power needs to be pushed down as far as possible.

He's not perfect, but he's better than the alternatives. I want open debate about policy. I want more than what we have today: a house built by both the Democrats and Republicans, where they're both comfortable, except for the color of the paint. Paul is different, and I think it would be a gigantic Fuck You to the assholes currently running the country. That's all the reason I need.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You're essentially mimicking sheeple Obama supporters- he represents something new, anti-establishment, he can change the system. But then you acknowledge the president is largely a figurehead, which means he can't really change much because he lacks the total power to do so. So at the end of the day, you support Ron Paul because he offers a different look- the same reason a lot of people latched on to Barack
Except I think Paul is actually genuine and not just mouthing the words he thinks people want to hear.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

And plenty of people thought Barack was genuine too.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

By the way, I'm not saying its a bad thing. Just trying to add perspective
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

They just thought he was Not Bush

He was status quo progressive from my perspective, which is why I didn't vote for him.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

So Jay what do you think about the Citizens United ruling?  Just curious.
I think its a win for free speech. Corporations get their say regardless, now its just more open. Republicans were at a disadvantage before because they get zero union camapign contributions, now its fairly even. Dems only whine because it fucked up thei artificial competitive advantage: see MoveOn among others.
The Canadians seem to have a better system for campaigns.  As far as I understand it, there is an equal amount of public funds for each side, and so donations don't really play into it.  It's more about advertising and strategy than fundraising.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Oh, and I failed to mention that the only real power a pres has is the veto, and I'm fairly certain Paul would break records for its use.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

So Jay what do you think about the Citizens United ruling?  Just curious.
I think its a win for free speech. Corporations get their say regardless, now its just more open. Republicans were at a disadvantage before because they get zero union camapign contributions, now its fairly even. Dems only whine because it fucked up thei artificial competitive advantage: see MoveOn among others.
The Canadians seem to have a better system for campaigns.  As far as I understand it, there is an equal amount of public funds for each side, and so donations don't really play into it.  It's more about advertising and strategy than fundraising.
Yeah, but that forces people that want nothing to do with politics to fund the salaries of campaign managers and stuff
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Yes, it narrows the viewpoint of the parties because they can pay attention to less people and still get the money they need to fund a campaign. That's what I assume people are afraid of. Except it doesn't really change anything because it was already the state of things. If anything, it opens up a future where there are a lot of little parties representing narrower and narrower interest bands. Isn't that basically what everybody wants anyway? Coalition governments and the like.

Individual voices, unless they were billionaires, were safely ignored pre-Citizens United. This hasn't changed. The only people really negatively affected are the small lobbyist groups with no money that were only heard because there was a spending cap which made them equal to everyone else. Can't say I care much.
Unless IRV or approval voting is implemented, Citizens United just makes it easier to buy elections out in the open.

There still is no incentive for coalitions to develop, because our voting system is not proportional by design.  Most parliamentary systems are better at accurately representing proportional support.

Granted, I will agree that this ruling doesn't change much in the case of how lobbyism works.  It just essentially sends a message of approval towards our rather plutocratic system.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

He was status quo progressive from my perspective, which is why I didn't vote for him.
No, plenty of people actually believed he was genuine, just like you think Ron Paul is actually genuine. You can't just dismiss that with a smiley face. I didn't vote for Barack either, but that is besides the point.
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Yeah, but that forces people that want nothing to do with politics to fund the salaries of campaign managers and stuff
They already are forced to fund lots of other things they want nothing to do with.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No, plenty of people actually believed he was genuine, just like you think Ron Paul is actually genuine. You can't just dismiss that with a smiley face. I didn't vote for Barack either, but that is besides the point.
Obama didn't have 25 years of pushing the same message behind him.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

They already are forced to fund lots of other things they want nothing to do with.
You want to make voting compulsory too?
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ken, I have to agree with Jay here.  Obama's electoral history was rather brief, so we had little evidence to see what he supported or was against.

Paul has been in the system for a while, and despite that, he's never been the "insider" type.  He's never really compromised his ideals for the sake of money or re-election.
Turquoise
O Canada

Jay wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

You want to make voting compulsory too?
Nope.  I draw the line there.

I just believe that free speech and donations are entirely different.  I really do not think that the Founders interpreted them as the same, and I think they'd be appalled at how plutocratic things have become.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
The Supreme Court ruled on an obscure taxation issue in the Santa Clara County vs. The Union Pacific Railroad case, but the Recorder of the court -- a man named J. C. Bancroft Davis, himself formerly the president of a small railroad -- wrote into his personal commentary of the case (known as a headnote) that the Chief Justice had said that all the Justices agreed that corporations are persons.

And in so doing, he -- not the Supreme Court, but its clerical recorder -- inserted a statement that would change history and give corporations enormous powers that were not granted by Congress, not granted by the voters, and not even granted by the Supreme Court. Davis's headnote, which had no legal standing, was taken as precedent by generations of jurists (including the Supreme Court) who followed and apparently read the headnote but not the decision.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/component/c … 46916.html
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Ken, I have to agree with Jay here.  Obama's electoral history was rather brief, so we had little evidence to see what he supported or was against.

Paul has been in the system for a while, and despite that, he's never been the "insider" type.  He's never really compromised his ideals for the sake of money or re-election.
Whether or not either of them are genuine doesn't matter- neither of them can enact whatever it is they want to because they don't have the power. Ron Paul can have 70 years saying the same message- it doesn't change the reality
Turquoise
O Canada

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Jay wrote:

Whether or not either of them are genuine doesn't matter- neither of them can enact whatever it is they want to because they don't have the power. Ron Paul can have 70 years saying the same message- it doesn't change the reality
True...   bullets change governments far surer than votes.

If it weren't for the fact that most revolutions end up putting even worse people in power, I'd be all for joining a resistance movement.

The fuckers we have in charge aren't the world's worst, but they're definitely not the best either.

Still, if Ben Bernanke were to be "made an example of", I wouldn't exactly mind that....
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
citizens united is the worst thing to happen to this country since dred scott
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

citizens united is the worst thing to happen to this country since dred scott
Why?
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
ron paul accepts pork just like every other member of congress.

ok apologists, your turn
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard