rdx-fx
+955|6600
In a defensive war, you're fighting the population of the country, on their home terrain.
In an offensive war, you're fighting the infrastructure (financial/industrial) & government willpower.

Nobody wants to fight China or Russia when China or Russia is on defense.
You don't defeat their offensive military by defeating their military on the ground, you defeat it by overcoming their political will or their financial/infrastructural capacity to support the military.

And, really, Russia's infrastructure is weakened right now.
Too much corruption on top, too little investment in the system by the lower & middle class.
Putin has balls of steel, but he doesn't have the infrastructure to back it up.

China's infrastructure is strong, but fragile.
They're also not doing themselves any favors environmentally, trying to develop a superpower industrial economy with complete disregard for long term environmental issues.
rdx-fx
+955|6600

Spark wrote:

dunno. china has some pretty deep social and economic issues that are going to crop up in a big way in a decade or two.
As long as their growth outpaces their issues, they can ignore the issues.

If or when China's growth falters, they will have serious difficulties to attend to, socially, environmentally and economically.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6200|Roma
Just read that Iran could conceivably block 1/3 of the worlds supply of Jet Fuel. Holy Shit.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS
20% of the world's oil goes through hormuz so yeah
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
rdx-fx
+955|6600

Spark wrote:

Between the US and Canada, we have a shitload of coal.
Time to dust off the Fischer-Tropsch coal to fuel oil conversion process.
Desulphurization of the CO stream isn't nearly as difficult as it was in the 1940's, with dual-alkali SO2 scrubbing systems.
And, with the improved understanding of catalytic reactions, not so much 'poisoning' of the nickel/cobalt layers in the F-T reactors.

Closed loop geothermal power from the Yellowstone Caldera 'supervolcano' would be a good source of energy for static infrastructure too.
(static: non-moving, buildings.  everything not flying, floating, or driving). 
Plenty of heat from a supervolcano with a permanent pipe to the molten upper mantle.

But, y'know, we can't go using those just yet.
Have to burn up the rest of the world supply first, keep prices profitable.
Can't just go pulling the US from the world energy market - that'd make things too cheap for our rivals.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-04-15 08:20:27)

specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills
If the US did not have to rebuild the nation of Iran it would be a no contest.  Like minor league versus major league, the US would pound Iran into submission in under 2 weeks, especially if nuclear warfare came into question.  Seriously how is this even a debate, unless the US were forced to do like it did with Iraq and Afghanistan this is a joke.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6683|Canberra, AUS

rdx-fx wrote:

Spark wrote:

Between the US and Canada, we have a shitload of coal.
Time to dust off the Fischer-Tropsch coal to fuel oil conversion process.
Desulphurization of the CO stream isn't nearly as difficult as it was in the 1940's, with dual-alkali SO2 scrubbing systems.
And, with the improved understanding of catalytic reactions, not so much 'poisoning' of the nickel/cobalt layers in the F-T reactors.

Closed loop geothermal power from the Yellowstone Caldera 'supervolcano' would be a good source of energy for static infrastructure too.
(static: non-moving, buildings.  everything not flying, floating, or driving). 
Plenty of heat from a supervolcano with a permanent pipe to the molten upper mantle.

But, y'know, we can't go using those just yet.
Have to burn up the rest of the world supply first, keep prices profitable.
Can't just go pulling the US from the world energy market - that'd make things too cheap for our rivals.
That's a fantastic idea. No idea why I haven't thought of that before.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
rdx-fx
+955|6600

Spark wrote:

That's a fantastic idea. No idea why I haven't thought of that before.
I've lived nearly on top of two of the major super volcanos.
Long Valley caldera, near Mammoth, California.
Yellowstone caldera, Montana.

Steam turbine tech from nuclear reactor, without the nuclear. Essentially.

With a couple of technologies from hard rock mining, and offshore oil drilling thrown in.

I've been playing with the idea since high school, when my home was quite literally ON a dormant volcano (Mammoth Mountain).
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England
Groovy, except that Yellowstone is in the middle of nowhere. Who are you going to sell power to? Montana sheep herders? Yes, it's essentially free energy, but the transmission losses would be so high that you'd probably have to overbuild by a factor of five.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6600

Jay wrote:

Groovy, except that Yellowstone is in the middle of nowhere. Who are you going to sell power to? Montana sheep herders? Yes, it's essentially free energy, but the transmission losses would be so high that you'd probably have to overbuild by a factor of five.
HVDC transmission. 7-10% loss per 1500 miles, IIRC.

plenty of sheep farmers within 1500 miles
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Jay wrote:

You seem to know about the US power grid, continue, I have no fucking clue where we get most of our power from.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

specops10-4 wrote:

Jay wrote:

You seem to know about the US power grid, continue, I have no fucking clue where we get most of our power from.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/72/Coal_anthracite.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Macbeth wrote:

It would pretty much fuck up the worlds economy
A straight up war would only help our economy...  WW2 is a good example of that.  Unfortunately for us/fortunately for our enemies we have yet to fight in another "straight up war", so we are going to continue to suffer if we happen to engage in another long and pointless rebuilding stage.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
All we need is a national draft and a three million person army to force 100% employment. Gee, is that all?
-Frederick Bastiat
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Jay wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Annnnd youre right!  Its very cheap to mine and transport coal, so even with the losses in transportation it still is VERY cheap energy albeit terrible for the environment.
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Jay wrote:

All we need is a national draft and a three million person army to force 100% employment. Gee, is that all?
Hey, it might be better than another great depression.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-15 19:40:54)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Why not just cut out the middleman and shoot the long term unemployed? No need to bother ze Germans.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

specops10-4 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

A straight up war would only help our economy...  WW2 is a good example of that.  Unfortunately for us/fortunately for our enemies we have yet to fight in another "straight up war", so we are going to continue to suffer if we happen to engage in another long and pointless rebuilding stage.
A war would not help our economy. The U.S. was facing food rationing during the war. After the war our economy was only doing so well because everyone else had destroyed their countries. Stability leads to economic growth. Wars are the exact opposite of stability.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Stability leads to stagnation but whatever, I'm too tired to argue with people tonight.
-Frederick Bastiat
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Macbeth wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

A war would not help our economy. The U.S. was facing food rationing during the war. After the war our economy was only doing so well because everyone else had destroyed their countries. Stability leads to economic growth. Wars are the exact opposite of stability.
Military Industrial Complex.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

specops10-4 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

Have the Iraq and Afghanistan wars been profitable?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

AussieReaper wrote:

specops10-4 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Have the Iraq and Afghanistan wars been profitable?
Nope, and thats not what I said.  We've spent a lot on rebuilding Iraq/Afghanistan, a real head-head war would focus on state of the art technology, new weapons etc. for ourselves.  Not new schools, roads, buildings, bases and local police/military spent on other nations.

Last edited by specops10-4 (2012-04-15 19:52:27)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

Jay wrote:

Stability leads to stagnation but whatever, I'm too tired to argue with people tonight.
The only progress chaos produces is in the field of killing people.

Hey, you know you don't have to argue with me right now. You can leave a post here and it will still be here tomorrow. The wonders of technology.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

Jay wrote:

What kind of dumb ass response is this? I'm talking about the link between economic growth and stability and you want to discuss some Darwinian concept of progress.

Oh yeah, stability is so bad for a country's economy, the African states are going to be the biggest economies in a few years and the politically stable for the last 70 years European countries are going to go stagnant. Stability sucks so bad.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

The only progress chaos produces is in the field of killing people.

Hey, you know you don't have to argue with me right now. You can leave a post here and it will still be here tomorrow. The wonders of technology.
War isn't the only form of chaos. Chaos occurs every day in billions of transactions between individuals. The only form of non-chaos is that which is imposed by others on the system in the form of rules and regulations. It's akin to the difference between an unlined sketch pad and a coloring book. With the sketch pad the only real limits are the size of the paper and your imagination. With a paint by numbers coloring book, you're given much stricter parameters.

New industries are like the sketch book. Crony capitalism hasn't reared its ugly head yet, regulations are lax or non-existent, and the players involved are free to take pretty much any path they can. Once the industry becomes established, they buy politicians, create a bunch of rules and put up high barriers to entry for any new players. They create artificial stability and a steady revenue stream, but the consumer suffers for it. Economic stability only benefits the established players in a given society.

I prefer innovation and an open environment to stagnation and stifling rules.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard