Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

The U.S. Navy has named a bunch of ships over the years after Confederate leaders including Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. I'm sure there are plenty of cities, roads, landmarks and other things named after them too. Do you think the U.S. government or we as a people should avoid or have a de facto ban on naming things about Confed leaders? No matter how good of generals they were or honorable or anything, they were still traitors who rebelled against their government and country. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards stripping them of any and all posthumous honors.

What do you think?

Now before someone chims in with "what are we supposed to name things after?!''. How about we name things after people who didn't nearly rip the country apart?

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-01-14 20:45:17)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
If people don't want shit named after them then they can always petition to have roads renamed. There's a Jefferson Davis Highway in Virginia (and a few other confederate-named roads) but it doesn't really bother me. Nor does it really bother anybody else.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

It's a matter of national identity and taste. We shouldn't name things after people who undermined our country. Naming something Hitler highway or Osama off ramp may not be a big deal in the greater scheme of things but it's not in good taste. We also shouldn't' encourage admiration for traitors.

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-01-14 21:13:20)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

I wonder if we had lost the Revolutionary war, if we would name things after Washington.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
well i wouldnt have to hear half the older population in the area say warshington
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Macbeth wrote:

We also shouldn't' encourage admiration for traitors.
They believed they were fighting the expansion of the federal government. It was that encroachment that they saw as traitorous, by violating their state rights. The civil war ended up bringing the states even closer together after the war. Lee and Stonewall were brilliant Generals (compared to the likes of Washington). They are part of American history, and both served the US in wars prior to the civil war. A rebellion is only traitorous if you lose.

If we're to go pack and nitpick history, reconsidering who we honor, why not start with the slave owners who founded the US? Perhaps we should rethink Jackson, and consider the terrorist-like tactics he used in Florida (which got him temporarily censored by congress). It's important to consider historical context.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Macbeth wrote:

Now before someone chims in with "what are we supposed to name things after?!''. How about we name things after people who didn't nearly rip the country apart?
Move on Macbeth. It's those sort of sentiments that divide the country even further.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I think the point to ending a civil war and reuniting the country is to end the civil war and reunite the country.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Kmar wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

They believed they were fighting the expansion of the federal government. It was that encroachment that they saw as traitorous, by violating their state rights. The civil war ended up bringing the states even closer together after the war. Lee and Stonewall were brilliant Generals (compared to the likes of Washington). They are part of American history, and both served the US in wars prior to the civil war. A rebellion is only traitorous if you lose.

If we're to go pack and nitpick history, reconsidering who we honor, why not start with the slave owners who founded the US? Perhaps we should rethink Jackson, and consider the terrorist-like tactics he used in Florida (which got him temporarily censored by congress). It's important to consider historical context.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Andrew Jackson practically slaughtered the Indians himself and yet his visage graces the $20.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
The Civil War is considered the bloodiest war in American history because people consider it to be Americans fighting Americans. They don't see the southern states, even then, as a separate entity. Jackson and Lee phenomenal generals. It's not honoring them as rebels of the United States. It's honoring them as Americans, which they were born as and who they died as. As already noted, the idea of the civil war for the Union was to reunite the country. I'm pretty sure demonizing two generals who still essentially considered themselves Americans would be a pretty poor idea.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Andrew Jackson practically slaughtered the Indians himself and yet his visage graces the $20.
Grant was an absolutely awful president as well, yet he's on the $50.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6459
Alexander Hamilton was the best fucking president ever. I'm glad he is one the ten dollar Federal Reserve note.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6723|Cambridge, England

Macbeth wrote:

The U.S. Navy has named a bunch of ships over the years after Confederate leaders including Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. I'm sure there are plenty of cities, roads, landmarks and other things named after them too. Do you think the U.S. government or we as a people should avoid or have a de facto ban on naming things about Confed leaders? No matter how good of generals they were or honorable or anything, they were still traitors who rebelled against their government and country. I'm leaning pretty strongly towards stripping them of any and all posthumous honors.

What do you think?

Shouldn't name anything after anybody American, you are all traitors who rebelled against our government.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Alexander Hamilton was the best fucking president ever. I'm glad he is one the ten dollar Federal Reserve note.
Ben Franklin was better
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I don't think Woodrow Wilson deserved to be on the $100,000 bill.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
who cares what an immigrant thinks
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
fdp
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
no matter how hard you try hurri...

Last edited by eleven bravo (2012-01-15 09:17:20)

Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
dennis you used to be such a nice person
13/f/taiwan
+940|5690
no he didn't.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

who cares what an immigrant thinks
Or a Puerto Rican.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6488

"War Between the States"
eleven bravo
+1,399|5250|foggy bottom
inb4 some dumb ass wants to sound like a smart guy and says something like "it wasnt a civil war because the south wasnt trying to take over the country" or "northern industrial workers  had it much worse than slaves in the south derp derp"

Last edited by eleven bravo (2012-01-15 10:47:46)

Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
northern industrial workers had it much worse than slaves in the south. damn carpetbaggers and their war of northern aggression.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida

Poseidon wrote:

Grant was an absolutely awful president as well, yet he's on the $50.
That might have more to do with him being commander of the Union army...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
*shrugs*  Anyone up for the Timothy McVeigh highway?  How about the Ted Kaczynski turnpike?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard