Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6797|Moscow, Russia

Eifa wrote:

Shahter wrote:

hey, looks like i'd fit right in. are you, by chance, hiring? i can speak russian, i can pretend i speak english and i certainly can bang people's heads against walls.
do you have engineers degree? and also, you should have to be able to communicate in finnish too.
no degree, no finnish, i'm really good at bashing heads though. no go?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6365

Eifa wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Eifa wrote:

cars. need i say more? i know english already, and a lot of the customers are russian, estonian or from nigeria/zimbabwe etc.. and the last two mentioned speak either bad finnish or bad english, and i can cope with both of them.
your job is to sell cars to russians? not to offend, but i don't envy you at all.
nah, i work at a inspection station.. (mot test station)
we do the yearly check ups to the cars, change the owners and do all the stupid paperwork with the cars.
and you can't believe how unbelievably difficult it is sometimes with the russians.. not saying that it's easy with other people but still..
"have you taken an insurance for the car" "yesyes, i had in my old car" "but have you taken one for your new car" "yes yes the insurance in the old car" .. that's about where you want to start banging your head against the wall.
Lemme tell you, it´s not easier to try to tell them from what time on breakfast starts, where the nearest bus station is to get to the city center or how to get into the hotel after midnight. I´m a night clerk at said hotel and we get suprisingly large numbers of Russians as guests.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
rdx-fx
+955|6613

Lucien wrote:

I got pretty far with japanese before I got bored of it/everything in it. learnt 2000+ kanji and about as many words by studying on my own. It's not so much of a waste as Chinese uses the same symbols
As does Korean

In my experience, if you don't understand the culture, you'll never get a truly fluent grasp of their language.

Spent a year learning Korean (DLI),
8 hours a day - 5 days a week in class, then another 4-12 hours a day 6 days a week studying.

I really did not mesh with their psychology and culture.
They are extremely polite to your face, and viciously backstabbing behind your back
I am more "Don't say anything bad about someone that you haven't already said to their face"

And Koreans in a position of authority (teachers) get horribly offended if you stand up while they're 2 inches from your nose berating you.
Army Private - someone's in your face, yelling, you stand at a position of attention.

As a contrast, German makes sense to me.
The literature, the history, the culture, the language.
Even when it's nonsensical, idiomatic, idiotic, or pig-headed - it's "yeah. No surprise. fits my understanding of German speakers"

Hell, Farsi/Dari/Tajik and Arabic (MSA/Iraqi) made some sense.
I don't agree with their psychology and culture, but it has a particular, peculiar consistency to it.
(i.e., there is no objective truth.
There is relative truth, outright lies to illustrate a point, and evasions/half-truths. 
All based on a calculated estimate of your standing/position/power relative to the other person)

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-16 07:49:28)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

rdx-fx wrote:

Lucien wrote:

I got pretty far with japanese before I got bored of it/everything in it. learnt 2000+ kanji and about as many words by studying on my own. It's not so much of a waste as Chinese uses the same symbols
As does Korean

In my experience, if you don't understand the culture, you'll never get a truly fluent grasp of their language.

Spent a year learning Korean (DLI),
8 hours a day - 5 days a week in class, then another 4-12 hours a day 6 days a week studying.

I really did not mesh with their psychology and culture.
They are extremely polite to your face, and viciously backstabbing behind your back
I am more "Don't say anything bad about someone that you haven't already said to their face"

And Koreans in a position of authority (teachers) get horribly offended if you stand up while they're 2 inches from your nose berating you.
Army Private - someone's in your face, yelling, you stand at a position of attention.

As a contrast, German makes sense to me.
The literature, the history, the culture, the language.
Even when it's nonsensical, idiomatic, idiotic, or pig-headed - it's "yeah. No surprise. fits my understanding of German speakers"

Hell, Farsi/Dari/Tajik and Arabic (MSA/Iraqi) made some sense.
I don't agree with their psychology and culture, but it has a particular, peculiar consistency to it.
(i.e., there is no objective truth.
There is relative truth, outright lies to illustrate a point, and evasions/half-truths. 
All based on a calculated estimate of your standing/position/power relative to the other person)
Are you saying people from other countries don't backstab? Its not only a Korean thing(which tbh i haven't noticed that much), but its global, its part of human nature. Also everybody says "ohh don't say bad stuff about someone behind their back and i never do it"...i'm sorry but that's just bullshit. Everybody ends up saying bad stuff about someone behind their back eventually.

They get offended because its a sign of disrespect. You do not disrespect someone who is older than you and is in a higher position than you (i.e. the teacher), if someone who is older than you is talking to you, you sit there quietly and listen to them until he is finished, then you can respond.
Teachers do not go easy on you, they will hit you in school and punish you if do not behave correctly. Its good, it doesn't allow kids to say to teachers "shut up, fuck you" like they do in most of the western countries, like in Italy.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2012-01-16 09:41:06)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
rdx-fx
+955|6613

aerodynamic wrote:

Are you saying people from other countries don't backstab? Its not only a Korean thing(which tbh i haven't noticed that much), but its global, its part of human nature. Also everybody says "ohh don't say bad stuff about someone behind their back and i never do it"...i'm sorry but that's just bullshit. Everybody ends up saying bad stuff about someone behind their back eventually.

They get offended because its a sign of disrespect. You do not disrespect someone who is older than you and is in a higher position than you (i.e. the teacher), if someone who is older than you is talking to you, you sit there quietly and listen to them until he is finished, then you can respond.
Teachers do not go easy on you, they will hit you in school and punish you if do not behave correctly. Its good, it doesn't allow kids to say to teachers "shut up, fuck you" like they do in most of the western countries, like in Italy.
In my experience, if you are a peer or a superior, the Koreans aren't culturally permitted to say anything bad to your face in a professional environment.
But, when a person is not present, there is a cultural imperative to set the social heirarchy.
Good, bad or otherwise - doesn't matter.  Just how they are.

Just between the US, Korean, and Arabic cultures, there are a great many of those cultural differences that, to one culture something may mean absolutely nothing, but to another culture is an essential key to their whole cultural makeup.  For example, the different forms of language used depending on your standing compared to the listener - major point in Japanese (5 forms?), major point in Korean (2 forms), minor point in German (Du/Sie), nearly absent in English (Sir/you - yeah/yes).  Male/female, religion, and caste issues in the Middle East, for another example - matter of life and death on one side, perhaps, negligible detail in the other culture.

If you get stuck on "right/wrong" regarding these differences, you're not going to "get" that culture.
You have to think in terms of what's different, and what the importance of that difference is within that culture.
When you're working within that culture, you have to work with those essential differences in mind in terms of their value within that culture.

Aero, Don't much care if you're "sorry", it's not bullshit.
In my culture, it is the sign of a weak man to say things behind another man's back that you wouldn't dare say to their face.
In a professional environment, I will distrust anyone who would say something with career influencing negative implications, if the person in question is not there to defend themselves.
In other words, at work, do NOT talk shit about someone's job performance, unless they are there to speak in their own defense.

And, as a part of military culture, you stand at a position of attention (or parade rest) when you are being berated by a superior.
You don't tell them "shut up, fuck you". 
You stand there, take it face to face, as a soldier, with the appropriate "yes, sir" or "no, sir" if asked for a response.
But a solider will stand, face to face, as a professional and as a soldier.
We don't play Mickey Mouse big man/little man games.

You are who you are, and if you can't stand up and accept who you are, you aren't shit.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-16 10:42:34)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma
What you are saying about the professional environment is pretty much given, no need to say it really.

But what you are saying is; since Korean culture does not allow people to argue/reply to people who are superior to you WILL talk shit about them in the back...it's not true.
It's not like we are going to shut up if a superior is yelling us with false accusations. Our reply will not be "No, you are bullshitting!", we are going to reply "No sir, I did this and this, in no way what you are saying is true" in a polite way. You are allowed to reply, in a POLITE manner, hence why we have two different ways of speaking, the colloquial speaking between friends and younger people and the formal/polite speaking manner towards superiors, parents even between colleagues at work.

Plus, why are you comparing the Military culture with the civilian culture?

Last edited by aerodynamic (2012-01-16 10:50:01)

rdx-fx
+955|6613

aerodynamic wrote:

Plus, why are you comparing the Military culture with the civilian culture?
One of my examples was while as a soldier, dealing with a Korean instructor.

My other examples are from civilian professional and personal life in "flyover state" USA.

aerodynamic wrote:

But what you are saying is; since Korean culture does not allow people to argue/reply to people who are superior to you WILL talk shit about them in the back...it's not true.
Not what I said.
One, "if you are a peer or a superior, the Koreans aren't culturally permitted to say anything bad to your face in a professional environment."
Then
Two, to phrase it another way, within a peer group, the setting of your standing within that group is set while you are not present.

And, to add, a third. 
Koreans seem to be quite rude to those below them socially. 
Teachers to students, mothers to children, bosses to subordinates.
Professionalism, consideration, and respect seem to be completely lacking in that direction.
Very much a stark contrast to the unfailing politeness in the other direction.

Very offensive to my personal sensibilities.
To me, it speaks volumes about a person, how they treat children, subordinates, or the poor.
Treat people fairly, and with respect - especially those that you could get away with treating badly.
Being kind because you have to isn't much - being kind because that's who you are says something about you.

And, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I seem to have had an allergic reaction to the Korean language and culture.
Don't hate them - just don't have much interest in having anything to do with their language or culture anymore.

No visits to China, Japan, or Korea for me.
Mongolia, sure - the rest of Asia, probably not.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2012-01-16 11:11:19)

aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma
I agree about the rudeness in the work environment, experienced that my self. Same for the school environment. But the professionalism is definitely not lacking.
But outside that, Koreans are respectful towards everybody, i.e. speak in a formal manner and once you reach the age of 20-ish older it gets more polite. And they won't treat you like shit.

For the family part, Koreans raise their kids in a different way.
You won't see the over protection of kids that you see in America or Europe.
Kids are raised hard, you follow the discipline, you respect the rules, you respect people older than you, you do what you are told and you are not an intensive care vegetable. You end up maturing much faster and rely on your self much faster.

and please do not lecture me about, "What your personality is", "being good to everybody" etc...
Its obnoxious.

ps. I do not mean to attack you personally with that last sentence but I've been lectured on that many times by people, and it just drives me nuts.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2012-01-16 11:32:05)

rdx-fx
+955|6613

aerodynamic wrote:

Kids are raised hard, you follow the discipline, you respect the rules, you respect people older than you, you do what you are told and you are not an intensive care vegetable.
You end up maturing much faster and rely on your self much faster.
Large difference between the urban "intensive care vegetable" upper middle class kids in the US, and the rest of the US.
Exactly what you wrote applies directly to kids raised in non-urban Alaska or Montana, for the most part.
Kids help with the house, the farm, the ranch, or whatever.
Carpentry, plumbing, hunting, fishing, fixing mechanical equipment - it is expected you know a little of all of these as a kid here.

aerodynamic wrote:

and please do not lecture me about, "What your personality is", "being good to everybody" etc...
Its obnoxious.

ps. I do not mean to attack you personally with that last sentence but I've been lectured on that many times by people, and it just drives me nuts.
Not intended as a lecture, simply as an illustration of my perspective.
There may be a stereotype of the pushy, preachy American thinking everyone has to think as I do, that my way is (of course) the objectively right way to do things.
I'm not one of them.

I'm a big fan of bending over backwards to understand another culture, as long as both sides are equally understanding.
When in Korea, play by Korean rules - When in the US, play by US rules.
When you're somewhere in between, both sides have to understand both sets of customs and expectations.
Probably a Western concept of fairness, but it's the best I've got.
Eifa
Never regret anything that ever made you smile.
+923|5893|00770

Sisco wrote:

Eifa wrote:

Shahter wrote:

your job is to sell cars to russians? not to offend, but i don't envy you at all.
we do the yearly check ups to the cars, change the owners and do all the stupid paperwork with the cars.
and you can't believe how unbelievably difficult it is sometimes with the russians.. not saying that it's easy with other people but still..
"have you taken an insurance for the car" "yesyes, i had in my old car" "but have you taken one for your new car" "yes yes the insurance in the old car" .. that's about where you want to start banging your head against the wall.
Lemme tell you, it´s not easier to try to tell them from what time on breakfast starts, where the nearest bus station is to get to the city center or how to get into the hotel after midnight. I´m a night clerk at said hotel and we get suprisingly large numbers of Russians as guests.
get my point then? basics would help a lot.
@shahter, i think it's a no go
No, I don't need an attitude adjustment. You just need to fuck off.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5775|Roma

rdx-fx wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Kids are raised hard, you follow the discipline, you respect the rules, you respect people older than you, you do what you are told and you are not an intensive care vegetable.
You end up maturing much faster and rely on your self much faster.
Large difference between the urban "intensive care vegetable" upper middle class kids in the US, and the rest of the US.
Exactly what you wrote applies directly to kids raised in non-urban Alaska or Montana, for the most part.
Kids help with the house, the farm, the ranch, or whatever.
Carpentry, plumbing, hunting, fishing, fixing mechanical equipment - it is expected you know a little of all of these as a kid here.

aerodynamic wrote:

Its obnoxious.

Not intended as a lecture, simply as an illustration of my perspective.
There may be a stereotype of the pushy, preachy American thinking everyone has to think as I do, that my way is (of course) the objectively right way to do things.
I'm not one of them.

I'm a big fan of bending over backwards to understand another culture, as long as both sides are equally understanding.
When in Korea, play by Korean rules - When in the US, play by US rules.
When you're somewhere in between, both sides have to understand both sets of customs and expectations.
Probably a Western concept of fairness, but it's the best I've got.
Korean culture relies on the ancient traditions, way too much even for my opinion.
I am 100% with discipline and the way kids are raised in Korea in families and school but the hierarchy bothers me a lot to.
rdx-fx
+955|6613

aerodynamic wrote:

Korean culture relies on the ancient traditions, way too much even for my opinion.
I am 100% with discipline and the way kids are raised in Korea in families and school but the hierarchy bothers me a lot to.
The heirarchy can be understood,
the tradition is expected of Asian cultures.
How they can be so completely polite at one turn, then completely viciously backstabbing and insulting a few minutes later,.. difficult to understand.

Many things about Korean culture strike me as "Wait.  What?  WTF?! That does not make any sense"
Back to the original thread, that makes learning the language rather difficult.

If you can't wrap your head around the culture, you're not going to be fully fluent in the language.
Language is communication - if you don't understand who you're talking to, you're not going to communicate well.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6365

Eifa wrote:

Sisco wrote:

Eifa wrote:

I absolutely understand you. I have the same issues at work with Italians too, because there are even less that speak english than Russians it seems, but with Italian I at least understand most of the stuff they tell me, so I can "gesture" what I´m trying to tell them
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Eifa
Never regret anything that ever made you smile.
+923|5893|00770

Sisco wrote:

Eifa wrote:

Sisco wrote:

I absolutely understand you. I have the same issues at work with Italians too, because there are even less that speak english than Russians it seems, but with Italian I at least understand most of the stuff they tell me, so I can "gesture" what I´m trying to tell them
Shahter, don't they teach english at all in russian schools? I'm guessing it would be a lot more easier if all the russian people would just bother to learn how to speak english.. not a difficult language to learn. :S
No, I don't need an attitude adjustment. You just need to fuck off.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6797|Moscow, Russia

Eifa wrote:

Sisco wrote:

Eifa wrote:

Shahter, don't they teach english at all in russian schools? I'm guessing it would be a lot more easier if all the russian people would just bother to learn how to speak english.. not a difficult language to learn. :S
i don't know what they teach in those paces anymore. i had a look at an english exercise book they use recently and it was one big nonsense. what's even funnier is that there's a big debate going on atm about whether or not we should allow religion courses to be included in state schools' program. that's just sad, tbh.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-01-17 00:08:22)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6346|New Haven, CT
Every young person I met in Russia knew English to a passable level, with the exception of one of the program assistants from Siberia. My host family said that older Russians usually don't know how to speak English because it wasn't widely taught in Soviet schools in the 1960s and 1970s, but that it is an important part of a Russian high school curriculum today.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6797|Moscow, Russia

nukchebi0 wrote:

Every young person I met in Russia knew English to a passable level, with the exception of one of the program assistants from Siberia. My host family said that older Russians usually don't know how to speak English because it wasn't widely taught in Soviet schools in the 1960s and 1970s, but that it is an important part of a Russian high school curriculum today.
you were in st.petersburg, moscow and... anywhere else? also, you didn't speak much english to people in the streets - those young people you met were there as part of the program, right?

in soviet schools they taught mostly german, french and english - one to choose from. the course was four years, mandatory for everybody. if anything, in soviet union they taught foreign languages a lot better than now, but there was no real practice for most of the people and it simply "wore off". today you pretty much have to take a tutor or special course - you are not going to learn much in the ways of foreign languages in normal russian state school.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6346|New Haven, CT
The midnight train between St. Petersburg and Moscow? (I really wish we'd taken the Sapsan and not the slow train, because it was impossible to get sleep with the noise and bumpiness of a train ride, and going on a full day of excursions to art museums and historical sites on no sleep was miserable).

In St. Petersburg, I met the two student assistants affiliated with the program, 5 or 6 college aged students unaffiliated with the program, and a mid 20s coworker (and his girlfriend) of my host father. As I said, one assistant knew English while the other didn't, but the rest I met could converse with me in English (and did so because my Russian is awful). In Moscow, I met two college aged girls who knew one of the kids on the trip from Vassar. They spoke very good English, though they'd studied at Vassar for a year, so I don't think they are necessarily representative of the population. My host father took English in college but had forgotten most of it; he was in the process of relearning it when I was there. When we talked about why he was relearning English and his history with studying it, I asked about English in the Russian school system today, and he told me what I mentioned previously. On the street, so to speak, I talked briefly with McDonald's waiters and Дикси cashiers in Russian, and answered directions in Russian, but these were generally older people. I did have one McDonald's server on the 4th of July angrily tell American tourists in front of me that he spoke English, so I ordered from him in English to avoid any further berating, but generally I used Russian when out in St. Petersburg.

Also, does your name mean "miner" in Russian?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard