Boomer1120
Vagine Movie Thread Creator
+105|6741
Anybody have this setup? Was thinking of going this route and wanted to see if anybody had any advice/pointers/walkthrough.

I found this walkthrough from a google search - seems fairly easy to do. 

I've never split my boot from my storage.  Was thinking of going with an Intel 320 SSD, pobably 80gb and drop a 1tb hdd in for storage.

Thanks in advance
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4967|Dundee, Scotland.
Highly recommend the Corsair force series SSDs, should get a 120, there not much more than the 80gb drives on the market.

As for splitting storage, I just do it myself as and when I need to, never had an issue with it.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Boomer1120
+105|6741
Thanks for the SSD suggestion, I like that over the Intel from a price perspective.  Also features SATAIII vs the Intel's SATAII

Here's the build I am looking at:

Mobo: ASRock p67 extreme
CPU: Intel core i7 2600k
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance
GPU: Already have GTX 570
SSD: will use your suggestion
PSU: 1000w overkill - but plan to add some water cooling and possibly another 570
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Last edited by Boomer1120 (2012-01-09 15:14:21)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6689|Devon, England
I have it set up like that, with an OCZ Vertex 3 and a few random HDDs for storage. It's relatively hassle-free. Only thing I remember doing is following some SSD guides for optimal performance, swapping my Windows Library locations to folders made on my storage drives and changing the 'C' to a 'H' when installing programs.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6653

Install OS on SSD. Keep other drive(s) in computer and use them as storage. That's what you want to do right? You don't need a walkthrough or anything. It's as simple as it sounds.
Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6125|So Cal
SSD on your PC is like saving everything on an external drive.
I sometimes forget to install new applications on the hard drive and not the small SS drive.  Got to get used to it i guess.
Have couple questions related to SSD if you're so kind to answer:
... Is Ultimate Win 7 edition that humongous? (55gb or around there) I only have like 15 Gb left on SSD. 
... Do you recommend installing Security Software on SSDrive?
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6791|Jupiter
hard drives are sooooooo expensive right now, not the best time to buy.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Are your boot times really that bad?

You are not going to speed up much else, if you store everything else on the 1Tb.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Boomer1120
+105|6741
I really just want to use the SSD for the boot process and a select few programs that I use often.  My shit is getting slammed when I play BF3.  Personal friend of mine suggested SSD and that he gets amazing load times when gaming. 

Windows 7 64bit should take up about 20gb of space.  On top of that, add in Windows updates, system restore points, etc.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6311

Whatever you do, get something larger than 60GB. I bought one of the earlier 60GB OCZ Vertex SSDs and there just isn't enough room on it. I have Windows 7 x64, drivers, Microsoft Office 2k7 and anti virus software installed and I'm sitting at 8GB of free space.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya
Yeah I have a 160GB OCZ Vetex 2 and I find that is a good size. I personally wouldn't go below ~120GB. I've got Win 7, drivers, main software/games and I've got 40GB free.

I keep the majority of my games and the rest of my applications/documents etc on a 1TB HDD, with another 1TB HDD and a 2TB HDD to store TV shows/movies.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

bugz wrote:

Whatever you do, get something larger than 60GB. I bought one of the earlier 60GB OCZ Vertex SSDs and there just isn't enough room on it. I have Windows 7 x64, drivers, Microsoft Office 2k7 and anti virus software installed and I'm sitting at 8GB of free space.
Office on the SSD?   /facepalm.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6206
Im getting tempted to buy a pair of SSD's and use them for OS, BF3 etc, in RAID MIRROR format which should negate some of the potential  issues with SSD's not being too reliable.
jaymz9350
+54|6576
I use a 60 GB Vertex 2 (51~GB formatted) for my OS (Vista 64) and all apps except games.  I setup the user folders on my storage drive and just remapped the locations to it.  Also I disable hibernation and restore points which save a lot of space.  I still have 16 or so GB left on my SSD with Photo Shop, Office, AV, and other odds and ends on it.  I have a second drive with all my games on it and a third that has all my media and documents.

twoblacklines wrote:

Im getting tempted to buy a pair of SSD's and use them for OS, BF3 etc, in RAID MIRROR format which should negate some of the potential  issues with SSD's not being too reliable.
It would be a lot cheaper to just make backup clones of the SSD every once in a while than to go with RAID 1 on an SSD.

Last edited by jaymz9350 (2012-01-10 03:26:40)

Benzin
+576|5997
Here's my setup:
- 128GB Samsung Series 830 (more reliable than those Sandforce controllers; if you do go Sandforce, though, make sure the FIRST thing you do is update the firmware). On this drive I have MS Office 2010 (wtf is wrong with Office on an SSD?), Win7 Pro x64, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, BF3 and pretty much every single program I run that isn't a game (aside from BF3, obviously).
- 1 500GB HDD that contains all my Steam games and a few installation files.
- 1 1TB HDD that contains all of the data that would otherwise be located in my Libraries on the C: drive. Just a right-click and reassign the Library shortcuts to the appropriate folders on my 1TB and I'm good to go. I used to have everything running off the 1TB, but after I divided everything up, I gained a lot of space.

When buying an SSD, buy as much as you can afford. I would say 120-128GB is the absolute minimum, though. After formatting, my 128 is only a 119GB and I have 50.2GB free at this point. Aside from Steam, though, I run all my programs off the SSD. That's the point of an SSD in making the entire system faster - there's no point in putting just your OS on the SSD because at the end of the day the price difference between a 64 and a 128 isn't that huge at all when you look at the STARTING price of the 64GB.

Besides, when you buy starting at 128GB, you often get a few extra features in the hardware that you otherwise don't get. There are a few special features that Samsung listed as not being available on the smaller Series 830 drive, plus it was too small.

I would also recommend you to get Samsung on the following points: you can update the firmware within Windows, no need to boot from Linux or wipe your data every time there's a firmware update. Just run Samsung's software suite and you're done. Samsung provides you with Norton Ghost software to backup your discs. Samsung also designs its controllers in-house and doesn't rely on a third-party like a lot of the other manufacturers do meaning that if there is a problem with the firmware, it gets fixed a lot faster than it otherwise might. This is exactly the reason why Sandforce controller drives like the OCZ Vertex that everyone is recommending to you above had to live as long as they did with such shitty reliability. Sure the drives were lightning fast because the software makes the most difference with SSDs (algorithms and whatnot), but the OEMs only sold you a drive that had a system critical component that they had absolutely ZERO control over.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

CapnNismo wrote:

Here's my setup:
- 128GB Samsung Series 830 (more reliable than those Sandforce controllers; if you do go Sandforce, though, make sure the FIRST thing you do is update the firmware). On this drive I have MS Office 2010 (wtf is wrong with Office on an SSD?), Win7 Pro x64, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, BF3 and pretty much every single program I run that isn't a game (aside from BF3, obviously).
- 1 500GB HDD that contains all my Steam games and a few installation files.
- 1 1TB HDD that contains all of the data that would otherwise be located in my Libraries on the C: drive. Just a right-click and reassign the Library shortcuts to the appropriate folders on my 1TB and I'm good to go. I used to have everything running off the 1TB, but after I divided everything up, I gained a lot of space.

When buying an SSD, buy as much as you can afford. I would say 120-128GB is the absolute minimum, though. After formatting, my 128 is only a 119GB and I have 50.2GB free at this point. Aside from Steam, though, I run all my programs off the SSD. That's the point of an SSD in making the entire system faster - there's no point in putting just your OS on the SSD because at the end of the day the price difference between a 64 and a 128 isn't that huge at all when you look at the STARTING price of the 64GB.

Besides, when you buy starting at 128GB, you often get a few extra features in the hardware that you otherwise don't get. There are a few special features that Samsung listed as not being available on the smaller Series 830 drive, plus it was too small.

I would also recommend you to get Samsung on the following points: you can update the firmware within Windows, no need to boot from Linux or wipe your data every time there's a firmware update. Just run Samsung's software suite and you're done. Samsung provides you with Norton Ghost software to backup your discs. Samsung also designs its controllers in-house and doesn't rely on a third-party like a lot of the other manufacturers do meaning that if there is a problem with the firmware, it gets fixed a lot faster than it otherwise might. This is exactly the reason why Sandforce controller drives like the OCZ Vertex that everyone is recommending to you above had to live as long as they did with such shitty reliability. Sure the drives were lightning fast because the software makes the most difference with SSDs (algorithms and whatnot), but the OEMs only sold you a drive that had a system critical component that they had absolutely ZERO control over.
Nothing wrong with putting Office on SSD, when you have the drive space.   With only 8GB of SSD free space left, you aren't leaving much room for SSD "cleanup".

I also have a Samsung 830.
Benzin
+576|5997
Ah, so that's what you mean. Yea, I have well over 8GB space left on my SSD, so I won't be having any problems any time soon.
mikkel
+383|6600

Ilocano wrote:

bugz wrote:

Why would you not keep Office on an SSD? Aside from the OS, it's more suited to be stored on an SSD than most other software.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6666

mikkel wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

bugz wrote:

Why would you not keep Office on an SSD? Aside from the OS, it's more suited to be stored on an SSD than most other software.
When you've only got 8GB left on your SSD.  SSD's need "breathing room" for cleanup and longevity.
mikkel
+383|6600
The additional capacity needed for sustainable operation on SSDs isn't presented to the operating system, but is managed solely by the controller. You most certainly do not need to have eight gigabytes free. There's nothing to facepalm about over having Office on an SSD, or running an SSD even with less than a gigabyte free.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard