-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
Screw American cars

I want this! How much can I get one for? Subaru Impreza wrx sti 2004

https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2010/04/23/11/15/2004_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_4_dr_turbo_awd_sedan-pic-4486027392819597435.jpeg
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5702|College Park, MD
all the gold in Fort Knox
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5473|Ventura, California
screw that

they can't be that expensive. The one in that picture is 8 years old. Wonder how it would run...

Newer models on craiglist are under 15k
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Karbin wrote:

Close....... try the accounting dept. Everything HAS to go past them, right down to how many and what type for nuts to hold stuff in place.
Nothing goes through the accounting dept, engineering are given cost targets, that is all.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

One of my roommates in the Army worked for GM in the supply department of a small factory in North Carolina. He drove a Ford Ranger.

Why? Because he said that the parts he received were designed to fail. At the time he worked for them, GM was making twice as much money repairing cars as it was making in sales, so little by little they were cheapening the parts in order to increase repair costs, on purpose. Fucked up operating philosophy, but it seems to me that it's become the standard.

That whole 'they don't make things like they used to' is true. Companies purposely want their product to wear out so that you buy a new one.
People in parts depts have a lot of time to let their imagination run away.

Car companies don't purposely design parts to fail - they'd have their bums sued if they did and that were proven - and they aren't that smart about making profits either.

The parts are designed to be as cheap as possible, preferably cheaper, and just squeak through the design life for the average consumer. Engineer it better than that and you've tried too hard and cost too much. Engineer it worse than that and no-one really cares.
However, 'the average consumer' is the fleet buyer or rental company, who probably won't keep the 'car' longer than 2-3 years.
After that Ford/GM/Chrysler don't give a shit if the thing explodes. Alright not really, but thats their priority. They certainly don't care about operating costs after that point. Cambelt change is a 12 hour engine-out job on a Mondeo? Bad luck.

You need an aftermarket part for a car which is not in current production? You're really out of luck, that tooling has gone to a Mexican in a shed with a dirt floor along with a license to use whatever materials he can salvage from broken TVs.

The problem really is the big three are so management heavy and overheads, including unions, are so high there literally isn't any money left to do real engineering. Management don't want to hear about engineering, its boring and difficult, they want to talk dollars and pie-charts.
Engineers who put their time into engineering will remain at a low level within the company, trying to get any engineering done is a thankless task and gets no management attention, people have to get up from their desks to help you get stuff done and they find that annoying - especially if they're asleep or managing their stock portfolio.

Two fellow engineers on my team had total mental breakdowns while I was there, its not really a lot of fun.

So what do engineers do? Spend as little time on the engineering as possible (its literally impossible to engineer the product and do the paperwork, usually the timing plan doesn't even allow proper engineering of the product - you need to test it? What kind of engineer are you?), bury any problems at least deep enough that they aren't found out until after they've switched into a nice mgmt job - there'll never be any comeback - say 4-5 years into the product life when no-one gives a fuck, providing the paperwork is in order and its someone elses problem, preferably the supplier's, its OK.

The theory really is, "if we get the parts cheap, we'll be able to sell the car for the same price and make more profit" never mind that people won't buy it because its crap.

The Germans and the Japanese have an understanding that 'its the product, stupid', everything else flows from that, and hence they make an effort to make good products which work well and have good resale values which in turn supports the sale price.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-01-10 02:02:49)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And then they come up with ideas like this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16446534
General Motors' (GM) luxury marque Cadillac kicked off this year's Detroit motor show with the unveiling of its ATS model.

GM wants the ATS to win a big part of the market for what the car industry calls compact luxury cars.

In other words, not the big limos, or the low-slung sports cars, but standard, maybe even small, family-sized cars that nonetheless have plenty of glitz, comfort and power.

"There's nothing like competing at the highest level to sharpen the best edge in people," says GM chief executive officer Dan Akerson.

The problem for GM is that that is not the sort of car that Americans have been much good at making.

The Europeans, however, have.

So much so that even though Cadillac remains a byword for luxury and style here, the US market for flash cars is one in which Cadillac was long ago overtaken by foreign rivals.

"We need to face one fact," says Don Butler, head of Cadillac marketing. "The cars that have achieved consistent success in the segment have been European cars and then more specifically, they've been German."
Yup, stick some leather seats and metallic paint on that thing and you've got a BMW
rdx-fx
+955|6591

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Now you have me curious... Is that really only local brainwashing, or is New York just exempt? How many of you see that where you are at? Anyone outside of the Midwest/Southwest area see the "Buy American Cars or you are not American" attitude?
Wisconsin, Montana, and Alaska - nobody thinks twice if you're driving a Subaru.
They just make sense for the conditions found in those places.
iceman785
+93|6672|Alaska, mother fucker.

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Screw American cars

Careful  with these. The sti has a pretty good tranny, if its the 6 speed then its absolutely solid. But the 5 speed the WRX's come with... Couple AWD launches and you can kiss that tranny good bye.

Also the insurance for a male your age is gonna be around 220+ a month... 

But they get pretty decent gas milage if you don't hammer it all the time.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
you said "tranny"
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6388|New York
My VW Jetta lease is up in May, and I'm seriously considering purchasing the Subaru Outback with everything except the leather seats and moonroof (with 170 hp Subaru Boxer 4 cylinder engine for the better gas mileage).

I was considering the Ford Escape as well, but I get a lot more for my money with the Subaru. Based on what I've heard, Subaru's seem to be really solid cars with good reliability.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Jay wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

I think it has all been a marketing ploy... Look at the new Taurus... It jumped from being a $18K vehicle to what? $40K? It is a damn Taurus, not a Caddy...

BUT

Buy another U.S. made vehicle for $25K, and you will be replacing it in another 5-7 years... And then in 5-7 more... But you will still only buy American, because you are a Commy bastard if you don't.

I think we are only starting to get out of the brainwashing phase and into the "What is really the best product for the money?" phase...

So buy a higher end, more expensive U.S. vehicle and it will last longer... Or buy the crap at the bottom and complain when it doesn't last as long. Then repeat. OR, look for a better product elsewhere at a better price.

Seriously, stop supporting bad products... You only encourage them...
Dude, that's 100% a Midwestern/Southern mindset. Seeing an American car on the road in the NYC area is so rare you can almost play 'punch buggy' with them. People around here generally don't get blinded by patriotism the way y'all do.
Now you have me curious... Is that really only local brainwashing, or is New York just exempt? How many of you see that where you are at? Anyone outside of the Midwest/Southwest area see the "Buy American Cars or you are not American" attitude?
Here in NC, there's a pretty wide variety.  Japanese cars probably outnumber all of the others, but people don't generally seem to care overall.

Certain brands seem to specialize though.  Most pickup trucks here are American, and most compacts are Japanese. SUVs and sedans seem to be evenly mixed.  The funny thing is that we don't have as many European cars.  The majority of BMWs and Mercedes in my area are usually at least 5 years old and driven by mostly black people.  Most of the luxury vehicles here are either Lexus or Infiniti.

Korean cars are gaining popularity here too.  Kia and Hyundai are fairly common.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
We don't have that attitude in the DC area. Lots of Japanese cars; LOTS of them. Whole lotta Subarus for the granola yuppie / outdoorsy family crowds. Many European cars too.

You definitely never encounter something like in Gran Torino where someone resents you for not buying an American vehicle.

Besides, the most American vehicle is the Toyota Camry.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
I see tons of Mercedes (mostly Jews) and Lexus and BMW. The only American cars I see are like mid-90s shitbox beaters. Even the hispanics all drive toyotas
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6388|New York

Turquoise wrote:

HITNRUNXX wrote:

Jay wrote:

Dude, that's 100% a Midwestern/Southern mindset. Seeing an American car on the road in the NYC area is so rare you can almost play 'punch buggy' with them. People around here generally don't get blinded by patriotism the way y'all do.
Here in NC, there's a pretty wide variety.  Japanese cars probably outnumber all of the others, but people don't generally seem to care overall.

Certain brands seem to specialize though.  Most pickup trucks here are American, and most compacts are Japanese. SUVs and sedans seem to be evenly mixed.  The funny thing is that we don't have as many European cars.  The majority of BMWs and Mercedes in my area are usually at least 5 years old and driven by mostly black people.  Most of the luxury vehicles here are either Lexus or Infiniti.

Korean cars are gaining popularity here too.  Kia and Hyundai are fairly common.
In the NYC area, you see a lot of German cars, and new ones too. Audis, Mercedes, BMWs, VWs, all over the place. I even see the occasional Bently and Maserati. Walking from my apartment to my car parked on the street, I passed a new Mercedes, BMW, and VW CC, all parked on the street. There are also a lot of Lexus and Infinitis on the road.

Again, no real animosity towards non-American cars, as it's pretty much the minority in the NYC area.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
rdx-fx
+955|6591

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Screw American cars

iceman785 wrote:

Careful  with these. The sti has a pretty good tranny, if its the 6 speed then its absolutely solid. But the 5 speed the WRX's come with... Couple AWD launches and you can kiss that tranny good bye.

Also the insurance for a male your age is gonna be around 220+ a month... 

But they get pretty decent gas milage if you don't hammer it all the time.
QFE

strong grippy AWD and tuned turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission & drivetrain if you're abusive in the driver seat.
Strong engine/turbo and huge traction from the AWD system will eat the parts in between them, if the driver tells them to.

Normal to spirited driving, they're immensely reliable (my 1996 has over 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission)
Start doing clutch dumps, missing gear shifts, over-RPM launches, or otherwise wanna-be Speed Racer bullshit, you'll break it.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5913|...

B's family is an auto working fam(on both his Mom's and Dad's side).  So, it's quietly frowned upon to buy non GM or Ford.  But, the great thing is we all get decent deals on new cars. 

We have recently been looking into our options on new cars.  We need something small, dependable and good on gas.  Our "best" option is the Focus...hmmm.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
i want a cadillac
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

eleven bravo wrote:

i want a cadillac
with spinning rims?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
and hydraulics
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
spinning rims are so late 90's early 00's

Last edited by eleven bravo (2012-01-10 08:43:54)

Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
dennis would turn it into a lowrider
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

tuckergustav wrote:

B's family is an auto working fam(on both his Mom's and Dad's side).  So, it's quietly frowned upon to buy non GM or Ford.  But, the great thing is we all get decent deals on new cars. 

We have recently been looking into our options on new cars.  We need something small, dependable and good on gas.  Our "best" option is the Focus...hmmm.
focus is a good car, and apparently you get the same version we do now. look at any of them 1.8 bigger, or ST/RS if you like that kind of car.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

gonna play that 24/7 when I buy a car

e: yeah the new Focus is really good. I also recently drove an '11 Chevy Malibu and it was pretty darn good.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2012-01-10 08:50:14)

rdx-fx
+955|6591

eleven bravo wrote:

i want a cadillac
Escalade, 30" rims with about 1" of tire on them?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard