Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
you're talking about graffiti being enmeshed in this 'urban' subculture, which i mentioned on the last page. that's one of the reasons that the form/medium of graffiti (which has radical avant-garde potential) will never break into the mainstream of artistic success, imo. it's way too fringe and niche and is too heavily associated with urban identity and a particular brand of urban culture, i.e. its hip-hop ghetto roots.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6817|PNW

Wreckognize wrote:

Uzique wrote:

the purest art form? are you kidding? i'm not debating art/vandalism cause i think you're right, there... but the purest art form? spraying your name on a wall is 'purer' than a sonata? okay dude. keep blazin'.
Ok, maybe graff doesn't compare to a sonata, but I'd still consider it one of the purest modern art forms.  Graffiti is a mode of creative self expression with a variety of aesthetic techniques and most often not done for monetary compensation.  It's free and publicly accessible, if you know where to look.  Some gradd artists make it big and do gallery shows, but the real gallery is in the streets.  Any cunt can write their name on a wall, but developing a unique handstyle and differentiating yourself from other writers is an artistic endeavor as legitimate and intensive as any other.
I would be pretty irritated if someone keyed etched a masterpiece into my truck's paint job without permission. Wouldn't care if it was the Mona f*n Lisa. Lack of permission is one of the things I think holds graffiti back from wider recognition.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
what the hell is public property? it all belongs to someone. an 'industrial wall' is property. even walls in public spaces belong to the local civic authority. there's no such thing as a 'free' wall or a crimeless graffiti spot (unless it's the special areas set-up especially for it)
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5403|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

Ok, maybe graff doesn't compare to a sonata, but I'd still consider it one of the purest modern art forms.  Graffiti is a mode of creative self expression with a variety of aesthetic techniques and most often not done for monetary compensation.  It's free and publicly accessible, if you know where to look.  Some gradd artists make it big and do gallery shows, but the real gallery is in the streets.  Any cunt can write their name on a wall, but developing a unique handstyle and differentiating yourself from other writers is an artistic endeavor as legitimate and intensive as any other.
For every 'street Picasso' there are thousands of wanbabes destroying property values and covering cities in shit. Graffiti artists should be given the same prison sentences as thieves.
Lots of places in California have 'free public expression' spaces where graffiti artists can paint with no worry about repurcussions from destroying people's private property. Sure, there will be people who tag everywhere but its a step in the right direction, and at the very least gives some sort of separation between vandals and aspiring artists.
That's perfectly fine. I don't see that as any different from having a public art studio. I just despise the people that walk around with a sharpie in their pocket and feel the need to deface whatever they come in contact with. I once had an argument with a guy that believed that he had the right to tag any piece of public property that he wished, "because, like, everyone owns it, I'm just messing up my own stuff"
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6817|PNW

Yeah. "Held in public trust" doesn't really mean "held just for you, crackhead."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6151|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

it's a huge difference, just one that dilbert doesn't understand. patronage exists completely outside the forces of the market
So when has it existed? Does it exist now? I doubt it does or ever has.

- dilbert i think you're confusing what the medici-type system of 'commission' entailed. it was more to do with values of esteem, honour, aiming for posterity/immortality than being interested in the actual money-exchange. the money in former pre-capitalist times was merely for subsistence, not profit. likewise the artist accepted a commission because it would exalt his artwork and convey a sense of social prestige upon his work. this is much, much different from the 20th/21st century equivalent of a commission which basically boils down to 'here's a design brief/specification, and here's a contract promising you a  lot of money in exchange'. exchange-value.
I think you're not understanding, artists accepted patronage/commission so they'd have a roof over their head and food and water - not as a sop to their egos.

Just as 'patrons' gave out patronage/commission to boost their egos and social standing - not so much that they believed in art.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
'patronage' is roughly equated with art's existence in the times of early market systems... it was courtly, not based on money. sure financial arrangements were made but money was not the object, as the phrase goes. in analytical terms this is, as i said, a change from 'use-value' of art to 'exchange-value' - and when you assign an exchange-value to an object or profession, it becomes commodified/serviced, and begins to be traded because of its potential value on the market, not it's inherent value in-itself. does that make sense? sure patronage involved money in the practical everyday sense, but it wasn't about money. a modern day commision is all about money. in cynical terms, you could say that the only reason people buy and collect art nowadays is because it's worth a lot of money; the market-value subsumes the actual object.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-22 00:14:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It may not initially have been about money, it was more about board and lodging - most jobs were back then.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5798|Roma
Kandinsky
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5747|College Park, MD

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

For every 'street Picasso' there are thousands of wanbabes destroying property values and covering cities in shit. Graffiti artists should be given the same prison sentences as thieves.
Lots of places in California have 'free public expression' spaces where graffiti artists can paint with no worry about repurcussions from destroying people's private property. Sure, there will be people who tag everywhere but its a step in the right direction, and at the very least gives some sort of separation between vandals and aspiring artists.
That's perfectly fine. I don't see that as any different from having a public art studio. I just despise the people that walk around with a sharpie in their pocket and feel the need to deface whatever they come in contact with. I once had an argument with a guy that believed that he had the right to tag any piece of public property that he wished, "because, like, everyone owns it, I'm just messing up my own stuff"
the worst is that most graffiti is just dumb [word redacted] writing their name or gang. its like... fuck off you dumb piece of shit, don't deface property if all you're gonna do is put some ugly fucking made-up name (my favorite was a butchered spelling of "annihilator"). you're not banksy.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
eleven bravo
+1,399|5304|foggy bottom
i didnt know who banksy was until i read it in this forum
Tu Stultus Es
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6434
I might have seen the movie first
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
banksy is a local boy to where i live. his stuff was around in the streets for years before this whole international infamy stuff.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5304|foggy bottom
my first arrest was for tagging.  I was 15.  I completely forgot about it until I was applying for my secret clearence and the investigator asked me why i didnt include that in my criminal history for the packet.  the shit you hear about juvenile records being deleted after a certain amount of years is total and complete bullshit.
Tu Stultus Es
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6782|Oxferd Ohire
if youre a minority
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Wreckognize
+294|6530

Uzique wrote:

banksy is a local boy to where i live. his stuff was around in the streets for years before this whole international infamy stuff.
What do you think of the whole Banksy vs. Robbo beef?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
i don't care enough but i've heard of it, and i've passed by that one spot on camden lock. it's in a trendy hipster area and the only people that give a fuck about banksy here cause he's so 'cool' are trendy hipsters. i was talking about his artwork in bristol, back when he was an unknown and just sprayed interesting/witty stuff around the town. bristol is probably the most graffiti'd city in the uk though and oozes urban/reggae/dub/trip-hop culture (think massive attack and portishead) so banksy wasn't that controversial there. /shrug.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-22 14:15:40)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6677|949

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

the worst is that most graffiti is just dumb [word redacted] writing their name or gang. its like... fuck off you dumb piece of shit, don't deface property if all you're gonna do is put some ugly fucking made-up name (my favorite was a butchered spelling of "annihilator"). you're not banksy.
You're confusing graffiti (lowercase 'g') with Graffiti (uppercase 'G').

Banksy is gay
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

bristol is probably the most graffiti'd city in the uk though and oozes urban/reggae/dub/trip-hop culture (think massive attack and portishead) so banksy wasn't that controversial there. /shrug.
In other words its a shithole.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
i think bristol is really nice, actually. it has the old town and fancy shopping areas if that's what you're into: generic middle-class zone 101. bristol has a real character and identity. it's the most vibrant city in the united kingdom, as far as i'm concerned. the people are happier and cheerier than in london, where everyone is pissed off and grudging. bristol also is probably the only other city in the uk with a seriously good music scene, and the rest of the arts are really vibrant too. the council is very forward looking so it's a great place for all sorts of arts and entertainment. this last year they let a disused retail/industrial space get totally graffiti'd over by professional artists: a whole street as a canvas. reminds me of brighton a bit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Just as long as its not Lewisham.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
your train of thought makes no sense what so fucking ever. are you just spouting random places now? bristol and lewisham have no relation in any way.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
urban/reggae/dub/trip-hop culture
Just comparing urban hell-holes.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6515
bristol to lewisham? i mean really? the only thing they have in common is that they're both large and built up. every city has 'urban' areas where that sort of sub/counter-culture thrives. bristol just has a really good one that is really vibrant and feels like a proper community. people congregate around record stores. everyone knows everyone. it has a good atmosphere-- the black/urban population in bristol have been there for longer than most of the whites (think of the slave trade). it's hardly like an angry south london borough full of pissed off gangs that have to live on the doorstep of the richest white wankers in europe. completely different sort of place. i doubt you've ever been.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard