R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6479|Melbourne

Hi,

I've recently gotten a hold of a home cinema set-up minus a sub-woofer. Now I currently have it set up as follows;

The 4 home cinema speakers (wired) plug into the dvd player/(amp?) I then have the dvd player running aux RCA cables to my old creative 2.1 sub-woofer via the left/right speaker jacks on the back, then the regular 3.5mm audio cable from the sub to the front speaker jack on my mobo (realtek).

When I play anything through the speakers the right speaker seems louder then all the rest, yet I can hear a feint noise from each one with music etc. Although, in one round of bf3 I could hear clearly the sound of my rifle firing in certain spots in the map through a rear speaker. When I run a test through the config I can't hear any sound from the rear speakers.

So, what I'm asking is, is it possible to run essentially 4.1 through this little config I have? I tried to run it via the Optical out jacks on each, but it didn't work. My guess is because they are both out/out not out/in.

Thanks for any help,
Jared.

Note:
The dvd player is 5.1, I have the centre speaker and the sub but I'm missing the cable for the sub and I don't have a sport for the centre speaker, so it's not connected.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

This sounds like a bit of an oddball setup, and could depend on the limitations of your DVD player and/or your subwoofer. Two things I would try would be seeing if stereo will function properly with a 2.1 setup. I'd also try removing the subwoofer from the equation.

I'd also recommend picking up a cheap 5.1 receiver from a thrift store and hooking your PC up to it via HDMI (if it won't cause lag; varies), then using a RCA/3.5mm y-adapter for the sub. You could add a fifth speaker while you're at it.

edit - captain obvious, but my setup's something like this (minus a few switches):

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/ex1.gif
R3v4n
+433|6479|Melbourne

Thanks for the reply mate. Quick question, if I get a Y split plug (2 RCA to 3.5) for the aux out and plug that directly into the mobo, will it play as 5.1? (adding the home cinema centre & sub) My video card doesn't have a HDMI port (it's a 4870X2)

Here's image of my idea

https://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4315/fig1w.jpg

Last edited by R3v4n (2011-12-19 00:13:52)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6734|FUCK UBISOFT

your mobo only outputs stereo.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
R3v4n
+433|6479|Melbourne

Are you sure? It has front, centre, side and rear jacks. That would lead me to believe it's capable of surround sound. Or are you referring to the single jack?
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6734|FUCK UBISOFT

just looking at the picture it looks like you're taking RCA L and R from the single 3.5mm TRS speaker port on your mobo, which would only be stereo.

If your mobo has multiple 3.5mm ports for each channel then it would support surround, but I'm not sure where the RCA y cable comes in then.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

R3v4n wrote:

Are you sure? It has front, centre, side and rear jacks. That would lead me to believe it's capable of surround sound. Or are you referring to the single jack?
If your DVD player has something like a Dolby Pro-Logic decoder, it should be able to upconvert stereo input to surround. If not, a receiver should be able to do it for you.

Alternatively, you should be able to use a DVI->HDMI adaptor on the 4870 to get your audio. One should've been packed with your card, but they're cheap enough.

If your current audio output has these colors, you could try for surround this way:

green - front LR
orange - sub
grey - 2x side
black - rear

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard