ts-pulsar
+54|6504
SVD has gotta be my favorite gun in the game, took me a long time to discover how to use it properly, but once I did I started getting insane amounts of kills per round.  It works pretty well out to about 200m, but I actually prefer to use it within 50m, and i really have no minimum range.  I've been known to get up on the hill on the left side of karkand above the US spawn point and run out of ammo killing all the guys running up there.

Rule of thumb, don't try to aim for the head unless they are perfectly still, it takes up more time than it would take to just shoot three shots on the chest.

I think my best round with the SVD was IO karkand, US had taken everything on the other side of the river and there was some damn good fighting trying to keep them confined.  I wound up with over 80 kills and only 5 deaths.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6622|Mhz

RiceKrispie wrote:

Myth: The SVD is a sniper rifle

Fact: The SVD is a mid-long range assault rifle
Actually it's a heavily modified assault rifle for support marksmen, not really an assault rifle at all but not really a sniper rifle of the purest sense either, it's basis is indeed an assault rifle though. It's meant for people to go around with a squad picking off the people they cant quite shoot, as opposed to 'real' sniper rifles meant for sniper+spotter pairs.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6680|Middle of nowhere
i don't know why, but i prefer the Type 88 WAY more than the SVD, even though in essence they are relatively the same type of Sniper rifle

o well
David.P
Banned
+649|6276

genius_man16 wrote:

i don't know why, but i prefer the Type 88 WAY more than the SVD, even though in essence they are relatively the same type of Sniper rifle

o well
You probably like the crosshairs better.
psH
Banned
+217|6385|Sydney

Erwin_Rommel188 wrote:

I wonder ... could putting physical crosshairs on your computer screen allow you to shoot from the hip like that?

Anyway, it could be a hack.  It's hard to prove though.
LOL i remember doing that in K/P servers...lmao.

While i was playing Reality i had no trouble without a crosshair, all this BF2 playing gave me a memory of where everything is.
RiceKrispie
+27|6390|Ottawa, ON

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

RiceKrispie wrote:

Actually it's a heavily modified assault rifle for support marksmen, not really an assault rifle at all but not really a sniper rifle of the purest sense either, it's basis is indeed an assault rifle though. It's meant for people to go around with a squad picking off the people they cant quite shoot, as opposed to 'real' sniper rifles meant for sniper+spotter pairs.
uh, yeah...

I was actually just joking around about it's effectiveness as an AR and it's shitiness as a pure sniping rifle.
AudioAtomica
+53|6252

ts-pulsar wrote:

Rule of thumb, don't try to aim for the head unless they are perfectly still, it takes up more time than it would take to just shoot three shots on the chest.

WTF are you serious. The SVD is headshotting MACHINE. ALWAYS aim for the head ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Only tards wast a whole clip on 1 or 2 guys, when I can waste it on 8.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6597|Toronto-Canada
th SVD pwns at mid-range shot.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6622|Mhz

RiceKrispie wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

RiceKrispie wrote:

uh, yeah...

I was actually just joking around about it's effectiveness as an AR and it's shitiness as a pure sniping rifle.
jokin or not you were technically right And it's not a shit sniper rifle, people are just shit with it.
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6324|Orrstrayleea
Z0mG 1t$ 7eH HaX0rZZZZ
ts-pulsar
+54|6504

AudioAtomica wrote:

ts-pulsar wrote:

WTF are you serious. The SVD is headshotting MACHINE. ALWAYS aim for the head ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS. Only tards wast a whole clip on 1 or 2 guys, when I can waste it on 8.
I'm not gonna take the time to aim for there head when I'm only 20 ft away and they are shooting at me, which is how I usually use the SVD.  I could give a rats ass about ammo, I've usually got a support character near by if I have to reload, or if worse comes to worse I'll just pick up another gun.

And BTW, a real SVD using the right ammunition is capable of doing half inch groups at 100 yards.  That's the same accuracy that is required of the M24/M40 to pass inspection.  It's not really considered a sniper rifle simply because the Soviet Union/Russians doesn't really use snipers in the same since the west does.  They tend to send out one man with an SVD per platoon to take the shots that the machine guns and the AK's can't make.

Oddly enough the US is beginning to adopt the same sort of platoon set up.  Sending out men with scoped M14s to take the shots that the M16s and the machine guns can't make.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6680|Middle of nowhere

David.Podedworny wrote:

genius_man16 wrote:

o well
actually i did for awhile, but then i realized that the SVD crosshair is the same as for the MEC tank, and i like that crosshair the best out of all the tanks.... lol

so i think it's just that i can't pwn with the SVD like i can with the Type 88 (however, it does have a bitchin crosshair
psH
Banned
+217|6385|Sydney

genius_man16 wrote:

David.Podedworny wrote:

genius_man16 wrote:

o well
actually i did for awhile, but then i realized that the SVD crosshair is the same as for the MEC tank, and i like that crosshair the best out of all the tanks.... lol

so i think it's just that i can't pwn with the SVD like i can with the Type 88 (however, it does have a bitchin crosshair
That just gace me an idea.

Why hasn't somebody made a mod where you can MOD your weapons before the game? like 2142, but you can change the colour, camo, crosshair style, calibre of bullets....and have a big deathmatch...like in karkand but its only between the hotel and the gas station...

Dam i wish i was smart enough to mod things...
CloakedStarship
+76|6567

Erwin_Rommel188 wrote:

I wonder ... could putting physical crosshairs on your computer screen allow you to shoot from the hip like that?

Anyway, it could be a hack.  It's hard to prove though.
I am one of the people that tried that for counter strike.  Inefficient to say the least.  The only way it would work is if you were sitting DIRECTLY in front of your computer, if you shifted slightly to the left or right, then it wouldn't work.  In either case, no-scope shot deviation messed it up anyway.

I can't figure out the SVD, people tell me the actual bullet doesn't land in the center of the scope, but slightly up and to the right of the center.  Which would make sense because centered shots to the face don't hit.  Either way i cant do crap with it.  Type 88 is much better IMO, I love it.  It turns wake infantry battles into more kills for me
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6623|Gold coast, Aus.
The SVD is pathetically easy to use, probly someone with lots of experience.
montypythizzle
+21|6605
only reason people are turning to sniper rifles IS>>>
nades in karkand
whoever fucks bf2 over please just turn off the nades

btw i own with the svd in a k&p server
haha they sit there with their pistols trying to kill me lol yeah ok you will get me keep trying this is only your tenth spawn

hey or just sit at a spawn and just use svd like a saw !!!! spam bullets and get kills OH YEAH!!!

Last edited by montypythizzle (2007-03-25 01:05:54)

Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6629|Warlord

Doms wrote:

...and have a big deathmatch...like in karkand but its only between the hotel and the gas station...
And this would be a good thing how? Man, I'm surprised that area of ground isn't worn down to the machine code by now LOL

CloakedStarship wrote:

I can't figure out the SVD, people tell me the actual bullet doesn't land in the center of the scope, but slightly up and to the right of the center.  Which would make sense because centered shots to the face don't hit.  Either way i cant do crap with it.
This might help:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/SVD.png

Down and to the right as you can see, although just a fraction. You could try the same thing with whatever screen resolution you use.

CloakedStarship wrote:

Type 88 is much better IMO, I love it.  It turns wake infantry battles into more kills for me
Yep, I agree it's much easier to aim with. Here's why:

https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Todd_Angelo/Type88.png 

Great crosshair, one of the best in fact.
keyoshi
+28|6422
hehe could you do that with the M95?? ^ I have an ass load of trouble in SF trying to hit guys with that stupid thing.

BTW, SVD is an awesome rifle. 20v20 IO Ghost Town, 28-0 w/ SVD. That was the whole round though...the SAS team sucked, and never capped to the point where their tickets stopped counting down......

SVD is also very good for close range...I remember a lot of times in karkand where a SAW or PKM noob would come up, I would zoom in, fire off as many shots as possible, end up alive, but with only 2 bars of health..but hey, your still alive
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6629|Warlord

keyoshi wrote:

hehe could you do that with the M95?? ^ I have an ass load of trouble in SF trying to hit guys with that stupid thing.
I know just what you mean (some of it won't be your fault!)

Here's the original thread I posted the scope pics in, see post #23:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=810832#p810832
AudioAtomica
+53|6252

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Hey, I know you.

+1.
RD_The_Dog
+87|6539
SVD for less than 100m, otherwise it's m24/l96. 

SVD definately one of my favourite guns
MrE`158
+103|6625
On the sniper rifle/assault rifle thing, technically, the SVD is neither, it's a "Designated Marksman Rifle", designed (as someone said before) to provide medium range accurate fire as a squad support weapon.  The reason it's such a strange category is that there are very, very few rifles designed specifically for this role. 

The majority of weapons used by Designated Marksmen (i.e. the "squad-sniper") are accurised versions of previously existing assault or battle rifles.  Think about Barry Peppers character in Saving Private Ryan, the rifle he had was a modified version of an older rifle (an M-14, I think), with a scope attached.  The current for the US army is based off the M-16, and I think they jsut refer to it as the SDM-R (squad designated mardksman rifle). The SVD is unusual because it's not a rebuilt version of something else, it was designed from the ground up as a DMR, and there are only a handful of weapons like that around (I guess the Type 88 is too, but I don't know much about it).

Going waaay back to the original post:  If someone was really, really good with the SVD, they could certainly do what you're describing.  Don't forget that you might have been under UAV, or just spotted by someone, so perhaps he knows where you are too.  In a case like that, someone good at quick-shotting will win, since the SVD's 40 damage is more than enough to get a one-hit-kill via headshot, and the LMGs can be tricky to nail someone with if they're close, especially the PKM with its fairly low rate of fire.  In all likelyhood, this is what happened, he was just really, really good, and skilled at picking out a target and putting a bullet through their head.  Of course, it could have been a hacker, and the SVD is probably the best choice of weapon for aimbots, with its headshot kills combined with excellent accuracy, scope and rapid fire.  But odds are against it.
AudioAtomica
+53|6252

MrE`158 wrote:

On the sniper rifle/assault rifle thing, technically, the SVD is neither, it's a "Designated Marksman Rifle", designed (as someone said before) to provide medium range accurate fire as a squad support weapon.  The reason it's such a strange category is that there are very, very few rifles designed specifically for this role. 

The majority of weapons used by Designated Marksmen (i.e. the "squad-sniper") are accurised versions of previously existing assault or battle rifles.  Think about Barry Peppers character in Saving Private Ryan, the rifle he had was a modified version of an older rifle (an M-14, I think), with a scope attached.  The current for the US army is based off the M-16, and I think they jsut refer to it as the SDM-R (squad designated mardksman rifle). The SVD is unusual because it's not a rebuilt version of something else, it was designed from the ground up as a DMR, and there are only a handful of weapons like that around (I guess the Type 88 is too, but I don't know much about it).

Going waaay back to the original post:  If someone was really, really good with the SVD, they could certainly do what you're describing.  Don't forget that you might have been under UAV, or just spotted by someone, so perhaps he knows where you are too.  In a case like that, someone good at quick-shotting will win, since the SVD's 40 damage is more than enough to get a one-hit-kill via headshot, and the LMGs can be tricky to nail someone with if they're close, especially the PKM with its fairly low rate of fire.  In all likelyhood, this is what happened, he was just really, really good, and skilled at picking out a target and putting a bullet through their head.  Of course, it could have been a hacker, and the SVD is probably the best choice of weapon for aimbots, with its headshot kills combined with excellent accuracy, scope and rapid fire.  But odds are against it.
That yin-yang Gif in your sig is trippy.
David.P
Banned
+649|6276
Hey guys i actually put some crosshairs on my monitor and went on al basrah with the svd my god! It was awesome! I kept getting so many kills at close range people thought i had an aimbot! Be back soon gonna try it out on warlord.
ethrion
+25|6395|Hong Kong @ the moment
First time I ever used the Type-88 was on Great Wall and I ended up getting 38 kills 1 death. It was a 34 kill streak too! I like that gun

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard