unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Imagine working hard to have a career, buy a house, and start a family.

Then radicalized Israel drops a bomb on your head because of a war that happened before your parents were even born.

Spawncamped for 70 years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Why are jews still moaning and reminding people about the holocaust? That was three generations ago.

Why are 'Israelis' still moaning about being defeated by the Romans 2,000 years ago. Time to accept your lot and move on.

Interesting that literally every example of Hamas' actions the Israelis are holding up as proof that Hamas are 'evil and inhumane' has provably been done by the Israelis earlier and on a larger scale.

"Abducting and torturing children is pure evil, we must slaughter every last member of Hamas"

Palestinian children in the Israel military detention system face physical and emotional abuse, with four out of five (86%) of them being beaten, and 69% strip-searched, according to new research by Save the Children.

Nearly half (42%) are injured at the point of arrest, including gunshot wounds and broken bones. Some report violence of a sexual nature and some are transferred to court or between detention centres in small cages, the child rights organisation said.

The new research comes as the UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967 presents evidence today to the Human Rights Council on Palestinian children in detention. It is estimated that there are between 500 and 1000 children held in Israeli military detention each year.
https://www.savethechildren.org.au/medi … search-rev
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Minimisation of the Holocaust is probably the wrong angle. There are people alive who were born in Nazi concentration camps, and the generational trauma of so many lives uprooted in such a manner doesn't just go away.

The Holocaust as a shield for Israel, also poor.

I did also mention earlier, again, that Israel ≠ Jews. An important distinction. Using the word with the intent to slur Israel is small-minded and (unlike simply criticising Israel) actually a bit anti-Semitic.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
I sympathize with the Israeli desire for revenge after being attacked but all of this other stuff is too much.

I don't care about "Jews originally being from the area" the same way I don't care about Native American claims to the U.S.

Frankly, the "appeal to originality" sounds really racist. It reminds me of white people getting upset about Confederate monuments being torn down. That may seem like an odd comparison but it is the vein as "our culture was here before you. You have to respect it."

In this case, "respect" means taking Palestinian land to settle on. The shamelessness of the Israelis to violently take land while also trying to guilt trip us all about a "Jewish homeland." I don't care whether they have a homeland or not. I don't care if they have to kill people to get their homeland back either. Both sides can put on a good show but I really don't want to hear demands for sympathy or donations from either. Especially from Israelis.

And the people on reddit who are really invested in Hamas being destroyed are weird. Yeah, Islamic Terrorism is bad and all that but this Islamic Terrorism is in their part of the world. Far far away from America in a place that doesn't matter to us. They don't even have oil or anything. They are fighting over tourist traps.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

it's been 162 years since the end of the confederacy. the confederacy, not even recognized: lasted for four. 2% of the time that's passed since its end. gift store confederate nostalgia is more historied than the confederacy. different animal than israel and stuff like mussolini whining about heirship to the roman empire or whatever.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Minimisation of the Holocaust is probably the wrong angle. There are people alive who were born in Nazi concentration camps, and the generational trauma of so many lives uprooted in such a manner doesn't just go away.
Well the argument from the Israelis is always "Pfft Palestinians lost their land 75 years ago, time to stop being so petty and move on"

I did also mention earlier, again, that Israel ≠ Jews. An important distinction. Using the word with the intent to slur Israel is small-minded and (unlike simply criticising Israel) actually a bit anti-Semitic.
Well yes and no.
Israel was always intended to be an exclusively jewish state - I guess they're about 90% there and will be 100% as soon as they can achieve it.
They get pretty well blanket support and use of influence from jews outside Israel.

So obviously not every jew is a zionist zealot but enough Israelis voted for Netanyahu and enough of the diaspora support zionism and Israel in whatever they do that its not entirely unfair to conflate Israel and "the jews"

"The muslim world" is used unthinkingly to include Sunni, Shia, multiple countries.
"The jews" isn't an unreasonable blanket term.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

I just feel like most reasonable people are able to individually recognize the fact that the Holocaust sucked and shouldn't be used to justify genocidal ideology. That most reasonable people are able to refer to Israel as Israel and not The Jews in the heaviest blanket like they got out of a TED Talk with Henry Ford.

It's funny hearing mention of support for Israel from Jews abroad, specifically. Meanwhile, Israel gets support from nations.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
If you want to criticize Jews living outside Israel for supporting the country, you have to also criticize Arabs living outside the Levant who have strong feelings about what happens there.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

Incredibly insightful
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Meanwhile, Israel gets support from nations.
Well, pretty much only America

US10bn to Israel

U$100m to Gaza
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

European leaders pledge support for Israel, condemn Hamas and halt Palestinian aid
https://www.npr.org/2023/10/09/12046625 … tinian-aid

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2023/10/09/gettyimages-1724675878-1b35cc19385286d86fb066d7bab38a71f8af42df-s900-c85.webp
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Public support for Palestinian rights and sympathy for the Palestinian cause, according to surveys, has been stronger in some European countries than it is in the United States. One poll published in July by the company YouGov found that, of people in European countries with opinions about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there was a greater tendency to side with the Palestinians. The exception was Germany, where respondents were almost evenly split on the issue.

More Europeans are pro-palestine than pro-israel.

Sunak is going to lose the next election and needs to suck up to the US right wing for his next gig.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721

Dilbert_X wrote:

Public support for Palestinian rights and sympathy for the Palestinian cause, according to surveys, has been stronger in some European countries than it is in the United States. One poll published in July by the company YouGov found that, of people in European countries with opinions about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there was a greater tendency to side with the Palestinians. The exception was Germany, where respondents were almost evenly split on the issue.

More Europeans are pro-palestine than pro-israel.

Sunak is going to lose the next election and needs to suck up to the US right wing for his next gig.
It is all demographics.

Jews make up a smaller portion of Europe than they do in America. This is especially true in the media centers of NYC and LA. At the same time, Arabs are a small portion of our population but significantly larger portions of Europe's.

There were some articles in Jewish sources about how as America becomes more non-white, support for Israel decreases. Arabs and Hispanics look alike and seeing blown up brown children causes some kind of visceral reaction.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
I mean I don't like seeing blown up children in general
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
I agree.

Also, as annoying as the campus protest were, retaliating against the college students is just as obnoxious.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
IRT to the Holocaust,

I was talking with a "liberal Jew" (his words). He said he thinks the Israelis haven't gotten past the trauma of the Holocaust which led to a overly aggressive stance that doesn't acknowledge the humanity of the people they are in conflict in.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

That sounds like justification for child abuse.

Maybe not so much justification, as in speculating on contributing factors, that doesn't go so far as to condemn the behavior as it's happening. "Well, he had a tough childhood. His father was very strict and/or alcoholic. Never did get over that." OK but maybe don't give your kid cigarette burns.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I was talking with a "liberal Jew" (his words). He said he thinks the Israelis haven't gotten past the trauma of the Holocaust which led to a overly aggressive stance that doesn't acknowledge the humanity of the people they are in conflict in.
They haven't gotten past the trauma of being slaves in Egypt, thats the nub of the problem.
That and their teachings for the last 4,000 years tell them they have a god-given right to slaughter anyone who is in their way or has something they want.

The holocaust is irrelevant to their thinking:

- The plan to invade Palestine and expel or slaughter the Palestinians predated Hitler's birth

- Jewish terror against the Palestinians predated Mein Kampf

- They really got going before WW2 had even started

They use the holocaust as a useful deflection and to guilt the world into letting them continue their wanton slaughter.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Exodus is a literal article of faith and a brand of "Bible fact"/fake news/abuse of history I more often hear about from Christians or western, Christian-raised, and never from any Israelis I've talked to online when politics come up. Maybe an anecdotal consensus, but individually not looking back very far.

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but haven't you folded loose biblical storytelling into a disjointed history dialog? I think I remember someone getting called out on that here.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They put it forward as their history, and justification for what they do.

"Israel was given to Moses by god" etc.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

It's probably more of a background national noise. Ask around and you'll probably hear more about attacks and sapper tunnels as justification for stuff than whatever Moses and his crew got up to.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3721
The Bible needs to be rewritten.

We need to get rid of most of the Old Testament stuff. Drop Moses from the curriculum. You starts with Genesis and move onto to Cain and Abel, Noah and the Ark, Abraham, Job and then Songs. We erase as much references to the Jews as we can. They don't come up until we get to the New Testament.

All of the lecture parts of the Bible need to get yanked too. The Bible should read like a big story book. So the letters of Paul, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes all have to go.

Revelations has got to go too. It's a downer. The concept of the apocalypse and hell all need to go too. I don't need that negativity in my religion. Just end the New Testament with Jesus in heaven saying something supportive.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Buddy_christ.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

side-related:

Instagram sorry for adding 'terrorist' to some Palestinian user bios
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67169228.amp

'accidental'
'translation error'
lol

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The Bible needs to be rewritten.

We need to get rid of most of the Old Testament stuff. Drop Moses from the curriculum. You starts with Genesis and move onto to Cain and Abel, Noah and the Ark, Abraham, Job and then Songs. We erase as much references to the Jews as we can. They don't come up until we get to the New Testament.

All of the lecture parts of the Bible need to get yanked too. The Bible should read like a big story book. So the letters of Paul, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes all have to go.

Revelations has got to go too. It's a downer. The concept of the apocalypse and hell all need to go too. I don't need that negativity in my religion. Just end the New Testament with Jesus in heaven saying something supportive.
Bible's been annotated, edited, and adapted plenty. There's probably dozens of illustrated storybook bible series trimmed and contextualized for each grade.

Christian extremists probably aren't very interested in a heavily footnoted Bible with references to current histories and ideas. Or, for that matter, very interested in the Bible at all. They've got their madcap preacher to tell them who to hate.

The Bible (and other such religious texts) should probably be read as artifacts of world heritage. Not because you feel guilty for not, or that your immortal soul is in peril or something. That is not very Buddy Christ.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I think I would:

- Delete the OT entirely, its dull, no-one wants to be told what they can and can't do or whats going to happen to them if they do, plus its basically the Torah and irrelevant to Christianity. The Hobbit has more relevance to LOTR than the OT does to the NT, and you can read LOTR without The Hobbit.

- Big up the roles of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, maybe find a few appealing saints we can make some more holidays out of, or at least commercial opportunities to help with the economy.

- Probably make it a graphic novel, no-one wants to read words these days
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Israel carried out an air strike in Jenin in the northern West Bank early on Sunday, saying a mosque was being used as a "terrorist compound".

Palestinian Authority officials said two people died when the Al-Ansar mosque was hit.

Although the Israeli military regularly raids targets in the West Bank, it rarely uses air strikes there like it does against Hamas-controlled Gaza.

Pictures from the scene showed rubble and significant damage to the building.

The Israeli military said those killed were from the Hamas and Islamic Jihad groups and were organising an "imminent terror attack".
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67186178

This is pure provocation.

US ‘holding back Israel from strike against Hezbollah’

The Israeli government is coming under growing pressure from security establishment hawks to launch a pre-emptive strike on Hezbollah in Lebanon – but is facing strong opposition from the US, which fears a two-front war would risk igniting a major regional conflict.

Since Israel struck back at Gaza after the Hamas attack on 7 October, the Lebanese-based Islamist militia group has repeatedly fired on Israeli settlements, leading to an Israeli evacuation of the northern border, including the town of Kiryat Shmona. The threat of a major Hezbollah offensive led to calls from hawks for a strike at its sizeable arsenal of missiles.

“We want to focus on the Gaza arena, and to finish the job there. On the other hand, we are getting a lot of pressure from the Israeli population in the north,” a senior Israeli security official told the Observer. “People are saying, we cannot live on the northern border, with Hezbollah less than 100 metres from us and that can cross the line in a few minutes and slaughter us.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ … -hezbollah

Maybe, I don't know, make peace with your neighbours?

Israel vows to ‘wipe’ Iran, Hezbollah ‘off face of Earth’ if terror group joins Hamas in war: report
https://nypost.com/2023/10/22/israel-vo … ar-report/

Seems crystal clear Israel is intent on this being the war to end all wars and they're lashing out and provoking in every direction.

We could be in WW3 by the end of the week, all over a 4,000 year old supremacist cult which can't get along with anyone else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard