HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5482|Bolingbrook, Illinois
shifty, shut up.  i have no time for you.  go take a basic biology class

the only thing i'll say is that the bible is NOT meant to be taken literally.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/storie … 802629.htm

"The Bible is not fundamentally a work of science," he said. "It is a letter of love that God has written to his people, in a language that was used 2,000-3,000 years ago. Obviously, at that time a concept like the big bang was totally extraneous."

He said he was convinced that astronomy was a science that can open people's minds and hearts and bring them closer to God. The idea that astronomy leads to an atheistic view of the universe is a myth, he said.
if you think that the bible should be taken literally, when it was written in a language and type of way to be easily understandable by people living over 2,000 years ago, you're simply ignorant
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691
Wow what a shitty thread all of the sudden.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Short story, KJV comes from the original (but recopied because goat skin doesn't last forever) greek and hebrew texts, as opposed to the alexandrian and other garbage the vulgate and others were made from. KJV also was translated by hundreds of people, and they pretty much all had to agree, etc.

I guess it makes sense that the version written in the 1600's by a bunch of scholars who were part of a new church that hated Rome would be a better version then the one written in the 200's by an undivided church. It's not like the original texts are closer to Latin then English or anything.

Makes sense totally.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Macbeth wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

I'm not too sure but I think there is no afterlife in Judaism.
What is the point of being a 'good jew' then?
Serious answer needed here sup.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
Catholic, well there's your problem. What did I just tell you about the Vulgate? Oh and the religion was invented in like 1300AD? My years might be way off there but if it hasn't been around since Jesus' time and was corrupted by man then Catholics are directly disobeying Revelations 22:19.

Would you care to give me an example from Scripture, as I've done for you many times, that can show me how it isn't to be taken literally?

What about the basic biology class? I'm assuming you're referring to the life spans mentioned in the Bible. There's a distinct decrease in longevity between generations after the Great Flood and it can also be seen in the reigns of kings in ancient records. It correlates with the Bible perfectly.

If you think the big bang happened millions of years ago, you're basically saying Genesis is a fairy tale, and if you go as far as to say that even a singe book isn't correct, who's to say the rest is correct? Then at that point you can pretty much disregard everything. -> unchristian
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada

http://judaism.about.com wrote:

Many faiths have definitive teachings about the afterlife. But in answer to the question "What happens after we die?" the Torah, our most important religious text, is surprisingly silent. Nowhere does it discuss the afterlife in detail.

Over the centuries a few possible descriptions of the afterlife have been incorporated into Jewish thought. However there is no definitively Jewish explanation for what happens after we die.

Why Doesn’t the Torah Discuss the Afterlife?

No one knows exactly why the Torah doesn't discuss the afterlife. Instead, the Torah focuses on "Olam Ha Ze," which means "this world." Rabbi Joseph Telushkin believes that this focus on the here and now is not only intentional but directly related to the Israelite exodus from Egypt.

According to Jewish tradition God gave the Torah to the Israelites after their journey through the desert, not long after they fled a life of slavery in Egypt. Rabbi Teluskhin points out that Egyptian society was obsessed with life after death. Their holiest text was called "The Book of the Dead," and both mummification and tombs like the pyramids were meant to prepare a person for existence in the afterlife. Perhaps, suggests Rabbi Telushkin, the Torah does not talk about life after death in order to distinguish itself from Egyptian thought. In contrast to "The Book of the Dead," the Torah focuses on the importance of living a good life here and now.

In addition to overarching concepts about life after death, such as Olam Ha Ba, there are many stories that talk about what might happen to souls once they arrive in the afterlife. For instance, there is a famous midrash (story) about how in both heaven and hell people sit at banquet tables piled high with delicious foods, but no one can bend their elbows. In Hell everyone starves because they think only of themselves. In Heaven, everyone feasts because they feed each other.
http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasi … eliefs.htm

Seems they do believe in hell, they just don't go to the trouble of detailing it to make the follewers terrified.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Catholic, well there's your problem. What did I just tell you about the Vulgate? Oh and the religion was invented in like 1300AD? My years might be way off there but if it hasn't been around since Jesus' time
I am 100% sure you are trolling now.

Drink bleach and die please. Not kidding at all. I mean it.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Catholic, well there's your problem. What did I just tell you about the Vulgate? Oh and the religion was invented in like 1300AD? My years might be way off there but if it hasn't been around since Jesus' time and was corrupted by man then Catholics are directly disobeying Revelations 22:19.

Would you care to give me an example from Scripture, as I've done for you many times, that can show me how it isn't to be taken literally?

What about the basic biology class? I'm assuming you're referring to the life spans mentioned in the Bible. There's a distinct decrease in longevity between generations after the Great Flood and it can also be seen in the reigns of kings in ancient records. It correlates with the Bible perfectly.

If you think the big bang happened millions of years ago, you're basically saying Genesis is a fairy tale, and if you go as far as to say that even a singe book isn't correct, who's to say the rest is correct? Then at that point you can pretty much disregard everything. -> unchristian
So either everything is 100% correct and literal, or everything is 100% false?
HaiBai
you expect the bible to have text in it that says it's symbolism?  do you even know what symbolism is?

evolution is real.  that's what you'd get out of a biology class.

no i'm not, i'm saying genesis, along with many other parts of the bible, were written in a way that would be easy to understand for people who lived 2,000 years ago.

i love how you're taking a scientific approach to this debate when science is exactly what makes you look like your crazy.  hahahah
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i love reading sectarian arguments between two followers of a faith that is all completely bogus.

so much effort going into propping up entirely fictitious arguments

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-24 12:30:07)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HaiBai
nobody gives a fuck
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
uzique could say the same
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
HaiBai
except for the fact that we're in the "religons of the world thread" in the "debate and serious talk" forum

stop being dense
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
reported
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire

HaiBai wrote:

nobody gives a fuck

HaiBai wrote:

"debate and serious talk"

HaiBai wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

stop being dense
HaiBai

RTHKI wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

nobody gives a fuck

HaiBai wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

stop being dense
did you read uzique's comment?

it had nothing to do with anything

you seriously must have a mental condition
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
yeah it's called 'religious belief'
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HaiBai
nope
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California

HaiBai wrote:

you expect the bible to have text in it that says it's symbolism?  do you even know what symbolism is?

evolution is real.  that's what you'd get out of a biology class.

no i'm not, i'm saying genesis, along with many other parts of the bible, were written in a way that would be easy to understand for people who lived 2,000 years ago.

i love how you're taking a scientific approach to this debate when science is exactly what makes you look like your crazy.  hahahah
You don't take religion seriously. I can't take you seriously.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada
I think he takes it far more seriously than you. He questions it and still retains his faith, you don't even give it the respect to do that. Just blind unquestioning faith.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Sh1fty really is the master troll, or he is that stupid.
I can't decide.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada
the later of the two.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6691

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

I'm not too sure but I think there is no afterlife in Judaism.
What is the point of being a 'good jew' then?
Serious answer needed here sup.
Morality and virtue are qualities that reward a person in life. The sense of fulfillment, satisfaction, and happiness that comes from being a decent human being need no threat of damnation to be understood as valuable in life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
It doesn't exactly seem to help the Catholics, so yeah.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

-Whiteroom- wrote:

the later of the two.
when calling someone stupid it would be advisable to remember the word is 'latter', not 'later'. latter is a grammatic/designatory term. later is a relative temporality.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard