SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Saudi Arabia literally has a centuries old fancy title giving them legitimacy as a leader of the Islamic world. "Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custodian … ly_Mosques
yes okay and christianity in the levant or israel-palestine is representative of the faith globally. they have some fancy old titles! the church of the holy sepulchre! the order of st john!

salamanca is the centre of the christian world. people go on pilgrimages there!

my point was the majority of the world's muslims do not live in saudi society and do not follow that extreme interpretation of sunni islam.
The majority of Muslims live in states that enforce harsh religious laws that wouldn't fly in the west. Meanwhile the Pope is saying we shouldn't execute prisoners or pollute.
On August 2, 2018, the Vatican announced that it had formally changed the official Catechism of the Catholic Church on the death penalty, calling capital punishment “an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person” and deeming it “inadmissible” in all cases.
I bet many Muslims would straight up kill the Pope if they could.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3453
'wouldn't fly in the west'.

15 states in america still punish adultery as a criminal offence.

europe didn't abandon laws against adultery until 1997 (austria).

latin america basically decriminalised adultery in a big wave in the 1990s, also, mostly at the behest of the united nations forcing secularism and human rights on reactionary catholic countries.

india only recently decriminalised adultery.

meanwhile, adultery CAN and WILL ruin your life in almost every country with strong civil or tort law. you can lose your house, your job, half of your possessions, and be paying a cheque to your ex-wife for the next 20 years if you get caught cheating. there is an entire legal industry based around catching out and taking cheaters to court. private investigators. expert divorce lawyers. etc.

PLEASE stop pretending the west has some superior and enlightened attitude towards fucking adultery. 'wouldn't fly in the west'. THIS HAS ONLY CHANGED IN 20 YEARS.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-13 17:05:50)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

100 mill out of 1.8 billion? and you're taking them as representative of the entire faith? ok, go ahead. i'm sure that makes sense in your head.

adultery was illegal in most of europe until the 1970s and 1980s, fyi. in britain you could still legally rape your wife until the 1990s. i guess that evens things out too?
Saudi Arabia: 29 million people
Pakistan : 205 million
Iran : 82 million

316 million Muslims live in states you can executed for adultery.

Indonesia : 268 million
Nigeria : 196 million

464 million Muslims live in states where you can be jailed for adultery.

That's 780 million people or almost the entire population of Europe. That's not a small amount of people.
Larssen
+99|1888
As a general note though guys I think it's pretty weak to always deflect into other subjects when the topic comes anywhere close to discussing 'controversial' communities and behaviours within those communities. It's like a constant search for logiical inconsistencies and 'gotcha u racist' moments that don't actually bring a deeper understanding of anything. When I'm speaking about Turkey, I don't want to immediately be given a retort that's telling me I'm racist for speaking ill of Turkey because I'm not simultaneously decrying Poland and Hungary. Or, in the case of speaking about barbaric practices in certain parts of the world, we immediately deflect to barbaric practices elsewhere, or accuse someone of racism because they're not simultaneously actively involved in fighting barbarism at home. This would only be tolerable if you actually used that comparison to explain the situation at hand rather than sneer at the author...

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-13 17:07:48)

uziq
+492|3453
205 million people in pakistan are not presented with everyday fears of stoning for adultery. these practices only take place in remote, tribal mountainous areas. it is not mainstream. sex outside of marriage is also illegal in pakistan. do you think the entire country are shivering and waiting for a knock on the door from the sex police? to quote ken, use your fucking head.

Sex out of marriage is a crime in predominantly Muslim Pakistan and punishable by stoning to death under Islamic laws, although that punishment has never officially been handed down.

But in remote, semi-autonomous tribal areas, jirgas often decide on such issues. Hundreds of people are killed every year in Pakistan, most in rural communities, after being deemed to have dishonoured their families.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-13 17:09:40)

uziq
+492|3453

Larssen wrote:

As a general note though guys I think it's pretty weak to always deflect into other subjects when the topic comes anywhere close to discussing 'controversial' communities and behaviours within those communities. It's like a constant search for logiical inconsistencies and 'gotcha u racist' moments that don't actually bring a deeper understanding of anything. When I'm speaking about Turkey, I don't want to immediately be given a retort that's telling me I'm racist for speaking ill of Turkey because I'm not simultaneously decrying Poland and Hungary. Or, in the case of speaking about barbaric practices in certain parts of the world, we immediately deflect to barbaric practices elsewhere, or accuse someone of racism because they're not simultaneously actively involved in fighting barbarism at home. This would only be tolerable if you actually used that comparison to explain the situation at hand rather than sneer at the author...
well, i see you shitting on migrant communities in the west and accusing them of basically being extremists or fundamentalists, and not, er, mostly moderate and modern muslims. you conflate someone voting for erdogan with sunni extremist terrorists. it's a bit of a stretch. you don't accuse elderly ladies in poland or truck drivers in hungary of being dangerous neo-nazi radicals. you view one group's nationalism as inherently more dangerous and suspicious than another's. of course the comparison is telling. the politics of poland are a pretty good mirror for the politics of erdogan's turkey. there's more violence in the streets and more direct clampdowns on people's freedom in poland, in its current political-judicial set-up. but, no, terrorist beheadings committed by non-turks in france for some reason get you worried about erdogan supporters. OK.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Larssen wrote:

As a general note though guys I think it's pretty weak to always deflect into other subjects when the topic comes anywhere close to discussing to 'controversial' communities and behaviours within those communities. It's like a constant search for logiical inconsistencies and 'gotcha u racist' moments that don't actually bring a deeper understanding of anything. When I'm speaking about Turkey, I don't want to immediately be given a retort that's telling me I'm racist for speaking ill of Turkey because I'm not simultaneously decrying Poland and Hungary. Or, in the case of speaking about barbaric practices in certain parts of the world, we immediately deflect to barbaric practices elsewhere, or accuse someone of racism because they're not simultaneously actively involved in fighting barbarism at home. This would only be tolerable if you actually used that comparison to explain the situation at hand rather than sneer at the author...
I believe in helping non-Muslim minorities living in those states immigrate here as well as conversion and integration of Muslims living here and elsewhere too if it can be done.

Meanwhile Uzique and Ken will tell you: No! It's their culture and traditions which are bad and not their religion. The Asians, Hispanics, Eastern Europeans, and Central Africans all live in shit holes too!

Literally way more racist than anything I have ever suggested.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

205 million people in pakistan are not presented with everyday fears of stoning for adultery. these practices only take place in remote, tribal mountainous areas. it is not mainstream. sex outside of marriage is also illegal in pakistan. do you think the entire country are shivering and waiting for a knock on the door from the sex police? to quote ken, use your fucking head.

Sex out of marriage is a crime in predominantly Muslim Pakistan and punishable by stoning to death under Islamic laws, although that punishment has never officially been handed down.

But in remote, semi-autonomous tribal areas, jirgas often decide on such issues. Hundreds of people are killed every year in Pakistan, most in rural communities, after being deemed to have dishonoured their families.
Okay you can only get offed by the locals for sleeping around in certain parts of the country. You better not be a gay or non-Muslim in any other part of the country either.
uziq
+492|3453
i have no problem criticising cultures. but you keep elevating ours on a pedestal as if we have attained universal enlightenment, and you're miraculously light on historical detail. making arguments about how advanced we are because of our attitudes to adultery, when it was criminal here too one generation ago, is not exactly a devastating critique of islamic mores.
uziq
+492|3453

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

Okay you can only get offed by the locals for sleeping around in certain parts of the country. You better not be a gay or non-Muslim in any other part of the country either.
which describes vast rural regions of india, russia, europe, the united states ...

have you seen how how much hatred and backlash there has been against LGBTQ+ people in poland recently? actual fascist groups in the street wearing armbands, trying to lynch people.

how safe are gays or blacks in rural backwaters of america? don't joggers get shot for the colour of their skin?

if you want to point to a problem with 'old customs' in 'rural' areas, then okay, let's do that. nobody is going to be surprised when you point out that the tribal groups of mountainous pakistan or afghanistan have some fucking iron age practices. but it's not like every married couple in lahore are living in fear of having their sex lives policed, 'because islam'. it just doesn't happen.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

i have no problem criticising cultures. but you keep elevating ours on a pedestal as if we have attained universal enlightenment, and you're miraculously light on historical detail. making arguments about how advanced we are because of our attitudes to adultery, when it was criminal here too one generation ago, is not exactly a devastating critique of islamic mores.
You must have missed my decades long rage at evangelicals in my own country. You bring up crimes in rural areas as if I have ever been an advocate for people living in rural areas.

The difference between my criticism of Muslims and my criticism of westerners is that you, Ken, and others leap to an unending defense of Muslims. You infantilize, and make excuses for them. You then throw Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, Eastern Europeans and others under the bus to make the Muslims not look so bad thereby making an argument way more racist then what I am suggesting. It is actually comical if you think about it.
uziq
+492|3453
no, we don't infantilize them. you are the one generalising them all into a big black scary 'Other'. clearly me and ken have had many more interactions with and exposure to everyday muslims. you are comically out of touch with how most muslims on this planet live their lives. they're not all stoning one another for adultery, my guy. you need to leave new jersey or start a few conversations with people. KJ and myself are not the ones here who are guilty of making up specious arguments.

you're perfectly fine with framing 'backwards' evangelical beliefs and 'rural customs' for what they are, and bracketing them off from your views of christianity in the main. but then you want to make out like everyone in pakistan is living in some ultra-policed state of sexual terrorism? lol. it's the exact same fucking socio-economic dynamic at work there, idiot. the backwards and rural poor are the ones engaging in these practices.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-13 17:32:25)

Larssen
+99|1888

uziq wrote:

Larssen wrote:

well, i see you shitting on migrant communities in the west and accusing them of basically being extremists or fundamentalists, and not, er, mostly moderate and modern muslims. you conflate someone voting for erdogan with sunni extremist terrorists. it's a bit of a stretch. you don't accuse elderly ladies in poland or truck drivers in hungary of being dangerous neo-nazi radicals. you view one group's nationalism as inherently more dangerous and suspicious than another's. of course the comparison is telling. the politics of poland are a pretty good mirror for the politics of erdogan's turkey. there's more violence in the streets and more direct clampdowns on people's freedom in poland, in its current political-judicial set-up. but, no, terrorist beheadings committed by non-turks in france for some reason get you worried about erdogan supporters. OK.
And here we go again. Instead of admitting a good point you prefer launching some sort of almost Trumpian attack with all sorts of BS about my frame of mind. What I explicitly, repeatedly said was that high support for Erdogan among expatriate/immigrant Turkish communities in Europe is a problem. That it's doubly problematic if the same group overwhelmingly supports left leaning politics here.

Instead of fucking well agreeing you launch a diatribe about Poland, of which I've said multiple times they should be sanctioned. You're obviously shielding a minority community of any and all criticism for the sole fact that they're a minority - it's pathetic. In what must've been 15000 words of assault only one or two lines were included that, yes, maleficent foreign influences should be addressed, but it appears to internally pain you even to say so.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Larssen wrote:

it's not deflection to highlight hypocrisy. Let's focus the critical eye universally. No one is condoning barbaric practices - we just want to remove the veneer of demographic qualifiers that largely have little do with the underlying reasons why people act the way they do. Unfortunately it sometimes requires holding up a mirror. It helps strip down the nonsensical into cogent chunks that are worth debating.

For instance - we can focus on barbaric practices and why those are practiced in certain regions. We've clearly established that Christians and Muslims, white people and black people, are capable of the same misdeeds, for innumerable reasons. Comparative analysis is good - let's look at why ex-pat Turks vote the way they do, and compare and contrast that against ex-pat Brits in Southeast Asia and why they tend to vote for right wing politics. Perhaps it has less to do with religion and more to do with other material conditions that led them to migrate in the first place?

There's nuance in everything, and especially in political economies. You know that. I know you know that. If we want to develop a critical understanding, of "Why People Do The Things They Do", we can't just connect the dots directly from A -> Z without drawing the whole picture. It's easy, but reductive, to say "'x' people act this way, therefore 'x' people need to evolve".
uziq
+492|3453
if there are extremist or fundamentalist cells/groups within western societies, of course they should be policed and punished accordingly. voting for erdogan is not 'doubly problematic' or 'alarming', though.

you need to think about what it means to consider someone's voting choice a 'maleficent foreign influence'. erdogan is not instructing his supporters abroad to cut off heads or bomb public places. they are exercising their vote. you just don't like it. are trump supporters 'doubly problematic'? i just don't understand your total lack of self-awareness about how illiberal you are. 'these people don't vote for liberal causes! we must clamp down on them in our societies!' meanwhile half of the natives are voting for illiberal measures ... because yes, that's their fucking right.

do you have the same attitude towards jews in the US who are supportive of netanyahu? haven't you accused dilbert of being anti-semitic for crossing these wires? but you don't like being called islamophobic when you rally and rail against erdogan supporters? again, erdogan is not osama bin laden. working-class migrants voting for a 'strongman' figure out of patriotic fervour or whatever is not the same as condoning sunni terrorism. there's a whole constellation of reasons governing their political sympathies, some of them no doubt purely sentimental. they are not de facto religious fundamentalists or 'a dangerous islamist fifth column'.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-13 17:45:56)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

no, we don't infantilize them. you are the one generalising them all into a big black scary 'Other'. clearly me and ken have had many more interactions with and exposure to everyday muslims. you are comically out of touch with how most muslims on this planet live their lives. they're not all stoning one another for adultery, my guy. you need to leave new jersey or start a few conversations with people. KJ and myself are not the ones here who are guilty of making up specious arguments.

you're perfectly fine with framing 'backwards' evangelical beliefs and 'rural customs' for what they are, and bracketing them off from your views of christianity in the main. but then you want to make out like everyone in pakistan is living in some ultra-policed state of sexual terrorism? lol. it's the exact same fucking socio-economic dynamic at work there, idiot. the backwards and rural poor are the ones engaging in these practices.
I live in literally the most diverse part of NJ and went to the statistically most diverse university in the country. As my job as a firefighter I probably interact with more new Muslims and "others" every year than you personally ever met.

I know these people well enough to know the kinds of lives they leave behind in those countries and have heard first hand of the institutionalized horrors of Islamism in their homelands of which there is no equivalent even in the most white trash parts of America. And if you want to claim the cosmopolitanism of my part of America outweighs of the rural backwardness of other parts of America, can you find a reason why the same dynamic doesn't happen in just as dense and populous Muslim places? And do it without blaming colonialism or the Iranian coup from 70 years ago.

And also, why do you default to bringing every else down to the same level as Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan when I bring this up. Again I will point out you did a world tour of talking down other races and cultures in order to make the Muslims not look so bad. Not very social just of you. Couldn't you make an argument to lift Muslims up instead of bringing others down?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Larssen wrote:

You're obviously shielding a minority community of any and all criticism for the sole fact that they're a minority - it's pathetic.
Uzique engages in the liberal practice of "the soft bigotry of low expectations". He lives in a world where minorities are always the victim and whenever a minority doesn't buy into his narrative of victimhood he eventually calls them Uncle Toms. He really does assume that all minorities live an experience like blacks in the worst part of America based off of him watching the Wire. So when you point out that maybe the Euro-Muslim community has a lot of problems it won't compute because he thinks all non-Euros live in shit holes and that is just the way it always has been and you just can't judge them for living in shitholes because that is their culture.

Ken on the other hand is mostly fine.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

You must have missed my decades long rage at evangelicals in my own country. You bring up crimes in rural areas as if I have ever been an advocate for people living in rural areas.

The difference between my criticism of Muslims and my criticism of westerners is that you, Ken, and others leap to an unending defense of Muslims. You infantilize, and make excuses for them. You then throw Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, Eastern Europeans and others under the bus to make the Muslims not look so bad thereby making an argument way more racist then what I am suggesting. It is actually comical if you think about it.
I haven't seen anyone here making excuses for genital mutilation or stoning women to death out in the sand sticks. It's wrong to label Islam by its most backwards practices like it's wrong to label Christians or Hindus or Buddhists or whatever by their most backwards practices and those of the governments using them to intimidate, dominate, and terrorize. Throwing bricks at a mosque is going to solve jack squat.

As much has been said countless times and you and others just loop back into trollface and the cycle begins all over again.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

I haven't seen anyone here making excuses for genital mutilation or stoning women to death out in the sand sticks. It's wrong to label Islam by its most backwards practices like it's wrong to label Christians or Hindus or Buddhists or whatever by their most backwards practices and those of the governments using them to intimidate, dominate, and terrorize. Throwing bricks at a mosque is going to solve jack squat.
Thank you for bringing up female genital mutilation. I totally forgot that was even a thing in that part of the world. And why are you upset about genital mutilation anyway? That's their religion/culture. They should be allowed to practice it in Europe/America and how dare you suggest we don't.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Obviously you are too preoccupied with pulling your hair out over burqini beaches to remember that ritual mutilation of children is a thing that should probably fade into history.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

as part of the ongoing bf2s archiving, I will be adding a searchable index for macbeth's slow decline into fascism. I believe we are currently in the larval stage.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Obviously you are too preoccupied with pulling your hair out over burqini beaches to remember that ritual mutilation of children is a thing that should probably fade into history.
I think you missed my point. What makes you think it is okay for you to say genital mutilation is wrong but people who want other cultural practices stopped are clearly fascist?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

You're ironically wistful for tumultuous times and fetishize widespread violence in half-ironic but probably not ironic at all posts. Just the other day you were in a panic about bearded men impersonating UPS drivers to rape people. Your faux concern for the plight of women falls utterly flat. I don't recall a time when it was ever funny. Just sad.

I have ethical qualms with things like executions and mutilating the genitals of children. I hope both are eventually discontinued worldwide. I couldn't care less if someone wants to don a skullcap and prostrate themselves on a rug. These are easily separable things when you aren't arguing in spiritual rageface.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Once you let Muslim identity politics take hold in a place it degrades into fanaticism eventually. As Muslim populations grow in the west, they will become more radicalized and there will be more religious conflict in host countries. In our blessed part of the world they aren't at the murderous stage yet like they have entered in France and to a lesser extent the U.K. but it is an eventuality if we don't put state support behind moving people away from Islam.

I don't understand your points regarding me defending women from men with beards and also Islam. I am sorry if I personally hurt your feelings by denouncing beards.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

There are groups of Christians who if given the power and influence, would turn back the clock on crime and punishment. There are groups of Muslims who moved to more liberal countries to escape that sort of thing. People can object to parts of a religion they think is harmful to society without becoming xenophobic over it. Not everything is so conveniently black and white no matter how much hardliner nationalists paint it as such.

Of course angry Baptists burning copies of Harry Potter isn't on the same level as women being arrested for riding a bicycle, but again, and for the umpteenth time, the west has already been through this and is still working on equality.

Go on, crack a joke or ask us again why we're "making excuses for Islam."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard