Larssen
+99|1886
That the church in north africa and modern day turkey was a little farther along I'll agree to.
uziq
+492|3450
the early church developed between byzantium and rome. that's exactly what we're talking about. talking about the christian religion as being synonymous with or 'mainly' rome is ignoring a huge chunk of the early development of the religion. most of the system of christianity accepted by rome was a greek-hellenistic import. again, if you have even a basic acquaintance with plato's metaphysics or aristotle's work, it is inarguable that christianity's metaphysics, i.e. that outside of its ethics and everyday teachings, is just translated greek philosophy.

to separate off 'modern turkey and africa' and talk about them as if they're strange outlier zones and not representative of christianity is silly. the vast majority of the apostles themselves were from small churches around the levant, greece or anatolia (he was called Paul of Tarsus, you know). the ones who ended up in italy went to former greek settlements there or stayed in hellenistic communities in rome, etc.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-04 03:26:38)

uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholasticism#Early_Scholasticism
i really don't think you understand the history of christianity, but it's not really important. scholasticism was a much more developed, and of course later, system of thought. i am talking the first 500 years of christianity, and christianity immediately after the fall of rome. it was undeniably hellenistic. the socratics were not 'forgotten about' until the 10th or 15th centuries. this is just plainly incorrect. you are mischaracterizing the renaissance.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-04 03:29:28)

Larssen
+99|1886
If in what is today considered the west knowledge of ancient greek was entirely lost and it took until Aquinas and later to rediscover most of those teachings, it is a rather indirect connection. That other parts of the church, which separated in the great schism anyway, were based in greek philosophy doesn't help that fact.

And beyond the church fathers it took several centuries more for this intellectual and cultural history to be picked up on and claimed by the rest of society. That movement - which you call fashion - is probably even more important to the now commonly accepted claim of greek and roman history as totally ours. Many of us were the same vandals, celts, germanic tribes etc. that dismantled the roman empire and burned their libraries to begin with.
uziq
+492|3450
there is nothing denigratory in calling something a fashion. that is how knowledge spreads and why people take up a pursuit. the renaissance, like the scientific enlightenment, were fashions of a sort. sorry if my wording was confusing there.

you are just reinforcing my exact point: that the renaissance was more an awakening to the wider canon of antiquity, previously untranslated writers. christian theology, however, was still profoundly hellenistic. it hardly matters if people couldn't read ancient greek (or aramaic, for that matter). the thinking was transmitted.

you're making out that christians couldn't even read the socratics until aquinas. what?? most of the people who codified the christian bible and canon of thought were hellenists for fuck's sake! they were widely reading and translating in koine greek.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-04 03:40:19)

Larssen
+99|1886
One copy of Timaeus and a transmission through time of some hellinistic-inspired theological teachings to recipients unaware of that basis don't really indicate a strong linear tradition of claiming greek history uziq.
uziq
+492|3450
where did i say 'claiming greek history'? i said christian theology is hellenistic in character. christian metaphysics is basically platonic. early christian thought and the church were heavily influenced by aristotlean logic and similarly his metaphysics ('the unmoved mover'? hello?) i did not say that western europe's identification of itself with greece/rome was continued throughout history. that's precisely why it's called the 'dark ages' by some historians. but christian theology, it's philosophy, WAS a syncretic mixture of greek-hellenism with their new bits tacked on. that's inarguable.

in fact, it wasn't really until german philologists and antiquarians went digging in greece that modern europeans started making claims of 'shared historical heritage'. that was almost entirely another product of fashion in intellectual circles, again, particularly german university academics. the renaissance didn't really identify with 'greek history' in quite the same way: it was more concerned with a broader sort of humanism. the claiming of greek or roman heritage came later, and often times was more involved in early nation-states'/democracies' conceptions of themselves (including notably america).

as i said, once again, the renaissance was a broad rediscovery of the world of antiquity, yes. but the socratics specifically were not 'discovered' then. you talked about an 'imagined connection' to socrates/plato/aristotle in the 15th century. nonsense! christian theologians had been explicating on (neo)platonic metaphysics and aristotlean concepts for the previous 1,000 years! the christian church(es) even developed under and in the time of rome basically as another hellenistic school of philosophy! from the time of constantine's conversion onwards, there was effectively a scholarly-learned class of greek-speaking and greek-writing christians! what was rediscovered was the world of non-socratic thought more broadly, as well as a great corpus of roman writers outside of the strict purview of the christian religion.

you making out that the christian church didn't revive the socratics until aquinas is just bizarre. you’re talking about ancient greek as if it’s champollion cracking the rosetta stone and suddenly unlocking this hidden world. st anselm made his 'ontological proof' of god, based on aristotlean logic (!) over a century before aquinas. just one example of many.

read emmanuel carrere's 'the kingdom'. it blows through this entire history from the life of jesus onwards in about 300 pages.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-04 04:18:43)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
There was also a lot of burning of heretics and persecuting of cats during the dark ages, couldn't we have gone straight from Aristotle to the enlightenment?
Judaism might have fizzled out by now, Catholicism and Islam might never have existed
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
burning of heretics wasn't a common practice until the 12th/13th centuries. it was a political instrument of a by-then, yes, worldly powerful church.

but yes, let's rather conveniently ignore the continuation and preservation of western thought and philosophy from 500-1500.

if you want to ask why civilization didn't miraculously rebound from the fall of the roman empire, well, you're asking a very big historical question that is more concerned with politics and warfare than religion, per se. we could be here for a very long while if we want to discuss the reasons for why the lights went out for vast parts of western europe after the collapse of rome. but, no, the reason isn't 'because the church was keeping people down'. the church eked out an existence perched on remote cliff-top or island monasteries for several hundred years whilst european tribes and kingdoms butchered one another without a care in the world for things like literacy or aristotle.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-04 05:04:14)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
This looks like a conversation I should be a part of. I really don't have time to go into detail about a lot of the points covered since work starts soon and I need to put the plants outside and water them. I'm a florist who owns a small business in Little Italy.

Anyway, however you feel about the church you need to recognize the impressive fact that they managed to create a hierarchical/regulated institution across the entirety of Europe during the Dark Ages. That feat of organization across borders, languages, cultures, etc. was something only the Romans ever managed up until maybe Napoleon? I think that fact is too often ignored and instead focus/shame is put on things like the Crusades. No one ever marvels at the fact that the Catholic Church managed to organize a coalition of French, Iberians, Germans, English etc. to go and do something in the service of something greater than their individual interest. Again, when did that ever happen until maybe the European Union?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

The catholic church remains an impressive achievement. A lot of charities that tie back into the church are also well rated. Golly-gee willikers, I don't know if it's completely fair for Dilbert to judge the institution for being assholes in an age filled to the brim with assholes.

I found a site where he might get some of his information (or even ghost-writes for?):

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEDOPHILE PRIESTS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH? (Return of Kings)
https://www.returnofkings.com/190738/wh … lic-church

site popup wrote:

Stop getting tricked by bad girls who are pretending to be good

This important article gives you 30 signs that a girl has been with over 100 men. Get instant access by signing up to my useful weekly newsletter below...
Probably more popups about Indian cab drivers.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
Good Lord who thinks any girl they would meet has been with over a hundred men? And who would think that they personally would be better than all 100? So many questions.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I don't know why you would even link that site. Isn't it run by one of those pickup artists rapists?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I google searched stuff I thought dilbert might like and that came up.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I google searched stuff I thought dilbert might like and that came up.
Thanks!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

This looks like a conversation I should be a part of. I really don't have time to go into detail about a lot of the points covered since work starts soon and I need to put the plants outside and water them. I'm a florist who owns a small business in Little Italy.

Anyway, however you feel about the church you need to recognize the impressive fact that they managed to create a hierarchical/regulated institution across the entirety of Europe during the Dark Ages. That feat of organization across borders, languages, cultures, etc. was something only the Romans ever managed up until maybe Napoleon? I think that fact is too often ignored and instead focus/shame is put on things like the Crusades. No one ever marvels at the fact that the Catholic Church managed to organize a coalition of French, Iberians, Germans, English etc. to go and do something in the service of something greater than their individual interest. Again, when did that ever happen until maybe the European Union?
So to summarise:

Aristotle

2000 years

Oh wow Aristotle!

I feel there's a part we could have skipped.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-05 00:48:45)

uziq
+492|3450
read a book. aristotle’s thought was developed a great deal.

do you have any idea how much of the contemporary world is based on classical logic?

do you really think the church and society did nothing for 1000 years?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sure the various religions have done nothing but fine tune their medieval outfits.

https://www.vocationcentre.org.au/systems/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/39027496_2112628032144279_2105400068080140288_o.jpg

In 2000 years I'm sure the hasidim will still be wearing 18th century costume.

https://www.jewishledger.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Film-director-sorry-for-statement-about-Hasidim.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-11-05 01:02:44)

Larssen
+99|1886

uziq wrote:

you making out that the christian church didn't revive the socratics until aquinas is just bizarre. you’re talking about ancient greek as if it’s champollion cracking the rosetta stone and suddenly unlocking this hidden world. st anselm made his 'ontological proof' of god, based on aristotlean logic (!) over a century before aquinas. just one example of many.
In the latin catholic strain that rather took a while. As I said a copy of Timaeus isn't exactly the entire opus, far from it. It took the reconquista for much of the texts to be reclaimed. Islam and the Arabs could in that sense claim plato/aristotle as much as we do.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-05 03:21:38)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
When I was picking what school to do my MA in I considered a local Catholic college. I was accepted too but the tuition was eyewatering so I decided to do a state school. During the tour of the college they showed us the bursar's office and on the wall they had black and white pictures of all of the priest who ever ran the school I guess.

And I wondered how many of those priest were pedophiles. And does the whole college exist solely to service these robed pedophiles?

Other interesting note, the tuition for the college was $500 or so when my dad attended it in the 80's. Today undergraduate is $37,660 per year. Graduate tuition is $1,132 per credit. State school is only $755.55.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

uziq wrote:

In the latin catholic strain that rather took a while. As I said a copy of Timaeus isn't exactly the entire opus, far from it. It took the reconquista for much of the texts to be reclaimed. Islam and the Arabs could in that sense claim plato/aristotle as much as we do.
i really don't know why you're arguing with this at this point. you're so wrong in your characterisation that it's silly.

augustine (350AD), boethius (500AD), anselm (1000AD) were all INTIMATELY acquainted with the socratics and were responsible for shaping christianity between greek-hellenism and jewish monotheism. it was the BEDROCK of their philosophy and metaphysics. they were literally arguing throughout the early and middle medieval period about aristotle and plato, as well as engaging in minor disputes about topics such as neoplatonism, plotinus, the gnostic and apocryphal traditions such as pseudo-dionysus, etc. this stuff was the LIFEBLOOD of christian philosophy from way before aquinas or whatever arbitrary point you're taking.

do some basic research. and this is basic stuff. it is the outline of the history of western philosophy ffs.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/boet … ojLogiComm

Boethius’s work as a translator and commentator of Aristotelian logic might appear to be just the beginning of a wider project, announced in the second commentary on On Interpretation (c. 516), and cut short by his execution, to translate and comment on all the writings of Plato and Aristotle. Yet Boethius seems to have become so engrossed in his role as an expositor of logic, not limiting himself to a single commentary on each work, and writing extra textbooks, that it is hard not to see it as having diverted him, in any case, from his more grandiose scheme. Indeed, Boethius seems to have pursued a rather special logical project.
yes, islamic philosophy (and the jewish tradition too) were responsible for transmitting plenty of knowledge. figures like averroes and maimonides in particular. also very interesting.

Last edited by uziq (2020-11-05 08:10:36)

Larssen
+99|1886
I don't even understand why you insist on this detour to focus on the few specific individuals in the early middle ages who had some knowledge on those works. I stated that when people think of western civilisation that they reference aristotle, socrates and plato, which by no means were household names or common knowledge in Europe at all for a long time. I mean for christ sake it's a known fact that after the fall of the western roman empire knowledge of ancient greek more or less vanished from large parts of the continent for hundreds of years, and that only some translated works in latin were in circulation which yes depended greatly on boethius - who's considered a roman as he was born directly after the fall of the empire in the west and who didn't at all translate anywhere near the complete works about/by these people. There's a huge gap after him, not to mention, again, that nobody knew greek. The recovery of aristotle and the greek classics in general isn't some figment of the imagination. It may have been a long time that I've sat through the depressingly boring slog that was medieval history in uni, but I quite distinctly remember reading and being lectured on this. The popular association of the west with greek antiquity isn't this linear passing down of a long tradition of 'western civilisation' that neatly started in Greek antiquity to now. That was my entire point. Stop making it about a handful of theologians because it suits your argument.
Larssen
+99|1886
It's also quite fucking tiresome that you denote literally everything as 'basic knowledge' 'elementary' 'undergraduate' whenever you engage in an argument about any topic. No matter how many books you read uzi I very much doubt you'll ever really touch even the surface of human knowledge and I don't doubt you'll be seething if an expert in a subject you're not familiar with keeps deriding you for 'not knowing the basics' (and I'm not complimenting you here as an expert, don't take it the wrong way lad).

But I suppose you shy away from those topics because you're deathly afraid of being made to look like a fool, until of course you've read enough to regurgitate through references.

Imagine if carl sagan kept calling his audience fucking idiots.

Last edited by Larssen (2020-11-05 10:13:09)

uziq
+492|3450
most of europe wasn't literate for the middle ages, i mean what is your point? my argument is that there is a direct line of continuity from the socratics through church-scholasticism and into the renaissance. you're making out that socrates/plato/aristotle were 'lost' to the west essentially for 1200 or 1400 years. that is arrant nonsense. anybody who went to a medieval university in europe or embarked on any sort of formal education would be familiar with the names of the socratics and a few other names from antiquity. you claimed that the renaissance 'imagined' a connection to ancient greek. this is patently incorrect. the texts of the socratics were in constant translation, reproduction, commentary, etc. the church developed aristotelean logic and platonic metaphysics over the course of 1000 years.

i don't know where you're getting this weird impression from that the west only had 1 of plato's dialogues for all of 1200 years, and even then it was only kept to a few irrelevant, minor scholars living in remote areas ('a handful of theologians' ... 'north africa, modern day turkey', etc). that's just not the case. three of the most influential philosophers in the entire history of the christian church – augustine, boethius, and aristotle himself – were all intimately familiar with that socratic tradition. it's really that simple.

the organised body of knowledge and the western 'system of thought' was not widely accessible to all, of course, during the middle ages. nobody is talking about that. i never claimed that plato was a household name for a bog-peat farmer in sixth century ireland. but formal education, written and transmitted knowledge, universities and monasteries/seminaries, etc, were all familiar with the socratics. the hellenistic philosophies were just as important as the hebrew-biblical corpus.

this is why i said you are 'mischaracterising the renaissance'. those big three names were not 'recovered' by the renaissance at all. thinkers from across the christian, islamic and jewish world were all commenting on and developing their thought as a standard part of their training and profession. in the 12th to 14th centuries, clearly before your 'renaissance recovery', you have aquinas, averroes and maimonides who were all fucking experts on the socratics! averroes entire philosophical project tried to reconcile the hellenistic school with islamic theology!

and for what it's worth, it's not like the renaissance made socrates, plato and aristotle 'household' names, either. you're acting like it was only for theologians and philosophers in seclusion from 'western culture' in some strange way from 400AD-1500AD, after which there's widespread hellenism. the overwhelming majority of people in renaissance city-states were illiterate workers or an artisan class. the rise of 'renaissance humanism' was still a development largely confined to the church (and latterly to an increasingly secular academe).

as i said repeatedly, the 'recoveries' of translation (and print publication) in the renaissance were mostly of the pagan or non-christian texts, or of presenting writers from the church-latin tradition in vernaculars such as tuscan (in the case of florence, for e.g.). the renaissance was not about the west magically rediscovering plato's dialogues or the metaphysics of aristotle. that had been the underpinning of western philosophy and culture already for 1000 years! it was more about writers like cicero, ovid, virgil, etc. with them, you can credibly say that many renaissance thinkers 'revived' or 'recovered' them: petrarch for cicero, for example.

do a research.
uziq
+492|3450

Larssen wrote:

It's also quite fucking tiresome that you denote literally everything as 'basic knowledge' 'elementary' 'undergraduate' whenever you engage in an argument about any topic. No matter how many books you read uzi I very much doubt you'll ever really touch even the surface of human knowledge and I don't doubt you'll be seething if an expert in a subject you're not familiar with keeps deriding you for 'not knowing the basics' (and I'm not complimenting you here as an expert, don't take it the wrong way lad).

But I suppose you shy away from those topics because you're deathly afraid of being made to look like a fool, until of course you've read enough to regurgitate through references.

Imagine if carl sagan kept calling his audience fucking idiots.
larssen: i have sat through lectures on medieval history! you are a fool! i know what i'm talking about!
larssen: oh it's so tiresome when you mention 'undergraduate' education whenever i am badly wrong about something!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard