Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
jord
Member
+2,382|5488|The North, beyond the wall.

eleven bravo wrote:

my female dominican cousin has an engineering degree from syracuse and works at BAE
my uncle works at BAE

now what
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,754|5502
I know, I remember that. I only went for 2.5 years though. I transfered.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|5491|Disaster Free Zone

Superior Mind wrote:

So I'm supposed to dumb down my speech because I'm talking to dumb people? That only flies with children and the actually mentally impaired.
No, keep speaking like a tool.
eleven bravo
Member
+1,399|4069|foggy bottom

Superior Mind wrote:

I know, I remember that. I only went for 2.5 years though. I transfered.
you graduated with anthro?
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5280

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

no i just think it's funny how you're conveniently constructing your identity retroactively around this whole 'quaker' thing, when the causes are obviously much different than the ethos of your grade school. you didn't choose an academic life and you didn't study an academic degree - that's why you can't 'do' academic talk or discussion. it's a specialist language you simply haven't been taught. it has nothing to do with "oh i was raised a quaker so i shun complex speech for humble locution". you're just retroactively attributing that to you so it covers all the bases. painful to watch.
How is my degree non-academic? Because it was math and science heavy at the expense of humanities and the arts? Please. I had to do internships and research papers and independent study just like you.

An engineering degree is just an applied, rather than theoretical, physics degree. It's not herp derp let's go in a garage and work on cars all day. Seriously, stop, I know you have issues with all the engineers on this forum, but this line of argument makes you look like a fool.
i'm not saying engineering is easy. i'm just saying it's not 'academic' in the sense that you don't have to write 15,000 word research papers in full academic prose. your college wasn't an academic research-intensive institution. you didn't have to go through the daily grist of bibliographing, stylesheet referencing, exercising formal locution, researching for 4 hours a day, etc.etc. blah blah. you thought that academic research involved finding rare books, ffs. that's all i'm saying. you're not academic because you haven't had any experience of proper ivory-tower academia. your failure to be able to 'speak' that language is just that: a failure, a lacking. not that it makes you any less of a human being. just stop putting it down to some grade-school quaker ethos bs. we've seen you try the academic political-philosophy shit and it was embarrassing to witness. just knock that one on the head and stop rewriting your own life biography to cover it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,754|5502

eleven bravo wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

I know, I remember that. I only went for 2.5 years though. I transfered.
you graduated with anthro?
ya
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England
Ok Uzique. Whatever you say. Have you spent four hours a day studying differential equations or thermodynamics or materials science or wave patterns of electricity? No? You do understand that the equivalent to your 15,000 research paper is the scientific lab report, no? Math and science people don't write 15,000 word essays because they don't have to it's not what they are going to school for. Do you think that Spark writes massive essays about quantum mechanics? Fuck no. He's chasing a degree in theoretical physics, is that non-academic?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|5491|Disaster Free Zone
Uziques definition of academic = anal retentive punce. Don't read too much into it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

Uzique wrote:

we've seen you try the academic political-philosophy shit and it was embarrassing to witness. just knock that one on the head and stop rewriting your own life biography to cover it.
Because I mentioned the name Hegel in a thread you feel the need to mock me endlessly? I never claimed to have read him, or to have been an expert on him. That thread was me thinking out loud about a book I was reading.

Here Uzique, solve this basic academic problem for us:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/thermo3.png
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,754|5502
bout 350
Macbeth
Banned
+2,443|4395

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

we've seen you try the academic political-philosophy shit and it was embarrassing to witness. just knock that one on the head and stop rewriting your own life biography to cover it.
Because I mentioned the name Hegel in a thread you feel the need to mock me endlessly? I never claimed to have read him, or to have been an expert on him. That thread was me thinking out loud about a book I was reading.

Here Uzique, solve this basic academic problem for us:

It doesn't matter what the temperature is down stream /chinese engineering
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

we've seen you try the academic political-philosophy shit and it was embarrassing to witness. just knock that one on the head and stop rewriting your own life biography to cover it.
Because I mentioned the name Hegel in a thread you feel the need to mock me endlessly? I never claimed to have read him, or to have been an expert on him. That thread was me thinking out loud about a book I was reading.

Here Uzique, solve this basic academic problem for us:

It doesn't matter what the temperature is down stream /chinese engineering
It's actually about a 1.91 C increase, which is huge.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
Member
+2,382|5488|The North, beyond the wall.

Superior Mind wrote:

bout 350
Did you take into account the Coriolis effect?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,443|4395

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:


Because I mentioned the name Hegel in a thread you feel the need to mock me endlessly? I never claimed to have read him, or to have been an expert on him. That thread was me thinking out loud about a book I was reading.

Here Uzique, solve this basic academic problem for us:

It doesn't matter what the temperature is down stream /chinese engineering
It's actually about a 1.91 C increase, which is huge.
Totally disrupts aquatic life in the stream. It is funny how some environmentalist think a wind turbine or solar panel won't produce environmental problems. They are not as bad as oil or coal but they aren't 100% clean green and will save the whales.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:


It doesn't matter what the temperature is down stream /chinese engineering
It's actually about a 1.91 C increase, which is huge.
Totally disrupts aquatic life in the stream. It is funny how some environmentalist think a wind turbine or solar panel won't produce environmental problems. They are not as bad as oil or coal but they aren't 100% clean green and will save the whales.
It would disrupt aquatic life because the problem assumes that the entire river is rerouted through the power plant for use as coolant Fishies swimming through a condenser is a funny image.

Wind and solar are predicated on cheap land and heart strings. They really aren't viable at all. I wouldn't say that their environmental impact is even close to that of coal or oil fired plants though Not yet, anyway.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|5221|'Murka

Jay wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Giving us free will and being omnipotent are not in contradiction.

He knows we will choose our own path based on having free will and gives us that freedom to choose. It is not predetermined what our path is...unless you are a Quaker, I suppose.
Quakers believe in free will, Calvinists believe in predestination.
Eh. Whatever. Mormons are big free willers, too.

Could've sworn Quakers were predestination folks...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Jay wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Giving us free will and being omnipotent are not in contradiction.

He knows we will choose our own path based on having free will and gives us that freedom to choose. It is not predetermined what our path is...unless you are a Quaker, I suppose.
Quakers believe in free will, Calvinists believe in predestination.
Eh. Whatever. Mormons are big free willers, too.

Could've sworn Quakers were predestination folks...
The Quakers rejected the orthodox Calvinist belief in predestination. Instead, the Quakers insisted that salvation was available to all. It came, however, not through an institutional church, but from within, by following the "inner light" of God's spirit.
http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/docume … fm?doc=240
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5280

Jay wrote:

Ok Uzique. Whatever you say. Have you spent four hours a day studying differential equations or thermodynamics or materials science or wave patterns of electricity? No? You do understand that the equivalent to your 15,000 research paper is the scientific lab report, no? Math and science people don't write 15,000 word essays because they don't have to it's not what they are going to school for. Do you think that Spark writes massive essays about quantum mechanics? Fuck no. He's chasing a degree in theoretical physics, is that non-academic?
i'm talking about academic language. all i'm saying is you can't manage academic speech/writing because you haven't done it. i said multiple times that "i'm not saying engineering is easy", it's just not one of 'those' classical academic subjects where you have to write a shitload and sound like a pontificating preacher whilst doing it. hence your skills in that 'language' are shabby. i'm sure you can speak equations fine, but that's not the sort of everyday speech you were talking about in quaker school, is it? you're so over defensive that you're not even reading what i'm saying. it's quite a simple point, really.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ok Uzique. Whatever you say. Have you spent four hours a day studying differential equations or thermodynamics or materials science or wave patterns of electricity? No? You do understand that the equivalent to your 15,000 research paper is the scientific lab report, no? Math and science people don't write 15,000 word essays because they don't have to it's not what they are going to school for. Do you think that Spark writes massive essays about quantum mechanics? Fuck no. He's chasing a degree in theoretical physics, is that non-academic?
i'm talking about academic language. all i'm saying is you can't manage academic speech/writing because you haven't done it. i said multiple times that "i'm not saying engineering is easy", it's just not one of 'those' classical academic subjects where you have to write a shitload and sound like a pontificating preacher whilst doing it. hence your skills in that 'language' are shabby. i'm sure you can speak equations fine, but that's not the sort of everyday speech you were talking about in quaker school, is it? you're so over defensive that you're not even reading what i'm saying. it's quite a simple point, really.
I do have to change my speech patterns because I look at the world differently than I did before I started the program. Science people use big words too zeek. Anyway, this conversation is pointless. Who gives a fuck?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5280
you were the one writing 'ye olde raising of a most humble quaker childe' 2 pages ago in biographic detail... i was just calling you out, saying your lack of academic writing skill wasn't down to some religious-value. it's quite simple.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England

Uzique wrote:

you were the one writing 'ye olde raising of a most humble quaker childe' 2 pages ago in biographic detail... i was just calling you out, saying your lack of academic writing skill wasn't down to some religious-value. it's quite simple.
I was using academic speech as an example uzique. There are many ways to come off as high and mighty to the unenlightened. That's just one of them. Quoting obscure pieces of scripture would be classified as another. The whole idea of 'plain speech' is to be humble, not self-righteous.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|5221|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ok Uzique. Whatever you say. Have you spent four hours a day studying differential equations or thermodynamics or materials science or wave patterns of electricity? No? You do understand that the equivalent to your 15,000 research paper is the scientific lab report, no? Math and science people don't write 15,000 word essays because they don't have to it's not what they are going to school for. Do you think that Spark writes massive essays about quantum mechanics? Fuck no. He's chasing a degree in theoretical physics, is that non-academic?
i'm talking about academic language. all i'm saying is you can't manage academic speech/writing because you haven't done it. i said multiple times that "i'm not saying engineering is easy", it's just not one of 'those' classical academic subjects where you have to write a shitload and sound like a pontificating preacher whilst doing it. hence your skills in that 'language' are shabby. i'm sure you can speak equations fine, but that's not the sort of everyday speech you were talking about in quaker school, is it? you're so over defensive that you're not even reading what i'm saying. it's quite a simple point, really.
Generally true statement. We get a few engineers straight out of college, and they--to a one, regardless of institution--have rather poor writing skills. Could be a generational thing, could be an academic thing--could be both, I suppose. Hard to tell. I know the papers I had to turn in for me engineering classes back in the stone age were graded for technical as well as grammatical/literary content (realizing those two adjectives are not the same, Uzique).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,717|4916|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Ok Uzique. Whatever you say. Have you spent four hours a day studying differential equations or thermodynamics or materials science or wave patterns of electricity? No? You do understand that the equivalent to your 15,000 research paper is the scientific lab report, no? Math and science people don't write 15,000 word essays because they don't have to it's not what they are going to school for. Do you think that Spark writes massive essays about quantum mechanics? Fuck no. He's chasing a degree in theoretical physics, is that non-academic?
My Bachelors thesis was ~5,000 words, my masters thesis ~10,000 - on the fracture mechanics of polyvinyl chloride - fun times. Either would have been marked well down for poor style or english.

But yeah, the average lab report would equate to a 5-10,000 word essay I guess.
Epstein didn't kill himself
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4168|London, England
It doesn't count when half the pages are diagrams and photos
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,717|4916|eXtreme to the maX
I just counted the words, not even the pages of matrix transformations or electron micrographs.

On topic: Which religion has the least unpleasant hell?
Pretty sure thats my destiny - and I'm not going catholic to repent and avoid - fuck that shit.
Hindu - I guess I 'd come back as a tape worm or something.

Suggestions please.
Epstein didn't kill himself

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard