Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
cos everyone likes debating about religion, whether seriously or not.

Rather than have it spread out into off-topic banter, just bring it here and fight it out over here. That way if you wanna see it and be involved, just click the thread, if you don't, well its out of the way and you don't have to.

I don't want this to be a slaughter-fest thread or a belittling thread, just as close to debating as you can. If you can't keep away from personal attacks, you are probably arguing for the wrong reason.

Use this thread to widen your world view, not shrink it further.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
u guis should read ricard dawkins he's really intellectual and his books conclusively comprehensively absolutely kill all religious mongs DEAD
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
https://i.imgur.com/keYqW.jpg

edit: crap sorry didn't see this was DST. Well mods can remove it if they so desire.

Last edited by pirana6 (2011-12-06 18:37:31)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Almost done with a book about Islam. I mentioned it in the book club thread. Some interesting theology they have (muslims). I am not going to convert and still hate it, as I do all religions, but it's pretty cool to learn about it. I still have to do a bit if research about Judaism. My knowledge of that is pretty light.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
Yeah, im gonna try and keep this as mature as possible. I've said a few times here, I'm not against religion. I'm not an athiest. I'm pretty open to just about anything, but I just see a LOT of flaws.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
I think I may form my own religion.

Seems to be far easier than joining one and finding out the rules are rubbish/I have to fork out cash/its the wrong one so I won't be going to heaven.

We shall call ourselves - The Derpists.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Macbeth wrote:

Almost done with a book about Islam. I mentioned it in the book club thread. Some interesting theology they have (muslims). I am not going to convert and still hate it, as I do all religions, but it's pretty cool to learn about it. I still have to do a bit if research about Judaism. My knowledge of that is pretty light.
i like the lineage in the academic side of Islam.  You have differing factions using legitimate scripture/accepted trains of thought regarding certain subjects like the length of a man's beard.  It's a pretty stark contrast to the stubbornness of many Christian sects.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Can I interest any of you into joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
i really want to read the scriptures of the east/orient - particularly the hindu and buddhist. all the folklore and mythology presents a completely other grand narrative to our western tradition. entirely new forms and ideas and aesthetics expressed there that just aren't even glanced upon (until the 1880's, anyway, in the most superficial way) in western literature and thought. but i'll never become a believer, or develop any spiritual inclinations. i just think if we derive a lot of our folklore-type knowledge (parables in instruction) from the bible and all of our philosophy essentially from the greeks... what else is out there? kinda blows my mind. i've spent pretty much 13-14 years of my life reading every single day and soaking up the western canon like a sponge, but then there's this gargantuan Other out there. i have a lot of hindu/buddhist books and classics on my amazon wish-list. maybe some day...
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

I got really interested in Buddhism when I was just getting out of university.  I thought of it as kind of a natural progression from Catholicism -> Buddhism -> atheist -> nothing.  It's definitely something worth devoting time to.  I had a lot of literature on it from some different trains of Buddhist thought, but I looked for it a few years ago and couldn't find it.  Buddhism especially interested me because of the whole 'knowledge of self' idea.  It's much more introspective than anything else I've come across.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
yep, the introspection and lack of any deity makes it the most intensely philosophical religion. the other major world religions all have philosophy, of course, but they're purely scholastic and normally attempt to bridge gaps between metaphysics and ontology to 'justify' or 'define' a deity, i.e. a total waste of fucking time. buddhism is all about just getting to the bottom of you. the spiritual framework to me comes across in the same way that an alcoholic's anonymous 'greater than yourself' type spiel comes across... providing a transcendent social framework. anyway, i'm going back to reading white literature by haughty bitches.
Lipschitz
+1|4497|Upstate New York
I think human beings, in their quest to answer the great questions, established the institutions of religion to not only guide people in the right direction but to also give them hope and belief that there is a higher power in their lives.  However since religion is man-made it is subject to the same faults that human beings possess.  Eventhough great things are done everyday in the name of faith great evil is also committed and that is truly a shame.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
optimistic view. cynically, on the other hand... power, wealth, influence.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

I used to be one of those Hitchens lovers who thought that religion was the root of all evil when I was younger. As I have gotten older and expanded my horizons I eventually realized that religion though shitty in it's own way is just the symptom of the larger problem. The "problem" (quotation marks sense I don't think of it as a problem really but my philosophical views are for another thread)  being human nature. Now despite being an atheist I am many times more likely to defend religions and argue down the militant atheist. My older me thinks I have gone soft. /platitude
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

Lipschitz wrote:

I think human beings, in their quest to answer the great questions, established the institutions of religion to not only guide people in the right direction but to also give them hope and belief that there is a higher power in their lives.  However since religion is man-made it is subject to the same faults that human beings possess.  Eventhough great things are done everyday in the name of faith great evil is also committed and that is truly a shame.
As a Christian, I can agree with almost all of that.  I would change religion being man made to religious institutions, and agree.  There are certainly plenty of examples where imperfect humans ruined good religious ideas.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

RAIMIUS wrote:

Lipschitz wrote:

As a Christian, I can agree with almost all of that.  I would change religion being man made to religious institutions, and agree.  There are certainly plenty of examples where imperfect humans ruined good religious ideas.
^ Why I don't follow any one denomination of Christianity. I'm spiritual, rather than specifically denominationally, "go to church" religious.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Lipschitz
+1|4497|Upstate New York
^I'm the same way.  My parents made me do the "church thing" when I was younger and gave me parole for time served after I was confirmed.  It gave me a good foundation but I don't need to set foot in a church every Sunday to be spiritual or to be reminded how to treat my fellow man in my daily life.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i don't need religion to be reminded how to treat my fellow man in my daily life either
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Macbeth wrote:

As I have gotten older and expanded my horizons I eventually realized that religion though shitty in it's own way is just the symptom of the larger problem. The "problem" (quotation marks sense I don't think of it as a problem really but my philosophical views are for another thread)  being human nature

"The only real danger that exists is man himself. He is the great danger, and we are pitifully unaware of it. We know nothing of man, far too little. His psyche should be studied, because we are the origin of all coming evil."
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I think I may form my own religion.

Seems to be far easier than joining one and finding out the rules are rubbish/I have to fork out cash/its the wrong one so I won't be going to heaven.

We shall call ourselves - The Derpists.
I think you've been beaten to it by bronies.

Macbeth wrote:

Kind of studying your Abrahamic faiths out of order?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
If I had to pick a faith to follow it would probably be Quakerism. No priests/ministers/church hierarchy of any sort. Each person is their own link to the deity. And you get to wear cool hats.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
twiistaaa
+87|6639|mexico

Macbeth wrote:

I used to be one of those Hitchens lovers who thought that religion was the root of all evil when I was younger. As I have gotten older and expanded my horizons I eventually realized that religion though shitty in it's own way is just the symptom of the larger problem. The "problem" (quotation marks sense I don't think of it as a problem really but my philosophical views are for another thread)  being human nature. Now despite being an atheist I am many times more likely to defend religions and argue down the militant atheist. My older me thinks I have gone soft. /platitude
i am the same way, except every now and then i hear something so absurd coming from the religious camp i can help but go mental lol. but overall i'm much more relaxed about religious belief.

Last edited by twiistaaa (2011-12-06 20:51:26)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

Jay wrote:

If I had to pick a faith to follow it would probably be Quakerism. No priests/ministers/church hierarchy of any sort. Each person is their own link to the deity. And you get to wear cool hats.
Then there's the oatmeal. Can't forget the oatmeal.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Then there's the oatmeal. Can't forget the oatmeal.
The oil too!

https://www.racerchicks.com/images/logos/QS%20Logo.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Jay wrote:

That is different from most (all?) Protestant sects how exactly?

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-12-06 21:00:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard