Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

yes, but as a 'pure' sport and 'pure' competition, i couldnt claim to be the world's best in gymnastics since there's technically never a level playing field.  you'd always be 'the best' according to judge X, Y and Z.

whereas with running you pit yourself against your competitors with no judgement, the winner is clear.

obviously im not detracting from their physical commitment and discipline, im always amazed by gymnastics, its one of the few things i watch at the olympics.  its just not as 'pure' of a sport in terms of competition
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

Uzique wrote:

when you get into physical activity though you can divide it up into 'types': agility, stamina, strength, etc. you can't really compare, say, gymnastics (which is extremely pure and disciplined) with sprinting (extremely pure and disciplined in another sense) with boxing/wrestling (another sense, again). chess is pretty much the high benchmark for intellectual 'sport', or 'game' rather if you'd prefer.

mutant i remember watching a 2 hour long documentary about bobby fischer and it's still one of the best documentaries i've ever seen
I prefer Go. Chess teaches victory by attrition, Go teaches victory by cunning.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Macbeth wrote:

\
Female MMA doesn't do it for me. Seeing two men tear each other apart is interesting. Seeing two girls do it makes me feel bad for some reason.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
yep, can't argue with that.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

when you get into physical activity though you can divide it up into 'types': agility, stamina, strength, etc. you can't really compare, say, gymnastics (which is extremely pure and disciplined) with sprinting (extremely pure and disciplined in another sense) with boxing/wrestling (another sense, again). chess is pretty much the high benchmark for intellectual 'sport', or 'game' rather if you'd prefer.

mutant i remember watching a 2 hour long documentary about bobby fischer and it's still one of the best documentaries i've ever seen
victory by attrition? you've never seen some chess matches.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Chess teaches victory by attrition
Oh look john is talking about something he doesn't understand
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Much more interesting than watching two people play a board game you don't play yourself.
do you fight often yourself? it seems to me you watch this MMA shit cause watching muscly women grapple gives you some weird fetishistic hard-on. that doesn't sound much like spectator participation to me.
I said earlier that I don't much care for womens MMA.

At least I understand the sport more than you understand chess. It seemed very hipsterish to claim you can watch chess matches for hours and enjoy them while people who are actually into the game don't find watching live games to be interesting.
i don't have time to play chess as anything more than idle entertainment. how is it "hipsterish" to recognise the fine quality of chess as an absolute professional discipline? that's like saying it's "hipsterish" to acknowledge that formula 1 driving involves incredible skill when all you do is drive to work. no shit i don't play chess properly, i have a busy enough lifestyle as it is.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-18 13:52:59)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yes, but as a 'pure' sport and 'pure' competition, i couldnt claim to be the world's best in gymnastics since there's technically never a level playing field.  you'd always be 'the best' according to judge X, Y and Z.

whereas with running you pit yourself against your competitors with no judgement, the winner is clear.

obviously im not detracting from their physical commitment and discipline, im always amazed by gymnastics, its one of the few things i watch at the olympics.  its just not as 'pure' of a sport in terms of competition
If you wanted to sum up pure sports: the original Pentathalon.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Uzique wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

do you fight often yourself? it seems to me you watch this MMA shit cause watching muscly women grapple gives you some weird fetishistic hard-on. that doesn't sound much like spectator participation to me.

At least I understand the sport more than you understand chess. It seemed very hipsterish to claim you can watch chess matches for hours and enjoy them while people who are actually into the game don't find watching live games to be interesting.
i don't have time to play chess as anything more than idle entertainment. how is it "hipsterish" to recognise the fine quality of chess as an absolute professional discipline? that's like saying it's "hipsterish" to acknowledge that formula 1 driving involved incredible skill when all you do is drive to work. no shit i don't play chess properly, i have a busy enough lifestyle as it is.
It seemed hipsterish because you dropped chess into the conversation as the highest of human competition because of how much intelligence is a part of it. Then you started going on about how you can watch people play for hours because it's entertaining. It seems like you were trying to play up being intelligent but it got caught by someone who knows a lot about chess.

Pretty much like this
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique wrote:

victory by attrition? you've never seen some chess matches.
I don't watch youtube videos of matches or anything, no, but the basic premise is still not all that far removed from games like Risk or Stratego. All of those are attrition based.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
the basic premise is quite far removed from risk...
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6579

this talk of sport has actually reminded me match of the day is on
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum

Toilet Sex wrote:

i've missed motd2 so now i have to wait til weds
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum
and seriously gooners why do you do this
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

i don't have time to play chess as anything more than idle entertainment. how is it "hipsterish" to recognise the fine quality of chess as an absolute professional discipline? that's like saying it's "hipsterish" to acknowledge that formula 1 driving involved incredible skill when all you do is drive to work. no shit i don't play chess properly, i have a busy enough lifestyle as it is.
It seemed hipsterish because you dropped chess into the conversation as the highest of human competition because of how much intelligence is a part of it. Then you started going on about how you can watch people play for hours because it's entertaining. It seems like you were trying to play up being intelligent but it got caught by someone who knows a lot about chess.

Pretty much like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpIYz8tfGjY
are you kidding? lol i think you're being a little too desperate to read into something

i'm sorry i butthurt you over your fetish for dog women. i'm sorry you don't get laid very often.

me namedropping chess is just me giving my opinion of what is the pinnacle of 1v1 competition. to qualify that opinion doesn't mean i have to subscribe to a chess weekly and be able to debate with you about unconventional openings.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Uzique wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Pretty much like this
are you kidding? lol i think you're being a little too desperate to read into something

i'm sorry i butthurt you over your fetish for dog women. i'm sorry you don't get laid very often.

me namedropping chess is just me giving my opinion of what is the pinnacle of 1v1 competition. to qualify that opinion doesn't mean i have to subscribe to a chess weekly and be able to debate with you about unconventional openings.
I don't have to be red eyed and angry to tell someone they are wrong on the internet. That's the line you use all the time isn't it?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
in my very first post before you even asked me if i play chess i said in brackets "(i do not play chess)". but you still asked me anyway. so i repeated it to you again. i think you're really trying too hard to read something that isn't there. it's okay though you can feel intellectually superior to me when it comes to chess if you'd like. it it helps you.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pretty much like this

I don't have to be red eyed and angry to tell someone they are wrong on the internet. That's the line you use all the time isn't it?
i believe when i say that it is defending the tone of my posts, e.g. frequent use of swear-words and invective language.

people think i'm mad because of the way i type it, not because i'm telling them their opinion is wrong.

i still don't see how i was trying to "play up" my intelligence when i disclaimed my very first mention of chess with "I DO NOT PLAY IT"

perhaps you should learn how to read a post before you jump to fanciful conclusions

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-18 14:07:39)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Uzique wrote:

But it at least requires more than just a basic understanding of the game if you want to make that claim. You can't say it's "the best ever" without getting into the complex theories and strategies of the game. You can't name something great without knowing what makes it great.

That HBO documentary you watched on BF doesn't qualify as in-depth knowledge.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
you're trying way too hard.
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6579

FatherTed wrote:

Toilet Sex wrote:

i've missed motd2 so now i have to wait til weds
hmm, it started 8 minutes ago
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Uzi isn't responding back with paragraphs about how I'm wrong. I must have won.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Uzique wrote:

to be honest when it comes to the most 'intense' sport for 1v1, i think chess is the way to go for that. doesn't sound very exciting, i know, but if you're into chess it has a lot of drama (i am not into chess).
i don't think that, as my first post on the topic of chess, implies i am "talking myself up" at all. i think it's quite frank. i know of the strategy and intense mental demands involved in chess... i don't need to know them and have several dozen openers memorised in my head, should i ever come to play. i freely admitted i don't play. but i am aware of the game's complexity. of course not to the same extent as you (which seems to be the point you're relishing here, rather arbitrarily), but enough to forward my opinion that it's probably the most intense form of 1v1 match-up.

once again i submit that you are trying way too fucking hard

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-18 14:11:23)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478

Macbeth wrote:

Uzi isn't responding back with paragraphs about how I'm wrong. I must have won.
if it keeps you out of the psych ward to win imaginary fights with people over a completely self-invented 'contentious issue', then sure, go for it. i can tell your self-esteem is frayed because you are literally jumping down my throat for something that i did not say/do.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Uzique wrote:

Uzique wrote:

to be honest when it comes to the most 'intense' sport for 1v1, i think chess is the way to go for that. doesn't sound very exciting, i know, but if you're into chess it has a lot of drama (i am not into chess).
i don't think that, as my first post on the topic of chess, implies i am "talking myself up" at all. i think it's quite frank. i know of the strategy and intense mental demands involved in chess... i don't need to know them and have several dozen openers memorised in my head, should i ever come to play. i freely admitted i don't play. but i am aware of the game's complexity. of course not to the same extent as you (which seems to be the point you're relishing here, rather arbitrarily), but enough to forward my opinion that it's probably the most intense form of 1v1 match-up.

once again i submit that you are trying way too fucking hard
I didn't proclaim a game I don't play or understand well as the greatest 1 v 1 game in the world did I? Name dropping chess in response to MMA seems like the trying too hard to seem smart thing to do.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard