The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
No I think they're after actual guns.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
theres no calabrians in radelaide
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

No true Calabrians
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No true Calabrians
yeah theyre in melbourne instead
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Nothing like waking up with a migraine on your day off
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Do you normally drink coffee and skipped it yesterday? Drink coffee to make it go away. Or just caffeine. Or decaf to trick yourself (ymmv with that one)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm down to maybe a couple energy drinks for emergency boosts, and otherwise less than a half dozen coffees a year. I can't say I really miss the annoying expense of cans and supplies. Or the huge mandatory tips at coffee stands.

Will take a chocolate mocha if offered, though.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I've been trying to skip caffeine as much as I can, I had terrible anxiety last summer that I think was exacerbated by my caffeine intake leading up to the summer, and I'm trying not to get it going again now that the warm weather is starting to come back
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

re: light pollution

why the heck does my phone screen, in the middle of the night, have to turn on for the device to self-update. like two solid minutes of flashing on and off, bleeping, blorting, and finishing off with the splash sfx and the screen fully on before finally going into sleep mode for good. a second longer and the contents of my sock drawer may have had company for the remainder of the night.

meanwhile, the computer on the other side of my place flicks on for a windows update and someone might as well be pointing a flashlight into my window.

relevantsquidward.gif
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Try switching them off.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I want my phone and computer to be able to update during down time. That's a great feature. What isn't great is that they broadcast it with a light show. Why should I bother having to cold boot my PC every morning only to have Windows Update take over with a mandatory patch when I'm trying to send an email, that could have been downloaded and installed at 3am.

re:re:re: light pollution, other devices emitting obnoxious amounts of light just because they're plugged in, and electrical tape over all the offending sources is such a tacky-looking solution.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

cc: job thread

<gadget exploding letter meme>

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-04-11 03:34:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I want my phone and computer to be able to update during down time.
Why do they even need to update? All they seem to do is install battery nerfing software and features I don't want.

this message will self-macbeth
I've reached interest overload on most things.

Don't want to recycle passwords

Don't want to remember 100+ passwords

Accounts/passwords are stored on two pieces of paper, with the passwords  x-ed out mostly but comprehensible to me - most of the time.
Line up the two pieces of paper - problem solved.

Also a photo of each, one on my phone and one on my camera.

Trivial ones which don't matter if they get hacked are stored as emails to myself in my pst folder.

When I add up the amount of time I spend protecting my assets from theft, typing in passwords, entering pins in my devices, doing 2FA etc it really makes me think we should just cut thieves hands off.

Would Madoff have stolen all that money if he'd know he would be blood-eagled? I do wonder.
If Australia were losing 10 shipments of iron ore to pirates every year they'd probably send the Navy out to fuck them up, but Indian telephone fraudsters who cost the country more - nah its an individual responsibility thing - don't be old and get scammed.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2023-04-11 02:30:18)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

imo the inconvenience of losing those things and having to claw back your accounts is worse than the inconvenience of keeping them simply organized, even if on a piece of paper in blocks. there are even more steps i could take if i wanted, but i haven't had a problem with my stuff in a long time that was ever my fault.

even if passwords themselves are about as good as a casual lock on a bathroom door, i wouldn't keep photos or notes of any of that stuff on my phone. i know people who freely text their stuff out, or share personal emails for other people to use for their accounts. makes it hard for a third party to figure things out when the metaphorical shit hits the metaphorical fan.

also, though i haven't run into it personally in awhile, i know people are still using 'password' for their password. it's 2023, smh, you guys have been using consumer grade computers for decades now.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-04-11 13:55:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I want my phone and computer to be able to update during down time.
Why do they even need to update? All they seem to do is install battery nerfing software and features I don't want.
I don't actually mind receiving security patches and bug fixes. Additional bloatware and signing me up for stuff I didn't sign off on, nty.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I have, through some fault of my own and some not my own, jumped jobs a few times in the past years and having a separate 401k plan for each position is confusing and a pain. Trying to consolidate them is 10x worse. If they're all under the same 401k company, it's slightly less worse, but still not great.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

When I switched jobs I was able to get a conference call together with the two providers and have them do all the work. It was a lot easier than I expected. Thinking back it was the new provider (Empower) that made it super easy.

I can definitely see how it could be a pain in the ass though
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Funny you mention that. I just got off a call with the plan I was rolling away from and she was super helpful but the new plan told me to make a check out to:

Fidelity Investments
[new company name]
FBO: pirana6

Three lines worth of data but the old plan had only space for 2. She suggested we hop on a quick conference call with the Fidelity and figure it out super quick and the Fidelity guy sounded super new and unsure and in the middle of the call was trying to sell me on stuff... Like dude clearly there's 3 of us here and were in the middle of something.

Oh well we got it figured out in the end. Still a pain to move 401k money around.

Dumb question: when applying for benefits at a new job, can you forgo your company 401k to put everything into a personal one? Can you tell them to pound sand with their 401k company and just give them the info of your 401k company? Or is that not a thing?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

No, generally the company match is dependent on the funds going to a specific investment firm.

You might be able to negotiate that during the hiring process, but doubtful that you would be able to throw it into any account of your choosing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You cucks and your 401K. Get a job with a pension.

I know you guys get paid better
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

A real American retirement plan is becoming mushroom food in a national park once you turn 50. /s
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Here you choose your own super provider, any company is obligated to pay 10% on top of your salary into the fund you nominate.
There've been enough scams that the govt mandated it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Dilbert_X wrote:

Here you choose your own super provider, any company is obligated to pay 10% on top of your salary into the fund you nominate.
There've been enough scams that the govt mandated it.
or just run your own fund or go to a big fund with good investment options.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm tired of clocks being everywhere in my life except where I need them, and the stupid, obnoxious blinking that some of them do when they need reprogrammed after the power goes out, 12:00! 12:00! 12:00! Like a ten minute task for all of them. Giant squares of LCD and LED light all contributing enormously to overall light pollution. In the kitchen, it's the fridge, microwave, oven, rice maker; even the kettle, I think. At least one VCR and a DVD player have them, along with the TV. At least two analog clocks on my walls that need tweaked periodically. It's on my startup screen and desktop (on my BIOS before I even get to those), when I hit shift-tab in Steam, or turn on my phone, and I'm fairly sure the old PSP and DS have their own. There's even one on the old outdoor thermometer. Prominently in my peripheral vision on the car radio, with the person on it occasionally announcing the time in case I didn't know. Every time I pass a major bank there's a digital display alternating between time and temperature. In some communities, a bell tolls to announce the passing of each hour like a call to prayer.

Conspicuously absent at the pharmacy or in waiting rooms. Sparse in bathrooms and laundry rooms. A very rare feature for a game to have real time in the HUD, which I enable whenever present.

Whenever someone asks me the time:

https://i.imgur.com/8Q5vqET.png
https://i.imgur.com/BHAilxi.png

If I had a teaching job like Mac, I'd replace the wall clock with an hourglass.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-04-25 14:31:05)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Setting the time on the microwave for the fifth time this week like:

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-04-25 14:51:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard