unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

How could you read the full contents of that article and not know it's satire. Suggestion bar with gems such as "X-Ray Reveals Vestigial Third Handle Inside Nintendo Switch Pro Controller" and "Zoo Employees Unionize and Present List of Demands to Tycoon Who Keeps Letting Them Get Mauled by Animals"

I agree though, it's going to catch people who just read the headline and maybe a paragraph or two in (like clickbait COVID reporting contributing to all kinds of misinformation growth), especially if dumped into an aggregator with no categorization or labeling for satire.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Video Game Studio Has Great Idea to Also Make Breath of the Wild
https://hard-drive.net/video-game-studi … -the-wild/

REDMOND, Wash. — Video game studio Parakalo announced that their upcoming release, Divine Infinite Ultimata, was inspired by their idea to make Nintendo’s Breath of the Wild.

“Coming up with an idea for a video game is incredibly difficult; we played a lot of different genres to get a feel for what we wanted to do with ours. But when I was playing through Breath of the Wild, I was struck with inspiration: what if we just make a slightly uglier version of this exact game? It was a revolutionary idea,” said Divine Infinite Ultimata director Brandon-Lee Fuller. “Taking all the mechanics and art style of Breath of the Wild, but making the protagonist a guy wearing more clothes? It’s never been done before. That’s why we’re so excited about what we’re doing here. I hope fans have fun cooking, climbing, and killing goblin-like creatures all over the wonderful landscape we’ve created for them. But with microtransactions or something.”
Breath of fresh air.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
There's no, or very few, expensive houses for sale around me on zillow/RF.

I'm poor as dirt so I'm not in the market, but I do like casually browsing to see how the other half lives, and imagine my life owning those homes, but now there's none to browse. Hopefully just a winter thing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

pirana6 wrote:

There's no, or very few, expensive houses for sale around me on zillow/RF.

I'm poor as dirt so I'm not in the market, but I do like casually browsing to see how the other half lives, and imagine my life owning those homes, but now there's none to browse. Hopefully just a winter thing.
Family is in the process of selling their home. The best time to sell is in the spring and summer.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
It looks like there was an error in the per share dividends on my IRA with a missed decimal percentage thing, so the rate was $3.95/share instead of $0.0395/share which is much closer to previous years. As such, I was awarded a decent sized sum at the end of the year. Still waiting to see if they correct this, but I'm not exactly expecting it to stay.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
Error where they gave away too much money? They'll blow open your door with C4 at 2am to get it back.

Error where they kept too much money? Meh, if nobody notices they won't correct it and if they do they'll drag their feet for a few years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Worst hangover of my life. I keep vomiting. I can't keep anything down. It just goes right back up. I took some Pepto-Bismol and immediately drew it up. Very thirsty. I am slowly drinking Gatorade to stay hydrated but it is hard
uziq
+492|3449
i did ask why anyone would want to drink champagne when it wasn't for an occasion. it's horrid. bad headaches.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

I told him champagne would give him headaches too. Listen to your elders, mac.

Go to your local corner market and get pedialyte.

Staying hydrated is key, even if you're throwing it right back up. Throwing up cold water is better than dryheaving, and slowly some liquid will work its way into your system.
uziq
+492|3449
korea has really mastered the art of heavy drinking. those guys skullfuck and mix alcohol 3 times a week, even and often with their work colleagues, and still tramp into the office, 5 days a week, for their 50-60 hrs a week. i have no idea how they do it. whenever i drink a lot now i need, like, a day of recovery, minimum.

they have entire refrigerators in their convenience stores just full of korean pre-drinking alcohol tonics. pre-load with drink x, consume powder y, stack electrolyte drinks the morning after, etc. they've refined the whole process.

https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/0*2sfTFU1dVJMFscfT

https://www.smartshanghai.com/uploads/articles/2018/12/9861545621779.jpg

you see these powder sachets on everyone's work desk. every girl carries them in her clutch or handbag.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

And yet there is no conclusive evidence that any "hangover cure" works.

Pre-drinking things...yeah sure, you can be smart about limiting a hangover. Drinking water while you are out is always good too. Making sure you eat before you drink is always good.

I have friends who get IVs after a night out. I think you should probably rethink your nightlife strategy if the next day involves getting b12 mainlined into your bloodstream.

My old CEO was an EVP at Samsung. He used to tell me how they would go out drinking all night then show up at 6am the next day. Normal work culture there. He said it was especially harsh on the new hires, who were expected to take part and work the same hours without the years of building up tolerances. Fuck that life.
uziq
+492|3449
these things are just stacked full of caffeine, electrolytes and a dump of poor chemical/vitamin substitutes etc. probably doesn’t work in any comprehensive way.

it helps that koreans always drink with food. lots of food, typically. in the U.K., by contrast, binge drinking normally happens at the pub. food intake minimal. and of course no one drinks water.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

uziq wrote:

these things are just stacked full of caffeine, electrolytes and a dump of poor chemical/vitamin substitutes etc. probably doesn’t work in any comprehensive way.

it helps that koreans always drink with food. lots of food, typically. in the U.K., by contrast, binge drinking normally happens at the pub. food intake minimal. and of course no one drinks water.
v true, koreans drink during kbbq and eating copious amounts of fried chicken haha.

i found hydralite b4 bed and lots of water and carbs help with limiting a hangover.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

My Korean gf is allergic to alcohol so she doesn't really have the hangover problem 🙂
uziq
+492|3449
i’ve met a few like that in my time. 1-2 drinks only and then it stops being pleasant. suits me fine and dandy.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
My stomach is Kazakhstan.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Seems like alcohol can be a … helluva drug.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Only drunk to excess very occasionally in a work context, probably only 3-4 times in my life I was not 100% the next day.
One time was wheat beer, for whatever reason that annihilates my head.
The only time I've ever felt pressured to drink was by the last CEO and had no problem telling him to get lost.

Otherwise didn't even drink much at uni, couple of pints on a Friday - except the annual beer festival obviously.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Only did drugs to excess very occasionally in a work context, probably only 3-4 times in my life I was not 100% the next day.
One time was a wheat-derived drug, for whatever reason that annihilates my head.
The only time I've ever felt pressured to do drugs was by the last CEO and had no problem telling him to get lost.

Otherwise didn't even do drugs much at uni, couple of pints on a Friday - except the annual drug festival obviously.
uziq
+492|3449
wheat beer is incredibly sweet and relies a lot on complex sugars for its flavour, so you were probably suffering a huge sugar withdrawal too as well as dehydration. that happens a lot when people drink sweet soft drink-alcohol mixers.

i’m astounded that someone who went to imperial didn’t have any fun. it’s legendary for its frat parties and sorority orgies.

you can’t say no to works drinks in japan/korea. it’s a really negative part of the culture, imo, and the alcohol part can be really destructive. a lot of high-functioning alcoholics in this society. (and a lot of non-functioning ones too, but they do a good job of keeping their homeless or destitute populations out of the public eye.)

i’ve said it before, but these nations need a second drug. and i don’t mean hard drugs. even a weed or equivalent would go a long way towards relaxing the rigidity of social life here. instead everyone gets blasted on alcohol all the time because it’s all they know - sometimes disastrously so. but nevermind. it’s no harm to me, being on the outside, looking in. koreans will get their summer of love, their grateful dead, their disco. perhaps it’ll take a version of a vietnam. let’s say taiwan.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-08 00:28:30)

Larssen
+99|1884
I don't get hangovers, peace suckas
uziq
+492|3449
drink 7 whiskey club sodas and rail half an eightball of coke and then get back at me, mr. tough guy.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I think I am mostly better. I am quitting drinking. Seriously.
uziq
+492|3449
when i cut out alcohol entirely - not even with meals - for the first 1.5 yrs or so of the pandemic, i felt incredible. much better, more restful sleep. actually experiencing all of my weekends and being awake and productive in the mornings. physically i looked better than ever, too. better skin, dropped all the fat off my face.

9/10 would do again.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Alcohol is poison. Can you imagine what the world would be like if ancient humans developed a taste for cannabis instead of alcohol? Marijuana never made me this sick.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard