unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That happened this year, right? why were you getting wasted in public during a pandemic?
Practically no cases here, no social restrictions at the time.
But really, it doesn't take much to start a super spreader event even in a bucolic suburb.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its at least useful to have an idea of things so you can pull people up before they leave you with a shitty job.
Oh absolutely, it doesn't hurt to have some basic familiarity of what to expect even if you don't know how to do it. It's just that I wouldn't, for instance, expect a person busy with their own job and life to go get a cisco cert or whatever so they can diy their office building's network. There's like a thousand different things you'd have to specialize in to be as qualified as someone you'd call in. Even mechanics for example has different sub-specialties. A parts plugger working at a Ford dealership (and certainly not a dad who checks his own vehicle's oil as his peak ability) probably isn't going to be as handy at it as an independent mechanic who works on everything from 1970s dump trucks to sports cars of various makes and models.

If I was stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario there's a bout a million things I'd want to do before getting to drywall expertise.

Engineers are typically the most dangerous people in a factory or on a construction site as they think they know everything.
Uncontested. It's always fun seeing site plans for a remodel or whatever from an engineer using an outdated or wrong blueprint.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
'Experts' are often too lazy to keep up to speed with developments.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Except in professions where you have to requalify from time to time. Or if you retire and teach your stuff at a tech college but still have to keep abreast of developments to keep your course relevant.

I'm a little weary of the word "expert" being used as the butt of some big joke. Article in a science mag talks about the newest findings of the experts, a lay observer rolls their eyes. "What do they know? They're always changing their minds!" OK, pal. Keep getting your opinion from people like Rush Limbaugh and his bizarre stand-ins since the opinions of non-experts apparently matter more. You're not some sheeple under the boot of the maleficent technocracy!

fwp: hearing firecrackers off in the distance, thought my mechanical drive was experiencing issues
uziq
+492|3444
south korea are reviewing their overall covid measures tomorrow, w/r/t the third-wave they're experiencing and the increased threat from the new strain.

today they've released the info that all incoming foreigners from jan 8th will require a negative PCR test before boarding the plane (that is, a negative PCR test before the PCR test they are given on arrival at the airport, and the 1-2 further PCR tests they have to take during their 15 day quarantine). that's 3-5 nasal and throat swabs in 2 weeks. pretty fucking hardcore.

lots of people have commented on the news that the UK strain entered korea via a returning korean national (including an 80-year-old in their family, who sadly passed away). natch. a lot of countries seem to be really good at enforcing things on foreigners and letting their own nationals slip through in blindspots. returning koreans can also quarantine in their family homes, as well, which does not bode well if the new strain now (and soon to be) dominant all over europe is +50% more infectious.

a similar thing happened a few months back in the 2nd wave. life was back to normal in RoK but a new cluster was found around an incheon club (i.e. foreigner destination). widespread tabloid backlash against dirty, no-good foreigners, etc. at present, korea's covid situation is 1000+ community transmissions per day and ~20 from inbound arrivals (100% of whom are screened upon arrival at the airport and quarantined). so many countries will sleepwalk into covid complications because of policies like this ...

finding a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding shouldn't be too bad for me. i'm not overly concerned at this point.
lil_droo
+19|1487
your boy got strep throat fuck. ruined my NYE and NYD plans but feel better this morning other than my throat still being sore. i go skiing NYE morning/afternoon and as i'm driving back i start getting some chills out of no where and body aches a bit, slight fever i think but not sweating or anything. first thought was covid ofc so i just go home and lay low. feel like shit all day friday still but stay by myself. no cough or anything and still got sense of smell just hurts like fuck to swallow. feel better this morning but still go to urgent to get tested or for covid or see what the doctor has to say. they look at my throat/tonsils and shits swollen as fuck so they order a strep swab and get positive results like 5 mins later.

they recommended antibiotics but i declined since i googled some shit that said it can go away on its own usually but to seek care if u get a fever again or something so ill just burn it out. i tried getting some codeine/promethazine syrup but no luck lol. i didn't wanna directly ask since that's drug seeking behavior so i was saying like yeah it's hard to sleep and i already tried robitussin and tylenol but that convo went no nowhere lol. i haven't sipped lean in years and that shit is expensive on the street so i thought i'd at least try but no luck.

it's crazy because i'm pretty sure this is the 2nd time i got strep in the past 3 months. back in october i think it was i had the same symptoms etc but didnt go to the doctor that time. bad luck
gang shit
uziq
+492|3444
stop eating out the ass of hookers you meet at insta-bang parties.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
Yeah, find someone to develop a meaningful relationship with and eat their ass.
lil_droo
+19|1487

uziq wrote:

stop eating out the ass of hookers you meet at insta-bang parties.
i did spend sunday night at my friends house and naturally i tongue punched her ballon knot but i dont think u can get it from that. it's from oral mucus stuff so like kissing sharing drinks etc. could be i just happened to touch a door knob or something that someone sneezed by and then touched my nose/mouth afterwards. its pretty contagious
gang shit
Larssen
+99|1879
What's with the increasing amount of garbage on the bbc's page? 'The queen who unashamedly loved sex', 'The benefits of having many lovers', 'the dangerous downsides of a fitness obsession' - these are the sort of shit headlines I expect from tabloids
uziq
+492|3444
i don't see any of that on the main bbc news webpage?

with that said, the wolves are sharpening their knives and going for the bbc, big time. if they have their way it won't exist in its current form anymore. god knows what sort of schemes the directorate are trying to deploy to avoid the political bloodbath.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Probably not seeing some stuff as I think its only visible outside the UK
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
Winter break is over tomorrow. So I put the vape pen away, shaved, cleaned up my bedroom, etc. Just 6 months until summer break. I feel like Amy Winehouse
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Larssen
+99|1879
Dead, you mean?
uziq
+492|3444
i've felt like amy winehouse a few times in my life. something about the way sunlight filters through camden on an early sunday a.m. ...
Larssen
+99|1879
I felt dead this morning because I had the bright idea of eating a giant bowl of chili just before bed and sleeping only about 6 hrs. Totally not rested, do not recommend.
uziq
+492|3444
cheese on it? doesn't cheese/dairy fuck with your sleep cycle. i always heard something about having active dreams if you eat cheese before bed.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Tried flaming hot cheetos today, do not recommend.
The first time I've only eaten half a packet of crisps.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

cheese on it? doesn't cheese/dairy fuck with your sleep cycle. i always heard something about having active dreams if you eat cheese before bed.
Banana does it for me.
uziq
+492|3444
i eat my daily banana in the morning with my daily coffee. a potent combination. great for runs and/or being regular.
Larssen
+99|1879
I think it's just because it was a heavy meal and your body needs to expend some energy to digest. So actual resting time is shortened. Also beans.
uziq
+492|3444
yes but does cheese make you trip hypnagogically? asking for a friend.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
I don't need cheese to have wild dreams tyvm
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Larssen
+99|1879
I don't like cheese

I mean I do like cheese in dishes or a pizza but too much cheese or just cheese fk no

Last edited by Larssen (2021-01-05 10:35:00)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

No charcuterie for Larssen? How do you bide your time at those EU mixers?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
I have lasagna tonight. Should delay it a bit and go to bed early to explore the cheese hypothesis.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard