Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6105|eXtreme to the maX
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/1d/e1/1a1de1b038208c8e29abd758b630fc99.jpg
Big fat nope for air travel, or anything else really, the plastic just tears through.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-29 15:49:28)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I would put several layers of saran/shipping wrap around any firearms I shipped. Baggage handlers don't really get paid enough to give a #*&. Take it up with corporate.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My car needs an intermediate service which amounts to an oil and filter change, I do the basic ones myself and my car is almost worthless.
Probably it needs some new struts, and its worth having someone give it a look over.

I feel I should put my car into the dealer and money into the economy but they've fucked up a few things and every time I try to do something good I end up getting punched in the balls and regretting it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

This reminds me of times when I gripe about poor service and someone comes back with a "well, then do it yourself." Sure let me drop everything, buy every tool on the planet, get every cert, and master every random skill I might need to hire someone for. This isn't Groundhog Day.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Sure let me drop everything, buy every tool on the planet, get every cert, and master every random skill I might need to hire someone for.
Thats exactly what I do on most things.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
Exactly. Way more efficient to do your own prostate exams.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Sure let me drop everything, buy every tool on the planet, get every cert, and master every random skill I might need to hire someone for.
Are you also a master plumber and maybe about 5,000 other things?
uziq
+492|3451
to the above, i'm obviously carrying all my valuables and electronics in my carry-on luggage, not handing over a case to the baggage handlers. my point was i don't want to be travelling around constantly with it, anyway. it only has to go missing on a train or be dropped once and i'm fucked.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Plumber yes, bricklayer, tiler, roofer, car mechanic, carpenter, joiner, electrician, cat psychologist - thats just the weekends.

One of my colleagues can troubleshoot pretty well any electronic or electromechanical machine made in the last 50 years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

to the above, i'm obviously carrying all my valuables and electronics in my carry-on luggage, not handing over a case to the baggage handlers. my point was i don't want to be travelling around constantly with it, anyway. it only has to go missing on a train or be dropped once and i'm fucked.
Just don't get robbed, my parents saw someone get relieved of his laptop bag in a hotel lobby, classic two-man distraction job.
uziq
+492|3451
south korea and japan have some of the lowest rates of crime anywhere in the developed world.

it's a meme that in south korea you can leave your laptop and belongings at a cafe table, unattended, go shopping, and come back to the cafe to find your stuff still there and the table still reserved.

i would definitely think twice about my belongings and travel arrangements if i were going to brazil or the philippines.

Last edited by uziq (2020-12-30 05:44:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I haven't had the energy to really post the last few days. But my parents seem to be sticking together. My father (56) had been seeing a woman who is 43 for the entire duration of the pandemic because my mom is a shut in who doesn't want to get sick meanwhile the lady is a dummy who wants to go out.

At the family meeting we had where my dad I guess thought he was going to magnanimously announce he planned to stay in our lives I angrily unloaded every negative thought about this I had. Basically he told me that I had to pay the mortgage and was the man of the house now but he would continue paying for everything else. I told him that there would be endless acrimony between his kids and the lady and we would never accept her. I told him he needed to find a new place to store his Corvettes, motorcycles, and other stuff because if I am paying the mortgage that shit isn't staying here. I said my estimation of him as a man plummeted. I told him that the lady wasn't going to stay with his old ass forever. I told him I would also tell her every negative and embarrassing thing about him and asked how he planned to explain all of it. That set him off and made him angry and he almost left but stayed and continued to talk to my mom and sister while I made coffee. He kept talking to my mom after the kids left and my mom was pretty much like "I already forgive and love you" and he is staying back at home again.

My dad is still upset at me and we haven't talked even though we are under the same roof. My mom and sister said he is really hurt by how spiteful I was willing to be and how I was willing to cut him out of my life so quickly. They said everything I said was true though and they were thinking it even if they weren't going to say it. My sister says she thinks I "snapped him back into reality" when I unloaded on him about how poor everything was going to go if he went through with leaving.

My mom and sister said I should apologize but I don't really have the motivation to start the conversation since I don't think I said anything wrong. My family knows what kind of person I could be when angry so it was naive of my dad to think he would be immune from something like that. I am not 15 anymore or even 20 anymore. I wasn't going to get sad, cry, and beg him to stay after him almost detailing everything.

More thoughts: marijuana is a miracle drug. I think up diabolical revenge plans but then vape a little marijuana and become as forgiving as Buddha. The lady my dad has been cheating on my mom with calls him everyday at 4 PM to chat for an hour. She is a manager for the Board of Elections. I was going to fill a complaint with her job that she was using her tax payer funded work time to pursue an adulterous relationship and uses social media with her job description to look for these sorts of relationships. That would have been an annoying thing to have to deal with for her. I also had the contact information for her parents so I was going to call her 70ish year old parents to let them know how I felt too. My younger sister also contacted the lady's same age daughter to unload on her mother. The mother apparently got upset at my dad because my sister went hard at her daughter and her and she got a taste of the "endless acrimony" I promised. She would probably run for the hills if she knew some of the violent fantasies I had about her daughters that in my good judgement I haven't even shared with my sister and mother who would be mortified. But I like I said I got high and came to the conclusion no one needs to get hurt over this stuff. Aren't I a good Catholic?

Finally this would make Ken happy but I was already planning to move out if my contract is renewed in September. I am definitely going to do so now because I don't want to have to deal with this again.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451
it sounds like a very predictable situation in many ways. this is very pandemic 2020, regardless of any prior events in your parents’ own relationship. anecdotal and not much use to you again, i know, but one of my good friends has spent the pandemic cooped up with his long-term partner who is basically hypochondriac. after a probably pretty joyless year doing the bread winning and caring and concern bit, he’s pretty restless too.

people react to stress very differently and it sounds like your dad went off on a flight of fancy with a new woman and a ‘new life’. that’s the promise of all extra-marital affairs i guess. the burden of everyday responsibilities has been felt a lot more this last year because there’s been so little opportunity for the fun/reward stuff. i don’t want to be over-deterministic on this point as obviously your parents have their own relationship dynamic.

i can understand both your response and your mother’s, different as they are. both positions make total sense from each of your perspective. i don’t think you really need to apologise to your dad but then again i don’t know what you said specifically and in what manner. telling him that he’s effectively having a mid-life crisis and seeing a floozy doesn’t strike me as the harshest of judgments. it’s probably pretty fair to say. things will probably climb down from the natural detente over time as everyone cools back into the groove of reality.

re: finances and being the man of the house. well, yeah, that’s an awkward thing for most millennials thesedays. parents can easily turn the ‘you’re 25/30/35 now!’ card on you and complicate things. i would really recommend getting your own space, for the mental headspace and freedom alone, if it comes to your dad flipping his mortgage on you out of some defiant gesture. if he wants to walk away from the family home then you should make it clear you’re doing so as well, and not merely picking up what he’s left. regardless of your age or ability to pay, it’s his mortgage ffs and his affair.
uziq
+492|3451
oh and just one more thing: sometimes parents really do separate emotionally, fall in love with other people, and move on to other healthy, happy chapters in their lives. all that stuff about ‘we will never accept another woman’ sounds a bit drastic, but i can understand it in the heated circumstances.

from the way your dad was announcing you’d have to pay for everything whilst he remained magnanimous, this doesn’t sound like one of those situations. it sounds like he’s just trying to rebel against the (perceived) cage he has found himself in.

one day you might have to think about being nice to another lady though and considering his happiness too. it’s entirely possible and not unreasonable. but a 1-year affair and lumping you with the house payments is not the way to go about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Plumber yes, bricklayer, tiler, roofer, car mechanic, carpenter, joiner, electrician, cat psychologist - thats just the weekends.

One of my colleagues can troubleshoot pretty well any electronic or electromechanical machine made in the last 50 years.
A whole Groundhog Day's worth of expertise and you can't drive your own cab or read a history book.

Anyway, there's a difference between a handyman and a master xyz.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why would I want to drive a cab while drunk? Makes no sense.
Of course I'm not a master, but typically although it takes me 5-10 times as long to do something the end result is usually better and cheaper.
I can't count the number of times we've employed someone and they've fucked it up, or I've had to delve into old work and found it fucked up and dangerous.

MacB - Sorry to hear that.
People stuff isn't really my thing so I won't attempt advice.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-12-31 05:16:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

That happened this year, right? why were you getting wasted in public during a pandemic?

I've hired many competent contractors for stuff, but only ever really mention the bad ones here. A man stapling a knot of wires to the outside of your house is more interesting to read about than the fencing, tree removal, or plumbing company who was in and out, courteous, and professional.

Meanwhile I know a handyman who was doing their own corrugated metal roofing and had an unfinished part of it blown off during a windstorm and land in a neighbor's yard. 5x as long and maybe 5x as many mistakes.

Re: diy electrical work - can depend on local and national laws and licenses/permits (and sometimes even resident/deed status) for some work.

Anyway most of my derision here is reserved for people who just come back at a failed job story with "well learn how to do it yourself!" The whole point is that many people have better things to do, and should at least expect competent work for competent pay. If I get a basement dug out, there is literally no chance you're going to get me mucking around with concrete in the cold depths under the house. I'm not a dwarf.

I wonder how many pugnacious handymen have been hurt or killed at a task because they sent their wife's contractors away, insisting on saving a buck. Like pal, you can't even remember to turn the stove off at night, there's no way I'm going to trust you to wire up and install a ceiling fan.

e: can find some interesting anecdotes about engineers and architects who think they know what they're about, but dig themselves into trouble and need a hand to get out of it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That happened this year, right? why were you getting wasted in public during a pandemic?
Practically no cases here, no social restrictions at the time.

Its at least useful to have an idea of things so you can pull people up before they leave you with a shitty job.

Engineers are typically the most dangerous people in a factory or on a construction site as they think they know everything, although typically its the engineer who has to disengage all the safeties to see if its a faulty safety stopping things working or to just get the job done.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
I woulda thought it was the local drug addicts driving the forklift
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We got rid of the meth-head storeman who was stealing memory chips and selling them on ebay, pretty safe now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Not worth much unless they are factory sealed and EoL
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
thieves dont care. they steal tape measures
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Not worth much unless they are factory sealed and EoL
We make memory chips, they were factory sealed, EOL and some of them custom.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

eMMC?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Legacy DDR2 I think, thats all I know, I have nothing to do with it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard