unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Week old but it's a confusing sort of one-upsmanship for someone from a hot climate to laugh at people up north dealing with temperatures they're not accustomed to, equipped for, or residing in buildings designed to withstand. Like I'm sure they themselves don't panic over a quarter inch of snow. I'll bet they'd have no idea what to do with themselves in a Chicagoan ice storm. "The weather is so bad right now, it's been raining for two days!"

Old person in northern europe: croaks of heat exhaustion.
Texan: "HAHAHAHA, lightweight."

My place isn't exactly designed with Mediterranean weather in mind. The AC being knocked out made it a miserable maze of fans.
uziq
+492|3448
it's pretty relative, isn't it? a heatwave in a northern country with insulated houses, no AC, and a woolen wardrobe is going to be pretty miserable.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Besides, hearing that kind of talk from someone who lives in a place known to melt the odd dashboard really makes it seem like they're fishing for some kind of praise. Climate as military service or something.

I'm not certain I've ever heard an Alaskan making fun of a contiguous American for not packing seal fat and crackers in the middle of an arctic storm a state or two below the Canadian border, but I could be wrong. I guess Washingtonians have been known to make fun of Californian driving skills in wet weather, so self-awareness and all that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

punching down on immigrant taxi drivers and humbly bragging about your own status when you live with your parents. lol. so much to unpack here. hey meeeester nice retirement neighbourhood.
Here's how it was supposed to go down:

"Hi, can you take me to suburb X?"
"Sure, its after 9pm so I can ask for the esimated fare in advance, should be about $50"
"OK"
"We're here. The total according to the meter is $55"
"Here's $10, goodnight"

Here's how it actually went down:

"Sure, its after 9pm so um, I can, um, how about I charge you, um, a flat $50 and I don't put my meter on?"
"OK"
"So you live in suburb X? I bet your house is worth a million dollars, how did you get so rich? You must be well qualified. Which company do you work for? Do you live by yourself? Are you renting or do you own the house? Where is the company you work for? Are you out all day?"
"We're here. Its, um, you can give me an extra $5"
"Here's $10, goodnight"

Here's how it should have gone down:

"Sure, its after 9pm so um, I can, um, how about I charge you, um, a flat $50 and I don't put my meter on?"
"OK"
"So you live in suburb X? I bet your house is worth a million dollars, how did you get so rich? You must be well qualified. Which company do you work for? Do you live by yourself? Are you renting or do you own the house? Where is the company you work for? Are you out all day?"
"Hang on, you said it was a flat fare. I don't care that you're defrauding the taxi company and the tax-man but a deal is a deal so you can get lost"
"Also why the fuck are you asking all this personal information?"
"Also break into my house, if you can work out which it is out of the twenty in the street, you'll be going out down the drain"
"Also get a haircut, something I can set my watch by, you look like a vagrant"
"Also how the fuck did you get into my nice country, you unctuous sepoy?"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2020-08-27 21:26:14)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
well done dilbert, have a cookie.

you should have told him you’re still living at home and don’t have a wife or kids. even by mother-coddled indian male standards, in the developing world where people still apparently shit in the street, that would mark you as a tremendous failure.

maybe that’s why you got sensitive, and why you normally take pains to hide?

you sure showed that taxi driver!

maybe get an uber if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of small taxi companies and their dodgy metering policies? this can’t be the first time in your life you’ve encountered that. have you never been to spain or italy?

Last edited by uziq (2020-08-28 00:28:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was the largest taxi company in town. I don't like the business model of uber or that they've undercut taxi firms which pay taxes and have paid fortunes for licences.
In future I'll take a bus or a limo, they're barely more expensive.
uziq
+492|3448
you come across as literally autistic. uber drivers always try to start conversations. they do an extremely boring job, talking and meeting people is a small perk. do you also scowl at your hairdresser and mutter under your breath about them ruining ‘your’ country (lmao, australia est. 1985?)

why couldn’t you just humour the guy with polite badinage? instead you post a racist rant on a forum somewhere. VERY odd behaviour. normally if i’m in an uber hungover or without wanting to talk, i keep my head down and read something on my phone. i’ve had some great convos with drivers about their lives and views of the city on other occasions. christ none of this is very consequential stuff.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Oh I did humour him, however I'm really really tired of people trying to get personal information out of me so I can be robbed, and its always Indians.
uziq
+492|3448
are indian gangs burglarising homes a big problem in australia?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Indians running scams and hacking bank accounts are a big problem in Australia
uziq
+492|3448
pretty incredible that you would associate a taxi driver with internet scams just because they have the same race, to be honest. i’m sure a low-level taxi driver in the australian suburbs has close ties to bank hackers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

uziq wrote:

you come across as literally autistic. uber drivers always try to start conversations. they do an extremely boring job, talking and meeting people is a small perk. do you also scowl at your hairdresser and mutter under your breath about them ruining ‘your’ country (lmao, australia est. 1985?)

why couldn’t you just humour the guy with polite badinage? instead you post a racist rant on a forum somewhere. VERY odd behaviour. normally if i’m in an uber hungover or without wanting to talk, i keep my head down and read something on my phone. i’ve had some great convos with drivers about their lives and views of the city on other occasions. christ none of this is very consequential stuff.
I think maybe a dentist or a dental hygienist not trying to have a conversation with you while there's stuff in your mouth would be nice, but I think it will always be an enduring meme.

"So, are you going back to work today?"
"Mmmf mmmf mmmf."
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
Macbeth really needs to get his ass back on here to contribute posts on a variety of disparate subjects. He's very much a discussion facilitator.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

WFH Today, Apocalypse Miaow thinks its all-day playtime
https://i.imgur.com/RzJYLU6.jpg

I would cheerfully sacrifice every last one of you......
Larssen
+99|1884
Nice rug
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

punching down on immigrant taxi drivers and humbly bragging about your own status when you live with your parents. lol. so much to unpack here. hey meeeester nice retirement neighbourhood.
Here's how it was supposed to go down:

"Sure, its after 9pm so I can ask for the esimated fare in advance, should be about $50"
"OK"
"We're here. The total according to the meter is $55"
"Here's $10, goodnight"

Here's how it actually went down:

"OK"
"Here's $10, goodnight"

Here's how it should have gone down:

"OK"
"Hang on, you said it was a flat fare. I don't care that you're defrauding the taxi company and the tax-man but a deal is a deal so you can get lost"
"Also why the fuck are you asking all this personal information?"
"Also break into my house, if you can work out which it is out of the twenty in the street, you'll be going out down the drain"
"Also get a haircut, something I can set my watch by, you look like a vagrant"
"Also how the fuck did you get into my nice country, you unctuous sepoy?"
Old reply again, but (and speaking as someone who is usually silent on road trips unless a conversation is struck up) not everyone who is talkative and outgoing and not painfully reserved is trying to steal your identity or case you out for burglary, dilbert. It's good to be cautious, but at some point it seeps into paranoia. I imagine he thought he was being polite by giving you an opening to low-key boast about your achievements as a man.

Also, how petty are you over $5? You've got a cozy engineering job (I'd imagine Jay gets more site time in as a clipboard warrior), and this guy gets to shuttle pudgy bigots all day. You asked for estimated fare, right? You have to know what an estimate is.

Unless I'm mistaken, you did move there didn't you? How do you personally justify picking apart another immigrant. Between this and your strange ideas about black people, I dunno man.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I didn't ask for any kind of fare, its more that his first instinct was to rob his company and then me.
uziq
+492|3448
get an uber if you don't want to deal with dodgy fare policies and ear-tugging. i can't speak for australia, but it's pretty common knowledge here that your smaller private taxi cab firms are going to be way more open to haggling or even openly ripping you off if you're a tourist/not from the area.

the last time i ever got a taxi rather than an uber was when i was absolutely hungover the morning-after-a-night-before, stuck in some godforsaken satellite town with an hour and a half to wait for my connecting train, so i opted to just go to the station taxi rank and get a driver home instead. the driver's face when he saw me (white, working-class british guy, not indian fyi) was a picture: beaming shit-faced grin, knowing i was going to be taken for a ride and pay just about any price in my sad sorry state. and the guy did absolutely rinse me. he was even chuckling about it with his taxi driver pal before we commenced our journey. i didn't mind because that's just what you deal with with piece of shit private taxi companies, and, after all, it was me who had gotten myself into that situation of desperately needing a ride home (like you, too, dilbert).

Last edited by uziq (2020-09-01 01:53:16)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

It was the largest taxi company in town.
I wasn't "desperately needing a ride home", it saved me about half an hour.

Anyway, I've learned my lesson, in future I'll not try to put some money into the economy and support a local business and its staff, I'll get the bus
uziq
+492|3448
i'm sorry but you can't simultaneously use 'supporting local business' rhetoric and berate the indian immigrant taxi driver, accuse him of having ties to organized crime, bank hackers, burglarizers, etc. that's just straight-up slippery fascist bullshit. 'supporting local' and hating the immigrant community that typically do these unglamorous and poorly paid jobs ... lol. you really are a piece of work, dilderp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My view is probably coloured by getting the endless scam phone calls "Hellor sar,  thees is to be yar bank carlling, there is actavatee on yar account, please to give me yar account number and passcord ummediately and I can help you with fuxing that thankyou."

So yeah when Indians start asking for personal information - like how much the house I live in is worth and if I'm out all day - its going to create some needle, more so when they shamelessly rob me.
uziq
+492|3448
i mean, it is literally the definition of racism to think that, because you get scam calls from a certain destination, a country of 1.4 BILLION people must ALL somehow be involved in criminal activity, scams, organized crime, etc. the overwhelming likelihood is that your taxi driver was a decent, law-abiding australian trying to hold down a job and improve his life, but no, you think all indians are basically criminal or criminally adjacent.

would you accept such crass stereotyping about your englishness, a country of mere 65 million? lol.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they perpetuate the stereotype by scamming me in person then it somewhat reinforces the stereotype.
uziq
+492|3448
ok. again, a taxi driver asking you questions is called smalltalk, not 'omg organized crime, a scout for the indian's bank hacking burglary mafia'.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK. again. never mind.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard