Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
I started jumping rope while I'm unable to attend my usual gym, and it's not even close to a proper 30min stair climb session. I could jump rope for 4 hours and it'd still fall short. 6 miles of walking, which is not exactly taxing on the cardio system, ain't gunna do shit, chief.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
Can't have high blood pressure if you never test for it.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

RTHKI wrote:

Can't have high blood pressure if you never test for it.
Big brain plays right here. It's Schrodinger's cardio!
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
uziq
+492|3444

Pochsy wrote:

I started jumping rope while I'm unable to attend my usual gym, and it's not even close to a proper 30min stair climb session. I could jump rope for 4 hours and it'd still fall short. 6 miles of walking, which is not exactly taxing on the cardio system, ain't gunna do shit, chief.
yeah you need sustained high heart-rate for cardio to start being effective for your left ventricle/heart muscle health.

cycling 1.5 miles to a station -- what's that? a 5 minute sustained ride? a 10 minute coast without pedalling? is not 'exercise'.

oh and i'm envious that you can skip rope. i bought a decent one at the start of the spring and i am useless at it. thought i could skip the woodland/trail jogs on some days and just stay at home, but damn i am bad at skipping.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
It'll come to you. There's a rhythm to it that's easiest to get right if you think about smacking the rope into the ground just as you jump. Keep at it--it's handy to have as an option when a trip away from home isn't doable.
uziq
+492|3444
doesn't help that all the fancy ropes nowadays are, like, fucking garrotting steel wire and not rope. every time i fuck up i lose 3 inches off my shins.

definitely a skill i want though. figured i'd pick it up because my ankles and feet were hurting after running on long and uneven trails for a while. need to build up strength in my ankles.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
Those heavier wires are actually great. Much easier to keep the momentum in the arch and put in less wrist movement. If the wire's hitting your shins it sounds like you might consider holding your hands a little closer and lower to your sides to add some length to the arch. Give it some experimentation.

Hear you on the running pains! For me it's usually my shins that start to ache. It seems to fall short of truly being shin splints, but it's enough that it's not enjoyable. There's several good trails through the ravines around here that I've run on, but after 10K of running it's a slow defeated walk back to the casa to ice my wounds.
uziq
+492|3444
merci merci for the tips.

i used to get absolutely horrendous pains in my shins, normally after running lots downhill. changing my shoes helped. trail shoes are actually worth it, if you're doing all terrain and lots of hills. took me a few weeks to adjust my gait but now it's a cushioned dream. i've got some asics. do recommend!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
I used to enjoy running before the army. Now I'll only run if there's a sport involved.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444
i'm sure you do lots of high-intensity sports at 40, jay.

time to start thinking about your cardiac health, old-timer.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
Running is a sport
uziq
+492|3444
remember, jay played football in high-school and passed basic PT to be a network admin in the military, so he is in-shape and has tip-top health for the rest of eternity.

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-01 06:25:07)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

re: jump ropes

For me, rapid pace jumping jacks feel more intense than jump rope, but jump rope is also more relaxing (e: and less jarring over time). Also coordination practice, and still decent cardio. Overall highly rated by fitness journals.

Probably zero shame in finding your rhythm with a softer rope or the schoolyard-style plastic segmented ones that won't slice your shins. Uzique, do you have the correct length? ~275-300cm or 9-10' should do pretty much everyone here unless we have dwarves or giants present.

If Jay took it up it could be something he could do with his kids on his spacious suburban property instead of grouse about how hard it is to live with them.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

uziq wrote:

merci merci for the tips.

i used to get absolutely horrendous pains in my shins, normally after running lots downhill. changing my shoes helped. trail shoes are actually worth it, if you're doing all terrain and lots of hills. took me a few weeks to adjust my gait but now it's a cushioned dream. i've got some asics. do recommend!
ASICS make good trail shoes!
uziq
+492|3444
best investment i've made so far since covid has probably been the ASICS and a little backpack. i really enjoy running in the woods, alone, with a podcast for an hour or taking some books and fruit/drink etc and making a few hours out of it. i can't really stand doing laps of a track or stop-starting in an urban environment all the time for roads, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. running from a-->b or in a very wide loop is just so much better. variation of terrain, things to see, little waymarkers for progress ...

i ran a lot through my grad school studies, especially when stuck on a long piece of writing or research. suuuuper useful.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711
My dad is 54. He had to call out of work today because his back hurts. He is 6 feet tall and 185. So his BMI is technically overweight. He was also a pog in the Army like Jay.

People like Jay who are heavy tend to have back problems late in life. Take care of your back. That is one thing you can never recover if it ever goes bad.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto
It's Canada Day here in...Canada, so as is tradition I'll be out in the garden getting day wasted on Bombay Saphire. Do ring if you need me. I have civic duty to attend to.

Last edited by Pochsy (2020-07-01 09:41:09)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

@mac Depending on his frame though that's not too bad for 6'. Might have pulled a muscle doing something else.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3711

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

@mac Depending on his frame though that's not too bad for 6'. Might have pulled a muscle doing something else.
He is pretty muscular. I looked at the BMI thing and he is technically in the overweight category by .02 barely worth mentioning.

It's Canada Day here in...Canada, so as is tradition I'll be out in the garden getting day wasted on Bombay Saphire. Do ring if you need me. I have civic duty to attend to.
Lucky you. I just got a flash flood/thunder storm warning on my phone. The phone said "don't go outside unless you are fleeing flooding"
https://i.imgur.com/4HpTX3R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444

Pochsy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdiBG_TYZHA
enjoy. the commonwealth was the best thing that ever happened to you.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
Canada Day: a few days before US independence day
Canadian Thanksgiving: a month before US thanksgiving

you guys always gotta be first huh
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

uziq wrote:

best investment i've made so far since covid has probably been the ASICS and a little backpack. i really enjoy running in the woods, alone, with a podcast for an hour or taking some books and fruit/drink etc and making a few hours out of it. i can't really stand doing laps of a track or stop-starting in an urban environment all the time for roads, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. running from a-->b or in a very wide loop is just so much better. variation of terrain, things to see, little waymarkers for progress ...

i ran a lot through my grad school studies, especially when stuck on a long piece of writing or research. suuuuper useful.
I still use my New Balance I've had for years now. Once they start tearing apart I will probably buy some ASICS.

I actually just bought this little day pack on tuesday:

https://www.rei.com/product/148595/rei- … print-pack

https://i.imgur.com/fGLsVcP.png

13oz / 370 grams weight, 22 liter pack. Even has a slot for a water bladder/camelback if you're in to that.

I plan on using it for a quick little 10 mile hike on Friday morning.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

He is pretty muscular. I looked at the BMI thing and he is technically in the overweight category by .02 barely worth mentioning.

Lucky you. I just got a flash flood/thunder storm warning on my phone. The phone said "don't go outside unless you are fleeing flooding"
BMI is nonsense. I was considered obese by it even when I had a sixpack. It doesn't account for muscle mass or frame.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6729|Oxferd Ohire
It's nonsense for athletes not the average person
uziq
+492|3444

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

BMI is nonsense. I was considered obese by it even when I had a sixpack. It doesn't account for muscle mass or frame.
you thinking you have good cardio health because you walk 6 miles in a day is nonsense.

what's your resting heart rate? how long can you sustain aerobic exercise?

Last edited by uziq (2020-07-01 11:40:04)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard