uziq
+492|3450
jay is a stats expert and has lots of experience with modelling.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
Can I join Jay's club?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
uziq
+492|3450
it depends. how big is the population of the US?

do you have a pack of paper napkins and a biro?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
the fucks a biro

I have no napkins but do have my zebra pens from high school and college. Blue ink.

Last edited by RTHKI (2020-05-15 12:31:02)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I wouldn't invest any time or money into a game if I saw it had hundreds of dollars worth of DLC. I suggest you not bother with EU4. The learning curve is very steep. The last few DLCs have been criticized as just including a bunch of new buttons to click but the upcoming one looks good. I think they worked on the next one for over a year. It's also unusual for a game to get nearly a decade of updates and support.

I was going to pre-order Crusader Kings 3 but I doubt it now. A fancier map and more RPG elements? Meh. If it included Total War style battles I would be very interested. The same thing with EU5 if there is ever one. Unless they add real time battles I wouldn't get that either.
The ship has sailed on that. I already picked up the base game on a deep discount long ago. Just waiting for the dlc to get sale-priced way down or appear in part on humble bundle or something. I played it for a few hours before going back to a Vicky 2 save I had going at the time.

Jay wrote:

It's amazing how incredibly cheap some video games are as entertainment. $190 looks like a lot, but it's only cost macbeth $0.11 per hour.

Even if you only got 10 hours of play time out of a video game costing $60 it's still way less expensive than spending $20 on a 90 minute movie.
Yeah no kidding. If I played each Paradox game over 1000 hours, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. It's more principle than anything. For 50, maybe 100 hours, there are probably better ratios in the video game world. $35 up front for a game I might play 800+ over many years, sign me the heck up.

I don't like being nickel-and-dimed for technical content that I think should be in the vanilla game. Scenarios, graphical overhauls, new music, or even technical stuff that requires some reworking of the map? Fine, that kind of stuff is just to be expected anymore and being annoyed won't make it go away.

/fwp
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Also, what uzique said. Movies are way cheaper these days than a game that makes you pay to buy it and then buy about a dozen individually underwhelming DLCs on top of that to properly flesh it out.
uziq
+492|3450
the average AAA game these days has a single-player campaign of about 7-8 hours. the multiplayer is routinely shit, and not designed to last. they milk it with paid DLCs and loot crates, and then launch a whole new sequel the next year, so you have to buy another one. are you duped into re-buying a film every year for the exact same shit, unchanged? probably not.

bf2s had a neat stat that showed you the cost/hr of the game. back when games genuinely were a cheap diversion.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

i bought CS:GO for i think $3 on a steam sale and played it for a good 3000 hours. Probably best cost:benefit ratio of any game I've played.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6683|United States of America
I'm already at $0.50/hr for the newest XCOM and I'm already planning to replay it once I finish.
uziq
+492|3450

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

i bought CS:GO for i think $3 on a steam sale and played it for a good 3000 hours. Probably best cost:benefit ratio of any game I've played.
orange box is definitely the best purchase of all time, i think. what was it ... half life 2, portal, team fortress 2? gary's mod? christ.

also 3,000 hours on cs:go? that game was ass. i am downgrading your credit rating.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

it was the only CS game i played with any frequency, and essentially the only video game i played for about 4 years, besides the odd dabble in D3 or SC2.

It's a good game. Millions of people still play. I think it has the most concurrent users out of any steam games. Or it did very recently.

and admittedly, probably at least 1/6 of those hours was me falling asleep with the game open.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

uziq wrote:

the average AAA game these days has a single-player campaign of about 7-8 hours. the multiplayer is routinely shit, and not designed to last. they milk it with paid DLCs and loot crates, and then launch a whole new sequel the next year, so you have to buy another one. are you duped into re-buying a film every year for the exact same shit, unchanged? probably not.

bf2s had a neat stat that showed you the cost/hr of the game. back when games genuinely were a cheap diversion.
I think Star Wars could be used as an example of edition exhaustion. People made fun of how many different releases there are. But it doesn't make you go online and then charge you 15 extra dollars to unlock the sword fights.

Not in defense, but if I play a AAA shooter for 8 hours, that's still like $7/hr. Certainly not pennies, but way cheaper than pumping quarters over a similar amount of time was at the arcade.

It's problematic that people feel pressured to buy into a ton of DLC just to get the complete experience, and that this sort of model dictates content and gameplay balance in the vanilla release.

Ex: "you can pay to get these items quickly, but they're still otherwise free! we just made it so you have to grind for 10 hours instead of 30 minutes."

Honestly, #*(& right off with that, game companies.

It doesn't have to be like that. Plenty of successful games have little to no additional paid content.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm already at $0.50/hr for the newest XCOM and I'm already planning to replay it once I finish.
The one with the alien diversity team?
uziq
+492|3450

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

it was the only CS game i played with any frequency, and essentially the only video game i played for about 4 years, besides the odd dabble in D3 or SC2.

It's a good game. Millions of people still play. I think it has the most concurrent users out of any steam games. Or it did very recently.

and admittedly, probably at least 1/6 of those hours was me falling asleep with the game open.
it was a downgrade on cs:source in almost every way, especially with the loot boxes and lame shit. and source was a downgrade on 1.6. this is irrefutable fact.

i don't think it has ever had more concurrent users than dota2. i could be wrong on that though. you can have that.

know who else tops charts? JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

I think I played like 4 matches of CS:GO tops. Far from the previous incarnation being one of my Steam anchors.

Orange Box was amazing.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
I accidentally hit subscribe to topic about once a week on mobile
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I have a zoom meeting Friday with the director of blah blah blah.
https://regmedia.co.uk/2020/03/31/shutterstock_wfh2.jpg
So I need to shave, and give myself a basic haircut.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

No you don't.

I've been seeing wild beards and hairstyles in meetings. I've heard multiple people say they aren't going to shave until the world goes back to normal.

"Whatyearisit_jumanji.jpg"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I look nothing like my LinkedIn photo dude. I look like this while unusually am completely clean shaven with a buzz cut.
https://cdni.rt.com/files/2018.03/article/5aa7dd5fdda4c8dc5b8b461e.jpg
uziq
+492|3450
i have worse hair than trump right now. yes i am still wearing pyjamas with a collar in meetings. fuck you jay.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
I'm going full viking beard. Fresh haircut though!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I haven't cut my hair in at least 3 months now. I shave every few days because I hate facial hair.

No one is going to chide you for your hair. I'm guessing its really a deep-seated fear of being mistaken for a Muslim. All your antagony and catholicism posturing is a manifestation of your own insecurity due to your lack of pure blood. Makes sense
uziq
+492|3450
hey man, paul of tarsus looked like that. and matthew was a syrian!!!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3718
I might just shave and brush down my hair. It looked fine the last time I did.

I find it amusing when I get mistaken for an Arab in real life. I have a special fondness for Arabs in fact. It's a shame they all aren't Catholic like Hispanic people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

No you don't.

I've been seeing wild beards and hairstyles in meetings. I've heard multiple people say they aren't going to shave until the world goes back to normal.

"Whatyearisit_jumanji.jpg"
For real though they should keep up on shaving. Starting again can be a bit rough after months without.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard