uziq
+492|3452
lol jay linking to mike rowe ahahah
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Why is that funny? He's launched an initiative to promote the trades and offer scholarships to trade schools. He's doing good things.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Mike Rowe is such a phony. Dude went to college and got a fine arts degree. Was an opera singer until he started acting. Once he got a show being a tourist in blue collar America, he adopted this persona as a working class hero. He now goes on Fox News and panders to old people by talking about the free market and job creators. As if the free market gives a fuck about blue collar workers or their issues. Fuck everything about that guy.
Maybe he's a phony, maybe he's seen the light.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Good luck to anyone who anyone who chooses to sneer and look down on or underestimate anyone else or their trade or profession, whether its they guy who delivers your heating oil or your accountant. Treat them wrong and you're going to get raped. Display ignorance and they'll fuck you over.
What a particularly gruesome display of excuse-making for these wholesome blue-collar cretins. The rape metaphor in particular just says it all. Bravo.
Do you think its different in white-collar land?

Is it better to be ripped off by someone with a posh voice, clean fingernails and a row of certificates behind his desk?

Which is nicer to bend over for as you line someone else's pocket with your hard-earned cash? The insurance policy you don't need, the risky medical procedure which will likely take you backward, the buy-in to the already doomed investment fund, the knowingly uselss legal advice? etc etc

White collar graft is at least as prevalent, and instead of taking you for 100, or 1,000s of dollars they relieve you of 10s or 100s of thousands of dolllars in the long run. I guess it just feels worse to be fleeced by someone you perceive as dumber and less knowledgeable than you instead of smarter.

I don't romanticise anything.
My argument was never that white collar folks don't rip people off. But yours is apparently that greater theft justifies lesser. The notion that it's correct to steal from people who don't know they're being robbed is a morally bankrupt regardless of sum. That people think it's the victim's fault for being robbed is ugly. And that whole "people deserve to be raped huehuehue" even metaphorically sends Cosby-level shivers of revulsion down my spine.

Also, somehow there's this insinuation that it's OK to pay to go out and eat (for example) but not OK to pay for an oil change. What fundamental difference is there between the two services? Maybe I don't feel like working on my car the same way I may not feel like scrambling eggs. Paying for either doesn't make me feel like less of a person. Do you feel guilty for paying for a haircut when you could just cut it yourself?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm not saying any of that, I make my choices, theft at one level doesn't justify theft at another.

People who are too lazy to do a bit of research, and especially those who sneer at those they consider beneath them, shouldn't be surprised when they come a cropper.
uziq
+492|3452
no one here was exactly sneering at tradespeople. i refuse to romanticise them with all that sentimental, compensatory bullshit about 'the underdog'. but no one sneered at them. i said to jay that giving his kid a blue-collar name would have been disastrous for his little mock-tudor lifestyle.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
Tyler is not a blue collar name. When I hear Tyler I think of a white kid in the suburbs.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3452
the name is literally an adaptation of 'bricklayer'.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

the name is literally an adaptation of 'bricklayer'.
It's popular over here. Probably peaked in the 90s though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
Tyler Durden laid bricks on your face.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
When I think of blue collar names I think of Anthony and Angelo. So many Tonys working blue collar jobs.
uziq
+492|3452
sounds very specifically italian-american.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

its bc NJ and NY is full of dumb 6th generation Italian-American families that try desperately to hold on to their Italian heritage, but they are stupid fucks who don't strive for anything more than to jackhammer cement and crush beers down by da shore.

I was actually pretty shocked when i was on the east coast a few years ago and all the manual labor was white.  Coming from SoCal where there's more Mexicans than anywhere but Mexico, it was weird to see white people digging ditches, laying sod and cleaning dishes.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
Mexicans are the top chefs in NYC.

Jobs with the City of New York are the some of the safest kind someone can have. This includes some blue collar jobs like Dept of Transportation and Dept of Sanitation.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2017-02-23 13:28:48)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

uziq wrote:

no one here was exactly sneering at tradespeople. i refuse to romanticise them with all that sentimental, compensatory bullshit about 'the underdog'. but no one sneered at them. i said to jay that giving his kid a blue-collar name would have been disastrous for his little mock-tudor lifestyle.
I love this headline

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/entertai … in-school/

Malcolm Turnbull tells those relying on penalty rates that “they should’ve listened in school”
"These people are old-fashioned dumb," he said.
Turnbull has come under significant criticism for cutting Sunday penalty rates, with one affected punter challenging the PM to live off $600 a week – a figure set to fall by up to $80 a week thanks to to cuts.

“I don’t have to live off $600 a week because I’m not a dumb cunt,” said Turnbull.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3452
that seems to be a satire website for australian politics and is fairly convoluted.

bearing in mind no one gives a fuck about actual aussie politics let alone clever private eye-style mockeries of same.

i don't know what a sunday penalty rate is

please précis
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

its bc NJ and NY is full of dumb 6th generation Italian-American families that try desperately to hold on to their Italian heritage, but they are stupid fucks who don't strive for anything more than to jackhammer cement and crush beers down by da shore.

I was actually pretty shocked when i was on the east coast a few years ago and all the manual labor was white.  Coming from SoCal where there's more Mexicans than anywhere but Mexico, it was weird to see white people digging ditches, laying sod and cleaning dishes.
Did you just stay in NYC? In the city, construction jobs are union and pay very well. Especially the government contracted ones. So it is mostly white guys who can get their cousin or nephew into the union regardless of their skill while everyone else gets shut out. If you go into the suburbs or into NJ, you will find a lot of construction sites that aren't run by the government have immigrant labor. I might even say the majority are.

I like Italians. Can't say much bad about them except that whole mafia thing. Not them being connected to it but every time you get into an argument with one they will mention their "uncle in the mob" or something. Organized crime is a blight.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Depends on where you are in the city. There's a lot of Indian labor in the Bronx and a lot of Chinese in brooklyn. The big ticket high value jobs in Manhattan are usually white guys.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Did you just stay in NYC? In the city, construction jobs are union and pay very well. Especially the government contracted ones. So it is mostly white guys who can get their cousin or nephew into the union regardless of their skill while everyone else gets shut out. If you go into the suburbs or into NJ, you will find a lot of construction sites that aren't run by the government have immigrant labor. I might even say the majority are.

I like Italians. Can't say much bad about them except that whole mafia thing. Not them being connected to it but every time you get into an argument with one they will mention their "uncle in the mob" or something. Organized crime is a blight.
Actually i was in Boston and Cape Cod hahaha.  I'm not trying to make any type of statement based on what i saw - just mentioning it because it was genuinely shocking to see manual labor performed by white people instead of mexicans.  It's like when you go to Canada and all the menial jobs are performed by Sikhs and Indians.

I have family members with nebulous connections with "the mob".  Gambling and accounting type stuff.  I also have cousins that have switched their names back to the original Italian spelling and are active in their local Italians club, or whatever.  It's fucking weird. They are just like other "X-Americans" that take an outsized pride in their heritage, as if that makes them better or more pure than other -American mutts.  Guess what, bro? Your grandma's gabagool ain't better than anyone else's.

I just found out I have to for sure go to South Korea next week.  Anyone been? Unfortunately I have something to attend to next weekend so I won't be able to properly enjoy Seoul, but I'm open to some suggestions.  Maybe I'll try to find Citizen One
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6693
I've been to Seoul. Visit outdoor food markets and taste everything. The parks are a nice respite from the endless urban sprawl. Bring a face mask in case Chinese air decides to blow over.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

that seems to be a satire website for australian politics and is fairly convoluted.

bearing in mind no one gives a fuck about actual aussie politics let alone clever private eye-style mockeries of same.

i don't know what a sunday penalty rate is

please précis
Best country in the world, not the best politics perhaps.

People get double their normal hourly rate if they work Sundays.
uziq
+492|3452
1.5x – 2x pay for overtime is usual here too.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is sunday work mandated as overtime?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

uziq wrote:

1.5x – 2x pay for overtime is usual here too.
penalty rates are you just get 1.x amount over your normal pay just for working on that day.

big hub hub in this country since our min wage is set by an body independent by the government and now people are blaming the government and the minority party is trying to get shit changed (which they helped set up the independence of fairwork).

essentially a whole lot of hub hub about people going to be poor because they're going to be paid 1.5x on a sunday instead of 1.75x
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

hehe

it's hubbub

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard