Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6631|Little Bentcock
whats mine?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6114|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

people who use those tags are such fucking retards.
Thank fuck my test didn't come back 'UZIQ'.

They're as good a bracketing as anything, better to play to your strengths.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3728

globefish23 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You still haven't updated me on which Mortal Kombat character you are.
Reptile
That's awesome. I got Sonya Blade
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3461

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

why is jung more applicable than, say, freud? both are full of their own mythos and literary symbols. jung is more of a comparative mythologist than an actual, clinically valid psychologist. if you subscribe to his bizarre 'archetype' theory then you may as well go in for freud's stuff about wanting to fuck your mum as well. buy one get one free.

both thinkers are very interesting when talking about art and culture, because their influence is so great... and because their thought is based more on greek myths than empirical study.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Do people actually treat Jung scores with such reverence that they build their lives around them, in the same manner as the zodiac crazies?
uziq
+492|3461
i'm asking why anyone gives them any credence at all, not 'basing their lives around them'. oh wait, i know why, it's because they make everyone's boring fucking life seem full of metaphysical properties and obfuscatory mystique. 'yeah i'm an Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving type of person'. no you're not, you're a sad cunt that spends too much time on reddit crying at youtube videos. go make friends and stop comparing autism cards.

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-22 14:24:07)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

haha in my experience it's largely girls who bring it up.  That's the reason I've done the test in the past.

Here's my "OMG I'm so high rt nao"" take on it:

pattern recognition is an integral part of brain function, and slotting ourselves into easily definable characters like pisces or INFJ is an easy way for us to alleviate the brain's constant search for comparison.  Speaking for myself, I often look for signifiers that allow me to say simply, "oh im just like that".  I think we as humans constantly look to compare/contrast ourselves against others, and attributing easily repeatable and understandable signifiers to ourselves makes the compare/contrast process that much easier.

Puff puff pass, dudes
uziq
+492|3461
jung's whole schtick is that there's a collective unconscious permeating all of humankind, a level where myths and archetypes malinger like the shadows of underwater mammals. punch him into youtube and see 101 stoner morons talking about how much jung opened their eyes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

yeah i think the reading is interesting, because it's plays into the natural curiosity we have about why and how we are the way we are. i just don't really take it as real whatsoever.  I'm also someone who doesn't believe in the symbolism of dreams for the most part.  It makes me laugh when I see books on dream interpretation.

I'm picking a friend up from LAX at 7.  Her flight just got delayed until 8.  I will probably leave at 6 and sit in LA traffic for 2 hours.  It's about a 38 miles.  Stupid fucking LA traffic.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

why is jung more applicable than, say, freud? both are full of their own mythos and literary symbols. jung is more of a comparative mythologist than an actual, clinically valid psychologist. if you subscribe to his bizarre 'archetype' theory then you may as well go in for freud's stuff about wanting to fuck your mum as well. buy one get one free.

both thinkers are very interesting when talking about art and culture, because their influence is so great... and because their thought is based more on greek myths than empirical study.
As a Leo I think I should be the bigger man and walk away from this argument.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3728
Typical Leo
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I've never really agonized over people reading horoscopes or dabbling in numerology. To me, Lighting a candle, hanging a dreamcatcher above your bed, claiming a typical spirit animal, reading Willow, or taking a Jung test to alleviate afternoon boredom is just stuff to help pass time. Is that even a Capricorn attitude?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5367|London, England
I'm obviously an Aries
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3461

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've never really agonized over people reading horoscopes or dabbling in numerology. To me, Lighting a candle, hanging a dreamcatcher above your bed, claiming a typical spirit animal, reading Willow, or taking a Jung test to alleviate afternoon boredom is just stuff to help pass time. Is that even a Capricorn attitude?
it's not just stuff though is it? nothing is just inert stuff. it all has a semiotic meaning, an inscribed social ritual. no human behaviour 'just is'. this shit proliferates for a reason. stopping your ears with wax won't prevent you from being seduced by the sirens, my friend. i feel profoundly sorry for anyone who has sat down and spent time doing a 'personality test', hoping it will confirm some specious bullshit to them. you sad fucking bastards.

GNŌTHI SEAUTON

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-23 04:40:57)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

When I say I've shrugged off religion, I mean that in a somewhat superficial way. I'll have a laugh at some of their bullshit, but the ghost of childhood indoctrination (fwp) still leaves me feeling (albeit decreasingly over the years) irrationally guilty about silly stuff before I catch myself and turn it into proper resent. But I never really find myself tossing and turning on sleepless nights over what my lucky numbers on a fortune cookie tape told me.

I'm not surprised that others pay heed so much as that you say there are so many who do. Anecdotal stories and such, but I don't recall the last time I've seen someone standing in line at the grocery mart reading the little horoscope booklet.

I'm not going to pretend that my mind is a Teflon surface immune to the pull of mysticism or things like it, but I think the window of opportunity for it to seep in has narrowed. I drink coffee out of tiki mugs and have a stylized elephant god made from black-stained wood sitting on my desk, and I don't believe either are affecting the superstitious corner of my primate brain. This thread is the only thing reminding me that I rolled through a Meyers-Briggs (if you want to call Jung a misnomer) test in recent days, and the last things on my mind were the archetype compatibility flowcharts that float around facebook, comparative psychoanalysis, or how to apply it to my life.

It does surprise me a bit to learn that there are businesses who take it seriously, necessitating articles like this.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
I've noticed I have exactly one gray eyelash and, to make matters worse, it's jumped ship from the rest of the boys in the row and is all out of order from all the others.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I'm obviously an Aries
No shit.

Haha get it?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3728
I set up a last minute date with a girl I met for tomorrow morning and I really don't want to go. Having a minor panic attack really

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2016-01-24 22:32:02)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6299|Washington St.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I set up a last minute date with a girl
morning
Wut
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Having a minor panic attack really
Be sure to keep us updated.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6751|London

whats the worst that could happen
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It could be a trap.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6718|England. Stoke

Dauntless wrote:

whats the worst that could happen
Mac is convicted for being a sexual predator/deviant, although to be fair this probably isn't quite the worst case scenario in his case.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6299|Washington St.
anybody in the US that knows tax code semi-decently?

I work a part-time job in the winter selling xmas trees for shits with my buddies. I always mark 1 on my w-4 but I never get any federal income tax withheld. Always $0. This year I marked 0 on my w-4 but still nothing withheld. Ultimately I have to end up forking over ~$300 to the gov come tax time (i.e. now).

What's the minimum amount you have to make before they start withholding income tax (at federal level, we have no state income tax)?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3728
Yes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard