Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5377|London, England
Read it on a kindle.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

Don't own a kindle. Not a fan of ebooks so I would only use it for PDFs. Waste of money.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6650|949

I want to play golf but its raining
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Don't own a kindle. Not a fan of ebooks so I would only use it for PDFs. Waste of money.
l2piratebooks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

I looked at pirate sites and they have nothing I like to read. All sci fi and fantasy. Besides I like to own books. Some books are unreadable in e readers anyway.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Books with a lot of footnotes or pictures, yeah, but everything else works well. Just convert all pdf's to .mobi and you're good to go.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5197|Sydney
Learning how to use some mastering RTAS plugins for Pro Tools and it very nearly crashed my computer when I duplicated it from the master fader to the bus that's sending to the stereo audio track that's bouncing out internally within PT. Everything locked up for about ten minutes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6650|949

Macbeth wrote:

I looked at pirate sites and they have nothing I like to read. All sci fi and fantasy. Besides I like to own books. Some books are unreadable in e readers anyway.
project gutenberg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

Those are all old books
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4273

Jaekus wrote:

Learning how to use some mastering RTAS plugins for Pro Tools and it very nearly crashed my computer when I duplicated it from the master fader to the bus that's sending to the stereo audio track that's bouncing out internally within PT. Everything locked up for about ten minutes.
you're teaching yourself mastering? what about mixing? pretty neat. haven't used pro tools but looks really nice for sequencing and arranging.

i'm just trying to learn ableton. i could probably create a first world problems thread in-itself with all the woes this sort of hardcore software gives me.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4273

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

project gutenberg
you won't find anything on there that's still in author's copyright, i.e. 75-125 years.
Jaekus
+957|5197|Sydney
Yeah just learning how to do it to make some decent demos. It's sounding pretty good from where it was but I'm sure anyone who does it professionally would notice about a hundred glaring flaws. Still, it's fun and I'm learning a lot, and developing my ear. This is a five track demo of some cover songs to get some gigs. Each song is about one verse and chorus, just so potential venues can get a taste of what we sound like as a duo. It's only acoustic guitar and female vocals so it's pretty simple as far as the mixing side goes.

I'm using a plugin called Ozone 5 by Izotope, and found someone who did a tutorial on it over six videos on YouTube. Here's the first vid:

Note: he did a vid using Ozone 4 but I think he botched the mastering. This one he does a pretty good job. He also has Ableton tutorials as well. One day I'd like to give it a go as I understand it's good for writing electronic music?

Today I added some drums using Addictive Drums (using the piano roll as midi input) and played some bass to a track my girlfriend wrote (she's got dozens of songs). It's still rough and that track is not mixed nor has any vocals; it's just to flesh out the song a bit before my girlfriend sings on it (she wrote the song sans chords and I added chords and feel to it).

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-04-05 12:39:28)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6650|949

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

project gutenberg
you won't find anything on there that's still in author's copyright, i.e. 75-125 years.
yeah i know.  macbeth seems (kind of) interested in classics, which project gutenberg has in abundance.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4273
yeah i've heard of ozone. sounds pretty good. i'm staying clear of much compression or mastering plug-ins for a while. seems like a whole other side of it to learn.
Jaekus
+957|5197|Sydney
Compression is a very useful tool but it needs to be subtle or you will crush the dynamics, removing punch and energy if taken to extremes. If done well though it can actually add punch and energy.

Basically I try to get a good source sound for recording, make any edits afterwards (neaten up a strum or whatever here or there providing the rest of the take is good). I'll usually get two - three takes of each instrument so I've got enough to cut up into one really solid take and from there I will send the guitar takes to a guitar bus where I can then add effects to all the guitar takes simultaneously, and do the same for vocals etc.

Once that's done and the levels are tweaked I will then send all the buses to a master bus that then sends to a stereo audio track so I can bounce it out internally. Once the bounce is complete I will then export the audio to a folder on my PC, create a new Pro Tools session and import the audio there to make final edits (add pre and post fades and to save CPU power by closing all the other tracks down).

From there I will use the mastering software to enhance the sound by adding subtle EQ, compression, reverb, harmonic enhancement, widen the stereo field and perhaps some post EQ tweaks. The final part is to add final compression (more a limiter really) that just caps off the peak of the track to -0.1 dB so it will not clip. If I recorded it in 24 bit and want to burn it to a CD I can add dither at this stage to reduce it to 16 bit (I learned dither is there to add subtle noise to the audio that compensates for the lost of bits, and there are more options to customise all this).

The beauty about Ozone is it allows you to not only do all the mastering in one plugin, it's very comprehensive. I can not only add compression but actually choose and adjust the frequency bands I want to compress, the ratios and levels, etc. Same goes for the stereo field and reverb. Pretty neat. So rather than adding reverb to the whole track I can keep it out of the bottom end and only add a bit to the high mids and a bit extra to the highs, so they give the impression of space. It goes on and on from there.

tl;dr, it's a pretty involved process and I'm only scratching the surface.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-04-05 19:26:37)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4273
compression is used loads in dance/electronic music. particularly side-chaining with the kick drum. but then again a perfect balance and audio fidelity is seldom the point in dance music... more like just achieving a serious thomp and heft. with guitar-work and vocals you definitely have to know your stuff, and how to mix-down and EQ properly. with dance music you can more kinda play with the EQ and compression and really create some more 'out there' stuff. so long as it sounds good on monitors, it'll probably sound reasonably good in the club.

with that said, the latest generation of dance producers in the underground are really creating music that is insanely well produced/mixed/mastered. stuff that you can almost ONLY listen to on high-end club systems. so the 'DIY roughshod' approach is just one of many.
Jaekus
+957|5197|Sydney
Yeah compression is used quite heavily in dance, hip hop and top 40 commercial pop. The reasons are similar: to get the most volume out of the track. For dance and hip hop this is to give it tight bass and really sound like it's pushing a big system in a club. For top 40 it's more so it is as loud or louder than other songs that come on your radio. Radio by default heavily compresses everything so songs that go to radio don't need a large dynamic range.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

Looking for parking in NYC is murder
eleven bravo
+1,399|5278|foggy bottom
people in nyc dont know how to drive
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

Agreed
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5983|London, England

thats like making fun of people from nj that dont know how to pump gas
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5604

I have a general idea of how to do it.  I like not having to.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6756|Oxferd Ohire
it barely takes any work anyway
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5983|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

I have a general idea of how to do it.  I like not having to.
people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5278|foggy bottom
people are so lazy in nyc they take cabs to travel a couple of city blocks
Tu Stultus Es

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard