Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

actually plenty of people 'want' to work with their hands. it may be hard labour - to some - but to others the idea of sitting in an office all day is torture. some people are not inclined to be literary or mathematical. some people are practical; they like to effect change through a satisfying day's graft. there isn't this rigid hierarchy of misery->pleasure where the comfy white-collar office jobs are higher on a scale of self-fulfillment. i know a few people that have opted to go into an art/craft, or take up carpentry, or even work manual labour on building sites and the like. i actually have a friend who graduated from university (with a biochem degree), but then took an artisan brick-making/laying/adornment type course afterwards. he's now in australia working in construction. he likes working with his hands and enjoys seeing tangible progress. what's wrong with that?

you guys are terrible faux-snobs. you're snobby without even having anything proper to be snobby about. not all people working in trades or in jobs involving labour are serving some sort of penury, like dumb beasts with nothing better to do. you just tell yourself that to feel better about the yawning chasm that is corporate work (cause it's fucking boring 99% of the time, let's face it).
How am I being a snob when I said I have worked the trades after high school? I wasn't saying that people who go into trades are dumb. I am saying a ton go there because  they don't have the means to go the college route. That is why Jay's condensation is so wrong. Basically he is trying to make it sound like "they took the easy way out".
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5360|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

actually plenty of people 'want' to work with their hands. it may be hard labour - to some - but to others the idea of sitting in an office all day is torture. some people are not inclined to be literary or mathematical. some people are practical; they like to effect change through a satisfying day's graft. there isn't this rigid hierarchy of misery->pleasure where the comfy white-collar office jobs are higher on a scale of self-fulfillment. i know a few people that have opted to go into an art/craft, or take up carpentry, or even work manual labour on building sites and the like. i actually have a friend who graduated from university (with a biochem degree), but then took an artisan brick-making/laying/adornment type course afterwards. he's now in australia working in construction. he likes working with his hands and enjoys seeing tangible progress. what's wrong with that?

you guys are terrible faux-snobs. you're snobby without even having anything proper to be snobby about. not all people working in trades or in jobs involving labour are serving some sort of penury, like dumb beasts with nothing better to do. you just tell yourself that to feel better about the yawning chasm that is corporate work (cause it's fucking boring 99% of the time, let's face it).
This is true. Many of my wife's family friends gave up jobs as stock brokers and the like because they didn't receive any fulfillment from it. One of my FIL's friends worked for twenty years as a broker and decided to give up one day and become a high-end carpenter. The stuff he creates is beautiful, and because of those twenty years, he's still got more money than he knows what to do with. Sitting in an office all day and dealing with peoples bullshit gets old.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

How am I being a snob when I said I have worked the trades after high school? I wasn't saying that people who go into trades are dumb. I am saying a ton go there because  they don't have the means to go the college route. That is why Jay's condensation is so wrong. Basically he is trying to make it sound like "they took the easy way out".
I wasn't being condescending at all. It's a fact that more women go to college than men do these days. I was simply saying that if I had been offered a job paying $110k/yr out of high school I probably would've jumped at it and skipped college. Union trade workers make bank in this region, and if you've been to a job site and seen them work, you'd know they don't work all that hard for the money either.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
My last job was in an academic environment but it was all hands on, crafty lab work. It was so much more satisfying than computer work which I did before that or any type of retail.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

"and if you've been to a job site and seen them work, you'd know they don't work all that hard for the money either." Like I said you think they took the easy way out. And lol at making a $100,000 for working in the trades right out of highschool. That is a common experience...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It's not the easy way, but they really don't work hard very often. I'm talking union trades, just so we're clear.

Last edited by Jay (2013-02-04 14:19:49)

-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

My multi-reader floppy drive isn't hooked up so I have to use a my laptop to transfer pics off a camera without USB. And it's in the other room.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

Cydia servers are overloaded Can't load new jailbreak goodies till the traffic dies down.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Girl I was supposed to go out with tonight rescheduled for Weds. Said she is too tired after her classes today.

She is probably having a train ran on her as we speak. And in the background they are playing Sandstorm
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

Was supposed to be having a nice dinner with a pretty girl but am now going home to have KFC with a lizard I don't want.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Did you just say that you don't want your lizard? o.O
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

My bank account looks smaller since buying a car.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

This is true. Many of my wife's family friends gave up jobs as stock brokers and the like because they didn't receive any fulfillment from it. One of my FIL's friends worked for twenty years as a broker and decided to give up one day and become a high-end carpenter. The stuff he creates is beautiful, and because of those twenty years, he's still got more money than he knows what to do with. Sitting in an office all day and dealing with peoples bullshit gets old.
Working on site gets old pretty quickly.
I've done both, I'm good with my hands and I'd really like to keep them uninjured.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6325|Graz, Austria

Macbeth wrote:

Was supposed to be having a nice dinner with a pretty girl but am now going home to have KFC with a lizard I don't want.
Eat your lizard!
Money saved and problem solved.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

I've done both, I'm good with my hands and I'd really like to keep them uninjured.
Then wear gloves and don't drop shit on them. Poor personal safety is what pissed off my grandpa and I about my dad. He's good about earplugs, but spotty about eye/face protection, doesn't wear steel toes and hardly ever wears leather work gloves even when he has them scattered all over the office, warehouse and trucks. Wore out his knees skiing but won't wear braces and wonders why they hurt when he hops out of the back of vehicles.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Woke up at 2:45am and can't get back to sleep.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My hipster post got deleted

This one:

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:

Typical Hipster
  • The typical hipster is generally an unemployed, angry, self-loathing faggot in his late teens to early twenties. May openly claim to be trying to "discover his place in life."
  • Many will claim to have lots of enemies and no close friends due to being "misunderstood." Be warned, this is merely a ploy to gain sympathy.
  • Those not familiar with the culture will come to discover very quickly that most don't particularly enjoy the company of your typical hipster because he is an angst-ridden, narcissistic douchebag who bitches and moans about as much as your 13-year old sister.
  • It will insist that you are a conformist for any variety of reasons. It will go as far to insinuate every living being on the planet is a conformist, the exception being himself.
  • It may openly claim to dislike the hippie culture. This is hilariously ironic, as hippies are incredibly dirty and your typical hipster dresses like a homeless person, frequently carries an STD and rarely showers.
  • It will have gone through several fads in high school before having settled on hipster. These may include, but are not limited to punk, scene, emo and goth.
  • It does not have a concentrated attention span, and its interests are evenly distributed in the avant-garde, hip art, music, fashion, etc.
  • It may carry an appreciation for European culture.
  • It holds an odd fascination for really bad, cult indie films. Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" is no exception, ever. Seriously, this movie is like the Napoleon Dynamite of the hipster culture. Every fucking hipster and their grandmother quotes this shit endlessly.
  • It may dress decadently, but not as overly indulgent and gay as the avant garde hipster.
  • It will only listen to bands you've never heard of. If non-hipsters ever adopt this music, they will quickly lose interest
  • It enjoys art and literature, but doesn't know fuck all about how to create either.
  • It may claim to be an anarchist, nihilist or existentialist, but knows little to fuck all regarding the ideals behind any of aforementioned movements.
  • Loafers are the designated footwear of hipster fashion. The loafers indicate that the hipster has successfully courted and stolen from an elderly man, retrieving their loafers as a prize.
  • It must use aviator or Ray Ban knockoffs and other massive glasses to block out the sun
  • It rides a "fixie" bike, i.e. a bike that can't coast and has no brakes, because conventional bikes and cars are too mainstream. May endlessly attempt to pound the notion into others that "he had a fixie before they were cool."
  • It may express a sense of "ironic" enjoyment for bad '80s bands and unfashionable clothing, but it secretly actually likes some of that shit.
  • If by some miracle it managed to get accepted into a university, it will most likely be found studying English, Philosophy, History, A Foreign Language, Graphic Design and various other concentrations in Art.
  • It will always own an iPhone and other various Apple products. In fact, the majority of people who work in Mac Stores or for Apple tech support are in fact, hipsters.
  • It is essentially a walking stereotype and due to this will carry with it no trace of a genuine personality or intellect outside of aforesaid traits.
  • As a new trend of 2011, Hipsters of all kind just have to have a sort of fascination with the Galaxy/Space. But sadly enough, Hipsters don't have enough knowledge on why they like it. They only do because they like for its pretty colors, its oh-so-originality, and to try to hide the fact that they are all the same damn stereo-type.
  • It always have to associate itself with its obsession with TRIANGLES. Probably from playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess way too often.
  • After smoking pot, hipsters beat up 70 year olds for their loafers.
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Hipste … al_Hipster

I spent ages BBCoding bullet points and stuff. It was the high point of my day now its the low point.

Edit: By the power of Greyskull the BBCode has been restored. On that basis I should probably repost it in the 'Good things which happened' thread.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-06 01:06:05)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Does it mention dubstep?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Then wear gloves and don't drop shit on them. Poor personal safety is what pissed off my grandpa and I about my dad. He's good about earplugs, but spotty about eye/face protection, doesn't wear steel toes and hardly ever wears leather work gloves even when he has them scattered all over the office, warehouse and trucks. Wore out his knees skiing but won't wear braces and wonders why they hurt when he hops out of the back of vehicles.
Brilliant, I never thought of that, I'll re-write the company H+S policy to read "Don't have any accidents or do anything strenuous or tiring".
Genius.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

AussieReaper wrote:

Does it mention dubstep?
It will only listen to bands you've never heard of. If non-hipsters ever adopt this music, they will quickly lose interest
Hence the Skrillex hate.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Brilliant, I never thought of that, I'll re-write the company H+S policy to read "Don't have any accidents or do anything strenuous or tiring".
Genius.
ur so smrt

wearing safety gear & being cautious = less injuries
wearing safety gear & being cautious ≠ no accidents at all

HURP DE DURP IM GONNA NOT TAKE ANY PRECASHUNS BECUZ I MITE GET HURT ANYWAY
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

My phone stopped recognizing its SD card so I can't take pictures
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD
You can't just store them on the phone memory and then move them when you get a new card?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
us mens soccer sucks
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

_j5689_ wrote:

You can't just store them on the phone memory and then move them when you get a new card?
Guess not. It doesn't help that they make these things a bitch to open up

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard