13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

dayum, i have been neglecting my coffee service - i found some Panama beans hiding out with some Kona beans in my grinder, and there was grounds from 3 whole days ago!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

People. Driving. In. My. Blind. Spot.

For miles.
pull out on them
Not gonna squirrel around in blinding rain. I can try speeding up a bit or slowing down, but it's even more irritating when they match speeds.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma
that's nothing. Try merging 4 lanes into 2 in Italy. When there is only one marked.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
I was driving at around 80mph in LA with three passengers on a freeway, onto a slip lane that connected to another freeway when another lane merged with the single lane we were in. The front car of five merged in under a second and was literally a foot or two, no more, from the rear of our car. Concrete all around us. If I had been a fraction of a second slower it would've clipped the rear of our car, spun is into the concrete with four other cars smashing into us at high speed. I checked with the others to make sure I did not miss any signs or road markings and they said there were none and as far as we could all determine neither my driving nor that of the other cars contravened any road rules, other than the fact I was speeding 5mph over the limit, which ironically was the key factor that prevented our deaths.

tl;dr - poor road design and high speed is fucking dangerous.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
if you were driving slower you may have avoided it all together
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
Yeah, at like 20mph under the limit.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
depends how long you were going 80
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
/faster than limit
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
I can't imagine a 75 MPH highway, the most they go around here is 65 and that's only ever on some parts of Route 50.  75-80 seems crazy fast for regular traffic
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

80 is what everyone does in the passing lane in NJ. Speed limit is 65 but you are expected to go above that. Police have driven behind me while I have been doing 80 and blinked their lights to get me out of the way so that they could do 90-100in the passing lane.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma

_j5689_ wrote:

I can't imagine a 75 MPH highway, the most they go around here is 65 and that's only ever on some parts of Route 50.  75-80 seems crazy fast for regular traffic
70 is 'limit' in UK, but you won't get pulled over at all unless you do more then 80. Most do 80 on inside lane, and in Italy I won't go slower than 80-90 because there is nothing they will do to punish me (and no one cares).

Bad road design is most of the problem in Italy IMO. So many things don't make sense that people just do what they want, because to follow the rules would cause so many hold-ups and disruptions. On the other hand, there are a shit load more accidents of all kinds that I've seen than I have ever seen in the UK.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
It had not occurred to me till last night that mental health community services in Sydney would be more concentrated in lower socioeconomic areas, which means travel from my higher socioeconomic neighbourhood to work will be 25+km each direction.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Getting grossed out by shit-covered toilet paper in public restroom trash cans.

FFS, my Mexican friends: our fucking plumbing works on this side of the border. Flush that disgusting shit!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6497

Jaekus wrote:

I was driving at around 80mph in LA with three passengers on a freeway, onto a slip lane that connected to another freeway when another lane merged with the single lane we were in. The front car of five merged in under a second and was literally a foot or two, no more, from the rear of our car. Concrete all around us. If I had been a fraction of a second slower it would've clipped the rear of our car, spun is into the concrete with four other cars smashing into us at high speed. I checked with the others to make sure I did not miss any signs or road markings and they said there were none and as far as we could all determine neither my driving nor that of the other cars contravened any road rules, other than the fact I was speeding 5mph over the limit, which ironically was the key factor that prevented our deaths.

tl;dr - poor road design and high speed is fucking dangerous.
that's not poor design. that was beginner's luck, and anyone who's driven in LA knows when a rookie driver's on the road . . .
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
windows wants me to install fingerprint card reader drivers
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Just got a quote from a company that does pipefitting and they get $55/hr plus costs and surveyed the job to take four people, five to six days to complete. It's 30 ft of pipe, 4 valves, and a pump. I could do it in a day and a half

I'm in the wrong line of work

Last edited by Jay (2013-02-04 12:22:02)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

RTHKI wrote:

windows wants me to install fingerprint card reader drivers
Mine actually works pretty well on this laptop. Only issue I find is that the time it takes to enter the password and the time it takes to verify your finger-print is actually in favor of just typing the password.

It's kind of useless everywhere really. If you leave you laptop in public areas unguarded (they'll just steal it instead...) or you want to avoid someone messing with the comp it's no help. You can always bypass the fingerprint reader with a back-up password, so there is no advantage there.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
good thing i dont have a fingerprint reader
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

we all already knew that

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-04 12:28:39)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

we all already knew that
$55/hr to weld a few pipes and hang them seven feet in the air. No wonder so many men choose trades instead of college.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

we all already knew that
$55/hr to weld a few pipes and hang them seven feet in the air. No wonder so many men choose trades instead of college.
you mean no wonder so many of those disgusting and uncouth working class poor people you left behind choose trades instead of college

amirite

savages
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

we all already knew that
you mean no wonder so many of those disgusting and uncouth working class poor people you left behind choose trades instead of college

amirite

savages
Yeah, sure.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

we all already knew that
The probably overwhelming majority of people who go into trades do it because they have to not because they want to. I have worked with and around people in trades for awhile now and I haven't met one person who would take a dirty job working with their hands over 4 years of college and an entry level office job.

It is why people in trades can charge so much and why the lesser skilled trades are done by illegal immigrants. No one wants to do that stuff. If given a choice people will smartly take the white collar over the blue. Sure they make $55 a hour (when they have work) but no is proud to tell their potential in laws they lay pipe for a living.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
actually plenty of people 'want' to work with their hands. it may be hard labour - to some - but to others the idea of sitting in an office all day is torture. some people are not inclined to be literary or mathematical. some people are practical; they like to effect change through a satisfying day's graft. there isn't this rigid hierarchy of misery->pleasure where the comfy white-collar office jobs are higher on a scale of self-fulfillment. i know a few people that have opted to go into an art/craft, or take up carpentry, or even work manual labour on building sites and the like. i actually have a friend who graduated from university (with a biochem degree), but then took an artisan brick-making/laying/adornment type course afterwards. he's now in australia working in construction. he likes working with his hands and enjoys seeing tangible progress. what's wrong with that?

you guys are terrible faux-snobs. you're snobby without even having anything proper to be snobby about. not all people working in trades or in jobs involving labour are serving some sort of penury, like dumb beasts with nothing better to do. you just tell yourself that to feel better about the yawning chasm that is corporate work (cause it's fucking boring 99% of the time, let's face it).

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-04 13:32:01)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5965|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

we all already knew that
The probably overwhelming majority of people who go into trades do it because they have to not because they want to. I have worked with and around people in trades for awhile now and I haven't met one person who would take a dirty job working with their hands over 4 years of college and an entry level office job.

It is why people in trades can charge so much and why the lesser skilled trades are done by illegal immigrants. No one wants to do that stuff. If given a choice people will smartly take the white collar over the blue. Sure they make $55 a hour (when they have work) but no is proud to tell their potential in laws they lay pipe for a living.
Id look my father in law in the eyes and tell him I lay pipe for a living followed by a wink and a "nah mean"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard