Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Publishers do have a huge marketing power. They're going to still remain as a barrier to entry for most authors.
That is the main reason to sign with a publisher, yes. Not easy to get your book read without an ad in the NYT Book Review or a seat on a talk show.
omg that's what my teacher at uni said too!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Jay wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. They make more profit with much less overhead selling a digital copy of a book compared to selling a physical copy. They really only jack up the digital price on new releases, and then the price magically drops when the mass-market paperbacks have sold out their first run.
You can't make a profit if no one uses your publishing house. Did you not read where I said that the format is threatening publisher's monopoly?
I did a research: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2011/03 … -than.html

Amazon is actually taking a loss when they sell hardcovers below the e-book price. They're banking that people will pay the extra $2 for convenience.
Jay, this is just unbelievably stupid. Why would they not consider opportunity cost as a problem? Probably because the benefits of cutting out the publishers outweigh the current short-term opportunity cost which actually amounts to only only potential being sacrificed, and nothing else. I don't even think it took an actuary to calculate that improving market share would be advantageous far into the future and likely to occur if you squeeze out publishers.

EDIT- it should be noted that Amazon is involved in both the ebook and physical book market. They don't have to bank on anything. They survive no matter what; it's just a matter of how much they can make in the future.

Last edited by Pochsy (2013-01-28 17:27:18)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Jay wrote:

Amazon is actually taking a loss when they sell hardcovers below the e-book price. They're banking that people will pay the extra $2 for convenience.
Currently, if I need more shelf space I just buy more shelves. But if I was plain out of room, I wouldn't have any qualms about tossing in an extra couple of bucks for the e-book. Meanwhile, I'm happily taking advantage of low hard copy prices and am not about to complain.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You can't make a profit if no one uses your publishing house. Did you not read where I said that the format is threatening publisher's monopoly?

Jay, this is just unbelievably stupid. Why would they not consider opportunity cost as a problem? Probably because the benefits of cutting out the publishers outweigh the current short-term opportunity cost which actually amounts to only only potential being sacrificed, and nothing else. I don't even think it took an actuary to calculate that improving market share would be advantageous far into the future and likely to occur if you squeeze out publishers.

EDIT- it should be noted that Amazon is involved in both the ebook and physical book market. They don't have to bank on anything. They survive no matter what; it's just a matter of how much they can make in the future.
Why would Amazon want to destroy the publishers? Nah, that's not a good plan for them. Who's going to discover new writers and do all the marketing work? No one wants to buy books from no name, unreviewed writers. They were trying to destroy B&N and Borders if anything, and in Borders' case, it worked. Publishers and Amazon have a very symbiotic relationship.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Currently, if I need more shelf space I just buy more shelves. But if I was plain out of room, I wouldn't have any qualms about tossing in an extra couple of bucks for the e-book. Meanwhile, I'm happily taking advantage of low hard copy prices and am not about to complain.
I have a bit of a book collecting problem, so I made the switch to buying used hardcovers a while ago.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5543|Toronto

Jay wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jay wrote:

Why would Amazon want to destroy the publishers? Nah, that's not a good plan for them. Who's going to discover new writers and do all the marketing work? No one wants to buy books from no name, unreviewed writers. They were trying to destroy B&N and Borders if anything, and in Borders' case, it worked. Publishers and Amazon have a very symbiotic relationship.
How do people upload their books directly? People won't buy if they aren't quality. It destroys publishers market share: they become copy editors, not monolithic gatekeepers. Sure they need them, but they don't need them enough to only take 30%. They're changing power relations, and may just as easily buy them out and create a division.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Amazon makes and saves more money by using ebooks. They don't fill up warehouse space and because of how quickly people get them they can be sold as impulse buys more than other stuff Amazon has. Never mind the fact that Amazon makes the reader. And if traditional publishers are killed off you can bet Amazon would a move in to fill in their former role in terms of marketing and pushing ebooks.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have a bit of a book collecting problem, so I made the switch to buying used hardcovers a while ago.
Being a book collector myself, I can say for sure that sometimes the only copy of a book you can find is used. Unless you skim on top of new releases only, there's no "switch" to make.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Being a book collector myself, I can say for sure that sometimes the only copy of a book you can find is used. Unless you skim on top of new releases only, there's no "switch" to make.
I don't really buy new releases very often unless it's an author I really like and have read before, and if that's the case I pay full retail so the author makes some money.
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6623|Little Bentcock
I buy new releases all the time. books are worth the money.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6737|Oxferd Ohire
not textbooks
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

not textbooks
I don't miss the days of $300 textbooks
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Adams_BJ wrote:

Sometimes.

Jay wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

not textbooks
Try $300 psychology textbooks which are only useful as kindling long-term.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

Usually you can find about 3/4 of textbooks online for /free/.  I still prefer hard copies over a pdf any day.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

oh god what have I started
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Good luck doing that in the late 90's as easily.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The study released today  by the Government Accountability Office, which was requested last year by U.S. Rep. David Wu (D-Ore.), offers some evidence, as student groups have asserted, that textbook prices have risen sharply -- at twice the rate of inflation over the past two decades. But the study by the GAO, which is Congress's investigative arm, also supports arguments by publishers that the increases have been driven in large part by "the increased investment publishers have made in new products to enhance instruction and learning."
Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2005 … z2JKJXJc2i

Launching a new edition every three years to destroy the used market while changing some font colors and rearranging the end of chapter questions apparently qualifies as 'increased investment'
-Frederick Bastiat
Adams_BJ

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Sometimes.

Jay wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

not textbooks
Try $300 psychology textbooks which are only useful as kindling long-term.
Well obviously you pick the ones you are gonna like..
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6312

Brasso wrote:

bugz wrote:

A book in the Canadian Kindle store is $12 more expensive than the US Kindle store
what book?
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007US9 … s_o00__i00

I did end up buying it. I'm not sure what page I was on before but it wasn't as expensive as I originally thought.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

includes free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
Adams_BJ

Winston_Churchill wrote:

includes free international wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
Phew!
Adams_BJ
shifty gave me an aneurysm,
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Arguing with wingnuts is aggravating enough without dealing with imported wingnuts as well.

fwp
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
I still can't work out if Sh1fty is a real person or the gruesome creation of a Frankenstein-esque troll genius.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
Picked holes in shifty's arguments, will probably be accused of "bullying" him again.

fwp

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard