Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto

TSI wrote:

Nicely done.

For the first time in my academic career, I'm going to have to actually so some research for an essay. How did this happen?
What? Or do you mean in-depth research? How do you take 15 courses and not have to read an article or two get the page numbers to hit the citation requirements...
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6772|St. Andrews / Oslo

I did some entry-level philosophy modules (as electives, I guess you 'mericuns would call it), which genuinely required zero extra-reading.

As in, you'd get an essay/exam question like 'Is it bad to eat meat?' or 'Is philosopher x's argument about y valid?', in which case the former is all about shitting your thoughts onto a piece of paper, and the later about reading some passages and then shitting your thoughts onto a piece of paper.

But I guess it was in preparation for later higher-level modules or something. Was still a bit weird. Easiest credits I've ever got, anyway. Well, that and Statistics when I was still doing Economics.

Also, citation requirements? I've never had those.. We've always used common sense...
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto

Jenspm wrote:

Also, citation requirements? I've never had those.. We've always used common sense...
Yeah, when they term it a 'research paper' you're expected to have done some extra research and to provide citations/references. Maybe he lied through entire works cited and listed things he hadn't read and provided false references throughout the papers, I don't know. In that case it's a miracle he didn't get called out at least once in 3 years.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6772|St. Andrews / Oslo

Pochsy wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Yeah, when they term it a 'research paper' you're expected to have done some extra research and to provide citations/references.
Well yes, of course you're expected to have citations, I meant we've never been given a target number.

E.g., 'minimum x citations'
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6756

Jenspm wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Yeah, when they term it a 'research paper' you're expected to have done some extra research and to provide citations/references.
Well yes, of course you're expected to have citations, I meant we've never been given a target number.

E.g., 'minimum x citations'
Our uni still lashes out the bare minimum and give out styling penalties, since some dickheads have not understood the concept of citation (won't boost your marks, but will take points off for not follow a format).
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6021|Toronto

Pochsy wrote:

TSI wrote:

Nicely done.

For the first time in my academic career, I'm going to have to actually so some research for an essay. How did this happen?
What? Or do you mean in-depth research? How do you take 15 courses and not have to read an article or two get the page numbers to hit the citation requirements...
I've alwasy done it the other way around: I write what I know, then look up specific articles/books/whatever that substantiate my arguments for citations. Basically, I've always been in a situation where I choose to write about stuff I know, whether through specific thesis choice or general course choice.
Also, it's such bullshit that you have to reference everything. Why is it that no student is supposedly capable of producing original material? (I'm not talking about empirical evidence, ofc, more about analytical positions or philosophical arguments).
I like pie.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto

TSI wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

TSI wrote:

Nicely done.

I've alwasy done it the other way around: I write what I know, then look up specific articles/books/whatever that substantiate my arguments for citations. Basically, I've always been in a situation where I choose to write about stuff I know, whether through specific thesis choice or general course choice.
Also, it's such bullshit that you have to reference everything. Why is it that no student is supposedly capable of producing original material? (I'm not talking about empirical evidence, ofc, more about analytical positions or philosophical arguments).
Ah, I get it. Yeah, in that case I pretty well do the same more often than not. Your definition of research is just more narrow than my own. Often it works out that in the process of trying to legitimize my own opinions by finding someone who said it first, I run into an argument I had not considered which can strengthen my position.

I think they simply don't expect you to be able to use the same diction as a preexisting expression of the position, or to produce the same series of syllogisms with the exact same caveats. I think to an extent they realize there is simply shit we all take for granted, and that nobody is going to site Thucydides for their use of Realism.

Last edited by Pochsy (2012-10-12 18:12:08)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto
One of the graduate schools recommended to me requires 5 years of work experience to apply. I need the degree to get a job to put in my 5 years.
/FWP.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6231|Roma
catch 23
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6021|Toronto
Which school?
I like pie.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto

TSI wrote:

Which school?
It's only York, which is perhaps my 3rd choice at best. Surprisingly they have a pretty good policy school, which is likely due to the fact that everyone there is already a professional doing a second degree to move within their field. I could apply, but even if I am offered a position (unlikely given demand) it is on the condition that I complete 3 pre-req courses (4th year courses, I think) in which I have to score 85 or above. I don't know how hard that is at York, but I feel it's too much hassle for a school I don't really care to attend in the first place.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5076|Massachusetts, USA
My girlfriend is better than me at mario kart.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5625

4 years after I got this number I am still getting phone calls looking for a guy named Meena. His bank has called me, his doctors, his family, his friends.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6757|Riva, MD
I'm glad all the weird Mexicans have stopped calling me now looking for some person whose name doesn't seem to have any nouns from the way it sounds.

They seem to have gotten replaced with "Congratulations, you've won a free trip to ______" calls though
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5583|Toronto

_j5689_ wrote:

I'm glad all the weird Mexicans have stopped calling me now looking for some person whose name doesn't seem to have any nouns from the way it sounds.

They seem to have gotten replaced with "Congratulations, you've won a free trip to ______" calls though
A name without a noun.

That's...nope.

Do you mean consonants or vowels?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6757|Riva, MD
I doubt it actually was that way, I can't even remember what the name sounded like.  It just sounded like people were asking me if they could speak to Thrp Trvs or something
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5218|Sydney

Pochsy wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

A name without a noun.

That's...nope.

Do you mean consonants or vowels?
lol I was wondering the same thing.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6757|Riva, MD
Yeah I meant vowels, fuck my brain lmao

fwp: My parents are out in the living room talking to each other about living wills and how one of them wouldn't one to live on a respirator, depressing stuff, lol.  They're only 52(mom) and 46(dad)

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-10-14 14:13:50)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5625

Why did your dad marry someone 6 years older than him?

Last edited by Macbeth (2012-10-14 14:18:13)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5218|Sydney
Because age is such a prerequisite for marriage.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6757|Riva, MD
From what I heard from my brother, my mom was my dad's first girlfriend when he was only 19 and just moved to MD from Buffalo, NY and things progressed from there and they got married in 1989.  They're divorced now as of 3 or 4 years ago but they still talk about shit as friends all the time, some things more serious like this will stuff and some things mundane.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6754|Purplicious Wisconsin
Is it just me, or is everyone but me on BF2s now have parents that are divorced?

Last edited by War Man (2012-10-14 14:42:33)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5398|London, England
Who says proper family values produce well adjusted normal kids?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6754|Purplicious Wisconsin

Jay wrote:

Then I suggest you get divorced if you want well adjusted normal kids, according to your beliefs that is.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6749|England. Stoke

War Man wrote:

Jay wrote:

Then I suggest you get divorced if you want well adjusted normal kids, according to your beliefs that is.
oh Jesus...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard